Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rand Paul: Generals are corrupting Trump's anti-war instincts

Rand Paul: Generals are corrupting Trump's anti-war instincts

Rand Paul: Generals are corrupting Trump's anti-war instincts

by Steven Nelson
    Feb 11, 2018

Sen. Rand Paul said Sunday President Trump’s anti-war instincts are being muted by generals he’s named to senior positions in his administration.

The Kentucky Republican said he believes Trump is "the least interventionist-minded president we've had in a long time," but that advisers are pushing back on the impulse.

“This is something that we've seen even going back to Reagan. Conservatives said, 'Oh, we love Reagan,' and then the people appointed around him were all big government types,” Paul said on CBS' "Face the Nation."

“I think Donald Trump is probably the least interventionist-minded president we've had in a long time. I mean, he criticized George Bush for the intervention in the Iraq War. I think he's not that excited about continuing the Afghan war forever, but the generals he's surrounded him[self] with don't want to admit there's not a military solution. So the war goes on and on and on,” Paul said.

read more:
    http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/ra...rticle/2648773

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Ya hopefully Trump will tire of this all very soon. My initial guesses of 6 months to a year may have been a little bit optimistic.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    Ya hopefully Trump will tire of this all very soon. My initial guesses of 6 months to a year may have been a little bit optimistic.
    Huh, ya think?

Is that an apology for all the rude things you called people who doubted your 'optimistic' assessment?
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    We believe our lying eyes...

Quote Originally Posted by acptulsa View Post
    Huh, ya think?

Is that an apology for all the rude things you called people who doubted your 'optimistic' assessment?
    Is that an apology for beating your mom?
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Huh, ya think?

Lol. Ain't gonna happen.

Yeah- Trump is totally against using the military.

More bombing on Syria. Iraq. Afghanistan (used biggest non-nuclear weapon ever dropped). Yemen. Threatens to attack Iran, North Korea. Venezuela.

During the election campaign he promised to bomb the $#@! out of ISIS and also talked about bombing Iranian oilfields and seizing their oil.

Trump likes being Tough Guy. His generals actually try to keep him in check.

And he is the Commander in Chief (though he does like to farm out decision making-avoiding the hard details on things and taking credit when things go well and passing on blame when they don't).
    Last edited by Zippyjuan; 02-11-2018 at 06:11 PM.

Never back an opponent into a corner where he will become obstinate. Allow him an honorable "out." Politics 101. Sun Tzu would be proud.

Ha ha ha ha ha,ha,ha.

Maybe just a tad
    "The Patriarch"

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    President Trump sounds a lot like Rand Paul – or even his father Ron Paul – during military meetings by asking generals why they won’t bring the troops home.
    This is according to a story in the Washington Post which tried to smear the president as “impulsive” – yet reading deeper into the article reveals that Trump leans libertarian when it comes to foreign policy – more so than previously known.
    For one thing, the president wonders why the US is in Somalia of all places:
    He has repeatedly pressed Mattis and McMaster in stark terms to explain why U.S. troops are in Somalia. “Can’t we just pull out?” he has asked, according to U.S. officials.
    And Trump questioned US involvement in Afghanistan, which is now the country’s longest war:
    In a meeting with his top national security aides, the president grew frustrated.
    “You guys want me to send troops everywhere,” Trump said, according to officials in the Situation Room meeting. “What’s the justification?”
    “Sir, we’re doing it to prevent a bomb from going off in Times Square,” Mattis replied.
    The response angered Trump, who insisted that Mattis could make the same argument about almost any country on the planet.

More at: https://www.infowars.com/trump-chann...tary-meetings/
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

President Trump sounds a lot like Rand Paul – or even his father Ron Paul – during military meetings by asking generals why they won’t bring the troops home.
    This is according to a story in the Washington Post which tried to smear the president as “impulsive” – yet reading deeper into the article reveals that Trump leans libertarian when it comes to foreign policy – more so than previously known.
    For one thing, the president wonders why the US is in Somalia of all places:
    He has repeatedly pressed Mattis and McMaster in stark terms to explain why U.S. troops are in Somalia. “Can’t we just pull out?” he has asked, according to U.S. officials.
    And Trump questioned US involvement in Afghanistan, which is now the country’s longest war:
    In a meeting with his top national security aides, the president grew frustrated.
    “You guys want me to send troops everywhere,” Trump said, according to officials in the Situation Room meeting. “What’s the justification?”
    “Sir, we’re doing it to prevent a bomb from going off in Times Square,” Mattis replied.
    The response angered Trump, who insisted that Mattis could make the same argument about almost any country on the planet.

More at: https://www.infowars.com/trump-chann...tary-meetings/

And remember the US airstrike on a Syrian airfield that made Trump appear aggressive? The strike was the “most limited” military option presented to Trump, according to the New York Times – and it effectively neutered Trump’s enemies at the time who were pressuring him to go to war.While this isn’t an endorsement of the strike – it did kill a Syrian pilot – it is worth pointing out that the attack left the runway unharmed, meaning the air base was left operational for Syria to continue air strikes on ISIS.
    It’s as if Trump wanted to appear he could wage war, while maintaining some of the restraint of Rand Paul.
    Last edited by dannno; 02-13-2018 at 04:23 PM.

[/FONT][/FONT]

It's still not good enough yet, if he doesn't start to make major changes like leaving Afghanistan then his personal preferences (if true) will have been worthless.
    I posted the article because it shows that Rand isn't just talking through his hat as some people claimed.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

It's still not good enough yet, if he doesn't start to make major changes like leaving Afghanistan then his personal preferences (if true) will have been worthless.
    I posted the article because it shows that Rand isn't just talking through his hat as some people claimed.
    Yes, but it plays PRECISELY into what I've been saying all along, even before the election. Other people here think Trump wants to go kill and bomb people for fun, I'm not saying Trump is perfect, just making the point that they don't know what the $#@! they are talking about.

He said he was going to go after ISIS, so I expected some military action for a short time after he was President to get rid of ISIS.

Trump has actually been successful, ISIS is almost gone. But to do that, he had to give the military a bunch of power to actually go after them. The problem is they wanna do a bunch of other crap too, and unfortunately they've been able to get away with it.

So as he was putting his cabinet together we saw that he was bringing in less than desirable people and giving them free reign to reach some goals. But Trump is not a guy who likes to waste money. But he is also patient. So once he reaches his goals, and we are pretty close, I think we will see a significant drop in military activity coming out of the Trump admin. I also think we are going to see a lot of cuts in government spending in the future, but again he needs to cooperate to get some of his other goals reached.

If all he did was cut spending, congress probably wouldn't do a very good job anyway, it would get all caught up in the process and he probably wouldn't get a lot of the other things done that he is trying to accomplish before getting to spending cuts.

Account Restricted. Admin to review account standing

Yes, but it plays PRECISELY into what I've been saying all along, even before the election. Other people here think Trump wants to go kill and bomb people for fun, I'm not saying Trump is perfect, just making the point that they don't know what the $#@! they are talking about.

He said he was going to go after ISIS, so I expected some military action for a short time after he was President to get rid of ISIS.

Trump has actually been successful, ISIS is almost gone. But to do that, he had to give the military a bunch of power to actually go after them. The problem is they wanna do a bunch of other crap too, and unfortunately they've been able to get away with it.

So as he was putting his cabinet together we saw that he was bringing in less than desirable people and giving them free reign to reach some goals. But Trump is not a guy who likes to waste money. But he is also patient. So once he reaches his goals, and we are pretty close, I think we will see a significant drop in military activity coming out of the Trump admin. I also think we are going to see a lot of cuts in government spending in the future, but again he needs to cooperate to get some of his other goals reached.

If all he did was cut spending, congress probably wouldn't do a very good job anyway, it would get all caught up in the process and he probably wouldn't get a lot of the other things done that he is trying to accomplish before getting to spending cuts.
    Trump is a builder by trade. He's never been a hawk. How can one make America great again by stationing troops in Somalia? It goes against his instincts.

Quote Originally Posted by AuH20 View Post
    Trump is a builder by trade. He's never been a hawk. How can one make America great again by stationing troops in Somalia? It goes against his instincts.
    That's why...

Once Trump gets what he wants from the MIC (a win against ISIS), he will start cutting them out.

Once Trump gets what he wants from the MIC (a win against ISIS), he will start cutting them out.
    Easier said than done.

Easier said than done.
    Pretty sure he has a plan. He always does. He is a smart cookie.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    That's why...

We have heard that one before.

Pretty sure he has a plan. He always does.
    But this isn't some building commission. This is some of the most dangerous people on the planet.

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post

Son of Bush doesn't count. Trump has always been a foreign policy skeptic, going back to the early 80s. But such a rebellion could be a life altering decision.

Son of Bush doesn't count. Trump has always been a foreign policy skeptic, going back to the early 80s. But such a rebellion could be a life altering decision.
    Is that why he is bombing more than Obama and threatened to attack Iran, North Korea, and Venezuela? Because he doesn't want to get involved?

Really who gives a $#@! [edit: what the excuse is as long as] if we bring the troops home?

But, this looks pretty solid to me:

Last edited by dannno; 02-13-2018 at 11:58 PM.

But this isn't some building commission. This is some of the most dangerous people on the planet.
    Ya, and so far he has been doing a pretty great job. I'm sure it would be nice to have some encouragement.

We may have some actual investigations against the swamp forthcoming.

Ya, and so far he has been doing a pretty great job. I'm sure it would be nice to have some encouragement.

We may have some actual investigations against the swamp forthcoming.
    Awesome job.

http://foreignpolicy.com/2017/09/18/...ree-countries/

U.S. Bombs Falling in Record Numbers In Three Countries

Trump’s looser authorities for airstrikes have unleashed huge increases in ordnance in Afghanistan, Iraq, and Syria.

Awesome job.

Is that the Soros propaganda again????

Agreed.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Really who gives a $#@! if we bring the troops home?
    You did, back when you were using the promise that Trump would do so as a selling point.

Still sucking your Alpha Dog, yet still haven't noticed he has no balls. You're cucking for something that was neutered. Stop embarrassing yourself.
    We believe our lying eyes...

Last edited by Swordsmyth; 02-14-2018 at 12:35 AM.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

That may be the most embarrassing thing you have ever posted.

Besides the moral considerations if we don't bring the troops home we won't stop hemorrhaging money like a hemophiliac.
    What are you talking about?? Did you read what I wrote in the context of what I was responding to? I said if we DO bring our troops home, who cares what the excuse is?? (in this case, that we beat ISIS)

(edit: Ya it was a little confusing, I explain below and edited my original statement for clarity - but the important thing is I was saying who cares WHAT THE EXCUSE IS for pulling the troops out, pulling them out is the important thing)
    Last edited by dannno; 02-13-2018 at 11:59 PM.

You did, back when you were using the promise that Trump would do so as a selling point.

Still sucking your Alpha Dog, yet still haven't noticed he has no balls. You're cucking for something that was neutered. Stop embarrassing yourself.
    Ya, you mis-read what I wrote also.. sorry it was confusing, but it was a correct statement.

I said "Who cares [what the excuse is] if we [do in fact] bring out troops home".. It makes more sense when you see what I was responding to. I was responding to zippy saying that we have heard that before (Bush saying we won the war on terror) but Bush kept the troops there..

Trump is clearly pushing for and talking about pulling the troops out.. So I'm saying, who cares what the excuse for pulling the troops out is, what is important is that it happens.
    Last edited by dannno; 02-14-2018 at 12:03 AM.

Last edited by Swordsmyth; 02-14-2018 at 12:35 AM.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Maybe you said that elsewhere or maybe you meant to say that but that is not what that post says.

Those words should never be uttered by any member of this site in any context other than mocking some warmongering lunatic. (and that is not the context of that post)

No, it's technically a correct statement in response to what zippy wrote and does not mean at all what you are implying by posting the quote out of context.. Go back and read it, I filled in the missing context in brackets []. The point is that I was not saying what you are implying. I'm not faulting you, it was confusing, just correcting you.

A single statement can mean multiple things based on context, and you have to read the context into the sentence to understand it. That is often how fake news gets Trump. But the point is, the meaning of the statement I wrote was "who cares what the excuse is for bringing the troops home if we bring them home". If you read the statement in the context of responding what zippy said carefully, you will see it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast