Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: Secessionists formally launch quest for California's independence

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    They aren't going to secede.
    Last edited by navy-vet; 10-14-2017 at 12:31 AM.

4. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    However, the circumstances of the two states diverge in one notable respect: The US constitution and California’s state constitution would make it easier for California to secede than Catalonia.
    More than half of all eligible voters (not just half the voters who turn out at an election) would have to approve. Then Congress would also have to go along as well as 38 of the other 49 states. Neither gonna happen.

Quote Originally Posted by TheTexan View Post
    And UBI
    If it worked for Weinstein, I don't see why a guy like me couldn't do better...

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    More than half of all eligible voters (not just half the voters who turn out at an election) would have to approve. Then Congress would also have to go along as well as 38 of the other 49 states. Neither gonna happen.
    And just where do you get that idea from?
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    That's how many states are needed for an article V convention, but I don't know about secession... Of course, just coming out and saying they secede, and that they're withholding all federal income tax would be easier. Nobody's gonna cry if they don't follow protocol, and I think Cali being so blunt would throw the whole country for a loop.

Quote Originally Posted by Raginfridus View Post
    That's how many states are needed for an article V convention, but I don't know about secession... Of course, just coming out and saying they secede, and that they're withholding all federal income tax would be easier. Nobody's gonna cry if they don't follow protocol, and I think Cali being so blunt would throw the whole country for a loop.
    Adding a state does not require a constitutional amendment, letting one leave shouldn't require anything more

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Seems that was tried by a half a dozen States once. Didn't worked out at all well, ask suzi about it.

Quote Originally Posted by navy-vet View Post
    Seems that was tried by a half a dozen States once. Didn't worked out at all well, ask suzi about it.
    This time we can let them go and say good riddance.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Adding a state does not require a constitutional amendment, letting one leave shouldn't require anything more
    Might makes right. The only reason Statists have for claiming a state can't secede from the Union is that Dixie lost. In no uncertain words: Might Makes Right.

Cali's different in that nobody likes them (or Texas), so public opinion would be with them getting the hell out all the way. On the other hand, if this oddly reaches SCOTUS, the federalis will want them to stay, and nobody can take this $#@! seriously.

10/1 +reps this goes nowhere. I bet all my reps, so burn me for everything if one state secedes w/o guerrilla carnage and open rebellion. That leaves Cali out of the running, unless a bunch of people want to bleed for the pleasure of libtard elites. (Might be good practice for project mayhem...)

This time we can let them go and say good riddance.
    Lincolnites could have done the same. It only took them a few short years to stigmatize the South as a bastion of pagan slavemasters, when really it wasn't anything like the hell they assumed. That's because most idiots only believe what they read in the news, and they never traveled - same as today.

Theres a great little book about this called A South-side View of Slavery.
    Last edited by Raginfridus; 10-13-2017 at 10:38 PM.

13. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raginfridus View Post
    Might makes right. The only reason Statists have for claiming a state can't secede from the Union is that Dixie lost. In no uncertain words: Might Makes Right.

Cali's different in that nobody likes them (or Texas), so public opinion would be with them getting the hell out all the way. On the other hand, if this oddly reaches SCOTUS, the federalis will want them to stay, and nobody can take this $#@! seriously.

10/1 +reps this goes nowhere. I bet all my reps, so burn me for everything if one state secedes w/o guerrilla carnage and open rebellion. That leaves Cali out of the running, unless a bunch of people want to bleed for the pleasure of libtard elites. (Might be good practice for project mayhem...)
    I am not betting either way, my crystal ball doesn't work that far into the future, but I think Trump might be trying to provoke CALExit and then let them go followed by MASSExit etc., the Dems would never stand a chance in Federal races again.

If they do leave and we let them I expect a "Northern Ireland" war/terror campaign for the red counties, but that would be preferable to the nation wide civil war that we are headed for if some or all of the deep blue states don't leave the union or if we try to stop them.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

My tarot deck doesn't know what Trump's thinking (...), so I guess we'll find out.

Who knew rebellion was like Christmas?!

Just so everyone knows, once again, there is a mass exodus from California happening right now. Get ready for an influx of Californians to drive up property prices, create traffic jams and import leftism. You're welcome. And you thought that massive immigration into California would never effect you...
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    Just so everyone knows, once again, there is a mass exodus from California happening right now. Get ready for an influx of Californians to drive up property prices, create traffic jams and import leftism. You're welcome. And you thought that massive immigration into California would never effect you...
    If we get CALExit we should only give them 1 or 2 years to move out of the blue counties before they lose their citizenship and can't.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by navy-vet View Post
    Oh come on that was just about slavery, this is about just immigration and its just about the mass-poisoning of minds. Completely different!
    The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding one’s self in the ranks of the insane.” — Marcus Aurelius

They’re not buying it. CNN, you dumb bastards!” — President Trump 2020

Consilio et Animis de Oppresso Liber

Sorry- should be 33 states need to approve- two thirds of them.

Sorry- should be 33 states need to approve- two thirds of them.
    Bunk, it doesn't take an amendment to let a state in the union, so it doesn't take one to let a state out.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Bunk, it doesn't take an amendment to let a state in the union, so it doesn't take one to let a state out.
    http://tenthamendmentcenter.com/2017...nia-secession/

Rumblings of secession talk in California, as in Texas a few years back, raises the question of how, if ever, a state might secede from the Union without war.

The legal issue surrounding secession in the Civil War era concerned whether states might unilaterally secede from the Union under the Constitution. The answer, underscored by force of arms and the U.S. Supreme Court, was a definitive “no.”

That states may not unilaterally secede from the Union, however, does not mean there is no route by which a state might secede peacefully, and even legally. Indeed, the U.S. Supreme Court has said there is, albeit, saying it in dictum. In holding in Texas v. White (1869) that Texas did not truly secede from the Union, Chief Justice Chase, writing for the majority, nonetheless identified two routes by which U.S. states could peacefully secede: “There was no place for reconsideration or revocation [of Texas’s entry in the Union], except through revolution or through consent of the States.

22. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    http://tenthamendmentcenter.com/2017/02/13/california-secession/

Rumblings of secession talk in California, as in Texas a few years back, raises the question of how, if ever, a state might secede from the Union without war.

The legal issue surrounding secession in the Civil War era concernedwhether states might unilaterally secede from the Union under the Constitution. The answer, underscored by force of arms and the U.S. Supreme Court, was a definitive “no.”

That states may not unilaterally secede from the Union, however, does not mean there is no route by which a state might secede peacefully, and even legally. Indeed, the U.S. Supreme Court has said there is, albeit, saying it in dictum. In holding in Texas v. White (1869) that Texas did not truly secede from the Union, Chief Justice Chase, writing for the majority, nonetheless identified two routes by which U.S. states could peacefully secede: “There was no place for reconsideration or revocation [of Texas’s entry in the Union], except through revolution or through consent of the States.”
    It says nothing about an amendment, "consent of the states" should only require a majority.

And if congress chooses they can ignore that ruling and let California go, "[The court] has made [it's] decision: now let [them] enforce it! ", who are they gonna call? Ghost busters?

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910