Thread: Family awarded $330,000 for police killing their dog

Family awarded $330,000 for police killing their dog

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/...200148841.html

A federal jury says Chicago law enforcement must pay $330,000 to a family after officers shot their dog during a home raid that turned up no illegal activity.

Thomas Russell, then 18, opened the door to his home in February 2009 to find police officers with their guns drawn. He asked if he could lock up his 9-year-old black labrador, named Lady, before letting the officers inside. The Chicago Tribune describes what happened next:

Police refused the request and came into the house, the lawsuit said. When Lady came loping around the corner with her tail wagging, Officer Richard Antonsen shot the dog, according to the suit, which alleged excessive force, false arrest and illegal seizure for taking the dog's life.

The cops handcuffed Russell and his 16-year-old brother, and eventually charged Russell with obstructing their operation. He was found not guilty. According to NBC, the jury awarded $175,000 to Russell, $85,000 to his little brother, and $35,000 each to the brothers' parents. The officer who shot the dog owes $2,000 in damages, and his supervisor owes $1,000, according to NBC.

A law enforcement spokeswoman told the Tribune that the officers were protecting themselves.
    "Let it not be said that we did nothing."-Ron Paul

"We have set them on the hobby-horse of an idea about the absorption of individuality by the symbolic unit of COLLECTIVISM. They have never yet and they never will have the sense to reflect that this hobby-horse is a manifest violation of the most important law of nature, which has established from the very creation of the world one unit unlike another and precisely for the purpose of instituting individuality."- A Quote From Some Old Book

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    bump
    1776 > 1984

The FAILURE of the United States Government to operate and maintain an
    Honest Money System , which frees the ordinary man from the clutches of the money manipulators, is the single largest contributing factor to the World's current Economic Crisis.

The Elimination of Privacy is the Architecture of Genocide

Belief, Money, and Violence are the three ways all people are controlled

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Our central bank is not privately owned.

Uh this is stupid. The taxpayers must pay 330,000 for their law enforcement's mistake? The cop(s) involved should be paying the fine, not the city.
    A savage barbaric tribal society where thugs parade the streets and illegally assault and murder innocent civilians, yeah that is the alternative to having police. Oh wait, that is the police

We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home.
    - Edward R. Murrow

...I think we have moral obligations to disobey unjust laws, because non-cooperation with evil is as much as a moral obligation as cooperation with good. - MLK Jr.

How to trigger a liberal: "I didn't get vaccinated."

How come criminal charges are not filed on the 2 officers? If it were citizens, they would be arrested and tried in court cruelty to animals.

Where the hell is PETA? snoooze... How come they're not throwing red paint on these tyrants?

Now the taxpayers are stuck with a $330,000 Bill and the 2 police officers that committed the crime are billed $3,000 and no jail time? WTF?
    The American Dream, Wake Up People, This is our country! <===click

"All eyes are opened, or opening to the rights of man, let the annual return of this day(July 4th), forever refresh our recollections of these rights, and an undiminished devotion to them."
    Thomas Jefferson
    June 1826

Rock The World!
    USAF Veteran

If these awards were taken specifically from the police budget instead of the taxpayer general, it might have a deterrent effect. If nothing else because the police run out of money to go around killing things just to show who's boss.

Not only that, the police dept would raise its supposedly non-existent quota and place the financial burden on everyone else, and not those that are directly responsible in the first place.
    1776 > 1984

The FAILURE of the United States Government to operate and maintain an
    Honest Money System , which frees the ordinary man from the clutches of the money manipulators, is the single largest contributing factor to the World's current Economic Crisis.

The Elimination of Privacy is the Architecture of Genocide

Belief, Money, and Violence are the three ways all people are controlled

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Our central bank is not privately owned.

I would have preferred a public caning of the officers and their supervisor + the $3,000 fine.

What do they care that taxpayers have to pay for their $#@!-up? Nothing substantive will change...
    How have you helped spread the message of Liberty, Peace, & Prosperity today?
    "Liberty, when it begins to take root, is a plant of rapid growth." -George Washington

Well, I think we've seen at least two towns disband their police departments after they got too expensive from legal expenses such as this. While I don't like seeing the municipalities on the hook - this may be the most pragmatic way to achieve results.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Why are cops not held personally responsible for their actions?

I hardly doubt that a supermarket will make the customer pay for damages if a cart boy smashes a cart into their car.
    Ron Paul let the cat out of the bag.

***Random Troll Analysis***Try Not to Engage With Trolls***
    itshappening: Incredibly naive with a hint of Alex Jonestown.
    compromise: Hilarious name states what it wants.
    AuH20: Self-righteous & insightful neocon. Smarter than you. Armed with a thesaurus.

***Honorable Mentions***
    Tpoints, Traditional Conservative, FreedomFanatic, TywinLannister, FreeHampshire, Giuliani was there on 911,
    RandRevolution

Quote Originally Posted by AGRP View Post

I hardly doubt that a supermarket will make the customer pay for damages if a cart boy smashes a cart into their car.
    You have no idea how many times that almost happened to me when I had my first job. People don't care at all. T hey can see the carts coming and just walk right in front of it. And I can't stop 25 carts on a whim. I have to dash to the front and stop them. Snobs.
    A savage barbaric tribal society where thugs parade the streets and illegally assault and murder innocent civilians, yeah that is the alternative to having police. Oh wait, that is the police

We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home.
    - Edward R. Murrow

...I think we have moral obligations to disobey unjust laws, because non-cooperation with evil is as much as a moral obligation as cooperation with good. - MLK Jr.

How to trigger a liberal: "I didn't get vaccinated."

Quote Originally Posted by AGRP View Post

The cost would be paid by an insurance company. The store's premiums would go up. The store would raise prices where it can to recover the difference. The customers would pay for it.

So, it would be pretty similar to what we see in the OP.

Privatize the profits. Socialize the losses.

Quote Originally Posted by Warrior_of_Freedom View Post
    Uh this is stupid. The taxpayers must pay 330,000 for their law enforcement's mistake? The cop(s) involved should be paying the fine, not the city.
    The cop will be suspended and put on vacation pay too. This is what happens in a statist society.

Quote Originally Posted by Warrior_of_Freedom View Post
    You have no idea how many times that almost happened to me when I had my first job. People don't care at all. T hey can see the carts coming and just walk right in front of it. And I can't stop 25 carts on a whim. I have to dash to the front and stop them. Snobs.
    Well, the store (police department/insurance) should pick up the tab if its an accident.

Just because you work for a supermarket (PD), it doesn't doesn't give you permission to go around needlessly ramming carts (killing dogs) and expect someone else to pick up the tab for your blatant idiotic actions.
    Ron Paul let the cat out of the bag.

***Random Troll Analysis***Try Not to Engage With Trolls***
    itshappening: Incredibly naive with a hint of Alex Jonestown.
    compromise: Hilarious name states what it wants.
    AuH20: Self-righteous & insightful neocon. Smarter than you. Armed with a thesaurus.

***Honorable Mentions***
    Tpoints, Traditional Conservative, FreedomFanatic, TywinLannister, FreeHampshire, Giuliani was there on 911,
    RandRevolution

Oak Hill Police Department Disbanded
    Oak Hill Council Votes To Disband Its Police Department

POSTED: Monday, August 1, 2011
    http://www.clickorlando.com/news/28733518/detail.html
    Maywood to disband Police Department
    Officials say the city lost its insurance partly because of too many claims against its troubled force, which also patrols Cudahy.
    June 17, 2010
    http://articles.latimes.com/2010/jun...od-pd-20100617
    Think of it as one step closer to disbanding the entire force.

unbelievable!!!! Glad the owner got paid - but the cop should have had to sale his house, car, guns, land - and everything else till it equaled the awarded amount!!!!!!!!!!!
    "Governor, if I had foreseen the use those people designed to make of their victory,
    there would have been no surrender at Appomattox Courthouse; no sir, not by me.
    Had I foreseen these results of subjugation, I would have preferred to die at Appomattox
    with my brave men, my sword in my right hand."
    - Robert E. Lee to Governor Fletcher S. Stockdale (D-Texas), 1870

What kind of dog could possibly be worth that much?

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by V4Vendetta View Post
    unbelievable!!!! Glad the owner got paid - but the cop should have had to sale his house, car, guns, land - and everything else till it equaled the awarded amount!!!!!!!!!!!
    The cop should be sentenced to 3 years of community service and a fine for damages.

Quote Originally Posted by erowe1 View Post
    What kind of dog could possibly be worth that much?
    It's not just the dog, it's the fact that their civil liberties were unjustly violated, they terrorized a family and that they destroyed property that can not be replaced.
    Those who want liberty must organize as effectively as those who want tyranny. -- Iyad el Baghdadi

Quote Originally Posted by amy31416 View Post
    It's not just the dog, it's the fact that their civil liberties were unjustly violated, they terrorized a family and that they destroyed property that can not be replaced.
    And it is the only way our legal system can punish the violator of rights - to make an award of money to the violated.
    Out of every one hundred men they send us, ten should not even be here. Eighty will do nothing but serve as targets for the enemy. Nine are real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, upon them depends our success in battle. But one, ah the one, he is a real warrior, and he will bring the others back from battle alive.

Duty is the most sublime word in the English language. Do your duty in all things. You can not do more than your duty. You should never wish to do less than your duty.

The cops should have to do a couple years unpaid community service at the local humane society.
    Don't taze me bro. Don't touch my junk. Don't tread on me.

Maybe you need a friend not into politics... http://saveadogrescue.com/ http://www.petfinder.com/pet-search?shelter_id=TX1472