Thread: The Lower Your Social Class, the 'Wiser' You Are, Suggests New Study

The Lower Your Social Class, the 'Wiser' You Are, Suggests New Study

https://science.slashdot.org/story/1...ests-new-study

Wisdom -- the ability to take the perspectives of others into account and aim for compromise -- comes much more naturally to those who grow up poor or working class, according to a new study by social psychologist Igor Grossman at the University of Waterloo in Canada and his colleagues. Science Magazine reports:

To conduct the study, Grossmann and his graduate student Justin Brienza embarked on a two-part experiment. First, they asked 2145 people throughout the United States to take an online survey. Participants were asked to remember a recent conflict they had with someone, such as an argument with a spouse or a fight with a friend. They then answered 20 questions applicable to that or any conflict, including: "Did you ever consider a third-party perspective?" "How much did you try to understand the other person's viewpoint?" and "Did you consider that you might be wrong?" Grossmann and Brienza crunched the data and assigned the participants both a "wise reasoning" score based on the conflict answers and a "social class" score, then plotted the two scores against one another. They found that people with the lowest social class scores -- those with less income, less education, and more worries about money -- scored about twice as high on the wise reasoning scale as those in the highest social class. The income and education levels ranged from working class to upper middle class; neither the very wealthy nor the very poor were well represented in the study.

In the second part of the experiment, the duo recruited 200 people in and around Ann Arbor, Michigan, to take a standard IQ test and read three letters to the Dear Abby advice column. One letter, for example, asked about choosing sides in an argument between mutual friends. Each participant then discussed with an interviewer how they thought the situations outlined in the letters would play out. A panel of judges scored their responses according to various measures of wise reasoning. In the example above, thinking about how an outsider might view the conflict would earn points toward wisdom, whereas relying only on one's own perspective would not. As with the first part of the experiment, those in lower social classes consistently had higher wise-reasoning scores than those in higher social classes, the researchers reported today in the Proceedings of the Royal Society B. IQ scores, however, weren't associated one way or another with wise reasoning.
    1776 > 1984

The FAILURE of the United States Government to operate and maintain an
    Honest Money System , which frees the ordinary man from the clutches of the money manipulators, is the single largest contributing factor to the World's current Economic Crisis.

The Elimination of Privacy is the Architecture of Genocide

Belief, Money, and Violence are the three ways all people are controlled

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Our central bank is not privately owned.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I remember years ago when I belonged to a church. I thought it was hypocritical that in one instance the church would discredit science but in another they would use science to prove a point.

If we are against colleges and the teaching, why utilize any of it?

xxxxx
    Last edited by Voluntarist; 07-28-2018 at 01:12 PM.
    You have the right to remain silent. Anything you post to the internet can and will be used to humiliate you.

Quote Originally Posted by Voluntarist View Post
    I don't know where that definition came from - but the ones I've looked up don't much mention compromise.
    - the quality of having experience, knowledge, and good judgment
    - the soundness of an action or decision with regard to the application of experience, knowledge, and good judgment.
    - the body of knowledge and principles that develops within a specified society or period

So maybe the thread needs to be renamed "The Lower Your Social Class, the More You're Willing To Compromise"
    I don't know,,
    Perhaps those a bit wiser,, are less prone to chase "wealth".

or more likely,, it is a flawed new study.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

Good judgement probably comes from age and experience to some degree . Not coming from wealth means you had more opportunity to use problem solving skills and to learn to prioritize .

xxxxx
    Last edited by Voluntarist; 07-28-2018 at 01:13 PM.
    You have the right to remain silent. Anything you post to the internet can and will be used to humiliate you.

Blessed are the meek: for they shall inherit the earth.

snip
    So low class people watch more Jerry Springer?

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    so I'm a wise ass.

deal with it.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

xxxxx
    Last edited by Voluntarist; 07-28-2018 at 01:14 PM.

A possible explanation is that the “lower classes” on average spend less time at the state funded schools that have been designed to make children stupid enough to accept their role (as slaves).

In 1968, George Land researched the creativity of 1,600 children starting in age from three-to-five years. He re-tested the same children at 10 years and again at 15 years of age. The results were astounding.
    Test results 5 year olds - 98%
    Test results 10 year olds - 30%
    Test results 15 year olds - 12%

The same test was given to 280,000 adults, who were only 2% “creative”.
    A good explanation could be, that our educational system was designed to train us to be good workers that follow instructions: https://www.creativityatwork.com/201...ity-be-taught/
    Do NOT ever read my posts. Google and Yahoo wouldn’t block them without a very good reason: Google-censors-the-world/page3

The Order of the Garter rules the world: Order of the Garter and the Carolingian dynasty

xxxxx

xxxxx

Quote Originally Posted by Firestarter View Post
    A possible explanation is that the “lower classes” on average spend less time at the state funded schools that have been designed to make children stupid enough to accept their role (as slaves).

In 1968, George Land researched the creativity of 1,600 children starting in age from three-to-five years. He re-tested the same children at 10 years and again at 15 years of age. The results were astounding.
    Test results 5 year olds - 98%
    Test results 10 year olds - 30%
    Test results 15 year olds - 12%

The same test was given to 280,000 adults, who were only 2% “creative”.
    A good explanation could be, that our educational system was designed to train us to be good workers that follow instructions: https://www.creativityatwork.com/201...ity-be-taught/
    Deep down , I always knew all that time evading govt school , religious school , cops and game wardens would pay off .

So , if Danke spent more time with me and my great wisdom and less time with the other , less wise classes he could benefit greatly . Seems this study comes to the same conclusion as my own studies .

I don't know where that definition came from - but the ones I've looked up don't much mention compromise.
    - the quality of having experience, knowledge, and good judgment
    - the soundness of an action or decision with regard to the application of experience, knowledge, and good judgment.
    - the body of knowledge and principles that develops within a specified society or period

So maybe the thread needs to be renamed "The Lower Your Social Class, the More You're Willing To Compromise"
    Yeah, I didnt want to say anything in the first post so everyone could tear this article apart. If anyone really wants some fun, read the comments on Slashdot itself.

Perhaps poor people are more compassionate to others than rich, but I also would not call it "wiser".
    1776 > 1984

The FAILURE of the United States Government to operate and maintain an
    Honest Money System , which frees the ordinary man from the clutches of the money manipulators, is the single largest contributing factor to the World's current Economic Crisis.

The Elimination of Privacy is the Architecture of Genocide

Belief, Money, and Violence are the three ways all people are controlled

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Our central bank is not privately owned.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    It's a reasonable hypothesis. To start the evaluation you'd need to check into it's falsifiability and take it from there. At a minimum I'd think you'd need to break out that 280,000 people into groups that were not creative and those that were. If the group that were creative had spent significant time in the public education system, then that would throw a kibosh on the hypothesis. You'd have to look at other factors.
    If only I had the time to do some real research...

It would be interesting to see a further breakdown of the numbers in the study.
    Then we could find evidence on what "killed" the creativity, and then maybe we could - over time - have some "creative" adults, that could make this world a better place!
    Do NOT ever read my posts. Google and Yahoo wouldn’t block them without a very good reason: Google-censors-the-world/page3

The Order of the Garter rules the world: Order of the Garter and the Carolingian dynasty