Thread: Just noticed that some foreign stock is taxed in my 401k.

Just noticed that some foreign stock is taxed in my 401k.

I need to watch this stuff a littler closer. I didn't realize I was paying taxes to foreign countries on the stock I owned in my 401K. Ewww. It wasn't a huge amount, not sure yet of the percentage, but kinda sucks. There's nowhere to hide.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Madison320 View Post
    I need to watch this stuff a littler closer. I didn't realize I was paying taxes to foreign countries on the stock I owned in my 401K. Ewww. It wasn't a huge amount, not sure yet of the percentage, but kinda sucks. There's nowhere to hide.
    I remember when I was younger, I (heard about a guy who) played around in emerging market stocks. Buying, selling, averaging... When (that guy I heard about) had to calculate his taxes, he gave up. He figured if they wanted to come after him, it'd be better than trying to figure all that out. That guy didn't file at all that year. (maybe a couple of others, too)
    "And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works." - Bastiat

"It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." - Voltaire

Quote Originally Posted by CaptUSA View Post
    I remember when I was younger, I (heard about a guy who) played around in emerging market stocks. Buying, selling, averaging... When (that guy I heard about) had to calculate his taxes, he gave up. He figured if they wanted to come after him, it'd be better than trying to figure all that out. That guy didn't file at all that year. (maybe a couple of others, too)
    I feel a little better now because I'm pretty sure they were just taxing the dividends. I buy a lot of high dividend foreign stocks. I'm assuming the home countries are just taxing the dividends like we do here, only it's not tax deferred. At first I thought they were taxing the shares itself. If that was the case I'd be losing money just owning the shares.

I am a little worried about foreign stocks being targeted by the US in the future though.

Gold? Like... PHYSICAL Gold?
    1776 > 1984

The FAILURE of the United States Government to operate and maintain an
    Honest Money System , which frees the ordinary man from the clutches of the money manipulators, is the single largest contributing factor to the World's current Economic Crisis.

The Elimination of Privacy is the Architecture of Genocide

Belief, Money, and Violence are the three ways all people are controlled

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Our central bank is not privately owned.

Quote Originally Posted by DamianTV View Post
    Gold? Like... PHYSICAL Gold?
    I own physical gold but most of my money is in my 401K and so I have to buy etfs and mining stocks if I want exposure to gold.

Even physical gold had risk. Somebody could steal it, the govt could make it illegal to own, etc.

I own physical gold but most of my money is in my 401K and so I have to buy etfs and mining stocks if I want exposure to gold.

Even physical gold had risk. Somebody could steal it, the govt could make it illegal to own, etc.
    Truth in that statement. Our own govt has made it illegal to own before.

Oh and I always love how govt says that a price increase in gold vs US dollar needs to be taxed, yet another form of theft by putting the cart before the horse. ITs not that gold has gone up, its that US dollars have gone down. And we are supposed to pay taxes on that? Better idea, make sure they dont know you own any gold? Is such a thing possible any more?
    1776 > 1984

Honest Money System , which frees the ordinary man from the clutches of the money manipulators, is the single largest contributing factor to the World's current Economic Crisis.

Quote Originally Posted by DamianTV View Post
    Truth in that statement. Our own govt has made it illegal to own before.

Oh and I always love how govt says that a price increase in gold vs US dollar needs to be taxed, yet another form of theft by putting the cart before the horse. ITs not that gold has gone up, its that US dollars have gone down. And we are supposed to pay taxes on that? Better idea, make sure they dont know you own any gold? Is such a thing possible any more?
    Yeah, there's a whole bunch of reasons why governments want inflation, but they want to under report it.

Yeah, there's a whole bunch of reasons why governments want inflation, but they want to under report it.
    Spend money without Taxation because Taxation makes them unpopular among the moron voting proletariat. Yay $15 miminum waeg! I like money. Do you like money? I like money! Lets hang out!
    1776 > 1984

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.