Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dear RPF I have just made one of the biggest mistakes of my life

Quote Originally Posted by Warrior_of_Freedom View Post
    Yup I'd pay $1000 for a simple top loader that I know would last 20 years, instead of pay $500-600 a pop every 4 years now for a crappy one. Apparently all of them use less water now, which sucks. Not only because my clothes probably won't come out as clean, but also because I hate the environment.
    Well, I don't hate the environment but I don't see how using less water impacts the environment where I live. As far as I know we generally have too much water here that at any point we could tap to make potable water, so yeah... Don't care about that.

And yes, I would also pay double. I do this for many things, I have expensive chef's knives, why, they are nice and they are still nice in 5 years time. I had a cheap one before, it broke in half when I was using it to pound spices, poor quality steel and tempering. What I'm trying to say is, if at all possible, I'll pay a lot for something that lasts a long time... And in most cases this means buying the lowest tech form of some tool or object.
    "I am a bird"

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    They make dryers now that are 'ventless'... solve one problem & create another. Have also seen an all-in-one W&D... so when it breaks, you got nothin'. High technology bull$hit.

Don't need a weather man to know which way the wind blows

4. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Those damn mechanical timers wear out over time though. My old washer's had to be replace twice
    It all depends on whether you fix your own appliances or not.

Most washer/dryers source their components from the same suppliers, so parts are plentiful and always available for cheap. But if you have to call a service guy, that's probably an automatic $100 service call plus timer marked up 100 to 300 percent.

Yup I'd pay $1000 for a simple top loader that I know would last 20 years, instead of pay $500-600 a pop every 4 years now for a crappy one. Apparently all of them use less water now, which sucks. Not only because my clothes probably won't come out as clean, but also because I hate the environment.
    LOL , hate the environment .

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    LOL , hate the environment .
    You'd think those cheap machines are actually worse for the environment because landfills are probably full of them.
    Also, it took me forever to hunt down a non-efficient toilet, because I don't like my feces to droop down the side of the bowl before it hits the water.
    A savage barbaric tribal society where thugs parade the streets and illegally assault and murder innocent civilians, yeah that is the alternative to having police. Oh wait, that is the police

We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home.
    - Edward R. Murrow

...I think we have moral obligations to disobey unjust laws, because non-cooperation with evil is as much as a moral obligation as cooperation with good. - MLK Jr.

How to trigger a liberal: "I didn't get vaccinated."

Quote Originally Posted by luctor-et-emergo View Post
    Well, I don't hate the environment but I don't see how using less water impacts the environment where I live. As far as I know we generally have too much water here that at any point we could tap to make potable water, so yeah... Don't care about that.

And yes, I would also pay double. I do this for many things, I have expensive chef's knives, why, they are nice and they are still nice in 5 years time. I had a cheap one before, it broke in half when I was using it to pound spices, poor quality steel and tempering. What I'm trying to say is, if at all possible, I'll pay a lot for something that lasts a long time... And in most cases this means buying the lowest tech form of some tool or object.
    Well I've been shopping and apparently there's a company called speedqueen that makes very good washers, only problem is their home models are super tiny, like 3.3 cubic feet or something. I need to be able to throw more than 2 pairs of socks and 4 towels into the machine.
    A savage barbaric tribal society where thugs parade the streets and illegally assault and murder innocent civilians, yeah that is the alternative to having police. Oh wait, that is the police

- Edward R. Murrow

...I think we have moral obligations to disobey unjust laws, because non-cooperation with evil is as much as a moral obligation as cooperation with good. - MLK Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    I dunno, I have some fond memories of some of my biggest mistakes.
    Boys or girls?
    Amash>Trump

ΟΥ ΓΑΡ ЄCΤΙΝ ЄξΟΥCΙΑ ЄΙ ΜΗ ΥΠΟ ΘЄΟΥ

"Patriotism should come from loving thy neighbor, not from worshiping graven images" - Ironman77

"ideas have the potential of being more powerful than any army....The concept of personal sovereignty was pulled screaming from the ether into this reality by the force of men believing in a self evident truth, that men are meant to be free." - The Northbreather

"Trump is the security blanket of aggrieved white men aged 18-60." - Pinoy

Well I've been shopping and apparently there's a company called speedqueen that makes very good washers, only problem is their home models are super tiny, like 3.3 cubic feet or something. I need to be able to throw more than 2 pairs of socks and 4 towels into the machine.
    I have a speed queen , I like it . Mrs O is anal and does laundry every day so it is plenty big for us .

I have a speed queen , I like it . Mrs O is anal and does laundry every day so it is plenty big for us .
    Is it a top loader with an agitator?

- Edward R. Murrow

We got the Electrolux Front loaders. 8 months later they are still working great. Doesn't get moldy in the washer. So far I am a very happy camper. http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...iagnosis/page2

13. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Is it a top loader with an agitator?
    Yes and I think you are right it is only 3 or 4 cubic feet I would have gotten a bigger one but they did not have one at the only appliance store in town that carries SQ , I do not know if they make they make a bigger one . I am going to need a dryer too at some point. I might just look around for the longest warranty, they all cost about the same from what I have seen. I will probably go look around at Menards when they run the 11 % off sale about every month. Going with no digital display though of course.

Yes and I think you are right it is only 3 or 4 cubic feet I would have gotten a bigger one but they did not have one at the only appliance store in town that carries SQ , I do not know if they make they make a bigger one . I am going to need a dryer too at some point. I might just look around for the longest warranty, they all cost about the same from what I have seen. I will probably go look around at Menards when they run the 11 % off sale about every month. Going with no digital display though of course.
    I couldn't find a speed queen that is close to 4 cubic feet to save my life. I think I'd have to pay $1600 for a commercial model or something, and use lots of quarters. It seems the standard size nowadays is anywhere from 3.3 to 3.6, when I really am looking for a 4.2 or 4.3 one, and virtually no washers nowadays have porcelain-coated steel, it's all bare stainless steel that's begging to get rusty

- Edward R. Murrow

I couldn't find a speed queen that is close to 4 cubic feet to save my life. I think I'd have to pay $1600 for a commercial model or something, and use lots of quarters. It seems the standard size nowadays is anywhere from 3.3 to 3.6, when I really am looking for a 4.2 or 4.3 one, and virtually no washers nowadays have porcelain-coated steel, it's all bare stainless steel that's begging to get rusty
    You can get some of the maytags with the commercial technology that aren't near that much. It might be limited to the made in usa ones. The features will make note of them using their "commercial technology" and 10yr warranty on the motor.
    eg:
    https://www.lowes.com/pd/Maytag-Brav...hite/999900761
    https://www.lowes.com/pd/Maytag-3-6-...-Washer-White/
    Last edited by specsaregood; 09-19-2017 at 03:41 PM.

Supporting Member
    North Korea

Blog Entries
    You'll get over it.

I know way more about laundry than I care to admit...

If you buy an HE washer, make sure to use the HE detergents. They're low-foam surfactants and will rinse better. Add extra rinses if possible. Use the washer every day or two, and/or use the washer sanitizer they now sell.

But, you're better off with a top loading, large capacity, washer with agitator and porcelain lined steel basket. As others have said, look for the ones with dials that set water level/capacity, water temp and cycle.

I have a Maytag Centennial "commercial technology" washer. Couple hundred bucks at Menards plus a rebate. You can't beat that.

Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    You can get some of the maytags with the commercial technology that aren't near that much. It might be limited to the made in usa ones. The features will make note of them using their "commercial technology" and 10yr warranty on the motor.
    eg:
    https://www.lowes.com/pd/Maytag-Brav...hite/999900761
    https://www.lowes.com/pd/Maytag-3-6-...-Washer-White/
    Yeah, something like that or this:
    https://www.menards.com/main/applian...5172132&ipos=1

That's quite a spin cycle.

Exploding washing machine knocks out Minn. mother

FREEPORT, Minn. - A strange noise from Sara Van Beck's Whirlpool Duet called her into the laundry room.

"This was different. It was a high, howl, whistling noise," she said.

She was washing her daughter's clothes. The machine was on spin cycle. And then, she says, it exploded.

"From the force I fell backwards and hit my head," Van Beck said.

Sara says she was knocked out with a concussion.

When she came to, while lying in pain, she was able to call her husband for help from her Apple Watch. Then she looked up and couldn't believe what she saw.

"These are the ball bearings that blew out. They were all over the room," she said.

Sara says those ball bearings and other parts hit her like shrapnel.

The force also caved in the side of the dryer, breaking it.

She bought the machine just three years ago, and this model is not under any sort of recall.

Thinking back, besides the high-pitched noise and the fact the washer seemed to be spinning a long time, Sara says there was no warning of what was about to happen.

"It did not smell hot. It was not overheating. None of those things were happening. It just basically blew up," she said.

http://www.kare11.com/news/exploding...ther/488201171
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

Quote Originally Posted by ghengis86 View Post
    yup, that's the one we have and the matching dryer. we use them it seems every single day and overload them and beat the crap out of them. they work great.

22. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    just an update, I bought the speedqueen, best washer I've ever had.

- Edward R. Murrow

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12