Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Serious question for potentially serious trouble.

Serious question for potentially serious trouble.

I am probably going to make a fool of myself here, but the issue at hand is such that I don't much care at this point. It is not my way to bring personal matters into public fora such as this, but things look like they are about to turn bad for me in a way that I cannot allow. I will explain.

Back in 2005 I got the hair-brained idea that it would be a good thing to do the MBA. It cost me $90K and, due to circumstances, I had to finance the entire thing. I normally would not do such a thing for what many of you would immediately see as obvious reasons, but in those days I had no reason to think that things would go as badly as they have. After all, I'd spent the previous decade yanking down anywhere between $250K and $512K and had every reason to believe that I'd be at it once again as soon as I got back to work. I have, in fact, never financed anything, save for my houses and one automobile. I had a single student loan for $2500, thirty years ago. That's the extent of such things for me, and the primary reason why I had to have co-signers on the loans for the MBA. A lifetime of fiscal responsibility by paying cash for virtually everything earned me a credit rating on par with dog poo.

Well, things have not worked out quite as I'd expected and I am utterly incapable of paying these loans, a fact that gnaws at me for any of several reasons, not the least of which is that I consider myself to be a man of my word. I've never before welched on a debt, not even for $1. The loans are about to go into default and when that happens, they are going to go after my lovely wife and my 82 year old mom, as I own literally nothing anymore.

Other than paying the loans, the only way this debt will not be thrust upon Bibi (wife) or mom is if I die. I am not particularly fond of the latter option and greatly prefer not having to go that path, but I absolutely cannot allow two people whom I love dearly to pay for my failures. I'm not trying to be melodramatic or anything like that, but I am sure plenty of you understand the position in which I unintentionally placed myself. While I am working on alternate business possibilities, there are problems there as well that I have encountered and until something puts cash in hand, I cannot rely on that as deliverance from the evil I have unwittingly invited into my life of my family.

My question then, is whether any of you have any opinions or other knowledge on whether there might be other creative means of raising monies to settle this debt. Some who know me have said it's "only" $90K. Sure, until you don't have it. Does anyone think something like a "save osan's family from doom" money bomb, or other form of crowd-sourcing endeavor might work? Or am I simply screwed regardless, eventually having to face the choice to saddle mom or Bibi with this large sum, or having an unfortunate accident?

I know it all sounds very idiotic and I should be embarrassed by it, but I simply cannot afford it. Furthermore, I apologize in advance for even bringing this here and if Bryan thinks this is too stupid and shameful, I will understand if the post is removed. It's just that I'm in a pretty bad corner and cannot afford to indulge myself in my lifelong discomfort with asking for help as this situation runs beyond merely myself, threatening real harm to two people I love very much. I think I am too stressed by it and too close to it to see things clearly.

Thanks in advance for any ideas and again I apologize for thrusting my problems into the laps of others. It is just that I don't know what else to do at this point.
    freedomisobvious.blogspot.com

There is only one correct way: freedom. All other solutions are non-solutions.

It appears that artificial intelligence is at least slightly superior to natural stupidity.

Our words make us the ghosts that we are.

Convincing the world he didn't exist was the Devil's second greatest trick; the first was convincing us that God didn't exist.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    First off, if our money system were honest, then I'd say you should feel ashamed. But we all know damn good and well it is not and the cost of education has skyrocketed, disproportionately to both our income and inflation. Be careful with the guilt, it is very commonly used to manipulate you into paying the bill. Dont respond emotionally the way you know they want you to. Once you allow them to manipulate you emotionally, they've got ya by the balls. Stand your ground and refuse to feel that guilt or shame.

Now, as far as what can be done about the debt. Not sure, I am flat ass broke myself and credit is also destroyed. I defaulted on everything after I lost my good paying job back in 2008, and since then have not found long term meaningful stable work. It has been $#@! job after $#@! job that usually dries up after a few months. Had one job fire me because I didnt "meet their quota", which didnt matter because the company went under 3 months later anyway. Trust us, a lot of the people here feel your pain.

I do recall reading a few threads on something to the effect of people being able to discharge student loan debt because they were completely unable to do anything with it at all. That might be an option, but I also was under the impression that if you are not working, then you arent required to repay student loans?

Any other financial advice from anyone that knows damn good and well this economy is a giant ponzi scheme scam?
    1776 > 1984

The FAILURE of the United States Government to operate and maintain an
    Honest Money System , which frees the ordinary man from the clutches of the money manipulators, is the single largest contributing factor to the World's current Economic Crisis.

The Elimination of Privacy is the Architecture of Genocide

Belief, Money, and Violence are the three ways all people are controlled

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Our central bank is not privately owned.

If they were federally guaranteed, they will be extremely difficult to discharge, but if you are talking about having cosigners, it sounds like they are privately financed. Ideally, you could try going to the lender and negotiate new terms/refinance. A lot of them now have a deal where your payment is a flat percentage of your income. With cosigners, they would factor into that formula, but if you were somehow able to get current, you might have a good chance to refinance and get them out from under it. I know all that sounds unrealistic if you're broke, but something to keep in mind should your fortunes change.

Worrying about this too much can make you physically ill. At some point, you have to draw the line and remind yourself it's just money. Look up FDCPA and know your rights, there are some things the collectors are not supposed to say or do, particularly when it comes to harassment. And it is not just you, there are millions out there in the same boat.

An unorthodox solution- you have a MBA, go to the lender and try to get a job with them. When they call to collect, tell them you're still waiting to hear back about that interview...
    Last edited by CPUd; 06-02-2016 at 02:05 AM.
    “I don’t think that there will be any curtailing of Donald Trump as president,” he said. "He controls the media, he controls the sentiment [and] he controls everybody. He’s the one who will resort to executive orders more so than [President] Obama ever used them." - Ron Paul

Well $#@!!

I don't have any sage advice, sorry.

I'm at a similar stage in life and took on debt to fund a custody battle.

My clientele have changed demographics from entrepreneurs to retired government officials which, to me anyway, points to the sorry state of the economy in general.

Can you teach with your degree? Oft-times colleges will cover tuition costs if you contract with them... Just a thought.

Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    I've never before welched on a debt, not even for $1. The loans are about to go into default and when that happens, they are going to go after my lovely wife and my 82 year old mom, as I own literally nothing anymore.

Other than paying the loans, the only way this debt will not be thrust upon Bibi (wife) or mom is if I die. I am not particularly fond of the latter option and greatly prefer not having to go that path, but I absolutely cannot allow two people whom I love dearly to pay for my failures.

Don't beat yourself up. I can sympathize. Hardly anyone I know is making more money now than they did ten years ago, myself included.

Have you talked with an attorney? (I know - that's expensive!)

If your primary goal is to protect your wife and mother as co-signers, the only remaining option I can see is to check into Chapter 13. The good news is, it should stop the creditors from going after your co-signers. The bad news is, you would still have to pay the loans back under a repayment plan:

http://www.nolo.com/legal-encycloped...ankruptcy.html

A Chapter 13 bankruptcy offers much more protection to your cosigners and guarantors, and gives you the opportunity to pay off cosigned or guaranteed debts through your repayment plan.

When you file a Chapter 13, your cosigners and guarantors on consumer (non-business) debts are protected from your creditors under the automatic stay. This is called the Chapter 13 codebtor stay. However, your creditors can still ask the court to lift the automatic stay under the following circumstances:

*It was your cosigner or guarantor who actually received the consideration for the creditor’s claim.
    *You are not proposing to pay the debt off in full through your Chapter 13 plan.
    *The creditor will suffer irreparable harm if the stay continues.

Also, keep in mind that the codebtor stay will end if your Chapter 13 is dismissed or converted to a Chapter 7 bankruptcy.
    At the very least, this tactic might buy you some more time to get things turned around.

Hang in there, my friend. Whatever you do, don't give up.

Almost everyday I get an email on some government program for forgiving student loans. I don't have any student loans so I haven't ever checked it out but there is a chance you could qualify for this program. Maybe type in your search bar: "program for student loan forgiveness" and see what comes up.

I wish you all the best I know stuff like this can grind a person down.

I'd spent the previous decade yanking down anywhere between $250K and $512K
    I am missing something here. What happened to all the cash?

Declaring bankruptcy may prove to be a viable, yet undesirable option.

MBAs do it.

BTW, MBA in a box.

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...50._dr6S7ZdYQo

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Have you considered taking out more debt, to pay for the debt?
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Donald Trump / Crenshaw 2024!!!!

My pronouns are he/him/his

No shame in it, at all. I'm not even gonna tell ya all the dumb $#@! I've done, it could fill a set of encyclopedias.

My question then, is whether any of you have any opinions or other knowledge on whether there might be other creative means of raising monies to settle this debt. Some who know me have said it's "only" $90K. Sure, until you don't have it. Does anyone think something like a "save osan's family from doom" money bomb, or other form of crowd-sourcing endeavor might work? Or am I simply screwed regardless, eventually having to face the choice to saddle mom or Bibi with this large sum, or having an unfortunate accident?
    Definitely set up a Go Fund Me page, can't hurt and every little bit helps. Selling on ebay? I've never done it but I know a lot of people make good money doing it. One of my brothers sells pdfs of old gun manuals and says he makes a lot of money considering the effort. You're a good writer, have you considered publishing an e-book and selling on Amazon?

Wish I could help more but I'm not really good at this kind of stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

Osan, my friend...

Indeed it is a pickle. I can feel your shame and discomfort in the OP. Many here have offered sage advice, and I have little to add save this; Were you to write a book, I would buy 50 copies, as would many here who have read your witty and eloquent prose. You truly have a gift and it should be leveraged. I know that doesn't help in the short term, but food for thought.

Forget about the 'latter' option of shaking loose this mortal coil... it doesn't suit you. Take your licks, find your way through, and drive on. God bless you, sir.
    There are only two things we should fight for. One is the defense of our homes and the other is the Bill of Rights. War for any other reason is simply a racket.
    -Major General Smedley Butler, USMC,
    Two-Time Congressional Medal of Honor Winner
    Author of, War is a Racket!

It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours.
    - Diogenes of Sinope

Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    Honestly this was my first thought. That's nice income for the previous decade. Do you not have anything of value from those years you can sell? Cars, real estate, jewelry, anything? I'm not trying to be a smart ass, a serious question.
    "Nobody wins in a Dairy Challenge" ~ Kenny Rogers, RIP

"When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken, or cease to be honest." ~ anonymous

“The fate of all mankind I see
    Is in the hands of fools” ~ King Crimson

Some of it plowed back into the business. Some spent on living well. Some invested "elsewhere" to avoid the taxman. A fair amount given to help some friends in need. I made sure there was nothing left for the IRS to get their filthy mitts on. I was not working 100 hours/week at times to have those creeps rip me for 40%. I'd rather have nothing left at the end of the year than give them a penny... though my accountant did make me pay them $1500.00 one year just to ensure I didn't get a visit. I have no regrets on that point, though had things been otherwise I should have been easily able to sock away $1.5 million over that period. Better that I gave it away to people I deemed worthy of it than Themme, whom I despise.

It appears that artificial intelligence is at least slightly superior to natural stupidity.

Convincing the world he didn't exist was the Devil's second greatest trick; the first was convincing us that God didn't exist.

I've heard if you call the right people you can negotiate to pay back the principle and some of debt from interest they will wave. Especially if you start to tell them you just can't pay it all and they are afraid you'll default. I've just heard that it's possible, but don't know where to begin. My wife is in a similar boat.
    The wisdom of Swordy:

On bringing the troops home
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    They are coming home, all the naysayers said they would never leave Syria and then they said they were going to stay in Iraq forever.

It won't take very long to get them home but it won't be overnight either but Iraq says they can't stay and they are coming home just like Trump said.

On fighting corruption:
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    Trump had to donate the "right way" and hang out with the "right people" in order to do business in NYC and Hollyweird and in order to investigate and expose them.
    Fascism Defined

Contact a lawyer that specializes in bankruptcy for an options quick phone consult?

It just may to turn out to be much cheaper in the long run.

Quote Originally Posted by sam1952 View Post
    Honestly this was my first thought. That's nice income for the previous decade. Do you not have anything of value from those years you can sell? Cars, real estate, jewelry, anything? I'm not trying to be a smart ass, a serious question.
    It's all gone toward the past 10 years of bills and the like, not to mention the 1.5 years my wife spent in bed, sick as the devil from chemotherapy. Whatever I could liquidate, was sold long ago. My machine shop is gone, as is most of my blacksmithing equipment including a 250# steam hammer. The list of things now vapor is tearfully long. I now live off my wife's sweat, which makes me want to put my head in a chipper. Seriously, why don't I just move into mom's basement and perfect the picture.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Pay your debts. Keep your word.

Actually, first-line best advice: Don't go into debt.

But, since you have:

But you already knew that. Or you should. And if somehow you don't or didn't, your morals are already twisted and corrupted enough that you don't really want advice from me nor anyone like me. You really don't.

So do what you already know you should do: pay your debt. Get a job. Any job. Even $25,000 a year at the oil lube will mean it's paid off in four years. Done. And then, don't go into any more debt.

It's all gone toward the past 10 years of bills and the like, not to mention the 1.5 years my wife spent in bed, sick as the devil from chemotherapy. Whatever I could liquidate, was sold long ago. My machine shop is gone, as is most of my blacksmithing equipment including a 250# steam hammer. The list of things now vapor is tearfully long. I now live off my wife's sweat, which makes me want to put my head in a chipper. Seriously, why don't I just move into mom's basement and perfect the picture.
    Where did you get your MBA? Trump U? Any way to leverage that?

Where did you get your MBA? Trump U? Any way to leverage that?

ERRRRRRG...

No, I went to a real business school - Drexel. Good program, but still not worth a poo when the economy is this lousy and you're 58 in twenty first century America where "old" = "cancerous plague". Them's the breaks.

ERRRRRRG...

No, I went to a real business school - Drexel. Good program, but still not worth a poo when the economy is this lousy and you're 58 in twenty first century America where "old" = "cancerous plague". Them's the breaks.
    Why don't you sue the school? Btw, I prefer doing MBA using an alternative method:

Quote Originally Posted by helmuth_hubener View Post

Actually, first-line best advice: Don't go into debt.

But, since you have:

But you already knew that. Or you should. And if somehow you don't or didn't, your morals are already twisted and corrupted enough that you don't really want advice from me nor anyone like me. You really don't.

So do what you already know you should do: pay your debt. Get a job. Any job. Even $25,000 a year at the oil lube will mean it's paid off in four years. Done. And then, don't go into any more debt.
    This. Best advice. Keep your word. Whatever it takes.

Supporting Member
    Phoenix, AZ

Blog Entries
    My advice since you asked:

Raise money, sell anything that can be sold, do anything productive that you can earn money from. Consider starting a new business. You have skills that people are probably willing to pay for. Find a way to sell your time.

Protect wife and mom. Have them move assets out of the system. Make the assets invisible to the system. Keep the minimum in the bank, the rest in hand.
    Citizen of Arizona
    @cleaner4d4

I am a libertarian. I am advocating everyone enjoy maximum freedom on both personal and economic issues as long as they do not bring violence unto others.

Why would you feel bad about this? Your feeling bad about it isn't helping you get out of the situation, and the creditors don't care how you feel... they just want their money.

You were apparently good at business.
    So go be good at business.
    Hell, if you're not doing anything else, put out some ads in places where kids with bright ideas frequent, and offer to be the guy who forces them to handle their great idea like a business.
    There are no crimes against people.
    There are only crimes against the state.
    And the state will never, ever choose to hold accountable its agents, because a thing can not commit a crime against itself.

Game is rigged.

Osan, no shame if you're trying to make things right -it wasn't a mistake, it is a lesson.

I've had lesser equipped friends bounce back from greater relative debt. It took 7 years and a complete lifestyle change for one friend, but he pulled it off with cooperation from family. He moved back into his parent's house () and enjoyed cultivating a relationship with them at a new level. Win/win.

I've had and uncle and aunt go through bankruptcy and lose their electrical company in their 50's at the time (they are super generous people and got caught all expanded out in a quickly contracting period), it was a long couple years, but they got through it and moved on to do more electrical work and help their son start his own electrical business with their lessons learned. Win/win.

Our good neighbors (early 60s) are currently in year 3 of their bankruptcy "re-stabilization" thing (their crops got wiped out by vog one season), it's going as well as can be expected, but it's still a big pile of **** to swallow every week, but it is what it is, and from what I've seen, the days my neighbor's accept the reality are the good days for them, the days when they "look back", aren't so great for them. Most are good days. They are making progress, and have had family move onto their property (mutually beneficial) for another win/win arrangement to navigate the "game".

Sorry, no real "quick" solutions for you, but I did want to share some encouragement. I've seen the greatest blessings come in crappy boxes.

I'd second seeking creative solutions with family, friends, and the institutions you owe.

Zheng Chunhui whittled away for four years and got a 40 foot long wood carving. Whittling works.

Fear of man will prove to be a snare, but whoever trusts in the LORD is kept safe. Proverbs 29:25
    "I think the propaganda machine is the biggest problem that we face today in trying to get the truth out to people."
    Ron Paul

Please watch, subscribe, like, & share, Ron Paul Liberty Report
    BITCHUTE IS A LIBERTY MINDED ALTERNATIVE TO GOOGLE SUBSIDIARY YOUTUBE

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    if your mom is "elderly" she can discharge the obligation as "undue hardship"

likewise if your wife's current and historical income qualifies as "poverty" level she can also discharge the obligation as an "undue hardship"

Based on legislative history and the decisions of other district and bankruptcy courts, the district court adopted a standard for "undue hardship" requiring a three-part showing: (1) that the debtor cannot maintain, based on current income and expenses, a "minimal" standard of living for herself and her dependents if forced to repay the loans; (2) that additional circumstances exist indicating that this state of affairs is likely to persist for a significant portion of the repayment period of the student loans; and (3) that the debtor has made good faith efforts to repay the loans. For the reasons set forth in the district court's order, we adopt this analysis. The first part of this test has been applied frequently as the minimum necessary to establish "undue hardship."
    http://www.moranlaw.net/student_loan_brunner.htm

for more info keyword "brunner test"

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

Awareness is the Root of Liberation Revolution is Action upon Revelation

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.

...the familiar ritual of institutional self-absolution...
    ...for protecting them, by mock trial, from punishment...

Quote Originally Posted by DamianTV View Post
    First off, if our money system were honest, then I'd say you should feel ashamed. But we all know damn good and well it is not and the cost of education has skyrocketed, disproportionately to both our income and inflation. Be careful with the guilt, it is very commonly used to manipulate you into paying the bill. Dont respond emotionally the way you know they want you to. Once you allow them to manipulate you emotionally, they've got ya by the balls. Stand your ground and refuse to feel that guilt or shame.

Now, as far as what can be done about the debt. Not sure, I am flat ass broke myself and credit is also destroyed. I defaulted on everything after I lost my good paying job back in 2008, and since then have not found long term meaningful stable work. It has been $#@! job after $#@! job that usually dries up after a few months. Had one job fire me because I didnt "meet their quota", which didnt matter because the company went under 3 months later anyway. Trust us, a lot of the people here feel your pain.

I do recall reading a few threads on something to the effect of people being able to discharge student loan debt because they were completely unable to do anything with it at all. That might be an option, but I also was under the impression that if you are not working, then you arent required to repay student loans?

Any other financial advice from anyone that knows damn good and well this economy is a giant ponzi scheme scam?
    I've heard rumours about this ^^ in MSM, but not sure if it's true. Something worth looking into, brothe Osan.
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

Quote Originally Posted by Cleaner44 View Post
    My advice since you asked:

Raise money, sell anything that can be sold, do anything productive that you can earn money from. Consider starting a new business. You have skills that people are probably willing to pay for. Find a way to sell your time.

Protect wife and mom. Have them move assets out of the system. Make the assets invisible to the system. Keep the minimum in the bank, the rest in hand.
    This^^ Also invest in a good combo safe. Cash is still king.
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

Quote Originally Posted by heavenlyboy34 View Post
    I've heard rumours about this ^^ in MSM, but not sure if it's true. Something worth looking into, brothe Osan.
    I never took out any student loans, so I never got caught by that trap. Im still in financial dire straights tho, as are many people.

My first concern is the emotional response that people endure when they are forced to come to terms with the harsh economic reality that may nay-sayers like ZippyJuan claims isnt happening.

@osan - You wouldnt happen to be a Veteran, would you? Might be a few additional programs that could help if you are...
    1776 > 1984

The FAILURE of the United States Government to operate and maintain an
    Honest Money System , which frees the ordinary man from the clutches of the money manipulators, is the single largest contributing factor to the World's current Economic Crisis.

The Elimination of Privacy is the Architecture of Genocide

Belief, Money, and Violence are the three ways all people are controlled

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Our central bank is not privately owned.

Quote Originally Posted by DamianTV View Post
    I never took out any student loans, so I never got caught by that trap. Im still in financial dire straights tho, as are many people.

My first concern is the emotional response that people endure when they are forced to come to terms with the harsh economic reality that may nay-sayers like ZippyJuan claims isnt happening.

@osan - You wouldnt happen to be a Veteran, would you? Might be a few additional programs that could help if you are...
    How does the graph designer define "black inequality"?

That particular bubble is going to pop soon. And the government of the people will cover the bail for those institutions to big to fail.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast