Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What does your Tachometer read @ 80 MPH on the interstate?

What does your Tachometer read @ 80 MPH on the interstate?

I recently made two trips in my 1989 Dodge Ram. averaging 80 MPH (with 85 to 90 at times)
    I got 13.5 MPG with the A/C on. and on the second trip I got the same with the A/C off. that was not what I expected.

I asked my friend what he was getting in his nearly new truck. (probably a 2015)
    and he said at those speeds. about 15. he did not remember the Tach reading.

what are you getting?

(I calculate my RPM's to be 2350 @80MPH.)
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough." - Albert Einstein

"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man. - Thomas Jefferson.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    In my 04 F150 , about 20 mpg @ 70 mph . In the 06 Impala I was driving before that , 29 mpg @ 80 mph . I do not think the AC makes any difference .
    Last edited by oyarde; 10-14-2016 at 10:12 PM.
    Do something Danke

About 2100 in a VW diesel.

3k in my 91 Saturn 5 speed. That's one of the many things Saturn $#@!ed up with the 96 redesign. Changed the ratios so does 3500 at 80.

2350 for a truck sounds really low. Is it a manual? That's the only way I could see it being under 3500 in your truck. All the auto trucks I've driven are revving pretty high at 80.
    There are no crimes against people.
    There are only crimes against the state.
    And the state will never, ever choose to hold accountable its agents, because a thing can not commit a crime against itself.

Somewhere around 6k on the bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    Pinochet is the model
    Liberty preserving authoritarianism.
    Enforced internal open borders was one of the worst elements of the Constitution.

Quote Originally Posted by fisharmor View Post
    3k in my 91 Saturn 5 speed. That's one of the many things Saturn $#@!ed up with the 96 redesign. Changed the ratios so does 3500 at 80.

2350 for a truck sounds really low. Is it a manual? That's the only way I could see it being under 3500 in your truck. All the auto trucks I've driven are revving pretty high at 80.
    I swapped out the 3 speed for an overdrive. it is a 43RH and the specs are .069 for the overdrive. coupled with a 3.55 rear end and 28" tires... that calculates to 2350 rpm. at 80 MPH
    as near as I can tell.. this is the same set up all the new trucks are running.
    I think in 5th gear, that is not overdrive. without overdrive, the engine RPM and the wheel RPM are one and the same.
    that is sorta why I am asking.
    when the speed limit is 75. most folks are running 80.
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough." - Albert Einstein

"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man. - Thomas Jefferson.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    I thought those were illegal now, reported.

About 3k in a 2007 Honda Element. It gets about 20mpg whatever the situation. It's like a big box on wheels.

I wonder if that holds true for the big diesels.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by HVACTech View Post
    I wonder if that holds true for the big diesels.
    I think my $#@! car (it's French) does about 3100rpms in 5th gear at 80mph. Next car will have 6 gears.
    "I am a bird"

I swapped out the 3 speed for an overdrive. it is a 43RH and the specs are .069 for the overdrive. coupled with a 3.55 rear end and 28" tires... that calculates to 2350 rpm. at 80 MPH
    as near as I can tell.. this is the same set up all the new trucks are running.
    I think in 5th gear, that is not overdrive. without overdrive, the engine RPM and the wheel RPM are one and the same.
    that is sorta why I am asking.
    when the speed limit is 75. most folks are running 80.
    I daresay you should be doing better than 13.5 then. I think the only truck I had that was that bad was a 77 chevy fullsize van with a 400, 3 speed, and high differentials.
    There are no crimes against people.
    There are only crimes against the state.
    And the state will never, ever choose to hold accountable its agents, because a thing can not commit a crime against itself.

I daresay you should be doing better than 13.5 then. I think the only truck I had that was that bad was a 77 chevy fullsize van with a 400, 3 speed, and high differentials.
    I had a '78 Chevy 1 ton full time 4-wd with 4.56 lockers under both ends, 70mph was 5600rpm, it got around 6-7mpg loaded or unloaded (built small block) but it'd pull a house if you could hook it up.

My 56 doesn't do 80mph either.....

I'll have to take a look, I think about 2500 RPMs at 80.
    1776 > 1984

The FAILURE of the United States Government to operate and maintain an
    Honest Money System , which frees the ordinary man from the clutches of the money manipulators, is the single largest contributing factor to the World's current Economic Crisis.

The Elimination of Privacy is the Architecture of Genocide

Belief, Money, and Violence are the three ways all people are controlled

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Our central bank is not privately owned.

No Idea

I don't drive 80.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

in my 06 liberty (3.7L) i am at 2600@ 80mph. i get about 17mpg.

in my 70 maverick (200 straight 6) i am at 3300 @ 80mph. i get about 15mpg.

There's a very good forum out there at http://ecomodder.com that covers a lot of fuel efficiency stuff: mods, deletes, hypermiling, non-E fuel, etc. I recommend checking it out.

...and speaking of non-E (for those that haven't heard of it): http://pure-gas.org/

...and to answer the question -- don't know RPM at 80mph, but will take a look next time I'm out.
    “Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want and deserve to get it good and hard.”

H.L. Mencken

I was disappointed when I checked the MPG. but I am not so sure now..
    it has EFI but it is throttle body of course.
    it only has one oxygen sensor, and we mounted it on the drivers side collector for the headers.

I have been driving this very same truck for 12 years. and I was just about to get rid of it...AGAIN...
    when I found a set of factory bucket seats and the console as well....

that is the same as a boob job for an old truck. (trucks don't rust where I live)

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by satchelmcqueen View Post
    in my 06 liberty (3.7L) i am at 2600@ 80mph. i get about 17mpg.

in my 70 maverick (200 straight 6) i am at 3300 @ 80mph. i get about 15mpg.
    that sounds like the other honest answers that I have got so far... I see these crazy #'s and I think.. where? in Kansas with a tailwind?
    I asked the question because there are lots of cars running that speed today.

200 cubic inches converts to 3.2 liters. I bet the Liberty has overdrive and the maverick does not...

Quote Originally Posted by luctor-et-emergo View Post
    I think my $#@! car (it's French) does about 3100rpms in 5th gear at 80mph. Next car will have 6 gears.
    80 MPH converts to 128 KPH.... I wish my $#@!ing country would desist from forcing me to make all these $#@!ing conversions!
    WTF America!
    cue @Anti Federalist

there is only ONE way to measure Revolutions... and Americans are about to find out.

that sounds like the other honest answers that I have got so far... I see these crazy #'s and I think.. where? in Kansas with a tailwind?
    I asked the question because there are lots of cars running that speed today.

200 cubic inches converts to 3.2 liters. I bet the Liberty has overdrive and the maverick does not...
    you are very correct. overdrive on liberty and only 3 gears in the maverick. the maverick only weighs 2800lbs but those rpms are high for gas. i usually drive it 65. when i get my 347 in it, itll be a 6 speed auto.im aiming for a gear thatll get me at 2500rps at 90mph.

Quote Originally Posted by satchelmcqueen View Post
    you are very correct. overdrive on liberty and only 3 gears in the maverick. the maverick only weighs 2800lbs but those rpms are high for gas. i usually drive it 65. when i get my 347 in it, itll be a 6 speed auto.im aiming for a gear thatll get me at 2500rps at 90mph.
    when I first put in the overdrive, I tried to run the original 2.76 rear end gears.. it did not work worth a $#@!.
    what I learned along the way.. is that each engine has a "torque curve"
    torque is what spins the wheels. not Horsepower.

I was shooting for low end torque. (it is a truck) and I use it as a truck.
    since it an 89.. I was concerned that I was running it too fast on the interstate.
    the gas pedal feels REALLY good at 80 MPH.

is that each engine has a "torque curve"
    Long stroke, less cylinders, higher compression, lower RPM = more torque.

Short stroke, more cylinders, average compression, higher RPM = more horsepower.

As a rough rule of thumb.

Diesels are ideally suited to automotive applications.

But we can't have them.

Because Uncle, and his kingly decrees and fatwas.

Long stroke, less cylinders, higher compression, lower RPM = more torque.

Short stroke, more cylinders, average compression, higher RPM = more horsepower.

As a rough rule of thumb.

Diesels are ideally suited to automotive applications.

But we can't have them.

Because Uncle, and his kingly decrees and fatwas.
    you are one strange cat...

diesel is an oil. and exhibits a much longer flame (plasma) propagation time.
    (diesel expands for a longer period of time)
    this is why it produces more low end torque.
    octane has a high vapor pressure. (diesel is very low) octane needs other stuff to be mixed in.
    to control it's vapor pressure. or, like @<u><a href="http://www.ronpaulforums.com/member.php?u=38380" target="_blank">Suzanimal</a></u> it will burn hot and fast.

when you mix "other" stuff in with octane. it becomes 'Gasoline"

how can you tell how much of the "good stuff" (octane) that you are getting?
    look at the pump, (look at the fine print) it will give you the octane rating!

Reid vapor pressure (RVP) is a common measure of the volatility of gasoline. It is defined as the absolute vapor pressure exerted by a liquid at 100 °F (37.8 °C) as determined by the test method ASTM-D-323.

if, perchance. you DO NOT KNOW what the volatility of octane, has to do with absolute vapor pressure....
    mebbe you should NOT have pissed off your very favorite HVACTech!

Last edited by HVACTech; 10-18-2016 at 10:05 PM.

I would never drive at 80 mph, that would be illegal here.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

Quote Originally Posted by Danke View Post
    My 57 Chevy had no seat belts and got 17 mpg at 50 mph to 80 mph so I just drove it 80 , I do not think it is illegal here for a barefoot Indian smoking a cigarette to drive 80 with a straight 6 and the window down drinking a Miller High Life with no seat belt . At least I hope not , Lol
    Do something Danke

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    My 57 Chevy had no seat belts and got 17 mpg at 50 mph to 80 mph so I just drove it 80 , I do not think it is illegal here for a barefoot Indian smoking a cigarette to drive 80 with a straight 6 and the window down drinking a Miller High Life with no seat belt . At least I hope not , Lol
    Injuns always think they are above the law. We used to have a solution for that.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

Quote Originally Posted by Danke View Post
    I like to visit my friends in Texas.

Speed limits in the United States vary depending on jurisdiction, with 75 to 80 mph (120 to 130 km/h) common in the Western United States and 65 to 70 mph (100 to 110 km/h) common in the Eastern United States.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speed_...y_jurisdiction

you are one strange cat...

diesel is an oil. and exhibits a much longer flame (plasma) propagation time.
    (diesel expands for a longer period of time)
    this is why it produces more low end torque.
    octane has a high vapor pressure. (diesel is very low) octane needs other stuff to be mixed in.
    to control it's vapor pressure. or, like @<u><a href="http://www.ronpaulforums.com/member.php?u=38380" target="_blank">Suzanimal</a></u> it will burn hot and fast.

when you mix "other" stuff in with octane. it becomes 'Gasoline"

how can you tell how much of the "good stuff" (octane) that you are getting?
    look at the pump, (look at the fine print) it will give you the octane rating!

Reid vapor pressure (RVP) is a common measure of the volatility of gasoline. It is defined as the absolute vapor pressure exerted by a liquid at 100 °F (37.8 °C) as determined by the test method ASTM-D-323.

if, perchance. you DO NOT KNOW what the volatility of octane, has to do with absolute vapor pressure....
    mebbe you should NOT have pissed off your very favorite HVACTech!

I'm not burning hot and fast. O_o I'm a nice girl. I don't even know what I'm doing in this thread. I don't know anything about cars and less about gas.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    I'm not burning hot and fast. O_o I'm a nice girl. I don't even know what I'm doing in this thread. I don't know anything about cars and less about gas.
    Lemmie tell you 'bout my bean recipe....

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    Lemmie tell you 'bout my bean recipe....

Mr Animal made some super spicy charros beans last year and farted all night for a few days. He was killing me. I woke him up beating him with a pillow in the middle of the night several times. He was sleeping on his side with his butt facing in my direction and damn near gassed me out of the room. I'm not kidding, I woke up gagging it was so bad. I still get nervous when he eats beans, I think he gave me PTSD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

when I first put in the overdrive, I tried to run the original 2.76 rear end gears.. it did not work worth a $#@!.
    what I learned along the way.. is that each engine has a "torque curve"

I was shooting for low end torque. (it is a truck) and I use it as a truck.
    since it an 89.. I was concerned that I was running it too fast on the interstate.
    the gas pedal feels REALLY good at 80 MPH.
    yes. im going to use a streetfighter trans thats like the original C4, but it is able to handle around 500hp. the 347 im putting in dynos at 400 and around 450 torque. but the key thing to my gearing will be an overdrive unit made by a company called gear vendor. its a simple bolt on to the trans that replaces the tail section. it splits each gear and makes the 3 speed into a 6 speed and keeps the rpms up when it shifts where the power band is. it can be shut off and on with a button on the shifter. they use them on dragsters and losts of drag cars. the rear end gear will depend on the size of tire i use and what i want that final gear to run at.

guys on the maverick forums are runnin a 4.10 rear gear and still cruise at 80mph with about 2500rpms. it really allows you get the entire low and high end the way it works. its expensive, but this is my fun car until i die so im going to make it exactly what i want it to be. maybe next year ill have it all together. still need to get disc brakes and rebuild the front end.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast