Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Universal Healthcare; yay or nay?

Universal Healthcare; yay or nay?

I'm in the national forensic league and the Lincoln Douglas issue for the next two months is "should the United States have universal health care".

Since I am in the RPF, specifically in economics subject, you guys probably might know a lot more on the disadvantages, sources, documentaries, and austrian think tanks. Any documentaries, videos, books, that I should look at in the matter?
    Last edited by UMULAS; 10-16-2012 at 07:37 AM.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    No. The free market can deliver much higher quality health care at much lower costs.

The United States already has health care.

What a poorly worded question. Unless it was purposely suggesting there was no health care before the government stepped in.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruno View Post

What a poorly worded question. Unless it was purposely suggesting there was no health care before the government stepped in.
    It is a poorly worded question. Of course universal health care is desired. Everyone who needs health care should have access to it.

The real question is: Do you want high quality health care at affordable prices or poor quality health care at a very expensive cost?

It seems that most people want poor quality at high prices because it is 'free' or 'no cost to them' which is an outright lie. The 'free' health care is much more expensive than what the free market could deliver... the 'free' part is like the inflation tax... the true costs are cleverly hidden.

The free market will deliver high quality health care at affordable prices while government health care will deliver poor quality care at very expensive prices.

Look at the crashing EU for your answers...

Nay. Look to the histories of the VA and Bureau of Indian Affairs/Indian Health Service. It is a history replete with examples of horrendous care, lack of innovation, unauthorized human experimentation, and eugenics.

XNN
    "They sell us the president the same way they sell us our clothes and our cars. They sell us every thing from youth to religion the same time they sell us our wars. I want to know who the men in the shadows are. I want to hear somebody asking them why. They can be counted on to tell us who our enemies are but theyre never the ones to fight or to die." - Jackson Browne Lives In The Balance

I don't know which side of this debate you're supposed to be on. I don't know of any good books on the subject myself, or even any good numbers. If you just want numbers, there are statistics to support both sides. Since Nation A is always different from Nation B, numbers are easy to cook. Find two countries about the same size, one with socialized medicine and one without, and make sure half the population of the one are farmers and half the population of the other are coal miners. The nation of coal miners will look worse no matter what.

I'd tackle the anti- side, if I had the choice. I'd make sure I had thoroughly cooked numbers to refute their thoroughly cooked numbers, because they have cooked numbers. There are enough skewed stats on both sides. But I'd make the thrust of my argument liberty, not money. The money question just gives your neighbors a financial incentive to poke through your kitchen cabinets and hang you for having anything in them from Karo syrup to frying oil. Talk about how it makes your health the government's business, then get some treatise on good health from the 1950s and read portions of it. Make the case that liberty would be difficult and demonization unavoidable when the scientists are recommending red meat one minute and saying it will give you a heart attack the next minute. Contrast the diet of a bodybuilder with the diet of a supermodel. Two paragons of fitness; two completely different diets.

'One size fits all' is an anathema to liberty. Always.

Quote Originally Posted by XNavyNuke View Post
    Nay. Look to the histories of the VA and Bureau of Indian Affairs/Indian Health Service. It is a history replete with examples of horrendous care, lack of innovation, unauthorized human experimentation, and eugenics.

XNN
    Or the Soviets. Or the Nazis. Or freaking England. Horror stories abound. Eugenics is a strong argument, and if you go there you had better go in with your eugenics argument bulletproof, because it will be met with arguments that they aren't talking about what happens if and when the 'mad scientists' get put in charge, but if it's run the way its supposed to. The BIA and Tuskegee are good to use because that crap happened right here in the US of A. If you argue eugenics, you must show how the fiscal stake in your health I mentioned will lead to eugenics naturally, and unavoidably. Show how right now, right here, smokers and fat people are being demonized and Obamacare isn't even in effect yet.
    Last edited by acptulsa; 10-16-2012 at 06:49 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    You only want the freedoms that will undermine the nation and lead to the destruction of liberty.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Nay.

This is a personal favorite.
    http://mises.org/daily/4276

Also, you should research mandates. Insurance is expensive for a multitude of reasons, but the most comprehendable reason is the mandates.
    My wife and I are both required to carry coverage for abortions. And I am required to be covered for hysterectomies.

Now I just checked, and I have balls, and I'm not a hermaphrodite, so I can say with 100% certainty that I will never, ever have an abortion or a hysterectomy.
    But thanks to government meddling in health care, I'm covered when I need one!

Also, I think this is interesting:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hospitallers
    The very word "hospital" is used as it is today because of a group of medieval charity workers.

Etymologically, that's what a "hospital" is - a place where one receives charity.
    If statists want to take over healthcare, they should get their own word for it.
    There are no crimes against people.
    There are only crimes against the state.
    And the state will never, ever choose to hold accountable its agents, because a thing can not commit a crime against itself.

The U.S. Universal Healthcare question is a quirky acedemic question. The two-party system is controlled by lobbyist including insurance companies and drugmakers. The only way we could go to a universal coverage system is if these groups could leverage more profit. That would mean higher cost to the consumer and less availability. Even if other countries are running Universal Healthcare systems that out perfroms healthcare in the U.S., there is no way the U.S. can emulate it.

Now I just checked, and I have balls, and I'm not a hermaphrodite, so I can say with 100% certainty that I will never, ever have an abortion or a hysterectomy.
    Never say never, science !
    "The Patriarch"

Quote Originally Posted by dean.engelhardt View Post
    The U.S. Universal Healthcare question is a quirky acedemic question. The two-party system is controlled by lobbyist including insurance companies and drugmakers. The only way we could go to a universal coverage system is if these groups could leverage more profit. That would mean higher cost to the consumer and less availability. Even if other countries are running Universal Healthcare systems that out perfroms healthcare in the U.S., there is no way the U.S. can emulate it.
    Do you have proof that the two party system is involved with lobbyists to profit money from health care?

Quote Originally Posted by UMULAS View Post
    Do you have proof that the two party system is involved with lobbyists to profit money from health care?
    I've even seen AARP reports on the huge percentage of political campaign cash that comes from Big Pharma. Do your homework.
    You only want the freedoms that will undermine the nation and lead to the destruction of liberty.

I'm in the national forensic league and the Lincoln Douglas issue for the next two months is "should the United States have universal health care".

Since I am in the RPF, specifically in economics subject, you guys probably might know a lot more on the disadvantages, sources, documentaries, and austrian think tanks. Any documentaries, videos, books, that I should look at in the matter?
    Go to mises.org and start reading any basic treatise on Austrian economics. Read some of Rothbard's essays on liberty. Then go to freedomisobvious.blogspot.com for an explanation of what constitutes proper and rightful freedom. If you cannot find your answers between these three, you need to major in something else. 1/2
    freedomisobvious.blogspot.com

There is only one correct way: freedom. All other solutions are non-solutions.

It appears that artificial intelligence is at least slightly superior to natural stupidity.

Our words make us the ghosts that we are.

Convincing the world he didn't exist was the Devil's second greatest trick; the first was convincing us that God didn't exist.

Shirley, you can't be serious. Me thinks you're being facetious or just lazy.
    "The Patriarch"

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruno View Post

D00d, give the kid a break and read between the lines a little. I am confidently certain that by "universal healthcare" be meant government issued "free" systems such as BammyCare and not universally accessible private brands.
    freedomisobvious.blogspot.com

There is only one correct way: freedom. All other solutions are non-solutions.

It appears that artificial intelligence is at least slightly superior to natural stupidity.

Our words make us the ghosts that we are.

Convincing the world he didn't exist was the Devil's second greatest trick; the first was convincing us that God didn't exist.

The expected approach for the "Nay" side is to show how poorly run government health care is or pointing to cases of private health care that works. The opposition will expect this, and that is how most of the answers so far have framed the argument.

They would not expect an argument based upon the essential belief in liberty and the fact that every human owns their own body and that by forcing someone to do something they do not want to do, for whatever good intentions, is immoral and wrong.

Check out sources based upon our inherent god given rights. Check out this: http://www.isil.org/resources/philos...ty-english.swf

Look to Socrates and Aristotle for the fundamental philosophies of being a free person.

Approach it from that angle and your opponent will have no response prepared.
    Definition of political insanity: Voting for the same people expecting different results.

Funny how the term "Health Care" invariably slips past everyone unquestioned, as if we all know and understand exactly what that means. No wonder that, without an ounce of critical thought, it can then be just as easily preceded by the word "Universal", as if we also know what that means.

The entire concept of health care in the United States, approached almost entirely as an aggregate problem, is an utter farce. There is no such thing as anything that approaches the ideal that the proponents of so-called "Universal Health Care" are advocating without a critical examination of market principles in other than macroeconomic terms. Politicians are not trying to figure out "how to make health care affordable", because they are for the most part ignorant of the protectionism and other flagrant free market violations already in place, without being questioned, just as they are mostly ignorant of their own culpability that made all levels of health care in the United States artificially unaffordable in the first place. They are accepting of the costs, trying instead to figure out the "fairest" (or most efficient) ways to get everyone to pay them, with a focus on insurance, and premiums, not health care.

If you want to get to a problem, go to the roots. Market distortions and aberrations almost always are rooted in state-enforced protectionism in one form or another. There are oligopolistic de facto "legal tender-like" aspects to health care in the U.S., no different in principle than exists with the Federal Reserve and the thoroughly hijacked currency it counterfeits. If you want to know the problem with monetary systems, learn about the banking, the history of the Fed, and the role that academia played, and continues to play, in that Little Shop of Monetary Horrors plant that was seeded in 1913. Likewise, if you want to get to the core problems that made health care in the United States behave contrary to the rest of the market, and wholly unlike a free market, explore the protectionist history of medicine, beginning with the elitists in medicine who founded the utterly protectionist American Medical Association in 1847, along with the role that academia has played all along, and continues to play, in that Enormous Shop of Health Care Horrors.

There is a reason doctors no longer make house calls, but once did. It has nothing to do with "the rising costs of health care". It has nothing to do with technological advances -- as proved by the highly competitive high tech industry, where costs and prices and go down, not up, with advancements.
    Last edited by Steven Douglas; 10-16-2012 at 07:58 AM.

Oh, and pro and con are spelled 'yea' and 'nay'.

We could do your homework for you, but if you don't buckle down yourself you'll still flunk.

I used to prepare for debates at the library with my nose in a hardcover periodical index. If you're too lazy to use a search engine, I don't know what you expect from me. I can give you angles to use which, as Elwar pointed out, will help you catch your opponent off guard and unprepared. But I can't develop your memory, and I can't teach you how to think critically.

And I won't do your research for you. Not my grade, son.
    Last edited by acptulsa; 10-16-2012 at 08:06 AM.

I'm off to the hospital for $3000 worth of drugs for my disabled kid this morning. He has an ultra rare bleeding disorder. I was there 2 days ago and 2 weeks ago for the same. I'll be back in another 2 days for another $3000 treatment. He's 3, we've probably long since passed $100k and are on to $1/4m. No meds? He bleeds to death.

I'm a carpenter, I make $200 on a good day, about a 1/4 of every month I'm at home enforcing bed rest to help him recover and save everyone money.

At 3, he's learning to read and has single digit addition and subtraction under control.

I don't know what the right answer is. I've met a lot of million dollar babies in hematology and oncology. If I could be emperor, I'd declare state royalties on oil and mineral commonwealth to cover the cost of universal health care. Generally, I do not believe in the wisdom of "welfare" for groups. I think there is greater wisdom in "citizen's dividends" for all.

just some perspective on this issue,

presence
    Last edited by presence; 10-16-2012 at 08:13 AM.

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

Awareness is the Root of Liberation Revolution is Action upon Revelation

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.

...the familiar ritual of institutional self-absolution...
    ...for protecting them, by mock trial, from punishment...

Quote Originally Posted by Elwar View Post
    They would not expect an argument based upon the essential belief in liberty and the fact that every human owns their own body and that by forcing someone to do something they do not want to do, for whatever good intentions, is immoral and wrong.
    Sorry I can't rep you right now for this, excellent point.
    Though I don't think you should slouch on the argument that free market medicine works! If you're painted into the corner where they're claiming only government medicine works, you should be able to fight your way out of that handily.
    Look up "medical tourism".

Quote Originally Posted by presence View Post
    I'm off to the hospital for $3000 worth of drugs for my disabled kid this morning.
    I ain't tryin' to poke my nose into what your kid has, but out of curiosity, what is the drug?
    I'd bet the rent that it's not some "ultra rare bleeding disorder only" formulation. I'm guessing it's something that has a multitude of uses, and that the market would have brought it down to cents a pill years ago if it was allowed to.
    There are no crimes against people.
    There are only crimes against the state.
    And the state will never, ever choose to hold accountable its agents, because a thing can not commit a crime against itself.

Quote Originally Posted by fisharmor View Post
    I ain't tryin' to poke my nose into what your kid has, but out of curiosity, what is the drug?
    I'd bet the rent that it's not some "ultra rare bleeding disorder only" formulation. I'm guessing it's something that has a multitude of uses, and that the market would have brought it down to cents a pill years ago if it was allowed to.
    Actually, its an "ultra rare bleeding disorder only formulation". His blood is missing clotting factor IX. "0% of normal" in circulation. Blood does not clot without IX, which causes periodic (weekly/monthly) internal bleeding among other things. He gets genetically modified recombinant Factor IX via IV catheter (benefix) on demand when needed. For a while he was on a human plasma based factor replacement (alphanine); one dose took 1500 distinct blood donors, plus logistics and labs. The recombinant stuff comes from chinese hampster ovaries cells genetically modified to produce human fIX in a petri dish, plus a lot of other high tech clean room processing that I couldn't concisesly explain in 5000 words or less. Keywords alphanine, benefix, mononine. No other uses really. Many more new more expensive technologies on the frontier. I'm actually on the phone right now with his pharmacist ordering more doses. I keep about $30,000 in the fridge, the meds arrive on ice next-day. Aside from the IX, doctor's visits, and nursing care, there are other big money complications which may come with time: His grandfather had 5 artificial joints for example. Hepatitis or inhibitors are other common potential complications that could balloon costs tenfold. Knock on wood. Highly specialized technical $#@! costs money. He's bleeding into the synovial fluid in his right knee at the moment; he's due for his next dose in about an hour. I have him sitting next to me (off his feet) watching a youtube about scorpions.
    Last edited by presence; 10-16-2012 at 09:47 AM.

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

Awareness is the Root of Liberation Revolution is Action upon Revelation

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.

...the familiar ritual of institutional self-absolution...
    ...for protecting them, by mock trial, from punishment...

Check out chapter 2 in Rollback by Tom Woods. He has a really good part on healthcare.

Also see:

How Government Solved the Health Care Crisis, Medical Insurance that Worked — Until Government "Fixed" It
    The Libertarian Three-Step Program
    Socialized Healthcare vs. The Laws of Economics

These videos are really good, watch them if you have time:

Also see Hazlitt on price controls in Economics in One Lesson and Rothbard in Man, Economy, and State. When the government forces something to be "free", it has an effect of being a minimum price control, a price of $0. Government increases demand while simultaneously restricting supply... this equals shortages. No amount of wishing or legislation can create medical goods and services out of thin air.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I'm going to get beat up here for saying this but:

We already have socialized healthcare and have had so for decades. We already take care of the sick, elderly and poor and illegals off the dime paid but those stupid enough to pay into a system that is flawed. The $700 Billion obama is taking out of medicare to fund obamacare is a fraud. All they did is lower the payment % rates on some things to providers. The providers in turn will increase their stated rate or squeeze it out of the non medicaid and medicare crowd. Healthcare in the USA is really F'ed up and the sooner we realize that we're NEVER EVER (barring colapse of America) going to have a free market type healthcare system the sooner we can work on making the one we have as effective and efficent as possible.

On some issues its better to punt then continually go for it on forth down. This is one of them. Obamacare is here to stay whether you like it or not so lets make the best we can with what we got.

Part 1

Part 2

Part 3

Part 4

Part 5

+ rep for the laugh. In case this was not a joke:

http://www.opensecrets.org/lobby/issuesum.php?id=HCR

there are 1,728 registered lobbyist in the healthcare industry.
    Last edited by dean.engelhardt; 10-16-2012 at 10:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by dean.engelhardt View Post
    + rep for the laugh. In case this was not a joke:

http://www.opensecrets.org/lobby/issuesum.php?id=HCR

there are 1,728 registered lobbyist in the healthcare industry.
    What are you giving him rep for? Some of us did half his homework for him, and haven't gotten so much as a rep in return...

Link

In addition to campaign contributions to elected officials and candidates, companies, labor unions, and other organizations spend billions of dollars each year to lobby Congress and federal agencies. Some special interests retain lobbying firms, many of them located along Washington's legendary K Street; others have lobbyists working in-house. We've got totals spent on lobbying, beginning in 1998, for everyone from AAI Corp. to Zurich Financial.

You can use the options below to search through our database in several ways: search by name for a company, lobbying firm or individual lobbyist; search for the total spending by a particular industry; view the interests that lobbied a particular government agency; or search for lobbying on a general issue or specific piece of legislation.

Total Lobbying Spending
    1998 $1.44 Billion
    1999 $1.44 Billion
    2000 $1.56 Billion
    2001 $1.64 Billion
    2002 $1.82 Billion
    2003 $2.04 Billion
    2004 $2.18 Billion
    2005 $2.42 Billion
    2006 $2.61 Billion
    2007 $2.85 Billion
    2008 $3.30 Billion
    2009 $3.50 Billion
    2010 $3.55 Billion
    2011 $3.33 Billion
    2012 $1.68 Billion

Number of Lobbyists*
    1998 10,408
    1999 12,937
    2000 12,537
    2001 11,833
    2002 12,118
    2003 12,916
    2004 13,168
    2005 14,072
    2006 14,508
    2007 14,849
    2008 14,226
    2009 13,806
    2010 12,975
    2011 12,714
    2012 11,702
    Last edited by dean.engelhardt; 10-16-2012 at 11:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by acptulsa View Post
    What are you giving him rep for? Some of us did half his homework for him, and haven't gotten so much as a rep in return...
    I'm a give not a taker. + rep

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast