Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Back in the wind.

Would love to build one of these.

Last edited by Anti Federalist; 05-09-2017 at 12:21 AM.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    The fewest moving parts and simplified electronics might be a good place to start....
    I'm thinking seriously about one of these I spotted on Craigslist in my area. 2007 black Kymco People S 200. $1250. 4400 miles. Carburetor. Forced air cooled. Kick start back up. Parts are insanely cheap. 256 lbs. Like the idea of the 16" wheels. Gutless but bulletproof GY6 based 163cc engine (even though they brand it a "200"). Might hit 60 MPH on a good day with no headwind. Slightly freeway legal for CA just in case I need an exit or two occasionally. Whaddya think for a first bike?

Last edited by anaconda; 05-08-2017 at 11:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by anaconda View Post
    I'm thinking seriously about one of these I spotted on Craigslist in my area. $1250. 4400 miles. Carburetor. Forced air cooled. Kick start back up. Parts are insanely cheap. Like the idea of the 16" wheels. Gutless but bulletproof GY6 based 163cc engine. Might hit 60 MPH on a good day with no headwind. Slightly freeway legal for CA just in case I need an exit or two occasionally. Whaddya think for a first bike?

I know you asked tod, but based on what you've told us, I think you'd do fine with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    I know you asked tod, but based on what you've told us, I think you'd do fine with it.
    I'm thinking at $1250 with zero riding experience I can't go too far wrong. Even though it would require delaying learning to shift. I could learn to ride, lean into turns, get smart about how traffic works, do some generic maintenance, etc. If I total it I'm only out $1250. And if I don't I think I could resell it for at least $900.

I'm getting a broken link on your photo. Maybe it's just my PC?

The fewest moving parts and simplified electronics might be a good place to start....
    This reviewer (the second discussion in the video regarding the 2017 Honda Rebel 300) makes an interesting statement about carburetors vs. electronic fuel injection at 6:10 in the video. He says carbs "keep you wrenching instead of riding." Also numerous other comments in his monologue implying that a more technologically advanced machine can in many ways can provide for a more confidence inspiring, safer, smoother, less frustrating and distracting situation to devote all of one's focus on confidently learning how to ride (i.e. by utilizing EFI, ABS disc brakes, liquid cooling, ergonomics, smooth throttle response, etc.). BTW this is probably my top choice for a first bike, without any consideration for $$$. But I think if I take a motorcycle class or two over at City College of San Francisco (cheap) that carb maintenance, rebuilds, or replacements would likely be a no-brainer. But it sounds like carburetors will soon go the way of the dinosaurs. But no harm in learning both technologies, right?

Last edited by anaconda; 05-09-2017 at 12:21 AM.

I meant for the question to be addressed to all of you experienced motorcycle geeks. I was just pivoting off of the simplicity theme which, of course, you have emphasized throughout.
    Last edited by anaconda; 05-09-2017 at 12:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Danke View Post

Was this part of the Bradley Manning dump?

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    This is what almost all diesels used prior to Uncle Sucker's fatwas and computers...it was dirt simple, efficient and reliable to the point of being bulletproof.

The pump and fuel system in this video is an almost exact replica of the fuel system in my John Deere backhoe.

Nice video.

This reviewer (the second discussion in the video regarding the 2017 Honda Rebel 300) makes an interesting statement about carburetors vs. electronic fuel injection at 6:10 in the video. He says carbs "keep you wrenching instead of riding." Also numerous other comments in his monologue implying that a more technologically advanced machine can in many ways can provide for a more confidence inspiring, safer, smoother, less frustrating and distracting situation to devote all of one's focus on confidently learning how to ride (i.e. by utilizing EFI, ABS disc brakes, liquid cooling, ergonomics, smooth throttle response, etc.). BTW this is probably my top choice for a first bike, without any consideration for $$$. But I think if I take a motorcycle class or two over at City College of San Francisco (cheap) that carb maintenance, rebuilds, or replacements would likely be a no-brainer. But it sounds like carburetors will soon go the way of the dinosaurs. But no harm in learning both technologies, right?
    Again, like water cooling, all true.

The modern, electronic, fuel injected, ECM controlled engines are a glory to behold when they are working properly.

It when they don't, that the problems arise.

Incredibly sophisticated and complex systems are also incredibly difficult to troubleshoot and repair when they stop working properly.

To me, this goes against everything the "zen" of motorcycling is all about: simplicity, self reliance and freedom.

All those electronics are the cats ass when they're new but just like any electronic device they're prone to glitches/intermittent failure or complete failure especially on a used and older vehicle...

You may think I'm completely nuts but there's lots to be said for learning to drive/ride a vehicle with manual drum brakes and no gizmos....

Disc brakes will be a night-n-day experience, more cylinders, a wet clutch, overhead cams, fuel injection.............Each 'improvement' changes how a vehicle behaves and how the human interacts with it...

If you start with techno-gizmo marvels you'll quickly become dependent on them....

Why take a class? There's plenty of resources online for free. Back when I had my first quad, I just took it all apart, cleaned it, put it back together and the set all the screws per the manual and tuned from there. There's always a troubleshooting section that tells you how to adjust for rich/lean on top and bottom. Not that hard and teaching yourself is a great skill to have. Classes are fine and dandy, I just think you'd be better off financially and building skills and self-confidence to do it yourself.

I'm thinking at $1250 with zero riding experience I can't go too far wrong. Even though it would require delaying learning to shift. I could learn to ride, lean into turns, get smart about how traffic works, do some generic maintenance, etc. If I total it I'm only out $1250. And if I don't I think I could resell it for at least $900.
    Yeah, I think it's time you just pull the trigger. It's cheap, simple and easy. You're not over your head and should you determine in a few weeks to move up in size, you're not out much cash at all. I say go for it and get started on the learning curve and have fun!

I'm thinking seriously about one of these I spotted on Craigslist in my area. 2007 black Kymco People S 200. $1250. 4400 miles. Carburetor. Forced air cooled. Kick start back up. Parts are insanely cheap. 256 lbs. Like the idea of the 16" wheels. Gutless but bulletproof GY6 based 163cc engine (even though they brand it a "200"). Might hit 60 MPH on a good day with no headwind. Slightly freeway legal for CA just in case I need an exit or two occasionally. Whaddya think for a first bike?

Do it. Jump in and get your feet wet. Next year you can upgrade if you feel the need.
    "The Patriarch"

Quote Originally Posted by ghengis86 View Post
    Yeah, I think it's time you just pull the trigger. It's cheap, simple and easy. You're not over your head and should you determine in a few weeks to move up in size, you're not out much cash at all. I say go for it and get started on the learning curve and have fun!
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    Do it. Jump in and get your feet wet. Next year you can upgrade if you feel the need.
    I'm going against the trend here....

Don't buy some underpowered piece of imported $#@! to 'learn' on...

Best case scenario you blow it up before some idiot in a cage flattens you like a pancake and you're out money and desire....

Learn on something that will carry you down the road with a modicum of style and class and most importantly power.

Best case scenario you blow it up before some idiot in a cage flattens you like a pancake and you're out money and desire....

Learn on something that will carry you down the road with a modicum of style and class and most importantly power.
    Lol. My first bike was a GS 850 that I hardly got to ride, needed work. My first bike that I spent any time on was the 1500 goldwing, but it sounds like anaconda is going to be doing most of his riding in extremely urban settings. Are you planning on getting out on the bay bridge, freeways ect. anaconda?
    "The Patriarch"

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Worth the 20 min.....

Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    Lol. My first bike was a GS 850 that I hardly got to ride, needed work. My first bike that I spent any time on was the 1500 goldwing, but it sounds like anaconda is going to be doing most of his riding in extremely urban settings. Are you planning on getting out on the bay bridge, freeways ect. anaconda?
    Bay Bridge & freeways in CA require a minimum of 150cc. I'd like to at least be legal to utilize them minimally. But I think I would need closer to 500cc to expect to access them with any frequency.

There are three Taiwanese companies that are very nearly, if not fully, in the class with the "big four (Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki, and Yamaha)." They are Sym, PGO, and Kymco. The bike I posted a photo of is a Kymco.

There are three Taiwanese companies that are very nearly, if not fully, in the class with the "big four (Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki, and Yamaha)." They are Sym, PGO, and Kymco. The bike I posted a photo of is a Kymco.
    I'm not an advocate for any of those you named, especially the 'big four'....

In my opinion they all four escalated the disposa society we all suffer under....

It's obvious you're pretty set on spending your money in that venue so I'll try and hold my tongue.....

Was this part of the Bradley Manning dump?
    No, just my solution to noisy bikes.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

In my opinion they all four escalated the disposa society we all suffer under....

It's obvious you're pretty set on spending your money in that venue so I'll try and hold my tongue.....
    No, no. I am quite intrigued and interested in what you have to say. Seriously. And I've flip-flopped more than Mitt Romney on what bike to get. I'd like to hear your thoughts on this. The only thing you've said that I take some adverse issue with is the "style and class" motive. I don't think I care too much what others think about what I'm riding. But that may not be exactly what you were referring to.

Quote Originally Posted by Danke View Post
    No, just my solution to noisy bikes.
    You have my permission.

kymco makes a great bike with high quality components, they made motors for Honda for many years. Sym and the others not so great...

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.

For example, it's my understanding that Harley Davidson are traditionally perpetually over-heated and broken down. So I'm wondering if their parts and systems are part of the "disposa?" The big four are known for reliability and performance. The opposite of disposa.

Thats a two stroke Detroit right? Great motors.

Kymco makes a quality piece of kit, especially for the money.

Quote Originally Posted by afwjam View Post
    kymco makes a great bike with high quality components, they made motors for Honda for many years. Sym and the others not so great...
    People rave about the Sym HD 200. And the American company that imports and brands PGO's scooters is called Genuine headquartered in Chicago. The Genuine "Buddy" also has stellar reviews from their owners. They also import the Indian manufacturer LML's copy of the Piaggio PX, having formerly made Piaggio's PX scooters for the Indian market and manufactured parts for Piaggio (Vespa).

Last edited by anaconda; 05-09-2017 at 02:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by afwjam View Post
    Thats a two stroke Detroit right? Great motors.
    Yes, in this case a 4-53 Detroit (4 cylinders 53 cid per cylinder)

That seems to be the most common, since it will fit easily.

But I've seen 6-53s 6-92s and even an inline 6-71 installed.

Avoid ethonal(eats the float needle) and drain the carb when you store for more then a month. No problems. Fuel injection pretty much always works, biggest problem is usually the $#@!ty fuel maps and electronic throttles some come with, nothing worse then the digital on off snatch of a poorly mapped fuel injection system. My triumphs have had fuel injection since the 90's and it's a thing of beauty. My 1991 k75s has fuel injection and abs, never had a problem and it always starts even after sitting for months and 50k odd miles.

Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast