Thread: Canada - Trudeau changes tune as thousands of Haitians flood border

Exclamation Canada - Trudeau changes tune as thousands of Haitians flood border

Trudeau to asylum seekers: Crossing border illegally won't fast track immigration

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montre...kers-1.4254851

All those who cross illegally will be subject to Canada's 'rigorous' screening projects, prime minister said

By Kate McKenna, CBC News Posted: Aug 20, 2017 1:00 PM ET| Last Updated: Aug 20, 2017 6:25 PM ET

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau has a message for asylum seekers: crossing illegally into the country doesn't offer an advantage when it comes to obtaining refugee status in Canada.

"If I could directly speak to people seeking asylum, I'd like to remind them there's no advantage," Trudeau said at a news conference Sunday in Montreal.

"Our rules, our principles and our laws apply to everyone."

Trudeau's comments come as the government grapples with a surge in asylum seekers crossing into Quebec.

In the first two weeks of August, more than 3,800 people walked over the border into the province, compared to the 2,996 who crossed throughout all of July.

Speaking prior to Montreal's Pride Parade, Trudeau stressed that anyone seeking refugee status will have to go through Canada's "rigorous" screening process.

He said the government is managing the unprecedented flow of predominantly Haitian asylum seekers and that all of them will be subjected to the usual security checks and evaluations before obtaining refugee status in Canada.

Unlike in the United States, Haitians have no special status in Canada. About half of Haitians seeking refugee status in Canada have been denied in the last couple of years.

On Thursday, the federal government announced additional measures to deal with the influx of people.

<snip>

In January, Trudeau tweeted: "To those fleeing persecution, terror and war, Canadians will welcome you, regardless of your faith. Diversity is our strength."
    Another mark of a tyrant is that he likes foreigners better than citizens, and lives with them and invites them to his table; for the one are enemies, but the Others enter into no rivalry with him. - Aristotle's Politics Book 5 Part 11

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Haiti can have quebec and trudeau .

"He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

" i didn think deyed be so BLACK ehh?"
    FLIP THOSE FLAGS, THE NATION IS IN DISTRESS!

why I should worship the state (who apparently is the only party that can possess guns without question).
    The state's only purpose is to kill and control. Why do you worship it? - Sola_Fide

Baptiste said.
    At which point will Americans realize that creating an unaccountable institution that is able to pass its liability on to tax-payers is immoral and attracts sociopaths?

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post

In January, Trudeau tweeted: "To those fleeing persecution, terror and war, Canadians will welcome you, regardless of your faith. Diversity is our strength."
    He never said economic hardship. I don't see how the contradicts that statement.

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    So, the same or better than Trump?

And I'd rather look at Trudeau any day.
    There is no spoon.

Quote Originally Posted by juleswin View Post
    He never said economic hardship. I don't see how the contradicts that statement.
    There is no terror or persecution in Haiti?
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    There is no terror or persecution in Haiti?
    Read the whole sentence again and tell me that he was talking about any type of terror or persecution. Obviously, the context shows that he was mainly talking about the people in the middle east fleeing terror, persecution and war. You have to read the whole sentence to fully understand what he is talking about.

Btw, what terror are people facing in Haiti that is not related to the economy? please tell me

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Read the whole sentence again and tell me that he was talking about any type of terror or persecution. Obviously, the context shows that he was mainly talking about the people in the middle east fleeing terror, persecution and war. You have to read the whole sentence to fully understand what he is talking about.Btw, what terror are people facing in Haiti that is not related to the economy? please tell me

Read the whole sentence again and tell me that he was talking about any type of terror or persecution. Obviously, the context shows that he was mainly talking about the people in the middle east fleeing terror, persecution and war. You have to read the whole sentence to fully understand what he is talking about.

Btw, what terror are people facing in Haiti that is not related to the economy? please tell me
    So, diversity is not a strength if it's prompted by economic hardship?

Quote Originally Posted by Danke View Post
    You must spread some reputation around before giving it to Danke again.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

Update: Up to 4,000 migrants to receive welfare cheques starting Aug. 30
    The Quebec government expects at least $2.5 million in cheques to be handed out.

http://nationalpost.com/news/local-n...5-7a6138a3f514

August 24, 2017
    6:36 PM EDT

Quebec will begin handing out welfare cheques to as many as 4,000 asylum seekers next week, the province’s employment minister said Thursday.

“Quebec has responsibilities in immigration,” François Blais told a news conference.

“Now they’ll be getting welfare, they’ll be able to rent an apartment and get out of temporary accommodation, which is a good thing because it is pretty costly.”

While the minimum basic monthly payment will be $623, Blais said recipients will have to undergo a “revenue test” beforehand to determine if they are eligible for all of that amount.

There will also be an additional sum depending on the recipient’s family status.

The three-day operation will take place at Montreal’s Palais des congrès convention centre beginning Wednesday, Aug. 30.

Blais described the overall situation as “exceptional” and is not excluding asking Ottawa to help reimburse some of the welfare costs.

Nearly 10,000 people have been apprehended at the border since the start of the year as they’ve sought to enter Canada in order to claim refugee status — almost equivalent to the total number of claims filed for all of 2013.

Of those who have arrived this year, nearly 7,000 have arrived since July, the vast majority at an unofficial crossing point between Quebec and New York.

On Wednesday, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau said one option being explored is accelerating the process to give those people temporary work permits so they will be less dependent on the temporary social supports in place.

Justin Trudeau tones down warm welcome for migrants as Canada struggles to cope with influx

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017...ada-struggles/

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    Justin Trudeau tones down warm welcome for migrants as Canada struggles to cope with influx

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017...ada-struggles/
    People in Detroit can't move to Ohio to find work, but Haitians can make it all the way to Canada?

Canada is on track to record the most refugee claims in a decade.

The majority – around 85 per cent, according to Canadian officials – are from Haiti. In May Mr Trump floated the idea of rescinding a long-standing agreement to allow Haitians to remain in the country, meaning that a possible 58,000 Haitians could be deported in 2018.
    I love this last paragraph:
    Michelle Rempel, a politician from the opposition Conservative Party, said it was "completely ridiculous that the Prime Minister of Canada would tout a tent city" to deal with the influx as winter approached.

stoopid dupe posts
    Last edited by Anti Federalist; 09-16-2017 at 09:06 AM.

Good.

Piss off, we got big enough problems of our own.

Fearful of Trump's America, asylum seekers from across the globe stream into Canada

http://www.latimes.com/world/mexico-...htmlstory.html

By ALEXANDRA ZAVIS | PHOTOGRAPHY BY CAROLYN COLE

SEPT. 15, 2017 | REPORTING FROM HEMMINGFORD, CANADA

Although crossing at Roxham Road is illegal, the exchanges that take place there between police and migrants have the feeling of a well-rehearsed script.

A man from Haiti who looks to be in his 20s hops out of a taxi on the U.S. side of the border carrying only what he can fit into a small backpack.

A Canadian officer calls out to him in French and in English. The legal port of entry is three miles away, the officer says. This is an illegal crossing point. If he crosses here, he will be arrested.

“I prefer to go to prison,” the man tells the officer.

Others seem confused by the officer’s warning and hesitate. But eventually, almost everyone crosses, some with their hands in the air.

The migrants know that if they request asylum at an official port of entry, they will be turned back and told to apply in the U.S.

The largest share — about 85% of those currently arriving — are Haitians who lacked visas to enter the U.S. or overstayed the ones they had and now fear being sent home.

“We went through an epic journey to reach the United States — people died on the way,” said Louina St. Juste, a 42-year-old father of five from Haiti who passed through 11 countries, braving vast rainforests and treacherous rivers on a three-month trek from Brazil to San Diego last year. “And now they want to deport us?”

He said he can’t return to Haiti, a country assailed by natural disasters, political turbulence, violent crime and a deadly cholera outbreak. So he flew to New York and caught a Greyhound bus to Plattsburgh, about six hours to the north. From there, it was a 20-minute taxi ride past cornfields and apple orchards to Roxham Road, the now-well-known spot in the town of Champlain where he entered Canada.

St. Juste, who had been living in San Diego, is keeping his hopes up.

When he presented himself to officials at the U.S.-Mexico border, he was placed in detention for six days, then released with no idea where to go. He said he has been treated far better in Canada.

“Here, they welcome us. They give us food, a place to stay. I want to spend the rest of my life here!” he said outside the Montreal Olympic Stadium, where he was living with about 400 other asylum seekers, down from 900.

Members of the Canadian armed forces set up a tent village to house migrants while they wait to file asylum applications at the official port of entry in St. Bernard de Lacolle.

In a few days, St. Juste was expecting to collect his first government assistance check — typically about $670 a month for a single person or $1,200 for a family of four — and move into an apartment.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Obviously the British colony Canada is helping the United Nations reach their goal of a massive "replacement migration. Canada is destined to triple Canada’s population to 100 million (adding some 65 million people) by the end of the 21th century, by importing at least 400,000 to 450,000 permanent immigrants per year: http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...ed-World-Demog

The authors of this plan are the 14 members of Canada’s Advisory Council on Economic Growth. To most Canadians, the idea is preposterous.
    Dominic Barton, who lives in London, the global managing partner of McKinsey & Co worries that without significant population growth, Canada’s international “relevance” will suffer.
    At current, historically high immigration levels, Canada’s population is estimated to grow by more than 20 million in the next 35 years.

Massive migration towards Canada has been planned since at leat the 1960s.
    In 1968, the Mid-Canada Development Corridor Foundation argued that a population of at least 100 million was needed to have a sustainable and independent economy.
    In 1975, a study by Canada's Department of Manpower claimed that economies of scale leading to "significant benefits to Canadian industry" would occur only after the population had reached 100 million.
    In 2010, the journal Global Brief argued that Canada needs a 100 million population for geostrategic, defence and diplomatic reasons.

The strangest argument to me, when hearing over and over again that mankind is the biggest threat to our environment, is that more people would keep Canada's environment better protected.
    Densely populated places, like California and France, do better at conservation than empty zones like the Asian steppe. The threats of global warming – notably ocean-level rises – will require large-scale infrastructure projects that must rely on a large tax base. The most progressive climate-change policies are found in the most densely populated countries: https://beta.theglobeandmail.com/new...l.com&page=all
    Do NOT ever read my posts. Google and Yahoo wouldn’t block them without a very good reason: Google-censors-the-world/page3

The Order of the Garter rules the world: Order of the Garter and the Carolingian dynasty