Thread: Average US wedding cost in 2016? Over $35,000

Exclamation Average US wedding cost in 2016? Over $35,000

The National Average Cost of a Wedding Hits $35,329

https://www.theknot.com/content/aver...ding-cost-2016

We polled nearly 13,000 brides and grooms who married in 2016 for The Knot 2016 Real Weddings Study and learned that they’re splurging on total personalization and creating the ultimate guest experience.

by Maggie Seaver

We just released the 10th annual The Knot 2016 Real Weddings Study, and that means it’s time to talk wedding costs and spending trends. After surveying nearly 13,000 real brides and grooms across America, we found that the overall cost of a wedding has soared to new heights, with a national average of $35,329 (and that’s not including the honeymoon).

The Knot started tracking the average cost of a wedding in 2006, and 10 years later that amount has hit an all-time high. Since just last year’s survey, which revealed a national average of $32,641, the average cost of a wedding has increased by $2,688 (a bigger jump than that from 2014 to 2015, a $1,428 difference).

But remember, this number is still an average, which means, depending on where you choose to wed, your wedding bill could be higher or lower. Tying the knot in, say, Manhattan could cost an average of $78,464, while an Arkansas wedding will average at $19,522.

So what trends and habits are causing this drastic leap in wedding spending? Couples today have total personalization and unforgettable guest experiences top of mind. Interestingly, that doesn’t mean a larger head count. In fact, the average number of wedding guests has decreased to 141, down from 149 in 2009, while the average cost per guest has increased to $245, up from $194 in 2009.

With to-be-weds now shelling out more money per guest, they’re more excited than ever to create the ultimate guest experience complete with out-of-the-box entertainment and exceptional amenities, including everything from food trucks, lawn games and photo booths (which aren’t going anywhere any time soon) to aerialists, gospel choirs and live portrait artists. (Read on, right here, for a full forecast of the hottest wedding trends for 2017.) We’ve also seen an overall increase in spending across all reception categories in 2016, including catering, cake, flowers, photographer, entertainment and the venue itself.
    “Civilizations die from suicide, not by murder.” - Arnold Toynbee

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    It has become a huge racket.
    #NashvilleStrong

“I’m a doctor. That’s a baby.”~~~Dr. Manny Sethi

Quote Originally Posted by euphemia View Post
    It has become a huge racket.
    When you consider that roughly half of all marriages will end within 20 years, it is damn near criminal.

Breakdown for some of their figures:

https://www.gobankingrates.com/savin...re-near-25000/

Wedding invitations $462
    Photographer $2,783
    Wedding dress $1,564
    Groom's attire $280
    Flowers and decor $2,534
    Venue $16,107
    DJ $1,245
    Catering $71 per person
    Favors $268
    Wedding cake $582

We have a married daughter. I think her dress was the single biggest expense, and it was not nearly as expensive as most people spend. We had 300 guests, a simple cake-and-punch reception. I did all the flowers, asked a friend to bring the decorations she used for her parents' anniversary, and had it all in one large room at a church. I had a kids' table with cookies, juice boxes, balloons, and all the bubble bottles. We designed and printed our own invitations. The postage was really almost as much as the dress.

It was a lot of DIY, but it was a wonderful celebration. I worked myself to death, but there you go.
    #NashvilleStrong

“I’m a doctor. That’s a baby.”~~~Dr. Manny Sethi

BWAHAHAHAHAHA
    All modern revolutions have ended in a reinforcement of the power of the State.
    -Albert Camus

At the 2016 high they could have invested $32k for 40 bitcoin. If they cashed out today they would have approximately $350k.

Anyone who pays $500+ for a wedding cake is just plain stupid.
    __________________________________________________ ________________
    "A politician will do almost anything to keep their job, even become a patriot" - Hearst

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I got married this year. We kept things low-key. Wedding/reception at the local Elks, did our own flowers, decorations. Kept it under $10K. Received twice as much in gifts.

Keeping up with Jones's is still alive and well. Ridiculous!
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

To each their own.
    I got married in a little park.
    Decorations were provided by nature.
    Dress was not that expensive.
    A handful of people. (a few immediate family members and that was it. I didn't really want anyone there, to be honest.)
    Total cost: less than $500
    And I didn't want any presents at all.
    I was the Anti-bridezilla.

Add the attorney fees over divorce, child support, and "maintenance (aka alimony)", and you have yourself the admission cost for the "American Dream".

We eloped - got married on a beach in HI, had a 9 day honeymoon, and had all marriage expenses paid within 6 months. The whole thing cost under $10,000. We then had a huge cookout where all the family came out - 60lbs of Pork, Beef, and Chicken (smoked or grilled), a giant tent, and all sorts of other food/drink. Everyone had a fantastic time, and only one person complained about our not having a huge ceremony (that person is dead now, and their opinion never mattered much to me anyway).

Marriage is not about gays, or man/woman - its about government interference and control. Its about leaving your property and freedom subject to the whims of an activist government and another human being which will most certainly change over time. Unless you're having children, and are willing to live with a complete a$$hole for 18 years (duration based on the youngest/only child), then I would not get married. Even then, make sure to get an air-tight prenup, and have full legal review - if you are a male, you need protection from the unfair activist/law, more than you do your potential spouse. In IL, the judge can decide who pays alimony, regardless of whether the woman wants it or not - I'm sure there are other hell holes that have similar laws - protect yourself or avoid marriage (even common law - live in girlfriends).

Gulag Chief:
    "Article 58-1a, twenty five years... What did you get it for?"
    Gulag Prisoner: "For nothing at all."
    Gulag Chief: "You're lying... The sentence for nothing at all is 10 years"

Good Lord , I just bought 5 acres for 20K . It adjoins another about 3 acres I owned in the same spot . It will go to one of my Sons when I am gone .

I hope Dankes bride realizes that marrying Danke should entitle her to at least 40k in wedding spending .

I really do not know how you get to 30k without being stupid or wasteful . Say you get a dress , rent a place , buy some food , beer , send invitations , have some music ,whatever .You should be able to do that under 10K .

I got a pretty good deal on Mrs O , I traded two mules and a blanket for her . Or that is what I told my five year old Great Grand Daughter and she likes to tell people about it .

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Root View Post
    Kept it under $10K. Received twice as much in gifts.
    Nice.

When you consider the whole point of wedding gifts started as a way to give the new couple stuff they wouldn't have to spend on, the average family spending more on the wedding than what the couple received in gifts is pretty stupid.

I'd think beer and spirits for everyone would be the costliest. Even if the reception's smaller than the wedding, which usually it is, unless the wedding was already small, you've gotta do like Jeebus did and save the best booze for last. Keep the barrel rolling.
    Last edited by Raginfridus; 11-27-2017 at 03:25 PM.