Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: TSA blames you for longer lines at airport security checkpoints

Exclamation TSA blames you for longer lines at airport security checkpoints

TSA blames you for longer lines at airport security checkpoints

http://nbc4i.com/2016/05/13/tsa-blam...y-checkpoints/

By NBC4 Staff and Associated Press Published: May 13, 2016, 2:48 pm Updated: May 16, 2016, 5:36 pm

WASHINGTON (WCMH/AP) — Facing a growing backlash over extremely long airport security lines, Homeland Security Secretary Jeh Johnson on Friday asked fliers “to be patient” as the government takes steps to get them onto planes more quickly.

Travelers across the country have endured lengthy lines, some snaking up and down escalators, or through food courts, and into terminal lobbies. At some airports, lines during peak hours have topped 90 minutes. Airlines have reported holding planes at gates to wait for passengers to clear security.

Johnson said the government has a plan to deal with the lines but won’t neglect its duty to stop terrorists.

“Our job is to keep the American people safe,” Johnson told reporters at a news conference. “We’re not going to compromise aviation security in the face of this.”

(So how is corraling up thousands of people, unarmed and defenseless, with no clear path to escape keeping them "safe"?)

The comments reflect a statement released earlier this week after long lines were reported at Newark, JFK and LaGuardia airport security checkpoints.

When asked about those long lines, the TSA essentially blamed you in a press release, specifically passengers who bring too many carry-on items:

There are several factors that have caused checkpoint lines to take longer to screen passengers… including more people traveling with carry-on bags, in many cases bringing more than the airline industry standard of one carry-on bag and one personal item per traveler;

Passenger preparedness can have a significant impact on wait times at security checkpoints nationwide…Individuals who come to the TSA checkpoint unprepared for a trip can have a negative impact on the time it takes to complete the screening process.”

In response, some airport authorities are now threatening to dump the TSA and hire their own private security firms.

The Transportation Security Administration has fewer screeners and has tightened security procedures. Meanwhile, more people are flying. Airlines and the TSA have been warning customers to arrive at the airport two hours in advance, but with summer travel season approaching even that might not be enough.

In the past three years, the TSA and Congress cut the number of front-line screeners by 4,622 — or about 10 percent — on expectations that an expedited screening program called PreCheck would speed up the lines. However, not enough people enrolled for TSA to realize the anticipated efficiencies.

Congress this week did agree to shift $34 million in TSA funding forward, allowing the agency to pay overtime to its existing staff and hire an extra 768 screeners by June 15 to bring it up to the congressionally mandated ceiling of 42,525.

But that might barely make a dent on the lines. This week, the president of the union representing the TSA officers sent a letter to congressional leaders suggesting that 6,000 additional screeners are needed. J. David Cox, Sr. wrote that the $34 million just provides “a small amount of temporary relief for travelers” and defers dealing with the long-term, larger problem.

Additionally, the agency loses about 100 screeners a week through attrition.

Airlines and airports have hired extra workers to handle non-security tasks at checkpoints — such as returning empty bins to the beginning of the line — as part of an effort to free up as many TSA employees to handle passenger screening.

The help can’t come quickly enough.

Friday morning, American Airlines held at least five flights at Dallas-Fort Worth International Airport because of passengers stuck at security lines, according to airline spokesman Ross Feinstein.

On the 7:20 a.m. flight to Las Vegas, 52 of the 160 passengers were not onboard 10 minutes before departure. American held the plane an extra 13 minutes past its scheduled pushback from the gate, allowing 23 passengers to hop onboard. However, 29 still missed the jet and arrived on later flights.

A few gates away, 27 passengers missed their flight to Orlando.

At another American hub, Chicago’s O’Hare International Airport, security lines peaked at one hour and 45 minutes on Thursday.

Delta Air Lines CEO Ed Bastian told The Associated Press Thursday that “the longer lines get the more passengers are going to miss flights and there’s not much you can do about that.”

The biggest help to ease lines is to have more fliers enroll in the PreCheck program.

Launched nationwide in 2012, PreCheck gives previously vetted passengers special screening. Shoes, belts and light jackets stay on. Laptops and liquids stay in bags. And these fliers go through standard metal detectors rather than the explosive-detecting full-body scanners most pass through.

PreCheck security lanes can screen 300 passengers an hour, twice that of standard lanes.

The TSA offered Congress a lofty goal of having 25 million fliers enrolled in the program. But as of March 1, only 9.3 million people were PreCheck members. Applicants must pay $85 to $100 every five years. Most must also trek to the airport for an interview before being accepted. Getting once-a-year fliers to join has been a challenge.

(So, let me get this straight: you tell people how to avoid advanced screening, so that they can use the same screening procedures that were in place prior to 9/11? And people have to pay good money to be put in a tracking database? $#@!'s sake this $#@!ing country...-AF)

Johnson Friday said that 10,000 people applied for PreCheck Thursday, up from 8,500 a day in April and 7,500 in March. Still, at that pace, it will take more than four years to reach 25 million members.
    Another mark of a tyrant is that he likes foreigners better than citizens, and lives with them and invites them to his table; for the one are enemies, but the Others enter into no rivalry with him. - Aristotle's Politics Book 5 Part 11

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post

Launched nationwide in 2012, PreCheck gives previously vetted passengers special screening. Shoes, belts and light jackets stay on. Laptops and liquids stay in bags. And these fliers go through standard metal detectors rather than the explosive-detecting full-body scanners most pass through.

PreCheck security lanes can screen 300 passengers an hour, twice that of standard lanes.

The TSA offered Congress a lofty goal of having 25 million fliers enrolled in the program. But as of March 1, only 9.3 million people were PreCheck members. Applicants must pay $85 to $100 every five years. Most must also trek to the airport for an interview before being accepted. Getting once-a-year fliers to join has been a challenge.

(So, let me get this straight: you tell people how to avoid advanced screening, so that they can use the same screening procedures that were in place prior to 9/11? And people have to pay good money to be put in a tracking database? $#@!'s sake this $#@!ing country...-AF)

I thought they would've sprinkled in a little "booming economy, more people traveling" spin.

Lost opportunity.

"Pre-check", also known as the 4th f-ing amendment.
    Last edited by bunklocoempire; 05-16-2016 at 04:50 PM.
    Fear of man will prove to be a snare, but whoever trusts in the LORD is kept safe. Proverbs 29:25
    "I think the propaganda machine is the biggest problem that we face today in trying to get the truth out to people."
    Ron Paul

Please watch, subscribe, like, & share, Ron Paul Liberty Report
    BITCHUTE IS A LIBERTY MINDED ALTERNATIVE TO GOOGLE SUBSIDIARY YOUTUBE

When asked about those long lines, the TSA essentially blamed you in a press release, specifically passengers who bring too many carry-on items:

There are several factors that have caused checkpoint lines to take longer to screen passengers… including more people traveling with carry-on bags, in many cases bringing more than the airline industry standard of one carry-on bag and one personal item per traveler;
    Now what in the world might have caused an increase in carry-on? Apparently it was beyond the abilities of the author and probably Jay Johnson to figure out.

Bueller? McFly?
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

I've been nowhere near the place.

We travel pretty light. I got a free pre-check on my last solo trip. It was very convenient. I wouldn't pay for it, though.
    #NashvilleStrong

“I’m a doctor. That’s a baby.”~~~Dr. Manny Sethi

Staff - Admin
    Houston, TX

Blog Entries
    I've been talking about this with some people. The leading thought is that they want the long lines to increase sign-ups for the PreCheck program. Long term, you'll be a second class citizen if you don't sign up.

To sign up for PreCheck you have to be fingerprinted, pay an $85 fee and provide other documentation.
    This site has a specific purpose defined in our Mission Statement.

Members must read and follow our Community Guidelines.

I strive to respond to all queries; please excuse late and out-of-sequence responses.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I quit air travel because of these goons. I don't know what I'll do when they take walking and driving to this same level. It's bad enough as it is.

I said the same thing to my wife right after I read the article. However, I think it's more about making it easier to track you. You have to attach your precheck ID with your traveler profile, so they're going to know when you buy the ticket that your traveling... This is more about control and these long lines are being done on purpose.

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan View Post
    I've been talking about this with some people. The leading thought is that they want the long lines to increase sign-ups for the PreCheck program. Long term, you'll be a second class citizen if you don't sign up.

To sign up for PreCheck you have to be fingerprinted, pay an $85 fee and provide other documentation.
    “…I believe that at this point in history, the greatest danger to our freedom and way of life comes from the reasonable fear of omniscient State powers kept in check by nothing more than policy documents.”

I wont blame the TSA or terrorists, Im cutting out the Middle Men and flat out blame the very existence of the TSA on the Govt itself.
    1776 > 1984

The FAILURE of the United States Government to operate and maintain an
    Honest Money System , which frees the ordinary man from the clutches of the money manipulators, is the single largest contributing factor to the World's current Economic Crisis.

The Elimination of Privacy is the Architecture of Genocide

Belief, Money, and Violence are the three ways all people are controlled

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Our central bank is not privately owned.

"Travelers across the country have endured lengthy lines, some snaking up and down escalators..."

How does one line up on an escalator?
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

The TSA at Laguardia and JFK can't keep their hands off my husband. He has a lot of friends in those two airports.
    #NashvilleStrong

“I’m a doctor. That’s a baby.”~~~Dr. Manny Sethi

this is completely backwards. every US citizen should be in the faster pre-check lane automatically
    I just want objectivity on this forum and will point out flawed sources or points of view at my leisure.

Quote Originally Posted by spudea on 01/15/24
    Trump will win every single state primary by double digits.
    Quote Originally Posted by spudea on 04/20/16
    There won't be a contested convention
    Quote Originally Posted by spudea on 05/30/17
    The shooting of Gabrielle Gifford was blamed on putting a crosshair on a political map. I wonder what event we'll see justified with pictures like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan View Post

I have to pay for a TWIC card, and since Lockheed Martin signed it over to some third party enslavement agency, I seem to be getting pre checked boarding passes for the last year now.

God how I long for the day I will never have to step foot in a $#@!ing airport again.

Quote Originally Posted by Danke View Post
    "Travelers across the country have endured lengthy lines, some snaking up and down escalators..."

How does one line up on an escalator?
    Another mark of a tyrant is that he likes foreigners better than citizens, and lives with them and invites them to his table; for the one are enemies, but the Others enter into no rivalry with him. - Aristotle's Politics Book 5 Part 11

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by DGambler View Post
    I said the same thing to my wife right after I read the article. However, I think it's more about making it easier to track you. You have to attach your precheck ID with your traveler profile, so they're going to know when you buy the ticket that your traveling... This is more about control and these long lines are being done on purpose.
    Bingo

I have to pay for a TWIC card, and since Lockheed Martin signed it over to some third party enslavement agency, I seem to be getting pre checked boarding passes for the last year now.

God how I long for the day I will never have to step foot in a $#@!ing airport again.
    You're complaining about getting pre-check boarding passes?
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Short Income Tax Video

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

A broken escalator or one purposely shut down?
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Short Income Tax Video

Quote Originally Posted by Danke View Post
    You're complaining about getting pre-check boarding passes?
    Yeah.

I already have a "pre check", as bunkloco already noted...it's called the 4th Amendment.

God only knows what type of database my flight records are being put into.

Yeah.

I already have a "pre check", as bunkloco already noted...it's called the 4th Amendment.

God only knows what type of database my flight records are being put into.

You can fly on a private jet without the extensive search.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Short Income Tax Video

We heard the airport security lines were getting pretty long but this is ridiculous. . . dead body goes through X-Ray machine

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/tr...y-machine.html

“The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

Well it's certainly not the TSA's fault, they hire only this country's best & brightest
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Donald Trump / Crenshaw 2024!!!!

My pronouns are he/him/his

Quote Originally Posted by donnay View Post
    We heard the airport security lines were getting pretty long but this is ridiculous. . . dead body goes through X-Ray machine

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/tr...y-machine.html

They made a joke about deadheading. I don't appreciate that, I deadheaded last Friday and I don't look anything like that.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Short Income Tax Video

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    They can't blame me. I won't fly, hell, I won't even ride a ferry anymore. They drag their stinking sniff dogs right down the line of vehicles waiting to board. They can all eat $#@! and die as far as I'm concerned.
    "The Patriarch"

Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    They can't blame me. I won't fly, hell, I won't even ride a ferry anymore. They drag their stinking sniff dogs right down the line of vehicles waiting to board. They can all eat $#@! and die as far as I'm concerned.
    You stopped riding ferries? That is a start . Can you speak with AF?
    Last edited by Danke; 05-17-2016 at 09:48 AM.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Short Income Tax Video

Lines are longer why?

The Transportation Security Administration has fewer screeners and has tightened security procedures. Meanwhile, more people are flying.
    Additionally, the agency loses about 100 screeners a week through attrition.

http://fox8.com/2016/05/13/phoenix-s...-checked-bags/

Thousands of checked bags miss flights leaving Phoenix airport

PHOENIZ, Arizona — Flying out of Phoenix to head to a wedding or another special event?

You many not want to put your suit or nice dress in a checked bag.

After a screening glitch that lasted hours, there’s no telling when it will show up.

Thousands of checked bags piled up Thursday at Sky Harbor Airport in Phoenix after technical issues with computer servers prevented the Transportation Security Administration from using machines to screen the luggage.

As a result, more than 3,000 bags missed flights, said spokesman Nico Melendez of the TSA.

The baggage screening resumed late Thursday night and the systems were operational, CNN affiliate KPHO reported.

Agents are testing the systems overnight to ensure it’s ready for Friday flights, the affiliate said.

Many of the bags were stacked up in a parking lot while their owners went on to their destinations.

Before screening resumed, there were a lot of grumpy people at the airport.

“It’s frustrating, yes. I’m tired, tired as everybody else,” one passenger told CNN affiliate KNXV. “I thought if this had happened before maybe there would be a better system in place.”

Traveler Mindy McLarren told CNN affiliate KPHO that some bags were being checked by hand.

“It’s very stressful because I hope that everything that I packed is still in there after people have hand-checked it. And just that it gets there on time,” she said.

McLarren said she took things out of a bag to be checked and put them in her carry-on.

Alternative system

Before it was resolved Thursday night, the problem had gone on for hours, since 6:45 that morning, the TSA said.

Officers switched to an alternative system and brought in additional bomb-sniffing dogs as the bags kept coming. Later in the day, officials brought in tractor-trailers to take some of the bags to other airports.

Officials advised passengers to go to the airport early and to avoid checking bags when possible. Flights where leaving as scheduled.
    This was Friday. I never check bags.

Haven't travelled by air since the mid 90s, but still I hang my head in shame.
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast