Thread: Bills would require prison officials to step up preparations for 'overcrowding emergency'

Bills would require prison officials to step up preparations for 'overcrowding emergency'

Our friend Laura Ebke mentioned.

LINCOLN — As a former Girl Scout, State Sen. Laura Ebke of Crete says it’s imperative to “be prepared.”

And when it comes to Nebraska’s overcrowded prison system, that means requiring some planning by state officials to prepare for the possible forced release of hundreds of prison inmates in 2020.

“The department (of Corrections) is trying to make steps in the right direction, but I think they need support,” Ebke said.

The state’s prison system — the second-most-overcrowded system in the country — not only faces a federal civil rights lawsuit, but also a July 2020 deadline to reduce the overcrowding to 140 percent of design capacity.

Right now, the prisons are at 155 percent of capacity and hold about 1,900 more inmates than they were designed to hold. An attempt at reducing overcrowding via sentencing reform hasn’t produced results as predicted, increasing the possibility of a state-law required “overcrowding emergency” in 2020.

Ebke, who heads the legislative panel that oversees Corrections, joined some other senators Wednesday on the Judiciary Committee in expressing support for bills that would mandate more preparation by state prison officials.

Sen. Bob Krist of Omaha, who is mounting a third-party bid for governor, compared the current readiness to a student cramming, at the last minute, for an exam.
    http://www.omaha.com/news/legislatur...e1759ac2c.html

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I wonder what their prison capacity would be if they let go everybody arrested for weed - and then do another calculation for all the other drugs.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    I wonder what their prison capacity would be if they let go everybody arrested for weed - and then do another calculation for all the other drugs.
    I imagine if they excluded everything but violent crime and large amount property crime they would be under capacity .

Couldn't they greatly increase the design capacity by declaring the whole State of Nebraska a prison?
    Last edited by RonZeplin; 01-18-2018 at 06:49 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    You only show up to attack Trump when he is wrong
    Make America the Land of the Free & the Home of the Brave again