Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Campaign Opens Fire on Perry: "Al Gore's Texas Cheerleader"

Quote Originally Posted by Justinjj1 View Post

I hate the Reagan idol worship. I thought we were better than this.
    Quote Originally Posted by TexMac View Post
    The 50+ R demographic will love this. The campaign needs to get their attention and this will do it.
    All of this is true. Many people only remember campaign promises, not the reality of what happened. Many people of that era still think Reagan made government smaller, since that's what he said he'd do.
    "The American people have never reached this point of disgust with politicians before. I want to totally disassociate myself from the Reagan Administration" - Ron Paul

Look for this ad to backfire.
    Nah, this is easy to counter. I was going to explain, but I see undergroundrr did already.
    Quote Originally Posted by undergroundrr View Post
    Standing up for what Reagan represented before he became a crappy president is no different than standing up for what Thomas Jefferson or James Madison represented before they became crappy presidents. There's no compromise in this ad and no need for anyone to have a bad taste about it. Well played by the campaign. And no, I don't think Ron has to take out the fists and resort to personal attacks in the debate. He'll remain most powerful if he takes the personal high road, nails the policy discussions and lets the campaign take care of the rest.
    That's all the campaign has to say. Toning down the 'crappy president' phrase, of course.
    Last edited by sailingaway; 09-06-2011 at 08:57 AM.
    Follow my blog at http://tirelessagorist.blogspot.com/
    Current commentary from a libertarian/voluntaryist/agorist perspective.

Consistent Candidate - with Chainspell

Ron Paul Landslide by Jake Kellen - Constitution Mix

The vision of the helpful and protective state is the most pervasive and counter-productive ideology in the world today.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    You guys are judging this ad by how you, as political junkies, feel about it. 50+ unengaged couch potato Fox-watching Americans are going to have a very different reaction. And, they vote in greater numbers.

Yeah people are going to get upset because Ron later thought RR was not CONSERVATIVE ENOUGH lmao The horror!

Quote Originally Posted by Napoleon's Shadow View Post
    Do you want to win the election and PREVENT Rick Perry from becoming President?
    Yes im in this to win it. I'm all in, there's no turning back now. Do whatever the hell it is you gotta do to win it. I will go punch a baby in the face to prevent rick perry from winning!!

IF they ask him why he disassociated himself,they can have a lively talk.The thing is,he saw the light along with Reagan.His disassociation is his badge of honour.No pandering just saying it like he saw it but he was there and showing his 'tea party' bona fides 30 years ago.
    "The American people have never reached this point of disgust with politicians before. I want to totally disassociate myself from the Reagan Administration" - Ron Paul

Look for this ad to backfire.

Quote Originally Posted by TheLasersShadow View Post
    This is exactly what we needed, the Perry supporters are the dumbed down Tea Party Supporters that RP needs if he's going to win the Rep Nomination. If you study these recent poll numbers you'll see that the bulk of the Tea Party has fallen for Perry. I'd guess the majority of these supporters are so desperate to beat Obama and thinking Perry is the one to do that has totally over looked his past and real positions. They've done no research, this is why we must throw the facts in their faces. The rest of the non-Tea Reps are going for Mitt or Perry because of the "unelectable" label RP has in the media. This AD confronts both issues. I honestly don't think they went near far enough on the attack I want to see more of these type AD's as well as a "Ron Paul was RIGHT" AD showing his predictions and sending the message that RP is the only one who saw the problem and the only one who can fix it.
    This +1776...great first post!

We need to hit Perry and take him down a notch, we can't allow him to be the Tea Party choice to run against the establishment Romney. We need to run this just like Rand's campaign did against Grayson. Perry is the establishment and this ad hits right between the eyes to those that would other be duped into supporting him thinking he's a real alternative.

8. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    While I do think it is an effective ad...

... I sure hope the campaign is prepared for questions form the press about just what Ron Paul was doing in 1988, while Rick Perry was supporting someone other than a Republican.
    "We have allowed our Nation to be overtaxed, and over-regulated, and overrun by bureaucrats. The Founders would be ashamed of us for what we're putting up with."

Never try to take the "politics" out of politics.

Quote Originally Posted by Feeding the Abscess View Post

Of all the stuff to hit Perry with, I will never understand why "He didn't stand with Reagan!" was what was chosen.
    What people loved was what Reagan SAID. Most didn't keep up with what he DID.

If he would have been able to do what he talked about, he would have been one of the greatest Presidents who ever lived. Nonetheless, he did cause Americans to remember the principles upon which this country was founded and what once made us the beacon of liberty around the world. I will always love him for that.

Ron Paul is our chance to actually follow through on the rhetoric.
    Last edited by sailingaway; 09-06-2011 at 09:45 AM.
    ================
    Open Borders: A Libertarian Reappraisal or why only dumbasses and cultural marxists are for it.

Cultural Marxism: The Corruption of America

The Property Basis of Rights

Quote Originally Posted by JohnGalt23g View Post
    While I do think it is an effective ad...

... I sure hope the campaign is prepared for questions form the press about just what Ron Paul was doing in 1988, while Rick Perry was supporting someone other than a Republican.
    One year? Big deal. Bush, Sr. was total D.C. Insider Establishment. Reagan knew it and I'll bet anything that he was pressured to accept him as a V.P. Because he had promised the conservatives that he would not have anything to do with such people. He also changed majorly after he was shot.

Ron Paul has always been running on very much the same platform that Reagan did. Dr. Paul has picked up the torch and is trying to carry it on home. Where Reagan was unable to accomplish what he talked about, Ron Paul will.
    Last edited by LibertyEagle; 09-06-2011 at 08:58 AM.
    ================
    Open Borders: A Libertarian Reappraisal or why only dumbasses and cultural marxists are for it.

Cultural Marxism: The Corruption of America

The Property Basis of Rights

Quote Originally Posted by TheLasersShadow View Post
    This is exactly what we needed, the Perry supporters are the dumbed down Tea Party Supporters that RP needs if he's going to win the Rep Nomination. If you study these recent poll numbers you'll see that the bulk of the Tea Party has fallen for Perry. I'd guess the majority of these supporters are so desperate to beat Obama and thinking Perry is the one to do that has totally over looked his past and real positions. They've done no research, this is why we must throw the facts in their faces. The rest of the non-Tea Reps are going for Mitt or Perry because of the "unelectable" label RP has in the media. This AD confronts both issues. I honestly don't think they went near far enough on the attack I want to see more of these type AD's as well as a "Ron Paul was RIGHT" AD showing his predictions and sending the message that RP is the only one who saw the problem and the only one who can fix it.
    Welcome to the forums!

However, I don't think the actual tea party have fallen for Perry. I think pollsters who want to pretend that either to get Perry support or to discredit the tea party define the tea party in such a way as to come up with that result.
    Last edited by sailingaway; 09-06-2011 at 08:55 AM.
    "Integrity means having to say things that people don't want to hear & especially to say things that the regime doesn't want to hear.” -Ron Paul

"Bathtub falls and police officers kill more Americans than terrorism, yet we've been asked to sacrifice our most sacred rights for fear of falling victim to it." -Edward Snowden

I am worried this could backfire... Ron Paul ran against Reagan (in the form of his successor) the same year Gore did...
    Last edited by realtonygoodwin; 09-06-2011 at 08:55 AM.
    http://www.iycki.org

Pro-life conservative Constitutionalist libertarian.

I stand with Rand.

Quote Originally Posted by realtonygoodwin View Post
    I am worried this could backfire... Ron Paul ran against Reagan the same year Gore did...
    Because Reagan wasn't conservative enough and went back on promises. Not a problem.

How do we answer the fact that Reagan was a democrat at one time and changed many of his stances?
    "The battle, sir, is not to the strong alone; it is to the vigilant, the active, the brave."
    -- Patrick Henry (speech in the Virginia Convention, 23 March 1775)

17. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by crhoades View Post
    How do we answer the fact that Reagan was a democrat at one time and changed many of his stances?
    Perry doesn't claim to have changed his stances. He claims that he stayed the same and that all that changed was the letter after his name.

Great ad but I REALLY REALLY REALLY wish they had thrown Reagan's endorsement of Ron in there.

Quote Originally Posted by Chainspell View Post
    Yes im in this to win it. I'm all in, there's no turning back now. Do whatever the hell it is you gotta do to win it. I will go punch a baby in the face to prevent rick perry from winning!!
    I wouldn't. I'd do something else.
    "Integrity means having to say things that people don't want to hear & especially to say things that the regime doesn't want to hear.” -Ron Paul

"Bathtub falls and police officers kill more Americans than terrorism, yet we've been asked to sacrifice our most sacred rights for fear of falling victim to it." -Edward Snowden

Reagan was a Jeffersonian Democrat while Perry was a Wilsonian Democrat.
    "Everyone who believes in freedom must work diligently for sound money, fully redeemable. Nothing else is compatible with the humanitarian goals of peace and prosperity." -- Ron Paul

Brother Jonathan

Quote Originally Posted by Travlyr View Post
    Reagan was a Jeffersonian Democrat
    Really? Where'd you get that?

Easy, Reagan actually changed his stances while Rick Perry simply saw which way the wind was blowing and saw that he couldn't get anywhere being a democrat in Texas.

Quote Originally Posted by erowe1 View Post
    Really? Where'd you get that?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXBswFfh6AY
    "Everyone who believes in freedom must work diligently for sound money, fully redeemable. Nothing else is compatible with the humanitarian goals of peace and prosperity." -- Ron Paul

Brother Jonathan

Quote Originally Posted by Travlyr View Post
    I can't watch it right now. But didn't Reagan support New Deal policies? How does being a Jeffersonian Democrat fit with that? And what does being a Jeffersonian Democrat mean in the context of the 1940's anyway?

26. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by LibertyEagle View Post
    What people loved was what Reagan SAID. Most didn't keep up with what he DID.

If he would have been able to do what he talked about, he would have been one of the greatest Presidents who ever lived. Nonetheless, he did cause Americans to remember the principles upon which this country was founded and what once made us the beacon of liberty around the world. I will always love him for that.

Ron Paul is our chance to actually follow through on the rhetoric.
    You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to LibertyEagle again.
    *sigh*

I can't watch it right now. But didn't Reagan support New Deal policies? How does being a Jeffersonian Democrat fit with that? And what does being a Jeffersonian Democrat mean in the context of the 1940's anyway?
    I think the point was not what kind of Democrat Reagan was but that he had a conversion of ideas, and fought for them even while they were unpopular, whereas even Perry's rebuttal to the Democrat charge shows he was in whatever party and ascribing to whatever platform would get him elected in Texas.

Quote Originally Posted by Feeding the Abscess View Post
    I came here to post this and your other criticisms.

Dumb move to criticize another politician when you can be criticized on that exact topic. Leave Reagan out of it, and only harp on the Gore stuff, if you must.

Bunch of amateurs running the show.
    Except that they won't criticize Paul because that would make him more credible. You don't criticize the guy running third.
    Last edited by sailingaway; 09-06-2011 at 09:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sailingaway View Post
    I think the point was not what kind of Democrat Reagan was but that he had a conversion of ideas
    I don't see how calling Reagan a Jeffersonian Democrat makes that point.

I don't see how calling Reagan a Jeffersonian Democrat makes that point.
    I'm not ascribing to nor caring what kind of a Democrat Reagan was, that was my point. The point was his change was sincere, at the time he changed.

Quote Originally Posted by sailingaway View Post
    I'm not ascribing to nor caring what kind of a Democrat Reagan was, that was my point. The point was his change was sincere, at the time he changed.
    OK. But the exchange you replied to was my asking Trav about his calling Reagan a Jeffersonian Democrat.

For those worried about "what RP was doing in 88", all he has to do is remind people of "read my lips, no new taxes".

When you have the time to watch this speech by Ronald Reagan compare what he says with Jefferson's policies vs. Wilson's policies.

Brother Jonathan

35. Remove this section of ads by registering.
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast