Thread: Much as I hate cities NY ends qualified immunity

Much as I hate cities NY ends qualified immunity

They're doing the right thing even if it's for the wrong reason.

New York City ends qualified immunity for police officers

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/nyc...olice-officers

The New York City Council moved to end qualified immunity for police officers Thursday, making it the first big city in the nation to do so.

The measure passed as part of a broader overhaul of police practices.

The legal doctrine has for decades protected officers from lawsuits alleging misconduct against those they’re arresting, unless the officer had violated a clearly established constitutional right.

Qualified immunity first came under scrutiny during the racial injustice and police brutality protests that roiled the nation in the light of George Floyd’s death.

The city council said in a statement the bill would protect New Yorkers against unreasonable search and seizures and against excessive force, in addition to banning qualified immunity. The Big Apple joins two states, Colorado and Connecticut, in curbing the immunity defense.

The bill now goes to the desk of Mayor Bill de Blasio, who is expected to sign it.

At the same time, city lawmakers approved de Blasio’s plan to spend $72 million to improve police practices and accountability. This came after the city moved to divert $1 billion from the police budget last summer.

Another provision gives the Civilian Complaint Review Board, which investigates police misconduct, resources to investigate racial bias in policing, and it requires police to collect data on traffic stops, including the race of people apprehended.

Another resolution the council passed requires newly hired cops to live in New York City limits.

New York City Council Speaker Corey Johnson said qualified immunity was "rooted in our nation's history of systemic racism" and "should never have been allowed.

Opponents of the bill said it might discourage some from getting into law enforcement. "Ending qualified immunity will prevent the best young men and women in our city from joining the police force," Councilman Robert F. Holden said as he voted no, according to the New York Times.

"New Yorkers are getting shot, and police officers are on the streets day and night, trying to stop the bloodshed," Patrick Lynch, president of the Police Benevolent Association, said in a statement, adding that the new bill would "chill the operations of law enforcement."

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Good.

Cops should have to make the choice of carrying individual insurance just like the rest of us arms bearers.

I am guessing there is still loophole and this is mostly just for appearances.

I would have very sincere doubts that NYC of all places will hold Officers to the same standard as everyone else.
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Donald Trump / Crenshaw 2024!!!!

My pronouns are he/him/his

Same should be for Injuns like @oyarde no qualified immunity
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

Quote Originally Posted by Danke View Post
    Same should be for Injuns like @oyarde no qualified immunity
    As Great Chief I give myself qualified immunity .
    Do something Danke

Good for them!
    9/11 Thermate experiments

Winston Churchhill on why the U.S. should have stayed OUT of World War I

"I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

"We as a country have lost faith and confidence in freedom." -- Ron Paul

"It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.