Thread: 1 in 1000 yr. historic rainfall event in the Carolinas. Stay safe!

1 in 1000 yr. historic rainfall event in the Carolinas. Stay safe!

After a week of soaking rains....

Still, Georgia, the Carolinas and Virginia appear in line to be soaked by a separate storm pulling tropical air into the region. Between 10 and 15 inches of rain has been forecast over a 72-hour period from Friday through Sunday — with as much as 20 inches in some places. Parts of Maryland, Delaware and New Jersey are also expected to be drenched this weekend.
    http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/...-power-n436661

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I'm right in its path, but I'm not worried. Weathermen are as honest as politicians.

Quote Originally Posted by RJB View Post
    I'm right in its path, but I'm not worried. Weathermen are as honest as politicians.
    Don't know where you are at. I'm in the Piedmont. We've had rain everyday since last Thurs. Tomorrows supposed to dump 5"-6". Normally no huge deal but the ground is saturated. I expect some trees coming down from loose soil, power outages and some flash flooding.

Climate change.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    Don't know where you are at. I'm in the Piedmont. We've had rain everyday since last Thurs. Tomorrows supposed to dump 5"-6". Normally no huge deal but the ground is saturated. I expect some trees coming down from loose soil, power outages and some flash flooding.
    Yeah, I was talking $#@!... We've been getting tons of rain already. I was supposed to teach outdoors/survival skills at a campout this weekend. They moved it indoors. Teaching outdoors skills under florescent lights sucks but it beats teaching it under rain, I guess.

Yea I guess mother nature is trying to clean up the area that Duke power has been allowed to pollute. My house in NC is on a road that is washed out fortunately there are a couple people with 4 wheel drive that are able to make beer a liquor runs

Yeah, I was talking $#@!... We've been getting tons of rain already. I was supposed to teach outdoors/survival skills at a campout this weekend. They moved it indoors. Teaching outdoors skills under florescent lights sucks but it beats teaching it under rain, I guess.
    Well, can't change the weather.. I don't know what kind of skills you are teaching but this kind of weather doesn't sound like the best sort of learning atmosphere. Although it doesn't have to be dangerous if you know what you are doing. It's probably not fun for most people to go out in that sort of weather.

(Didn't they receive similar amounts of rain in Japan a month or so ago ? IIRC several people died.)
    "I am a bird"

It's been raining for a few days here. After doing a lot of yard work this summer, I'm enjoying having an excuse to putz around in the house.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Perfect opportunity!

1- 50# backpack and a .22

See ya in a few days..

Quote Originally Posted by luctor-et-emergo View Post

(Didn't they receive similar amounts of rain in Japan a month or so ago ? IIRC several people died.)
    If you stay out of the floodplains, you'll be fine. Unless your highground becomes a mudslide of course.

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    Perfect opportunity!

1- 50# backpack and a .22

See ya in a few days..
    Let's hang out, man!

I spent a bunch of time close to the NC SC coastal border and I remember the sand sucked up the rain like it was nothing. Same rain here in NV would be a disater.
    "Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it; no constitution, no law, no court can even do much to help it."
    James Madison

"It does not take a majority to prevail ... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men." - Samuel Adams

Μολὼν λάβε
    Dum Spiro, Pugno
    Tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito

Quote Originally Posted by puppetmaster View Post
    I spent a bunch of time close to the NC SC coastal border and I remember the sand sucked up the rain like it was nothing. Same rain here in NV would be a disater.
    It'll be crazy in the Appalachian Mountains. We've had light rain and the roads are already having trouble draining without the heavier stuff.

I tend to get the winter blues with too much rain and overcast like the last week. However going through my B.O.B. and primitive weaponry for the class combined with the prediction for the 1 in a thousand year storm it all has my system amped up. I'm not looking forward for tragedy, just ready for whatever comes. As crazy as it sounds, I'd love to hit the trail this weekend but can't. So my posting may be erratic over the next few days.

It'll be crazy in the Appalachian Mountains. We've had light rain and the roads are already having trouble draining without the heavier stuff.

I tend to get the winter blues with too much rain and overcast like the last week. However going through my B.O.B. and primitive weaponry for the class combined with the prediction for the 1 in a thousand year storm it all has my system amped up. I'm not looking forward for tragedy, just ready for whatever comes. As crazy as it sounds, I'd love to hit the trail this weekend but can't. So my posting may be erratic over the next few days.
    hope it turns out exciting!
    "Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it; no constitution, no law, no court can even do much to help it."
    James Madison

"It does not take a majority to prevail ... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men." - Samuel Adams

Μολὼν λάβε
    Dum Spiro, Pugno
    Tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito

Supporting Member
    North Carolina

Yeah, this rain is not helping the guys trying to get corn picked.