Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 LastLast

Thread: Back in the wind.

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    Dindonuffin.......
    when the guy told him "pull over to the side" you could see it register on his face that it was his opportunity to skip out. the motorcycle guy must have registerd it too since he immediately changed his mind, told him to stay and called the cops.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    Dindonuffin.......
    Ha ha ha ha
    "The Patriarch"

4. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Can't believe he didn't get more seriously hurt.

Me, personally, you'd never catch me riding in the lane he was in.

No escape route at all.

Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    when the guy told him "pull over to the side" you could see it register on his face that it was his opportunity to skip out. the motorcycle guy must have registerd it too since he immediately changed his mind, told him to stay and called the cops.
    Pretty level headed after what just happened to him.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    Pretty level headed after what just happened to him.
    So would you have called the cops if you were the motorcycle guy?

Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    So would you have called the cops if you were the motorcycle guy?
    I knew somebody would bring that up.

This was CA right?

I think you would leave yourself open to "leaving the scene" felony charge if you did not.

I meant he was level headed through the whole confrontation...obviously in pain and shock but still managed.

My constant admonition to "never call cops" still applies...if at all possible, if not legally required, I would not have.

Or I would have tried to avoid it.

I realize that in some cases there is no choice, maybe "never voluntarily call the cops" is more accurate.

Looking at another one.

Looking at another one.

I'm pretty happy with mine, but it's that time of year to start looking for good deals. Also, I would like another dual sport to go along with a cruiser.
    "The Patriarch"

Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    I'm pretty happy with mine, but it's that time of year to start looking for good deals
    Yeah, that's what I was thinking.

Guy wants $8,000 for that one.
    Another mark of a tyrant is that he likes foreigners better than citizens, and lives with them and invites them to his table; for the one are enemies, but the Others enter into no rivalry with him. - Aristotle's Politics Book 5 Part 11

Laconia Bike Week 2018.

Weather was gorgeous.

This is the top of the hill looking down on the town.

13. Remove this section of ads by registering.

When AF pulls into foreign ports, his buddies come to greet him.

http://digg.com/video/naked-man-motorcycle

Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

Got the bike out and serviced for the year...but the weather has been for $#@!...cold and rain.

Got a few hours in two weeks ago then had to go to work.
    Another mark of a tyrant is that he likes foreigners better than citizens, and lives with them and invites them to his table; for the one are enemies, but the Others enter into no rivalry with him. - Aristotle's Politics Book 5 Part 11

Cycle Therapy

https://www.ericpetersautos.com/2019...cycle-therapy/

By eric - June 3, 2019

There are sound, practical reasons for owning a motorcycle that transcend fantastic gas mileage and low buy-in cost.

I speak of the therapeutic aspects of motorcycle ownership.

Knowing you have one; that it’s out in the garage – ready to go whenever you are.

Just looking at it – even if you can’t ride it today.

Because there is always tomorrow.

The “Dr.” is always in. No need to make an appointment. Whenever you feel the need, he is there, waiting and ready – maybe even in your TV room. So long as you remembered to keep the trickle charger hooked up – and didn’t forget the fuel stabilizer in the tank. Roll it around the room once a week or so, to keep the tires from flat-spotting.

When you do get to ride, your worries recede . . . because they have to.

A bike is not like a car – especially modern cars, which practically beg you to fall asleep at the wheel and then nag you for doing it.

On a bike, your presence – of mind and body – is required.

It is up to you to keep it upright. If you don’t, it won’t. There is no Lane Keep Assist or Automated Emergency Braking. The only assistant along for the ride is . . . you.

It is your job to keep track of what gear you’re in – and to operate the clutch. To be smooth. If you forget to downshift when downshifting is called for, the engine will bog and you’ll feel stupid. If you forget to pull in the clutch as you roll to a stop, the engine will stall – and you’ll look stupid.

Bikes are not for the stupid. Not for very long, at least.

Some bikes have kick starters. Few things in life are more satisfying than physically starting an engine by a well-choreographed forceful downstomp.

Buttons are for people who’ve fallen – and can’t get up.

Since you have no air bags and there are lots of gadget-addled people in cars not paying much attention ton anything going on outside their cars, you grok the importance of paying attention to them.

Which keeps your attention lit on the scene at hand – and not what went down at work or what is waiting for you at home. Few things keep you in the moment like a bike does. It is a kind of time machine that makes time stand still. There is no past or future. Just right now.

For as long as the ride lasts.

It is a taste of the psychological ease our early ancestors must have enjoyed on those days when the sun was warm and their bellies full and everything seemed well.

And was.

There is a secondary therapeutic aspect: Wrenching.

Bikes, most of them, are still primarily mechanical things – tangible things. Not cell phones that roll. Their machinery is also largely accessible; you can lay your hands on just about anything. The engine – all of it – is literally right in front of you. Not buried under a plastic shroud. Not crammed up against a firewall. You can sit beside it, examine it from almost any angle.

It can actually be fun to change the oil, replace the spark plugs or do a brake job – which jobs generally don’t require jacking up anything and (usually) no special tools. The act is a kind of communion which creates an emotional bond between man and machine. There is the immense satisfaction which comes from doing it yourself – which satisfaction is denied to owners of cars whose complexity and impossibly inaccessible packaging and necessity for specialized tools and “diagnostic” equipment has made them forbidding, remote and as difficult to bond with as a wire-mesh wet nurse.

Even newer bikes with fuel injection are easy to deal with by dint of the fact that you can get to the injectors without disassembling a third of the engine. And the FI is still relatively simple throttle body or port injection, not direct injection as in almost all new cars.

Bikes are still what cars would have been had “the government” – busybodies and control freaks with badges and guns – stayed out of the car business. Of course, “the government” has decided to get into the bike business, too – and the new stuff is being encrusted with the bad stuff which has ruined cars as other than Transportation Modules.

But the good news is this creeping rot only began a few years ago – so you don’t have to go back 20-plus years to avoid it, as is the case with cars.

Go back to the early 2000s and before and you’ll be dealing with carburetors – and no electronic controls at all. Just a few electronic devices – such as the battery/generator and ignition system.

All of them under your control.

The bike is your co-conspirator, not your nanny. It has no event data recorder; no Intelligent Speed Limit Assist. It does not pester you with annoying buzzers for doing something a bureaucrat who imagines himself to be your parent or – worse – your owner – thinks you ought not to do. As all modern cars do.

It is as autonomous a vehicle as ever existed.

Get one – and ride it – while you still can.

These Russian off-roaders have kinda piqued my interest. Can be kicked into 2-wheel drive (rear motorcycle and side-car wheels) and even has a reverse.

Engine and Transmission

Displacement, cc: 749

Engine type: OHV air cooled 2 cylinder 4 stroke “boxer” (flat twin)

Valve per cylinder: 2

Bore and stroke (mm x mm): 78 x 78

Max output (hp): 41 @ 5500 rpm

Max torque (ft-lbs): 42 @ 4300 rpm

Compression: 8.6:1

Fuel system: Throttle body EFI

Starting: Electric & Kickstart

Clutch Double-disc dry

Transmission type: Manual

Speeds: 4 forward 1 reverse

Primary drive (rear wheel): Driveshaft

Final drive ratio: 4.62

Engageable sidecar wheel drive: Yes, driveshaft

Misc.

Fuel grade: 91 Octane, unleaded

Fuel tank capacity, gallons: 5.0

Reserve, gallons: app. 1

Estimated fuel economy, mpg: 31-37

Estimated range, miles: 155-185

Recommended max cruising speed, mph: 70

Max permissible weight, lbs:1325

Trunk volume, cubic ft.: 2.9

@phill4paul

Did you see that thread on Janus motorcycles I posted a few weeks back?

22. Remove this section of ads by registering.

I'm pretty happy with mine, but it's that time of year to start looking for good deals. Also, I would like another dual sport to go along with a cruiser.
    Got a dual sport, older one. 83 xt 550. Put it on a carrier on the back of the motorhome. Finally got the old lady on the back of one of my bikes, lol. Perfect for putting around on forest service roads when you're camping.
    "The Patriarch"

Got a dual sport, older one. 83 xt 550. Put it on a carrier on the back of the motorhome. Finally got the old lady on the back of one of my bikes, lol. Perfect for putting around on forest service roads when you're camping.
    Mrs AF still refuses...nothing new there.

Enjoy, and good to see you around.

@phill4paul

Did you see that thread on Janus motorcycles I posted a few weeks back?

Sure did. I was trying to find it to post the Ural in but for some reason couldn't and then up popped this bike thread so....
    And yeah I thought of that Indiana Jones scene, but if I were to get one I'd have to trick it out as an Deutsches Afrikakorps even though it ain't a BMW.

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    Sure did. I was trying to find it to post the Ural in but for some reason couldn't and then up popped this bike thread so....
    And yeah I thought of that Indiana Jones scene, but if I were to get one I'd have to trick it out as an Deutsches Afrikakorps even though it ain't a BMW.

Oh yes, do that!

Don't need a weather man to know which way the wind blows

Absolutely beautiful day here today.

Trimmed back a bunch of trees then rode to get the sawdust and chips off.

Mid 70s, cool N wind blowing.

Life is good.

My daughter's new ride.

2001 Guzooki GZ250.

Perfect little lite-weight cruiser for her to start on.

31. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    My daughter's new ride.

2001 Guzooki GZ250.

Perfect little lite-weight cruiser for her to start on.

My daughter bought a new 883, lol, I'm still on the Shadow.
    "The Patriarch"

Get much riding in AF? My Shadow only made it out about 7 or 8 times, but I rode the hell out of that xt 550, lol. Line riding is way easier on a dual sport.
    "The Patriarch"

Get much riding in AF? My Shadow only made it out about 7 or 8 times, but I rode the hell out of that xt 550, lol. Line riding is way easier on a dual sport.
    Last few weeks were great, we both got in over a thousand miles...NH in the fall.

I'm back on the vessel now...probably will be over for the year by the time I get back.

Last few weeks were great, we both got in over a thousand miles...NH in the fall.

I'm back on the vessel now...probably will be over for the year by the time I get back.
    Nice, glad you some in.
    "The Patriarch"

Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 LastLast