Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: TX-Half of Texas wind power, over 12k megawatts offline due to cold weather, blackouts result

Quote Originally Posted by Matt4Liberty View Post
    He is wrong. When you pay the power company for electricity, they owe you electricity. It's the power company's responsibility to provide it, and setup a reliable distribution network.
    And I will bet that people that have a Battery Backup, (Powerwall), or some other Private power generation, are not the ones complaining.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    During a news conference Tuesday, representatives from ERCOT said there were 45,000 megawatts offline. Of that, 15,000 megawatts were wind and 30,000 were gas and coal.
    https://www.usatoday.com/in-depth/ne...rk/6764764002/
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    Pinochet is the model
    Liberty preserving authoritarianism.
    Enforced internal open borders was one of the worst elements of the Constitution.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptUSA View Post
    You pay for the distribution fees as part of the electricity that you already consumed. In other words, they bill you for what you enjoyed - including fees to maintain the system that provided it to you.

I understand your point, but you phrased it poorly. They don't "owe" you electricity. You use it and then they bill you for it. When the grid goes down, you're not paying for something that you're not getting.

That being said, the grid in the US is extremely reliable. It will never be 100%. There will always be hiccups in distribution, but a free market would resolve those quickly. In this case, the major issues are not at the distribution level, but the supply level. Demand rapidly increased and there were constraints on supply. If you don't allow the price to fluctuate beyond the government-imposed caps, then shortages will happen.
    A free market absolutely would solve the issue. Unfortunately that's not allowed. Even if you had the resources, you are not allowed to open up CaptUSA Edison tommorow and compete. Unfortunately, these monopolies are given their monopoly status for the "greater good". This social contract that was made on our behalf gives us a monopoly that can charge whatever it wants. In exchange, they're supposed to provide a reliable electrical grid that can handle an occasional cold spell. They can't tommorow decide to turn off your power and use their generating capacity to mine bitcoin for example. It doesn't matter that you didn't pay for tommorow's energy use yet. They absolutely owe you that power because you've been paying them to keep their power generation going. If I turn off my main breaker today and leave it off, I will still have to pay about $25 because they still charge you for the privilege of being able to sell you electricity.

This time it's a supply issue caused by green energy requirements. This resulted in a network that couldn't handle a cold spell. Usually, it's power lines on old wood poles falling down. At the end of the day it doesn't matter. The responsibility falls on them. That's the deal they made.

6. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Nothing to see here says the Biden admin....

“There have been some inaccurate accusations out there,” said Psaki, “That it was, the uh, that suggested, that, uh, renewables caused the failures, in, uh, Texas’s power grid.”

“Actually, numerous reports have actually shown the contrary, that it was failures in coal and natural gas that contributed to the state’s power shortages.”
    https://nationalfile.com/blatant-lie...-wind-turbines

nobody asked for your MSM facts.
    pcosmar's lie : There are more votes than registered Voters..

Quote Originally Posted by PRB View Post
    The big chunk of wind power that dropped offline first, started the cascade.

Loss of ten percent of grid supply when running at 100 percent capacity is enough to cause downstream cut outs and overloads of supply from all sources as the automated computerized system tries to save itself.

Much has been made of the price controls at the grid distribution level and they have a valid point.

I will place some of the blame on computer controls of critical systems that override or shut down based on "conservative" engineering profiles that are programmed into the operating system.

Just like a "limp home" feature in a modern computerized car, maybe it's my choice and my decision to decide if I want to fry this son of a bitch in an attempt to get out of a jam, rather than be left limp and helpless because some nerd programmed an auto shut down at 220 degrees of coolant temp.

And if you think this is bad, just wait, as states and towns all across the country continue to ban natural gas service for home heating and cooking and the feds re-instate the bans on new woodstoves and fireplaces that Trump delayed and 100 million EVs start drawing 240V three phase current night and day to keep charged up.
    Last edited by Anti Federalist; 02-19-2021 at 12:01 AM.
    Another mark of a tyrant is that he likes foreigners better than citizens, and lives with them and invites them to his table; for the one are enemies, but the Others enter into no rivalry with him. - Aristotle's Politics Book 5 Part 11

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    The big chunk of wind power that dropped offline first, started the cascade.

Loss of ten percent of grid supply when running at 100 percent capacity is enough to cause downstream cut outs and overloads of supply from all sources as the automated computerized system tries to save itself.

Much has been made of the price controls at the grid distribution level and they have a valid point.

I will place some of the blame on computer controls of critical systems that override or shut down based on "conservative" engineering profiles that are programmed into the operating system.

Just like a "limp home" feature in a modern computerized car, maybe it's my choice and my decision to decide if I want to fry this son of a bitch in an attempt to get out of a jam, rather than be left limp and helpless because some nerd programmed an auto shut down at 220 degrees of coolant temp.

And if you think this is bad, just wait, as states and towns all across the country continue to ban natural gas service for home heating and cooking and the feds re-instate the bans on new woodstoves and fireplaces that Trump delayed and 100 million EVs start drawing 240V three phase current night and day to keep charged up.

"Loss of ten percent of grid supply when running at 100 percent capacity is enough to cause downstream cut outs and overloads of supply from all sources as the automated computerized system tries to save itself."

So your solution is to not have wind at all, so you'll run out of power sooner???

So your solution is to not have wind at all, so you'll run out of power sooner???
    Of course.

It's ridiculous on the face of it, given the varying properties of wind speed alone to rely on wind power as key component of the grid supply, as this fiasco clearly demonstrates.

Not only that but the units themselves are scar on the land and an eyesore.
    Another mark of a tyrant is that he likes foreigners better than citizens, and lives with them and invites them to his table; for the one are enemies, but the Others enter into no rivalry with him. - Aristotle's Politics Book 5 Part 11

If energy can't be stored then it's not reliable energy.

From Enron to Ercot

Gov’t Abbot is live on TV here in TX and he’s slamming Ercot. 2 million power has been restored as of today, but > 300k are still without power.

Also, the Board Members of Encron DO NOT even live in TX and they were telling us how to live?!

There will be a lot of investigations into this. I wonder if these Board Members are registered liberals.

http://www.nbcdfw.com/investigations...utage/2555819/

Update: 5 ERCOT board members don’t
    live in Texas, one from Canada
    https://www.investmentwatchblog.com/...nron-to-ercot/
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

$18.00 jumps to $900.00 to charge your Tesla in Tx.

https://www.bitchute.com/video/cOaeMlUvuGA/

15. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    MSM rarely reports facts in context, and this was just another time as shown by AF.

See you in a few weeks.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

"Loss of ten percent of grid supply when running at 100 percent capacity is enough to cause downstream cut outs and overloads of supply from all sources as the automated computerized system tries to save itself."

Wow, you really are a leftist. Anybody on the right would be smart enough to know that the capacity would have been greater for these others energy sources had they not been reliant on wind.

That's like saying, "So you want to get rid of the welfare state so poor people die sooner?"

Nooo..... we want to get rid of welfare state so poor people can learn to be self sufficient, get jobs and learn more skills to become more valuable in the marketplace.
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    If energy can't be stored then it's not reliable energy.
    Interesting thought.
    https://www.nbcnews.com/tech/innovat...teries-n178741

and if your generator makes more power than you use immediately it is lost,, unless it is stored.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

It's all about Freedom

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    Wow, you really are a leftist. Anybody on the right would be smart enough to know that the capacity would have been greater for these others energy sources had they not been reliant on wind.

Uhhh, no, that's not how it works. there's no law that stops you from making more and selling more and selling it to other states. Reliance is completely due to shortage of supply or too much demand, there's no legal or artificial barrier. nobody stopped anybody from making more carbon emitting energy sources should they decide they wanted to.

Quote Originally Posted by pcosmar View Post
    Interesting thought.

and if your generator makes more power than you use immediately it is lost,, unless it is stored.
    stored or sent to somewhere else to use.

Uhhh, no, that's not how it works. there's no law that stops you from making more and selling more and selling it to other states. Reliance is completely due to shortage of supply or too much demand, there's no legal or artificial barrier. nobody stopped anybody from making more carbon emitting energy sources should they decide they wanted to.
    What?

The Biden administration has extended the ban on all new drilling lease contracts on federal lands, including offshore waters, where a huge portion is produced.

I am now out of work because of that ban.

They made it clear they were going to do this.

No sane and responsible CEO would invest their shareholder's money into fossil fuel electrical generation with an administration like that in power or possibly coming into power.

stored or sent to somewhere else to use.
    Can't go someplace else,, Use it or waste what you don't use..

or Store it.. and that takes Batteries,,Super-capacitors..or a combination thereof.
    Ron Paul 2004

It's all about Freedom

You have NO idea what you're talking about. You should probably gracefully bow out of the thread, entirely.
    "And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works." - Bastiat

"It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." - Voltaire

24. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Uhhh, no, that's not how it works.
    Ask a high school economics teacher, that is actually how it works.

I think I'll call in a welfare check on @TheTexan to make sure he is safe.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

Quote Originally Posted by pcosmar View Post
    Interesting thought.

Fossil fuel generators can spool up or down depending on the power requirements, hydro too and nukes.

It's only the darlings of the leftistists that don't have that ability.

Manufacturing storage vessels and wind/solar generators burns many more electrons than just using the power for end users.

Seems like make-work jobs to assuage the greenies flights of fancy.

Oil and gas run the world. Green energy only works in Fairyland.
    "Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration is minding my own business."

Calvin Coolidge

Ask a high school economics teacher, that is actually how it works.
    There's literally no law that's stopping other sources from making more.

Guys! Here's the best part!

GOD I'm so jealous of these bills!
    https://nypost.com/2021/02/19/homeow...-winter-storm/

There's literally no law that's stopping other sources from making more.
    If it was a government law that I was referring to, then maybe I would have said "ask a political science teacher". Although I would bet there's a law somewhere, that has nothing to do with what I said.

I said ask an economics teacher.

We are talking about market forces.. aka economic laws. And you, being on the left, your brain is unable to comprehend that type of logic.

If you go into a city that has a lot of apple production already, and you show up with an apple cart, you are going to have to lower your prices to compete.
    Last edited by dannno; 02-20-2021 at 04:04 AM.

Turns out the majority of our electrical transformers are built in China.. and could easily contain backdoor systems.

https://twitter.com/PokerPolitics/st...91960477933569

33. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by enhanced_deficit View Post
    Surprised that TX had started using wind mills for electric, that kinda pro-environment, anti-climate change stuff usually embraced by liberal and progressives states like CA. TX is home of many oil wells and harcore conservatives like Ted Cruz, CUFI, Cowboys for J ... even their GOP chair still was some Iraq war SWC.
    Mind boggling.

All that green $#@! is subsidized, so it costs a company next to nothing to build it, and gets to keep the revenue produced. Distort the free market and bad things will tend to happen.
    Out of every one hundred men they send us, ten should not even be here. Eighty will do nothing but serve as targets for the enemy. Nine are real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, upon them depends our success in battle. But one, ah the one, he is a real warrior, and he will bring the others back from battle alive.

Duty is the most sublime word in the English language. Do your duty in all things. You can not do more than your duty. You should never wish to do less than your duty.

If you go into a city that has a lot of apple production already, and you show up with an apple cart, you are going to have to lower your prices to compete.
    yep, which is not preventing you from doing it, so you can't blame the people who got there first, you can sell your apples to other places while the demand is low, then sell them to the currently saturated market when the demand increases in a storm. So either way, it's not wind's fault that nobody wanted to provide more electricity.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast