Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 'Weight-ism'

While it is well known that hyperthyroidism leads to weight loss, and hypothyroidism is associated with weight gain, there has been an increasing focus on the relationship between thyroid function and body weight in recent years. A moderate elevation of TSH concentrations, which is associated with triiodothyronine (T3) values in or slightly above the upper normal range, is frequently found in obese humans. These thyroid hormone alterations in obesity seem rather a consequence than a cause of obesity since weight loss leads to a normalization of elevated thyroid hormone levels. The underlying pathways are not fully understood. White adipose tissue, the largest energy store in the body, actively produces various hormones, cytokines, and chemokines, which together exert important roles in homeostasis and also in thyroid hormone regulation. The adipokine leptin seems to be the most promising link between body weight and TSH levels since leptin stimulates the hypothalamic–pituitary–thyroid axis.

More at link: http://www.endocrine-abstracts.org/e...a0029S59.1.htm

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Interesting. T3 is not the hormone the body needs, but it's the necessary building block--it reacts with iodine to create T4.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    You only want the freedoms that will undermine the nation and lead to the destruction of liberty.

I'm working as a long haul truck driver and its hard to lose weight driving most of the day. Hoping I can find another job and quit trucking.

Banned

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Wooden Indian View Post
    While the average fat girl isn't my cup of tea, I find willfully ignorant, slow-witted, delusional douchnozzels to be far... far worse.

Just sayin'.
    Hey, you can just outright call me a willfully ignorant, slow-witted, delusional douchnozzel. It will hurt my feelings just the same. I mean, clearly, I came here to earn the adoration of the likes of you.

These thyroid hormone alterations in obesity seem rather a consequence than a cause of obesity
    Pretty obvious, isn't it?
    It's like Type II diabetes. Obviously the product of a poor diet and lack of exercise.

Quote Originally Posted by videodrome
    I'm working as a long haul truck driver and its hard to lose weight driving most of the day. Hoping I can find another job and quit trucking.
    That would suck. Gotta eat and drink just to stay entertained.

6. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by UWDude View Post
    Pretty obvious, isn't it?
    It's like Type II diabetes. Obviously the product of a poor diet and lack of exercise.
    You read one sentence which is careful to draw no conclusions at all, and blithely overturn ninety years of medical practice. And do it all with no degree, no idea what these enzymes look like through a microscope, and without ever meeting anyone with a hypoactive thyroid. Indeed, while still unclear on the difference between hyperthyroidism and hypothyroidism.

You are still a liberal. You're still arrogant enough to believe every random thought that pops up half formed in your head is more brilliant than nearly a century of real, hard-won experience, just like the most reckless progressive.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Rogers
    A liberal is a fellow who prefers his own way of doing things over generations who he knows know better than he does.
    And you wonder why you get called names. If you don't like it, you could always rejoin your kind at DU.
    Last edited by acptulsa; 08-13-2017 at 08:37 PM.
    You only want the freedoms that will undermine the nation and lead to the destruction of liberty.

Banned

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by acptulsa View Post
    And you wonder why you get called names.
    No I don't.
    If you don't like it,
    I always consider the source.

You and Ender and Wooden Indian and Revolution 3-0... pffaw. Caw all you want, old crows. I *really* don't care.

Do you notice, I never care what you say about me, I just hate your guys' dishonesty and straw-men? I wish you would just outright say how you felt about issues, instead of trying cheeseball persuasive rhetoric which dances around your true opinions, lying, and of course, all four of you trolls' favorite tactic, the strawman.
    Last edited by UWDude; 08-13-2017 at 08:44 PM.

Hardly surprising. Progs seldom do care how foolish they look.

I would think that for optimum health if a person's metabolism has slowed down for any reason, they should consume less calories.

I think there is no better cure for the human body than proper eating and a healthy weight.

Anything that we deem as important can be achieved.

Banned

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by acptulsa View Post
    Hardly surprising. Progs seldom do care how foolish they look.
    Oh noes!!! Please stop!! I am literally shaking now.

Banned

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Schifference View Post
    I would think that for optimum health if a person's metabolism has slowed down for any reason, they should consume less calories.

I think there is no better cure for the human body than proper eating and a healthy weight.
    Sleep and exercise are good too.
    I mean, you can walk to the Burger King instead of driving. It is only a half mile.

Oh noes!!! Please stop!! I am literally shaking now.
    You have Parkinson's. Change your diet and you'll be fine. Cures everything, even bullet wounds. Try walking somewhere besides Burger King next time.

No charge for the unlicensed diagnosis.
    Last edited by acptulsa; 08-13-2017 at 09:31 PM.

No I don't.

I always consider the source.

You and Ender and Wooden Indian and Revolution 3-0... pffaw. Caw all you want, old crows. I *really* don't care.

Do you notice, I never care what you say about me, I just hate your guys' dishonesty and straw-men? I wish you would just outright say how you felt about issues, instead of trying cheeseball persuasive rhetoric which dances around your true opinions, lying, and of course, all four of you trolls' favorite tactic, the strawman.
    Old crow? I'm probably half your age.

Plus, it's pretty obvious you know NOTHING about health.

AND why don't you stop the name calling? After all, people always call others what they are themselves.
    There is no spoon.

15. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123