Thread: Latest "Fight of the Century": Mayweather vs McGregor

Latest "Fight of the Century": Mayweather vs McGregor

Huge amounts of money driving the fight. Could mean $100 million each. Undefeated boxer vs MMA champ.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/leighst.../#ff367f858c2b

Another "Fight Of The Century" is coming up with the announcement that unbeaten boxer Floyd Mayweather and UFC lightweight Champion Conor McGregor will box on August 26 at the T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas. McGregor started talking about his desire to fight Mayweather on social media some months ago and Mayweather advisor Al Hayman and UFC President Dana White reached accord today. This may well be the highest grossing boxing event ever, but the match itself will probably be quite one-sided.

Fans love novelty and spectacle. There has long been speculation as to what would happen if a traditional boxer fought with a mixed martial arts fighter. When female tennis player Billie Jean King took on aging male player Bobby Riggs it created a national male v. female sensation. Dog bites man is not a story, man bites dog is. The publicity and hype surrounding this event will be enormous. Showtime holds the pay-per-view rights and it is possible that each fighter could take home as much as $100 million.

Both of these fighters are gifted promoters with color and flair. They have both produced controversial quotes which can stir up public interest. The first press conference with both fighters present may be an exciting conflict in and of itself.

Both boxing and mixed martial arts have dedicated followers who think that their sport is the ultimate test of athletic prowess and have a healthy disrespect for the other sport. This fight has all the makings of a cattle rancher versus sheepherder feud.

This is a boxing match, with a straight boxing format. Floyd Mayweather has a career record of 49-0. He is a master of pugilistic arts and rarely gets hit hard. He has never lost against very talented opponents. He is considered the greatest boxer of his generation and among the best of all time. McGregor is at the top of his profession, but he has never boxed before, either at the amateur or professional level. He has only ten weeks to train and prepare for this match. It would take years to master straight boxing in a boxing format. He can't grab, kick or do any of the other skills that allow him to prevail in his sport.

Mayweather and McGregor are very likely to promote their way into the biggest purse of all time, but the match itself promises to be a one-way mismatch for Mayweather on points.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I don't know if Conor McGregor is an idiot or a genius for taking this fight.
    NeoReactionary. American High Tory.

The counter-revolution will not be televised.

If this actually happens, Connor will lose. The bolded parts in the article nail it. If CM wants a concussion, this is a sure way to get one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

Quote Originally Posted by ThePaleoLibertarian View Post
    I don't know if Conor McGregor is an idiot or a genius for taking this fight.
    Take home a 100million for a single fight? with big padded gloves? I certainly wouldn't go with idiot.

Mayweather pisses me off. Connor is much tougher and stronger than Mayweather. Puncher's chance... I'm putting my money on Connor. Plus it HAS to get into Mayweather's head that he KNOWS that Connor would KILL him if it were an actual fight and not a tickling contest.
    There are only two things we should fight for. One is the defense of our homes and the other is the Bill of Rights. War for any other reason is simply a racket.
    -Major General Smedley Butler, USMC,
    Two-Time Congressional Medal of Honor Winner
    Author of, War is a Racket!

It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours.
    - Diogenes of Sinope

Quote Originally Posted by jllundqu View Post
    Mayweather pisses me off. Connor is much tougher and stronger than Mayweather. Puncher's chance... I'm putting my money on Connor. Plus it HAS to get into Mayweather's head that he KNOWS that Connor would KILL him if it were an actual fight and not a tickling contest.
    I'd wager they have a clause somewhere that guarantees a followup MMA fight after this one... why not for another 100million each?

They should split rounds so every other round is MMA rules.
    “I don’t think that there will be any curtailing of Donald Trump as president,” he said. "He controls the media, he controls the sentiment [and] he controls everybody. He’s the one who will resort to executive orders more so than [President] Obama ever used them." - Ron Paul

Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    I'd wager they have a clause somewhere that guarantees a followup MMA fight after this one... why not for another 100million each?
    Now THAT's the fight I wanted to see.... Mayweather isn't a real fighter. A couple leg kicks, a takedown and an elbow, and Mayweather would be crying in panic.
    There are only two things we should fight for. One is the defense of our homes and the other is the Bill of Rights. War for any other reason is simply a racket.
    -Major General Smedley Butler, USMC,
    Two-Time Congressional Medal of Honor Winner
    Author of, War is a Racket!

It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours.
    - Diogenes of Sinope

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by jllundqu View Post
    If Conor were a boxer, I'd agree. But his strength is kickboxing and MMA, not strict boxing. He'll have to unlearn a lot of his habits that have made him successful in MMA (i.e. elbows, knees, grappling except for the clinch) and start over almost from scratch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12