Thread: New England Long Weekend Getaway

New England Long Weekend Getaway

Hello,
    I am looking for suggestions for a long 4 day weekend getaway with the wife. No more than 6 hours from Hartford CT.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by GlennwaldSnowdenAssanged View Post
    Hello,
    I am looking for suggestions for a long 4 day weekend getaway with the wife. No more than 6 hours from Hartford CT.
    Conway, NH--outlet mall and lots of good restaurants (Muddy Moose). Lincoln, NH-- you can see the mountains (hike and bike trails) and covered bridges. Drive to the Lake's Region around Lake Winnipesaukee--Wolfeboro, Meredith, Laconia and Weirs Beach. On the way back home stop over by Hampton, Beach.

Lot's to see! Have a great weekend.
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

Hello,
    I took an interesting ad hoc road trip crisscrossing NE a couple of years ago...

Lake George, NY is cool and you could spend easily spend a few days there. Although, with the Covid nuts, you may want to avoid NY.

If you like exercise, I'd recommend Mt Mansfield in Vermont. It's a hell of a climb, but the area is beautiful. Or you could hike and camp in the White Mountains in NH and drive up Mt Washington.

You could easily spend a few days in Bar Harbor, ME and Acadia (seemed kinda expensive to me and "resort-ish", but there's plenty to do.)

If you're after history, Concord Mass is great. Quaint downtown area and lots of museums and historical sites.

If you like the beach, I'd recommend Hampton Beach, NH for an amusement park-type vibe or Newport, RI for a laid-back vibe. If you want to spend LOTS of money, hop over to Martha's Vineyard or Nantucket.
    "And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works." - Bastiat

"It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." - Voltaire

Hello,
    There's also the Finger Lakes wine country in NY and you could visit Watkins Glen. And for a 5 hour trip, you could go to Alexandria Bay, NY and go explore some of the castles in the Thousand Islands region... I was there 2 weeks ago and the ice was almost all melted.
    "And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works." - Bastiat

"It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." - Voltaire

Here's a little inspirational song too...

“The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

What do you guys like?

Mountains and hiking, beaches and oceanfront, fishing and sailing, history and architecture?

Man, I could come up with whole mess of things for fun 4 day weekend.

Gloucester MA beachfront hotels: https://www.tripadvisor.com/SmartDea...tel-Deals.html

Newport RI mansion tours: https://www.tripadvisor.com/SmartDea...tel-Deals.html

Maine sailing cruises:https://sailmainecoast.com/

Steam trains: https://essexsteamtrain.com/ https://www.conwayscenic.com/ https://www.thecog.com/

ATV rentals for trail riding: https://whitemtatvrental.com/

Offshore fishing: https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attracti...Hampshire.html

And I haven't listed anything on Cape Cod or the islands, which is world to itself.
    “Civilizations die from suicide, not by murder.” - Arnold Toynbee

Hope you enjoy your 4 day weekend getaway wherever you end up going.
    "Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration is minding my own business."

Calvin Coolidge

Have fun . I'd want to get more than 6 hours away from Hartford . If you cant I'd go fishing . in the fall I'd go duck hunting or bird hunting.
    Last edited by oyarde; 04-07-2021 at 03:29 PM.
    Do something Danke

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    If you do go to Concord or Nashua ( I wouldnt ) dont mail anything . Two of the absolute worst performing post offices ever in the history america. I do a lot of business with a couple guys there in the areas . You wont get 100 percent of your packages but you can count on 33 percent or better to be about a month late .
    Last edited by oyarde; 04-07-2021 at 03:29 PM.
    Do something Danke

Per registered decision, member has been banned for violating community standards as interpreted by TheTexan (respect his authoritah) as authorized by Brian4Liberty Ruling

May God have mercy on his atheist, police-hating, non-voting, anarchist soul.
    Last edited by Voluntarist; 05-17-2021 at 09:12 AM.
    You have the right to remain silent. Anything you post to the internet can and will be used to humiliate you.

When I was young one summer I took a 411 mile float down the Wabash River . Takes awhile though .
    Do something Danke

We went to Lake George for a weekend last fall. It was very nice. I Thank everyone for their input. I forwarded this thread to my wife and she booked us a get away to some place in NH for mid May. We are going on a train ride, hiking, and some other stuff. I think she booked an all inclusive place where meals are included. When I know more details I will post. Thanks again.

We went to Lake George for a weekend last fall. It was very nice. I Thank everyone for their input. I forwarded this thread to my wife and she booked us a get away to some place in NH for mid May. We are going on a train ride, hiking, and some other stuff. I think she booked an all inclusive place where meals are included. When I know more details I will post. Thanks again.
    have fun
    Do something Danke

We stayed in a Bed and Breakfast about 15 minutes from North Conway. Fantastic place. Great Food. Hard to tell if our experience would have been the same at every time of year. There were very few guests which made our stay almost private. We liked that. Obviously had the place been filled to occupancy it may have been different. First thing we did was take a one hour scenic railway tour. That was a joke and waste of time and money but who would have known. Went to our lodging and had dinner. That was fantastic! 5 Stars *****!! Also included was full breakfast each morning. The second day we woke up, had breakfast and went on a hike. The hike was preplanned and guided. The owner of the tour guide company had a long time friend accompany her because she needed more tour guides. They packed snacks that fit our diet. We were scheduled to hike Champney Falls trail but we made that pretty quickly and they offered to take us to the top of Mount Chocorua. When we got to the top it started raining and with a few snowflakes. The wind was kicked up and the weather didn't allow us to spend too much time at the top. Shortly after leaving the summit, the sun came back out. The falls were beautiful. This was the first time my wife had ever hiked to the top of any mountain. Food in the area seemed to be pricey but I would imagine that is because it seems like a tourist area. Great weekend. Now we are planning some day hikes closer to home. All in all wonderful time with great food, great accommodations, wonderful hosts and people.

We stayed in a Bed and Breakfast about 15 minutes from North Conway. Fantastic place. Great Food. Hard to tell if our experience would have been the same at every time of year. There were very few guests which made our stay almost private. We liked that. Obviously had the place been filled to occupancy it may have been different. First thing we did was take a one hour scenic railway tour. That was a joke and waste of time and money but who would have known. Went to our lodging and had dinner. That was fantastic! 5 Stars *****!! Also included was full breakfast each morning. The second day we woke up, had breakfast and went on a hike. The hike was preplanned and guided. The owner of the tour guide company had a long time friend accompany her because she needed more tour guides. They packed snacks that fit our diet. We were scheduled to hike Champney Falls trail but we made that pretty quickly and they offered to take us to the top of Mount Chocorua. When we got to the top it started raining and with a few snowflakes. The wind was kicked up and the weather didn't allow us to spend too much time at the top. Shortly after leaving the summit, the sun came back out. The falls were beautiful. This was the first time my wife had ever hiked to the top of any mountain. Food in the area seemed to be pricey but I would imagine that is because it seems like a tourist area. Great weekend. Now we are planning some day hikes closer to home. All in all wonderful time with great food, great accommodations, wonderful hosts and people.
    Well it seemed like a good time was had. You were very close to were I work, which is a Farm to Table Market--we have the best Rueben's around.

Quote Originally Posted by donnay View Post
    ...we have the best Rueben's around.
    The Reuben is one of my favorite sandwiches. Yum.
    “Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want and deserve to get it good and hard.”

H.L. Mencken

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    First thing we did was take a one hour scenic railway tour. That was a joke and waste of time and money but who would have known.
    Sorry to hear about that.

I'm a railroad nerd, and I know the owner of Conway Scenic on personal enough basis to pass along a complaint to improve things in the future.

I guessing at an hour, you took the "Valley Train" which runs south from North Conway to Conway Center and return.

Can you tell me what went wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post

I'm a railroad nerd, and I know the owner of Conway Scenic on personal enough basis to pass along a complaint to improve things in the future.

I guessing at an hour, you took the "Valley Train" which runs south from North Conway to Conway Center and return.

I took the one from French Lick to Cuzco one summer . Loved it.
    Do something Danke

Nothing really went wrong. My wife booked it. I have no idea what it cost and didn't ask. Could hardly hear what the guy was saying over the loudspeaker and we basically went about 20 minutes behind some houses and mobile homes and stopped for 10 minutes or so and went back. I would not call it a scenic ride.

Place we stayed was Snowvillage Inn. Great owners and food. No TV but didn't miss it.

Nothing really went wrong. My wife booked it. I have no idea what it cost and didn't ask. Could hardly hear what the guy was saying over the loudspeaker and we basically went about 20 minutes behind some houses and mobile homes and stopped for 10 minutes or so and went back. I would not call it a scenic ride.
    Yeah, that is the "Valley Train", and it gets that complaint often, I'm afraid.

It's a short hop from North Conway to Conway Center, through, as you noted, not very "scenic" countryside. I've made the trip many times, only because that is where they normally run steam power.

A much more pleasant and longer trip with better scenery is the northbound trip to Faybans, through Crawford Notch. That goes along the old B and M "White Mountain District" track, basically carved out of the side of the mountain.

I'll pass your remarks along, thanks.

Place we stayed was Snowvillage Inn. Great owners and food. No TV but didn't miss it.
    Know it well, great place, glad that worked out for and overall you enjoyed your time.

I live about thirty minutes to the south.

A much more pleasant and longer trip with better scenery is the northbound trip to Faybans, through Crawford Notch. That goes along the old B and M "White Mountain District" track, basically carved out of the side of the mountain.
    Wow, pretty.
    “Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want and deserve to get it good and hard.”

H.L. Mencken

Quote Originally Posted by cjm View Post
    Wow, pretty.
    Book a trip and stop by The Farm to Table Market in Ossipee, NH for the best Rueben's in New England.