Thread: South Korea vows to arrest citizens who smoke cannabis in Canada

South Korea vows to arrest citizens who smoke cannabis in Canada

South Korean residents who smoke cannabis in Canada will be “punished” on their return home, the country's authorities have warned.
    The North American nation became the second country in the world after Uruguay to legalise recreational marijuana last week, a move that has triggered global debate around decriminalisation of the drug.
    But South Koreans living in there were told earlier this week to stay away from the drug.
    "Weed smokers will be punished according to the Korean law, even if they did so in countries where smoking marijuana is legal. There won't be an exception,” said Yoon Se-jin, head of the anti-drugs division at Gyeonggi Nambu Provincial police agency.
    Those found guilty could face up to five years in prison
    Korean police also said they plan to hold workshops in Canada and Uruguay to make clear the risks of smoking cannabis in the two countries, The Korea Times reported.
    Around 23,000 Koreans with student visas are living in Canada, according to ministry of foreign affairs data.
    All of South Korea’s laws apply to its citizens no matter where they are in the world and those breaking them can theoretically be prosecuted on their return to the East Asian country.

More at: https://www.yahoo.com/news/south-kor...174434259.html
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Lighten up SK.

Don't need a weather man to know which way the wind blows

looks like they need sum FREEDOM
    FLIP THOSE FLAGS, THE NATION IS IN DISTRESS!

why I should worship the state (who apparently is the only party that can possess guns without question).
    The state's only purpose is to kill and control. Why do you worship it? - Sola_Fide

Baptiste said.
    At which point will Americans realize that creating an unaccountable institution that is able to pass its liability on to tax-payers is immoral and attracts sociopaths?

Chester Copperpot

amazing that this is from the freer korea

Quote Originally Posted by Chester Copperpot View Post
    amazing that this is from the freer korea
    There is no clarity on the legality of cannabis in North-Korea but for what it's worth, it's probably quasi-legal as they have other things to worry about and prosecute.
    "I am a bird"

Quote Originally Posted by luctor-et-emergo View Post
    There is no clarity on the legality of cannabis in North-Korea but for what it's worth, it's probably quasi-legal as they have other things to worry about and prosecute.
    That's what I have read as well; that there is no law for cannabis nor is there a law against cannabis. I also read an interview a while back about an Eastern European (either Slovenian or Croatian) who went to NK and said they could smoke joints in restaurants, without any issue. I have also read that farmers there use cannabis for their body aches.

Quote Originally Posted by homahr View Post
    That's what I have read as well; that there is no law for cannabis nor is there a law against cannabis. I also read an interview a while back about an Eastern European (either Slovenian or Croatian) who went to NK and said they could smoke joints in restaurants, without any issue. I have also read that farmers there use cannabis for their body aches.
    I've read a lot of things about North-Korea. It's an interesting country. A lot of things that are said about the country are false, if only because very few people actually have a good big-picture of what is going on there. In principle it's very simple, they find themselves in a situation that's hard to get out of as they have been digging a deep hole for a long time. The only objective of Kim is to stay alive. Therefore he is quite predictable, in general terms. In order to find a way out of this situation, they have to maintain a balance in order to not end up with an internal or regional bloodbath/war. That's quite serious. From that perspective, I do think it is very fruitful to talk and discuss.

Since the only thing the North-Koreans live for is survival, maybe immunity of sorts for a large number of individuals could do a lot of good to normalise relations between the North and South.. As we all know, the best way to stop bombs flying across borders, is to have trade instead. So the question is, what's the best way to achieve that.

Question is, while I realise I'm going off-topic, will North-Korea and South-Korea fully normalise their relations before South-Korea understands this idea is stupid ?
    "I am a bird"