Thread: Baltimore Confederate monuments come down overnight....

Baltimore Confederate monuments come down overnight....

BALTIMORE —
    It appears Baltimore's Confederate four monuments are coming down faster than previously thought.

Baltimore's mayor and City Council members differed over how to remove the city's four Confederate monuments, but crews were seen early Wednesday removing statues.

About a dozen city crews and private contractors were seen in Wyman Park, removing the Lee and Jackson Monument. Crews started getting ready around midnight Tuesday. By 3 a.m., a crane hoisted the monument from its pedestal. By 3:45 a.m., the monument was transferred to a flatbed truck.

The Roger Taney statue in Mount Vernon had already been removed by the time 11 News arrived at 2:30 a.m.

It was not immediately known where the monuments were going.

Mayor Catherine Pugh is expected to speak at 10 a.m. about the monuments. All four have been taken down.

On Monday night, the City Council cited events in Charlottesville, Virginia, when it adopted a resolution calling for the immediate destruction of Confederate monuments.

Baltimore has four Confederate monuments that include a Confederate women's monument in Bishop Square Park, a monument for soldiers and sailors on Mount Royal Avenue, the Lee and Jackson Monument in the Wyman Park Dell and a statue of Roger Taney that sits just north of the Washington Monument.

Mayor Catherine Pugh has said that she has talked with contractors about logistics, contacted the Maryland Historical Trust for permissions and identified Confederate cemeteries to send some statues to.
    http://www.wbaltv.com/article/crews-...night/12017831

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    GOOD!

now that racism is over in baltimo...wait a minute... opiods abuse and murder werent being commited by the staue!

or was it???

p.s.

PFuUuCK the ravens for evermore
    FLIP THOSE FLAGS, THE NATION IS IN DISTRESS!

why I should worship the state (who apparently is the only party that can possess guns without question).
    The state's only purpose is to kill and control. Why do you worship it? - Sola_Fide

Baptiste said.
    At which point will Americans realize that creating an unaccountable institution that is able to pass its liability on to tax-payers is immoral and attracts sociopaths?

Quote Originally Posted by jkr View Post
    GOOD!

now that racism is over in baltimo...wait a minute... opiods abuse and murder werent being commited by the staue!

or was it???
    Your tax dollars at 'work'.....

I have no words.. Destroying or removing statues that have been in place for decades or centuries out of raw emotion and because of violence is about the most stupid thing to do.

And here I thought that Europe was politically correct...

This statue still stands, to this day, it's the statue to Jan Pieterszoon Coen. Who used to be a national hero of ours. Now people think different about him but the statue remains because it's part of our heritage.

(wiki)
    In 1621, he led an armed assault of Banda using Japanese mercenaries, taking the island of Lonthor by force after encountering some fierce resistance, mostly by cannons that the natives had acquired from the English. Many thousands of inhabitants were massacred and replaced by slave labour from other islands to make way for Dutch planters. Of the 15,000 inhabitants it is believed only about a thousand survived on the island. Eight hundred people were deported to Batavia.

I think that I'm really pissed off about this because those who try to change the way history by force are actually spreading ignorance and intolerance.
    "I am a bird"

Boy, this locomotive is building steam fast.

Don't need a weather man to know which way the wind blows

There's a simple solution..........

Stop feeding the cities.

Those people grow nothing but trouble, let 'em feast on that $#@! for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by shakey1 View Post
    The current efforts are insufficient.

Whites must atone more fully, for the sins of their privilege and their oppression.

Report to your local Human Relations Commission officer for assignment to a mandatory shaming squad.

Meh.

I have a bust of Lee in my home. But I could care less about these statues. Confederate graveyards and the like are great places for them, very historically appropriate. But out as city monuments? I care not either way. Stay up? Okay. Taken down? Go ahead. They don't mean much either way as state monuments.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Just in case you're curious, yes, those photos and movement are real.

http://www.lifelineexpedition.co.uk/content/view/18/46/

Self loathing pseudo X-stians,

Quote Originally Posted by shakey1 View Post
    And the stupid train is just leaving the station.

People have forgotten what happens when a once powerful majority becomes a hated and politically impotent minority in a country due to any number of forces, war, upheaval or demographic warfare.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    And the stupid train is just leaving the station.

People have forgotten what happens when a once powerful majority becomes a hated and politically impotent minority in a country due to any number of forces, war, upheaval or demographic warfare.
    Cities crumble.

I'll not shed a single tear either.

Just in case you're curious, yes, those photos and movement are real.

http://www.lifelineexpedition.co.uk/content/view/18/46/

Self loathing pseudo X-stians,
    Well, all I can say is W.T.F.

I guess they saw Trumps question about Jackson yesterday as a challenge. I suspect this is gonna upset him.

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    Cities crumble.

I'll not shed a single tear either.
    I understand your view.

Being in the country did not stop the killing and forced displacement of white farmers and land owners in South Africa and Zimbabwe.

Or the forced government takeover of farms and land in Chavez's Venezuela.

Just to name a couple places.

Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    I guess they saw Trumps question about Jackson yesterday as a challenge. I suspect this is gonna upset him.
    Once these "purges" get up a head of steam, there is little that can stop them, short of burning themselves out for lack of fuel.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I understand your view.

Being in the country did not stop the killing and forced displacement of white farmers and land owners in South Africa and Zimbabwe.

Or the forced government takeover of farms and land in Chavez's Venezuela.

Just to name a couple places.

Sooner is better than later.

Black lawmakers say Confederate statues should come out of Capitol

http://thehill.com/homenews/house/34...out-of-capitol

By Cristina Marcos - 08/16/17 06:00 AM EDT

Members of the Congressional Black Caucus are reviving calls to remove Confederate statues from the Capitol following the violence at a white nationalist rally in Virginia.

The “Unite the Right” rally of white supremacists and the subsequent clashes with counterprotesters began as a protest against the Charlottesville city council’s decision to remove a statue of Confederate Gen. Robert E. Lee.

Since the rally, other localities have moved to take down Confederate statues — and some lawmakers think the Capitol should consider following suit.

“We will never solve America's race problem if we continue to honor traitors who fought against the United States in order to keep African-Americans in chains. By the way, thank god, they lost,” Congressional Black Caucus Chairman Cedric Richmond (D-La.) told ABC News.

However, a CBC aide told The Hill that the group is not currently working on any legislative efforts, like resolutions or letters, on Confederate statues in the Capitol.

Rep. Bennie Thompson (D-Miss.), the sole African-American member of the Mississippi delegation, had demanded his state flag not be displayed due to its inclusion of the Confederate battle flag.

Asked about the remaining statues in the Capitol, Thompson this week reiterated that Confederate imagery should be removed from the complex.

“Confederate memorabilia have no place in this country and especially not in the United States Capitol. These images symbolize a time of racial discrimination and segregation that continues to haunt this country and many African-Americans who still to this day face racism and bigotry,” Thompson said in a statement to The Hill.

“It is past time for action to remove all Confederate symbols in the U.S. Capitol and on the Mississippi state flag.”

President Trump, meanwhile, pushed back against the initiatives to remove Confederate memorials during a press conference at Trump Tower on Tuesday.

“This week it's Robert E. Lee. I noticed that Stonewall Jackson is coming down. I wonder is it George Washington next week and is it Thomas Jefferson the week after? You know, you really do have to ask yourself, where does it stop?” Trump said.

Black Caucus members have urged the statues' removal before without success, such as after the racially motivated shooting in 2015 at a historic black church in Charleston, S.C., that killed nine people.

At least nine statues honoring former Confederate leaders and military officers are featured in the Capitol as part of the National Statuary Hall Collection. Each state contributes two statues commemorating noteworthy citizens, which are placed in the former House chamber now known as National Statuary Hall, as well as the Rotunda, the room beneath the Rotunda known as the Crypt, the Capitol Visitor Center and the Hall of Columns.

Statuary Hall, which is just steps from the current House chamber, is home to depictions of Jefferson Davis, the president of the Confederacy; Alexander Hamilton Stephens, its vice president; and Zebulon Vance and Joseph Wheeler, who were both former Confederate military officers and members of Congress.

Statues of John C. Calhoun, the former vice president and slavery proponent, and Lee — not unlike the one in Charlottesville — are displayed a floor below in the Capitol Crypt.

Tourists can also find Confederate statues in the Capitol Visitor Center, including military officers like Wade Hampton, James George and Edmund Kirby Smith.

Only states have the power to replace statues in the National Statuary Hall Collection. A statue can be replaced if the state legislature and governor approve a resolution to do so and if it has been displayed in the Capitol for at least a decade. (States can still seek a waiver if a statue has been present for less time.)

The Florida legislature enacted a law last year calling for Smith’s removal from the Capitol, but lawmakers haven’t been able to agree on a replacement statue yet.

Proponents of removing Confederate imagery from the Capitol complex have had some success in recent years. In the months after the Charleston shooting, the GOP-controlled House Administration Committee removed state flags from an underground subway tunnel and replaced them with commemorative coins.

Another Black Caucus member, Rep. Hank Johnson (D-Ga.), suggested it’s better to include statues of figures from other chapters of U.S. history alongside depictions of the Confederacy.

“Congressman Johnson believes we should revise and supplement history with statues of other Americans who have contributed to our collective experience and story. The goal should be revision and inclusion as opposed to the obliteration of the nation’s history,” Johnson spokesman Andy Phelan said.

Beyond the Capitol, Black Caucus members have been pushing to do away with Confederate memorials in their home states.

The CBC recently filed an amicus brief with the Supreme Court in support of a lawsuit filed by an African-American lawyer against the governor of Mississippi claiming that the state flag sends a message of denying equal treatment under the law by including the Confederate emblem.

New York Democratic Reps. Yvette Clarke and Hakeem Jeffries joined two other non-CBC lawmakers in urging the Army to rename streets at Fort Hamilton in Brooklyn honoring two Confederate generals. The Army rejected the request earlier this month.

And Rep. Lacy Clay (D-Mo.) in his district called for a Confederate monument to be removed from Forest Park in St. Louis. The memorial was removed earlier this summer.

Clay was at the center of a controversy in January when GOP lawmakers objected to a high school-aged constituent’s painting that depicted police officers as animals. The painting was meant to examine the historically fraught relations between police and African-Americans.

At the time, Clay countered that he found the Confederate statues in the Capitol “deeply offensive.”

Several communities across the nation had already been in the process of removing Confederate imagery before the Charlottesville violence, such as statues in New Orleans and the renaming of Jefferson Davis Highway and J.E.B. Stuart High School in the Northern Virginia suburbs neighboring Washington.

Efforts to take down Confederate symbols have multiplied in the days since the protests in Charlottesville, where a man who drove from Ohio to attend the white supremacist rally allegedly rammed his car into a crowd of counterprotesters in an attack that killed one woman and injured 19 others.

Officials in cities ranging from Lexington, Ky., and Memphis, Tenn., to Baltimore moved to advance plans to take down Confederate monuments. Tennessee Gov. Bill Haslam, a Republican, said he thinks a statue of Confederate general and Ku Klux Klan leader Nathan Bedford Forrest should be removed from the state Capitol.

Another GOP governor, Larry Hogan of Maryland, endorsed the removal of a statue from the state House grounds depicting the Supreme Court chief justice who authored the Dred Scott opinion, Roger B. Taney.

Protesters in Durham, N.C., took matters into their own hands on Monday by pulling down a Confederate statue.

Rep. G.K. Butterfield (D-N.C.), a former CBC chairman, expressed sympathy for “the pain that people of good will are experiencing when terror is heaped upon them or their fellow citizens.”

"I don't condone the destruction of government property, but I understand the hurt and pain the continued existence of confederate monuments cause to many in our communities, whether it is on the grounds of the U.S. Capitol, state capitals, or any other locations,” Butterfield said in a statement.

I have no affinity for statues of any kind. Take 'em down, leave 'em up? If it's your own property, I don't care. If it's gubmint property, I certainly don't care! Hell, if they wanted to be truthful, they'd have Marx and Machiavelli statues everywhere. Don't tell me what to put up or take down on my land and I'll do the same for you.

But this whole reaction is puzzling. It just tells me how easily people are manipulated by their media.
    "And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works." - Bastiat

"It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." - Voltaire

We live close to Memphis. I wonder how long until the crazies take down the monuments there. I've wondered about this for quite a few years now. Downtown Memphis has several monuments and there has been grumblings about them in the past that always subsided. I'm afraid that due to all the sheit hitting the fan they won't be around much longer. I guess I'd better go photograph them before ISIS strikes...
    BEWARE THE CULT OF "GOVERNMENT"

Christian Anarchy - Our Only Hope For Liberty In Our Lifetime!
    Sonmi 451: Truth is singular. Its "versions" are mistruths.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:ChristianAnarchist

Use an internet archive site like
    THIS ONE
    to archive the article and create the link to the article content instead.

Quote Originally Posted by ChristianAnarchist View Post
    We live close to Memphis. I wonder how long until the crazies take down the monuments there. I've wondered about this for quite a few years now. Downtown Memphis has several monuments and there has been grumblings about them in the past that always subsided. I'm afraid that due to all the sheit hitting the fan they won't be around much longer. I guess I'd better go photograph them before ISIS strikes...
    If you want to photograph them then best do so soon. Make no mistake they ARE coming down.

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    If you want to photograph them then best do so soon. Make no mistake they ARE coming down.
    Such a senseless act of futility... all to play into the globalist agenda.

Quote Originally Posted by ChristianAnarchist View Post
    Its inevitable that some of it would be coming down.

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    Hopefully he would do it in secrecy. Thanks to the idiot alt right, we now know that confederacy is something cherished by neo nazis.

Quote Originally Posted by juleswin View Post
    Its inevitable that some of it would be coming down.

Hopefully he would do it in secrecy. Thanks to the idiot alt right, we now know that confederacy is something cherished by neo nazis.
    Yeah, might want to be on the lookout for AntiFa and the BLM too.... they catch you taking a picture and you might be assaulted.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptUSA View Post
    I have no affinity for statues of any kind. Take 'em down, leave 'em up? If it's your own property, I don't care. If it's gubmint property, I certainly don't care! Hell, if they wanted to be truthful, they'd have Marx and Machiavelli statues everywhere. Don't tell me what to put up or take down on my land and I'll do the same for you.

But this whole reaction is puzzling. It just tells me how easily people are manipulated by their media.
    This pretty much sums it up. Modern day book burning has seemingly returned thanks in part to generations worth of the dumbing down of the masses and the media giving them the dousing of gasoline and a matchbook that they have been waiting for.