Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: US pledges $10.6B aid for Central America, southern Mexico

US pledges $10.6B aid for Central America, southern Mexico

The United States pledged $5.8 billion in aid and investment Tuesday for strengthening government and economic development in Central America, and another $4.8 billion in development aid for southern Mexico. The U.S aid aims to promote better security conditions and job opportunities as part of a regional plan to allow Central Americans and Mexicans to remain in their countries and not have to emigrate.
    The plan was announced in a joint U.S.-Mexican statement released by the State Department and read aloud by Mexican Foreign Relations Secretary Marcelo Ebrard in the Mexican capital.
    “In sum I think this is good news, very good news for Mexico,” Ebrard said.
    Newly inaugurated President Andres Manuel Lopez Obrador waxed poetic about the plan to provide jobs so people won’t have to emigrate.
    “I have a dream that I want to see become a reality ... that nobody will want to go work in the United States anymore,” Lopez Obrador said at a morning news conference before the announcement.
    The combination of public and private investment for the stay-at-home effort doesn’t require congressional approval, unlike Trump’s signature project to stem illegal immigration — a border wall.
    The U.S. State Department issued a simultaneous statement saying “The United States is committing $5.8 billion through public and private investment to promote institutional reforms and development in the Northern Triangle,” a term that refers to Honduras, Guatemala and El Salvador.
    Lopez Obrador’s administration has said it is also interested in agricultural, forestry and tourism projects in southern Mexico, and the U.S. said it will contribute to those efforts.
    The U.S. Overseas Private Investment Corporation “is prepared to invest and mobilize $2 billion in additional funds for projects in southern Mexico that are viable and attract private sector investment,” according to the statement. “This amount is in addition to the $2.8 billion in projects for Mexico through OPIC’s current investment pipeline.”
    Ebrard said “The commitments established here signify more than doubling foreign investment in southern Mexico starting in 2019.”
    Southern states like Chiapas and Oaxaca are home to many of Mexico’s poorest communities. Lopez Obrador, who took office Dec. 1, has sought to make development in that region a priority, including plans for a “Mayan train” stretching from touristy parts of the Yucatan Peninsula down to Chiapas.
    It was unclear if Mexico would give anything in return. A planned announcement about Mexico’s migration policy was postponed until Wednesday.

More at: https://apnews.com/0fcda32812024680ad98676379c47233
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.

" ... that nobody will want to go work in the United States anymore".

lol, like that is why they come.

Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

Wow! US Government Announces $10.6 Billion in Aid to Mexico and Central America — But ZERO DOLLARS for Border Wall

This comes on the same day White House spokesperson Sarah Sanders announced there will be no shutdown over border wall funding.

https://www.thegatewaypundit.com/201...r-border-wall/
    "The Patriarch"

It was unclear if Mexico would give anything in return. A planned announcement about Mexico’s migration policy was postponed until Wednesday.
    They're going to pay for the wall.....duh.
    "The Patriarch"

Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    Wow! US Government Announces $10.6 Billion in Aid to Mexico and Central America — But ZERO DOLLARS for Border Wall

This comes on the same day White House spokesperson Sarah Sanders announced there will be no shutdown over border wall funding.

https://www.thegatewaypundit.com/201...r-border-wall/
    Sanders also said Trump was looking at other sources of funding for the wall. (like the military budget)

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    Sanders also said Trump was looking at other sources of funding for the wall. (like the military budget)
    Oh! Well, never mind then.
    "The Patriarch"

I was listening to a "conservative" talk show host on the way home form work yesterday and his idea was to build the wall AND double the foreign welfare because, he thought, if we give them more money we can prevent immigrants because their countries will be better.

I was reminded of why I don't listen to talk radio.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Better idea: NO FOREIGN AID TO ANY COUNTRIES!!!!!!!
    "Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration is minding my own business."

Calvin Coolidge

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Globalist View Post
    Better idea: NO FOREIGN AID TO ANY COUNTRIES!!!!!!!
    That would be much better but Trump is attempting to pay our southern neighbors to guard our border with funds Congress doesn't control since they won't pay for us to do it ourselves.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

That would be much better but Trump is attempting to pay our southern neighbors to guard our border with funds Congress doesn't control since they won't pay for us to do it ourselves.
    Wow, he said that? He's pretty clever that guy.
    "The Patriarch"

Wow, he said that? He's pretty clever that guy.
    He asked Mexico to do various things like closing their southern border and they have begun to do some of them but they demanded more foreign aid for themselves and for other S. American countries in return.

If Congress would pay for proper border security and fix our broken immigration laws we could secure our own border and tell them to go pound sand.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

End all foreign aid .
    Do something Danke

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    End all foreign aid .
    That would be best.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

He asked Mexico to do various things like closing their southern border and they have begun to do some of them but they demanded more foreign aid for themselves and for other S. American countries in return.

If Congress would pay for proper border security and fix our broken immigration laws we could secure our own border and tell them to go pound sand.
    Well, I'm sure they will gladly police they're southern border even if we don't give them money, what other things have they begun to do?
    "The Patriarch"

Tell us more about these funds that Congress doesn't control.
    Pinochet is the model
    Liberty preserving authoritarianism.
    Enforced internal open borders was one of the worst elements of the Constitution.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Well, I'm sure they will gladly police they're southern border even if we don't give them money,
    They weren't, they were happily enabling the migrants to pass through their territory with only token border/migration control because they knew that they were all headed for the US.

what other things have they begun to do?
    They have been offering to give the migrants residence and work permits in Mexico.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by TheCount View Post
    Tell us more about these funds that Congress doesn't control.
    They already gave the money to the state department to be handed out as foreign aid as the state department sees fit so they no longer control their use.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

They weren't, they were happily enabling the migrants to pass through their territory with only token border/migration control because they knew that they were all headed for the US.

They have been offering to give the migrants residence and work permits in Mexico.
    Only because they knew they were headed for the US. Isn't it true they have a pretty strict immigration policy otherwise in regards to their southern border?

They have been offering to give the migrants residence and work permits in Mexico
    Ya, well, they let them in, what are they going to do now?
    "The Patriarch"

Only because they knew they were headed for the US. Isn't it true they have a pretty strict immigration policy otherwise in regards to their southern border?
    Yes but now they aren't going to let them through just because they are headed here. (or at least that is supposed to be the deal)

Ya, well, they let them in, what are they going to do now?
    They could encourage them to cross our border and refuse to let them stay and work in Mexico.

I'm not in favor of this deal, I'm just explaining it and pointing out that Trump is doing it because Congress won't fix our immigration problems.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Yes but now they aren't going to let them through just because they are headed here. (or at least that is supposed to be the deal)

They could encourage them to cross our border and refuse to let them stay and work in Mexico.

I'm not in favor of this deal, I'm just explaining it and pointing out that Trump is doing it because Congress won't fix our immigration problems.
    You're saying that's what he's doing, is there anything to back this up other than conjecture?
    "The Patriarch"

You're saying that's what he's doing, is there anything to back this up other than conjecture?
    His demands of Mexico and their counter demands followed by their actions and this foreign aid.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Besides Dems and Pelosi, MAGA and his son-in-law Kushner's leadership has played a pivotal role in strengthening ties between our neighborly nations. Hats off to this bipartisan team work in helping our neighbors in their hour of economic need using US taxpayers aid.

OP, no biggie but looks like you missed important related news about key GOP-Adelson wing leadership shaping these relations and trade/aid packages behind the scenes.

Mexico's President gives Jared Kushner their nation’s greatest award for saving NAFTA (renamed USMCA)

The Order of the Aztec Eagle, issued by Mexico to foreigners who make a significant contribution to the country

November 30, 2018

Kushner was inducted into the Order of the Aztec Eagle. It’s an honour reserved for foreigners who make a significant contribution to Mexico’s wellbeing. In this case, it was for a trade agreement.

The USMCA agreement — which replaces the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA) dumped by President Trump — is expected to be signed at the G20 meeting of world leaders in Argentina.
    He was a “grand ally of Mexico”, President Peña Nieto declared at the announcement, which elevates Kushner to the same league as Bill Gates, Queen Elizabeth II, Walt Disney and Nelson Mandela.

Kushner deserved recognition for “his significant contributions in achieving the renegotiation … avoiding a unilateral departure by the US from the treaty”.

Related

U.S. to give $38 billion aid to Israel

Tucker Carlson: Why Is Congress Happy To Pay For Walls In Israel But Not On The U.S. Border?
    December 18, 2018

Breaking on Drudge:

MAGA Bends

Bipartisan victory for Trump...
    JARED'S BIGGEST WIN...

Quote Originally Posted by enhanced_deficit View Post
    Besides Dems and Pelosi, MAGA and his son-in-law Kushner's leadership has played a pivotal role in strengthening ties between our neighborly nations. Hats off to this bipartisan team work in helping our neighbors in their hour of economic need using US taxpayers aid.

OP, no biggie but looks like you missed important related news about key GOP-Adelson wing leadership shaping these relations and trade/aid packages behind the scenes.

Mexico's President gives Jared Kushner their nation’s greatest award for saving NAFTA (renamed USMCA)

The Order of the Aztec Eagle, issued by Mexico to foreigners who make a significant contribution to the country

November 30, 2018

Kushner was inducted into the Order of the Aztec Eagle. It’s an honour reserved for foreigners who make a significant contribution to Mexico’s wellbeing. In this case, it was for a trade agreement.

The USMCA agreement — which replaces the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA) dumped by President Trump — is expected to be signed at the G20 meeting of world leaders in Argentina.
    He was a “grand ally of Mexico”, President Peña Nieto declared at the announcement, which elevates Kushner to the same league as Bill Gates, Queen Elizabeth II, Walt Disney and Nelson Mandela.

Kushner deserved recognition for “his significant contributions in achieving the renegotiation … avoiding a unilateral departure by the US from the treaty”.

Related

U.S. to give $38 billion aid to Israel

Tucker Carlson: Why Is Congress Happy To Pay For Walls In Israel But Not On The U.S. Border?
    December 18, 2018
    More big bang level chess.
    "The Patriarch"

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Speaking of which, what happened to the slashing/ending of foreign aid to Honduras, Guatemala, and Mexico if they refused to handle the caravans? Haven't heard many updates about that.

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    End all foreign aid .
    Start with OPIC, an additional 2 Billion is coming through them.

https://www.opic.gov/

The Overseas Private Investment Corporation (OPIC) is a self-sustaining U.S. Government agency that helps American businesses invest in emerging markets. Established in 1971, OPIC provides businesses with the tools to manage the risks associated with foreign direct investment, fosters economic development in emerging market countries, and advances U.S. foreign policy and national security priorities. OPIC helps American businesses gain footholds in new markets, catalyzes new revenues and contributes to jobs and growth opportunities both at home and abroad. OPIC fulfills its mission by providing businesses with financing, political risk insurance, advocacy and by partnering with private equity investment fund managers.

https://bdnews24.com/world/americas/...curb-migration

Mexican Foreign Minister Marcelo Ebrard said the United States is committing $5.8 billion toward development in Central America. It is also increasing public and private investment in Mexico by $4.8 billion via the Overseas Private Investment Corporation (OPIC), $2 billion of which is set to go to the south.

I guess this money just isn't worth spending in the USA?
    Last edited by Pauls' Revere; 12-18-2018 at 09:27 PM.

We're being governed ruled by a geriatric Alzheimer patient/puppet whose strings are being pulled by an elitist oligarchy who believe they can manage the world... imagine the utter maniacal, sociopathic hubris!

Quote Originally Posted by Champuckett View Post
    Speaking of which, what happened to the slashing/ending of foreign aid to Honduras, Guatemala, and Mexico if they refused to handle the caravans? Haven't heard many updates about that.
    This is all B.S. I plan on leaving the USA when it becomes feasible.

We're being governed ruled by a geriatric Alzheimer patient/puppet whose strings are being pulled by an elitist oligarchy who believe they can manage the world... imagine the utter maniacal, sociopathic hubris!

Quote Originally Posted by Pauls' Revere View Post
    This is all B.S. I plan on leaving the USA when it becomes feasible.
    What other country do you think will be better and why?

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

What other country do you think will be better and why?
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nevis

1998 referendum
    See also: Nevis independence referendum, 1998

A referendum on secession from the Federation of St. Kitts and Nevis was held in 1998. Although 62% voted in favor of a secession, a two-thirds majority would have been necessary for the referendum to succeed.

but, still looking...

Quote Originally Posted by Pauls' Revere View Post
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nevis

1998 referendum
    See also: Nevis independence referendum, 1998

A referendum on secession from the Federation of St. Kitts and Nevis was held in 1998. Although 62% voted in favor of a secession, a two-thirds majority would have been necessary for the referendum to succeed.

but, still looking...
    Do they have anything like the Bill of Rights?

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast