Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Split: HOAs, Laws and Contracts

Split: HOAs, Laws and Contracts

Addressing the actual issues of this thread, I think someone needs to sue a HOA on constitutional grounds. People should be able to do what they want with their own property as long as it doesn't pose a danger to others living nearby. Eyesores are in the eyes of the beholders, and I can't see that a pumpkin patch would be any kind of problem. It's not enough to say people know the rules before they move in. There should be no rules.
    #NashvilleStrong

“I’m a doctor. That’s a baby.”~~~Dr. Manny Sethi

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by euphemia View Post
    Addressing the actual issues of this thread, I think someone needs to sue a HOA on constitutional grounds. People should be able to do what they want with their own property as long as it doesn't pose a danger to others living nearby. Eyesores are in the eyes of the beholders, and I can't see that a pumpkin patch would be any kind of problem. It's not enough to say people know the rules before they move in. There should be no rules.
    So void private contracts to prop up private property rules?

Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    So void private contracts to prop up private property rules?

Who makes the rules? Homeowner associations are just ridiculous. There should be no rules governing private property beyond the safety of people living nearby. People should be able to have whater kind of house they want, any kind of fence they want, and any kind of landscaping they want.

This is why we have stayed in our unrestricted neighborhood. We don't believe a homehowner association should tell us what to do. Private property ownership is fundamental to liberty.
    #NashvilleStrong

It's kind of like the personal searches at airports. It's not enough to say I know the rules. The Constitution plainly says the government may not ask to search me without probable cause and a warrant. It's a fundamental right.
    #NashvilleStrong

Who makes the rules? Homeowner associations are just ridiculous. There should be no rules governing private property beyond the safety of people living nearby. People should be able to have whater kind of house they want, any kind of fence they want, and any kind of landscaping they want.

This is why we have stayed in our unrestricted neighborhood. We don't believe a homehowner association should tell us what to do. Private property ownership is fundamental to liberty.
    But people agree to abide by the HOA rules when they buy or join a HOA. Some people want to live in a HOA and want it restricted as to all those things you listed. They shouldn't have the right to live in such a group?

No. There is no right to tell other people what they may do with their own property. Parents should be able to build playhouses and playsets. They should be able to have a flagpole. It's their property.
    #NashvilleStrong

No. There is no right to tell other people what they may do with their own property. Parents should be able to build playhouses and playsets. They should be able to have a flagpole. It's their property.
    But evidently some people want to live in a community where other people can tell them what they can do with their own property, and you don't think they should have the freedom to live in such. It's not for me, but I think they should have that right.

I agree but then I would not buy property tied to an HOA and sign the restricted use contract. If I did I would expect to honor the contract I signed.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Homeowner associations are usually found in wealthy neighborhoods. Rich people are no better than poor people. I live in a poor neighborhood, and I have never had a neighbor assault me on my property.

Rand's neighbor is a man of low character, I don't care how much money he has. He is a jerk and a criminal.
    #NashvilleStrong

Quote Originally Posted by kahless View Post
    I agree but then I would not buy property tied to an HOA and sign the restricted use contract. If I did I would expect to honor the contract I signed.
    The contract itself is unconstitutional. Private property ownership is not subject to the whim of my neighbors.
    #NashvilleStrong

Quote Originally Posted by undergroundrr View Post
    Wow. "Property rights" that don't actually exist. It's hard for me to imagine the person, even a die-hard progressive, who can read that without a WTF.
    They are right.

We don't truly own a damn thing in AmeriKa.

We are just serfs and squatters, hopping and tripping about purely at our master's pleasure, paying rents to the nobles, the liege-lords and bankers.

The contract itself is unconstitutional. Private property ownership is not subject to the whim of my neighbors.
    Of course it is.

Need proof?

Watch your property taxes skyrocket when your neighbors vote a new 50 million dollar school into the local budget.

It's kind of like the personal searches at airports. It's not enough to say I know the rules. The Constitution plainly says the government may not ask to search me without probable cause and a warrant. It's a fundamental right.
    Racist, misogynistic claptrap, cooked up by dead, white, cisgender rapists and oppressors, to perpetuate the patriarchy.

Pipe down with that racist talk.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    Of course it is.

Need proof?

Watch your property taxes skyrocket when your neighbors vote a new 50 million dollar school into the local budget.
    Where's that He's Right You Know meme? I had it here somewhere.
    Partisan politics, misleading or emotional bill titles, and 4D chess theories are manifestations of the same lie—that the text of the Constitution, the text of legislation, and plain facts do not matter; what matters is what you want to believe. From this comes hypocrisy. And where hypocrisy thrives, virtue recedes. Without virtue, liberty dies. - Justin Amash, March 2018

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    Of course it is.

Need proof?

Property taxes should not exist in a free society. Not a fan of HOA's but if people willingly enter into contracts with one another, such as HOA's, I do not see how that is unconstitutional. They sign knowing that they do not really own the property.

That’s kind of how city planning is going these days. New construction is expensive, high rise condos with amenities to attract wealthy liberals. That’s what’s happening here.

Displacing the poor and taking them away from cities where jobs and public transport are.
    #NashvilleStrong

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Well, really the constitution only applies between people and the government, not people and other people (perhaps with a few exceptions such as slavery, you might run into problems if you tried to enslave your neighbor, lol). It's why a restaurant can tell you not to bring guns inside, and all you can really do in retaliation is stop doing business with them or abide by their rules.

I had a good friend though, who lived in one of those cookie-cutter stick-built subdivisions where the houses are exactly alike and built so close together you can barely fit a fence between the lots. Some crazy bitch living down the street was trying to rally the neighborhood into forming an HOA and he was strongly opposed to it. I'd be curious to know what your rights are in that situation, if you were there long before the covenant came into play. Eventually he got tired of fighting it, said the lady was relentless (didn't like kids apparently, if you wanted a tree house you should go to the park or something). He moved out.
    Last edited by nobody's_hero; 11-08-2017 at 03:27 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    This is getting silly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    It started silly.
    T.S. Eliot's The Hollow Men

"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." - Plato

We Are Running Out of Time - Mini Me

Quote Originally Posted by Philhelm
    I part ways with "libertarianism" when it transitions from ideology grounded in logic into self-defeating autism for the sake of ideological purity.

Quote Originally Posted by nobody's_hero View Post
    Well, really the constitution only applies between people and the government, not people and other people (perhaps with a few exceptions such as slavery, you might run into problems if you tried to enslave your neighbor, lol). It's why a restaurant can tell you not to bring guns inside, and all you can really do in retaliation is stop doing business with them or abide by their rules.

I had a good friend though, who lived in one of those cookie-cutter stick-built subdivisions where the houses are exactly alike and built so close together you can barely fit a fence between the lots. Some crazy bitch living down the street was trying to rally the neighborhood into forming an HOA and he was strongly opposed to it. I'd be curious to know what your rights are in that situation, if you were there long before the covenant came into play. Eventually he got tired of fighting it, said the lady was relentless (didn't like kids apparently, if you wanted a tree house you should go to the park or something). He moved out.
    That is the biggest problem with HOAs, they are NOT voluntary contracts, they are some kind of weird quasi-government entity that can be forced on you.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

That is the biggest problem with HOAs, they are NOT voluntary contracts, they are some kind of weird quasi-government entity that can be forced on you.
    And that's really the truth. We live in a low income, unrestricted neighborhood. The people across the street have their vegetable garden in their front yard. Their house faces south. That's where the sun is. Nobody complains. I'm glad they have fresh veggies for the pregnant wife and two growing boys. That's how a liberty neighborhood should be. Fix your house how you like it, define your property any way you want and wave to the neighbors.
    #NashvilleStrong

And that's really the truth. We live in a low income, unrestricted neighborhood. The people across the street have their vegetable garden in their front yard. Their house faces south. That's where the sun is. Nobody complains. I'm glad they have fresh veggies for the pregnant wife and two growing boys. That's how a liberty neighborhood should be. Fix your house how you like it, define your property any way you want and wave to the neighbors.

It is voluntary to move there, and some people want to live in neighborhoods with rules. I don't like it anymore than you, but they should have the freedom to do so, HOAs are much better than zoning which is anti-property rights.

Rand Paul doesn't seem to have any complaints lodged against him by the HOA, according to others who are on the board. The only guy who is saying Rand had broken HOA rules is a Rhino who has attacked him politically in the past.

This is looking more and more like a political attack every day, as most of us expected it was from the beginning.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    It is voluntary to move there, and some people want to live in neighborhoods with rules. I don't like it anymore than you, but they should have the freedom to do so, HOAs are much better than zoning which is anti-property rights.

Rand Paul doesn't seem to have any complaints lodged against him by the HOA, according to others who are on the board. The only guy who is saying Rand had broken HOA rules is a Rhino who has attacked him politically in the past.

This is looking more and more like a political attack every day, as most of us expected it was from the beginning.
    HOAs couldn't exist in their present form if the government didn't allow them to force themselves on the minority that didn't sign up willingly, if they couldn't force the unwilling to be subjugated then even fewer would sign on and they would basically not exist.

It is like unionizing a workplace in a non-right to work state, either the government needs to stop giving the unions unnatural power or it needs to make them let you opt out.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Some people just want a house for their family near good schools.
    #NashvilleStrong

HOAs couldn't exist in their present form if the government didn't allow them to force themselves on the minority that didn't sign up willingly, if they couldn't force the unwilling to be subjugated then even fewer would sign on and they would basically not exist.

It is like unionizing a workplace in a non-right to work state, either the government needs to stop giving the unions unnatural power or it needs to make them let you opt out.
    HOAs have nothing to do with the government, they are private contracts.

Let's say you had two separate large plots of land that you wanted to sub-divide.

One of them you subdivide and sell off. The other you subdivide, then when you sell the property you have the buyer sign a contract that says they are going to be giving up a portion of their property rights to live under HOA rules.

Some people are going to prefer to live with full property rights and they will pay for the property the value which they attribute that to.

Others may prefer to live under HOA rules so they can restrict their neighbor's property rights, under private contract.

So depending on the type of personalities in the community, it may be that the subdivided lots on the HOA property go for more money, or the lots on the 'free' property may go for more money.. and depending on the outcome of that experiment would tell you what the free market wants, and that is what you would actually want to do if you had property.

It is sad, I think, that there are so many HOAs... but what is even more sad is that it would be impossible to convince a lot of people that we need to give up zoning laws if HOAs don't exist.. whereas you sometimes CAN convince people to nix zoning laws which are far more oppresive in favor of HOAs..
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Not when you buy a house in a neighborhood with a HOA like Rand did. You pretty much agree to be subjected to their rules when you purchase the home.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by angelatc View Post
    Not when you buy a house in a neighborhood with a HOA like Rand did. You pretty much agree to be subjected to their rules when you purchase the home.
    FTFY

You buy a house in a neighborhood with an HOA and someone is free to build one next to yours and attack you violently.

“In fact, the Pauls’ lot looks almost exactly the same today as it did 17 years ago when Dr. Boucher and his ex-wife chose their lot and built their house next door.”

And there lies the rub. By what operation does purchasing a house convey control over that house to a commercial entity called an "HOA". Why can't someone simply strike any language from the deed of trust and other purchase documents agreeing to abide by an HOA? Then file official notice to the HOA of denial of agreement to covenants. The reason people get locked up with HOAs is because they sign the contracts pledging to agree to them, never realizing they can legally deny them. Does anybody really think the bank will cease the mortgage process or the seller will kill the sale just because the buyer tells the HOA to stick it?
    "Let it not be said that we did nothing."-Ron Paul

"We have set them on the hobby-horse of an idea about the absorption of individuality by the symbolic unit of COLLECTIVISM. They have never yet and they never will have the sense to reflect that this hobby-horse is a manifest violation of the most important law of nature, which has established from the very creation of the world one unit unlike another and precisely for the purpose of instituting individuality."- A Quote From Some Old Book

Quote Originally Posted by devil21 View Post
    And there lies the rub. By what operation does purchasing a house convey control over that house to a commercial entity called an "HOA".
    It's in the deed.

It's in the deed.

I call them dirty deeds.

I call them dirty deeds.
    What kind of nonsense is it to allow a former owner to taint a deed for all time without any way to remove the vile submission anyway?
    I say it is fraud to claim that "ownership" is being transferred in these transactions.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

What kind of nonsense is it to allow a former owner to taint a deed for all time without any way to remove the vile submission anyway?
    I say it is fraud to claim that "ownership" is being transferred in these transactions.
    You can claim that Mars is aiming Death Rays at you but it doesn't make it true.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast