Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Trump to declare national emergency for border wall after signing spending bill

Quote Originally Posted by kcchiefs6465 View Post
    Oh okay. Here I thought he was expanding executive powers faster than Clinton. Here Trump is scaling back executive overreach in the same sense that proposed budget increase decreases constitute slashing spending.

I'm not sure what you're saying when you're comparing Trump to Clinton, but it sounds like a money comparison.
    Either way, I would still guess that the largest percentage debt and deficit were under FDR.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCount View Post
    ...I believe that when the government is capable of doing a thing, it will.
    Quote Originally Posted by Influenza View Post
    which one of yall fuckers wrote the "ron paul" racist news letters
    Quote Originally Posted by Dforkus View Post
    Zippy's posts are a great contribution.

Disrupt, Deny, Deflate. Read the RPF trolls' playbook here (post #3): http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...eptive-members

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    He already set that before this emergency, can't you remember what the subject is for two minutes at a time or is this just some stupid attempt to distract from the fact that you are wrong?
    And when he did that before it was a bad precedent. He's expanding on the bad precedent. I'm not wrong. You're just retarded. But that is nothing new to me. Also you don't even understand the meaning of the word "precedent." When courts refer to precedent they don't just talk about the first time something happens but all of the precedent.
    9/11 Thermate experiments

Winston Churchhill on why the U.S. should have stayed OUT of World War I

"I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

"We as a country have lost faith and confidence in freedom." -- Ron Paul

"It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.

You are changing the subject, this isn't about face scanning cameras, we were talking about whether Trump's emergency declaration set some kind of dangerous new precedent. It didn't.
    Look at the thread title. Of course Trump's invasive domestic spy gear is germane to the topic. Your attempt to censor us is childish, churlish and ineffective.

Get over it.

Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    And he gets neither.
    Last edited by acptulsa; 02-16-2019 at 09:01 AM.
    We believe our lying eyes...

I’m sure I’ve missed all kinds of stimulating debate on the subject, but these “National Emergencies” declared by the President should be unconstitutional. When we have these edicts outstanding for decades, they are not emergencies in any sense of the word. They are policy with the weight of law. True emergencies should be like war, with a declaration from Congress.

If this goes to the Supreme Court, the best outcome would be to rule the entire concept unconstitutional, and declare all outstanding POTUS declared “national emergencies” null and void.

How much leeway the executive branch has to move around funds and fulfill it’s duty as the executive branch may be debatable, but this “emergency declaration” power should definitely lie with Congress, not the POTUS.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Trump worried about unconstitutional power grabs as he tries to seize the power of spending from Congress to build his wall. "So Third World!
    You have to obey the law!"

Fox News: https://www.foxnews.com/politics/tru...r-davis-hanson

Messina pointed out that during his news conference, President Trump admitted that he “didn’t need” to declare a national emergency but that he did so to expedite funding for the wall, which Messina concluded made the event the “definition of not an emergency.

“This is a troubling move by a president. The framers put together a Constitution to make sure that there was separation of powers and not to have kings. And I think the president is right, he’s going to spend a lot of time in court,” Messina said.

Benson seemed to agree with the sentiment, calling Trump’s decision “politically questionable” and “legally dubious.”

Frankly, as a conservative, I hope he loses in court on this because I do not want a precedent where presidents can get rejected or stymied by Congress and go ahead and do what they want anyhow."
    Fox Poll: https://www.foxnews.com/politics/fox-news-poll-2-13-19

If Congress does not approve funding for a wall, would you support or oppose the president bypassing Congress and declaring a national emergency on the nation’s southern border that would give him the executive power to construct a border wall without congressional approval?

Favor: 38%
    Oppose: 56%
    Don't Know: 6
    Last edited by Zippyjuan; 02-16-2019 at 04:26 PM.

He said he didn't need to sign the bill, he didn't say he didn't need to declare the emergency.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

He said he didn't need to sign the bill, he didn't say he didn't need to declare the emergency.
    Context:

"I could do the wall over a longer period of time. I didn't need to do this," Trump told reporters gathered in the White House Rose Garden on Friday, shortly before he signed a proclamation declaring the emergency. "But I'd rather do it much faster."
    https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ys/2881619002/
    Last edited by Zippyjuan; 02-16-2019 at 04:49 PM.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    It was also shortly AFTER he signed the bill.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Signing the bill doesn't "build the wall much faster" but signing the State of Emergency does.

"But I'd rather do it much faster."

Signing the bill doesn't "build the wall much faster" but signing the State of Emergency does.
    Yes it does.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Yes it does.
    How so? It funded 55 miles. Is that "fast" building of his wall? Trump wanted 2000 miles. Then 500 miles. Then 500 miles including replacing existing wall. $1.8 billion was enough when he wanted $20 billion, or is it now $5 billion?
    Last edited by Zippyjuan; 02-16-2019 at 05:01 PM.

How so? It funded 55 miles.
    It ended the shutdown fight and gave him the justification to declare the emergency now.
    If he hadn't signed the bill and had declared the emergency he would have been attacked for not signing anything Congress sent him with or without any wall finding in it.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

You only show up to attack Trump when he is wrong
    Make America the Land of the Free & the Home of the Brave again

It ended the shutdown fight and gave him the justification to declare the emergency now.
    If he hadn't signed the bill and had declared the emergency he would have been attacked for not signing anything Congress sent him with or without any wall finding in it.
    Your claim was that signing the bill built the wall faster. But if that was the case, there was no reason to declare an emergency.

Yes it does.

Your claim was that signing the bill built the wall faster. But if that was the case, there was no reason to declare an emergency.
    Yes there was, the bill didn't provide enough money to deal with the emergency situation.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by RonZeplin View Post
    That is Fake News as I have been explaining.

Are you now going open borders publicly?
    I thought you were mad that Trump hasn't done more to stop the invasion?

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

False dichotomy. Saying more wall is not necessary is not saying the borders should be open. Trump himself has tweeted the border is secure. (see my sig). Ron Paul is against more border wall. Rand Paul is against Trump declaring an emergency. Would you say they are "open borders"? Why are you against the principles of the forum?

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...cy-Declaration

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...onal-Emergency
    Last edited by Zippyjuan; 02-16-2019 at 05:29 PM.

False dichotomy. Saying more wall is not necessary is not saying the borders should be open. Trump himself has tweeted the border is secure. (see my sig). Ron Paul is against more border wall. Rand Paul is against Trump declaring an emergency. Why are you against the principles of the forum?

The border is not secure, Trump was using hyperbola as he often does and he was speaking relatively, RonZ is not against the wall, he is just a terminal TDS victim, I do not support the wall because I want increased patrols instead but there is an emergency and the President has both legal and Constitutional authority to repel invasions, I am for the principles of the forum and you are not, Ron may be absolutely opposed to the wall and the emergency declaration but that doesn't make either part of the fundamental principles of this site.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

The border is not secure, Trump was using hyperbola as he often does and he was speaking relatively, RonZ is not against the wall, he is just a terminal TDS victim, I do not support the wall because I want increased patrols instead but there is an emergency and the President has both legal and Constitutional authority to repel invasions, I am for the principles of the forum and you are not, Ron may be absolutely opposed to the wall and the emergency declaration but that doesn't make either part of the fundamental principles of this site.
    Yes, Trump does use hyperbole. And facts and even his own experts show there is not the crisis at the border he is trying to portray it as. He is trying to create and exploit a situation to grab more power. That is why Rand and Ron oppose what he is trying to do.

Yes, Trump does use hyperbole. And facts and even his own experts show there is not the crisis at the border he is trying to portray it as. He is trying to create and exploit a situation to grab more power. That is why Rand and Ron oppose what he is trying to do.
    Facts show there is a crisis, an existential crisis for America and liberty.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

What is he saying that he didn't need to do, and could do over a longer period of time?

Whether it's his emergency declaration or the omnibus, being able to do it over a longer period of time means it's not an emergency.

Facts show there is a crisis, an existential crisis for America and liberty.
    You got in most of your key words from the web control guidebook. Don't worry about facts not supporting you. Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by Superfluous Man View Post
    What is he saying that he didn't need to do, and could do over a longer period of time?

Whether it's his emergency declaration or the omnibus, being able to do it over a longer period of time means it's not an emergency.
    Signing the bill and ending the shutdown fight was not an emergency but it allowed him to declare the emergency to deal with the invasion which is an emergency.

Shutdown =/= emergency
    Invasion = emergency

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    You got in most of your key words from the web control guidebook. Don't worry about facts not supporting you. Good job!

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Signing the bill and ending the shutdown fight was not an emergency but it allowed him to declare the emergency to deal with the invasion which is an emergency.

Shutdown =/= emergency
    Invasion = emergency
    The beginning of the quote was, "I could do the wall over a longer period of time."

Not, "I could stretch out the shutdown for a longer period of time."

According to Trump, there is no immediate emergency requiring that he build the wall faster than he could do over whatever longer period of time he means. He merely would rather do it faster than that.

Quote Originally Posted by Superfluous Man View Post
    The beginning of the quote was, "I could do the wall over a longer period of time."

Not, "I could stretch out the shutdown for a longer period of time."

According to Trump, there is no immediate emergency requiring that he build the wall faster than he could do over whatever longer period of time he means. He merely would rather do it faster than that.
    I could wait longer to put out the fire in my house but that doesn't mean it isn't an emergency.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Why are you against the principles of the forum?

You might want to take a look at some of those yourself, chief.

1) Be ethical.

• Be honest and truthful.

2) Treat others with respect.

• Do not make accusations, declarations on others' character, question their motives, be judgmental, assign them to a group or make any other negative personal commentary of members.
    • No insulting, antagonizing or personally attacking other users.
    • Do not suggest that other members should leave or that they otherwise don't belong here.

3) Support our Mission.

• No promoting agendas that counter our Mission.

4) Be orderly.

• New topics must be posted in the best fit forum.
    • New topics must provide substantive value to the discourse of that forum.

5) Elevate the level of discourse.

• No rude, disruptive or disorderly behavior, including excessive low-value posting.

6) Do not disrupt Mission-supporting activism efforts.

• Non-functional criticism of Mission-supporting activism is outside the scope of the site's Mission.
    • Constructive opposition to an effort must be made outside of the activism / politicians forum and/or discussion.

7) Do not promote your business, website, fundraising efforts or other websites without assuring it is in line with accepted parameters.

• All users promoting anything they have an interest in must disclose this interest.

Disallowed elements:

• No promotions that counter the site's Mission or Community Guidelines.
    • No promotions that can be viewed as fraudulent ventures or scams.
    • No spam.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCount View Post
    ...I believe that when the government is capable of doing a thing, it will.
    Quote Originally Posted by Influenza View Post
    which one of yall fuckers wrote the "ron paul" racist news letters
    Quote Originally Posted by Dforkus View Post
    Zippy's posts are a great contribution.

Disrupt, Deny, Deflate. Read the RPF trolls' playbook here (post #3): http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...eptive-members

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCarolinaLiberty View Post
    You might want to take a look at some of those yourself, chief.
    Those are hardly ever enforced and when they are the enforcement is uneven.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Thumbs down Amnesty Bill of Love soon - meanwhile sanctuary and freebies, gov cheeze

A wall is not the best solution to restoring US sovereignty, but it's a small part of it.

The state of emergency is political theater, now Donnell will try to claim that the border is really secure this time, and millions of invaders who made it here deserve a "Bill of Love" amnesty because he has a big heart, like Jeb!

All the while refusing to obey his oath of office and deport the illegal aliens, but instead providing sanctuary until he can get an amnesty "Bill of Love" passed in Congress. Is he trying to remove gov "freebies" for his Dreamy Students? No, but he added farm subsidies to the many other socialist programs that he provides for them.
    You only show up to attack Trump when he is wrong
    Make America the Land of the Free & the Home of the Brave again

Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast