Thread: Romney Voices Aggressive Stance Toward Iran

Romney Voices Aggressive Stance Toward Iran

This guy is writing checks without checking his account balance. He want's the job so bad he'll say anything.
    -----------------------------------------------------------

"Pentagon officials have spoken publicly about the difficulty of such a strike and American officials have expressed concern about the destabilizing effect such military action could have in the region, even if carried out successfully."

"Over the course of the day, Romney will confront some of the world's most difficult peace and security challenges as he looks to demonstrate to Jewish and evangelical voters back home that he's a better friend to Israel than Obama."

"The trip is a chance for Romney to draw implicit contrasts with Obama and demonstrate how he would lead America on the world stage."

http://abcnews.go.com/International/...-home-16880066
    "The Patriarch"

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I guess Israel is going to elect our President...

yeah and The One occupying the WH Throne is also the one the Russians/Chinese/Indians will award with a drumhead court martial when the Empire goes down.

Quote Originally Posted by Working Poor View Post
    It sure appears that way, doesn't it?
    "The Patriarch"

Ugh, it does feel that way. I can't believe how badly Romney is sucking up to Netanyahu, he is running for POTUS not Prime Minister of Israel.
    "Power tends to confuse itself with virtue...conferring upon it a special responsibility for other nations—to make them richer and happier and wiser, to remake them, that is, in its own shining image. Power confuses itself with virtue and tends also to take itself for omnipotence. Once imbued with the idea of a mission, a great nation easily assumes that it has the means as well as the duty to do God's work." - William Fulbright

It would scarcely be an exaggeration to say that they always do.

This is a very telling article:

http://news.yahoo.com/obama-romney-c...075343032.html

For all the wooing of American Jews in presidential campaigns, those who say Israel's fate drives their vote make up 6 percent of a reliably Democratic bloc. The tiny numbers are overlaid with an outsize influence. Campaign donations from Jews or Jewish and pro-Israel groups account for as much as 60 percent of Democratic money, and groups such as the American Israel Public Affairs Committee can bring strong pressure on candidates.
    Small numbers don't matter when you have BIG money with which to buy influence. I don't know how much Republican money comes from the Israel lobby, but regardless, the neocon GOP is even more aggressive than the Democrats about pushing for wars that benefit Israel.

Another very powerful lobby is the "defense" industry. Companies like Lockheed Martin and Raytheon invest big bucks in lobbying. The return on their investment is war.

The interests of these two lobbies dovetail when it comes to waging wars against Arab countries that Israel wants out of the way.
    Last edited by GuerrillaXXI; 07-29-2012 at 02:56 PM.
    "Man lives freely only by his readiness to die." -- Mohandas K. Gandhi

"Generally speaking, the way of the warrior is resolute acceptance of death." -- Miyamoto Musashi

I just don't understand how this behavior and the standard excessive love for Israel is acceptable to the American people. I can only guess that people fear being called and anti-Semite and the strong Jewish presence in the media keeps this from ever being debated.
    "Unlike my opponents, I'm not running from my voting record. I'm not running from my public statements. I'm not running from my predictions. I'm running on them." -Ron Paul

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." - H.L. Mencken

I am a non-interventionist,anti-Fed, anti-drug war socially conservative Paul supporter(i.e. paleocon)

Quote Originally Posted by Hyperion View Post
    I just don't understand how this behavior and the standard excessive love for Israel is acceptable to the American people. I can only guess that people fear being called and anti-Semite and the strong Jewish presence in the media keeps this from ever being debated.
    Go on a neocon site such as townhall etc. and suggest Israel take care of itself and feel the heat. It's a kneejerk, conditioned response. And they will definetely accuse you of being anti-Semite.
    "The Patriarch"

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I blame Faux News and the neo-con "pastors" such as Hagee for selling Americans on the Israel-first policies.
    "Power tends to confuse itself with virtue...conferring upon it a special responsibility for other nations—to make them richer and happier and wiser, to remake them, that is, in its own shining image. Power confuses itself with virtue and tends also to take itself for omnipotence. Once imbued with the idea of a mission, a great nation easily assumes that it has the means as well as the duty to do God's work." - William Fulbright

It's a quite message Romney is sending, attempting to target only those who are listening closely. Why else would he do it during the starting weekend of the Olympics? He has the ability to lose as many voters as he gains. Swing states are now beginning to swing along anti-Zionist lines as much as Zionist. Romney knows that.

You think wagging your tail and begging for Sheldon Adelson's money is good for publicity? I don't think so and Romney knows there are potential problems with it.

War mongering and Zio-mongering played a role in McCain's defeat. People don't talk so much about it and it's impossible to pick up with the polls, but if you look at the demographics and voting patterns, it's definitely there.

Quote Originally Posted by seyferjm View Post
    I blame Faux News and the neo-con "pastors" such as Hagee for selling Americans on the Israel-first policies.
    Hagee scares me. Christian Zionists scare me. Its strange because they believe the Jews will be converted as Christians so we must do whatever it takes to make Israel Jewish and ethnically cleanse the native inhabitants - the Palestianians.

Effing amazing how close we are to doing so.
    If you tell the truth, you don't have to remember anything.

Quote Originally Posted by liveandletlive View Post
    Hagee scares me. Christian Zionists scare me. Its strange because they believe the Jews will be converted as Christians so we must do whatever it takes to make Israel Jewish and ethnically cleanse the native inhabitants - the Palestianians.

Effing amazing how close we are to doing so.
    I grew up in rapture freak communities. Thankfully, I grew to reject it all, but I know plenty of people both friends and family who still honestly believe that we should be basing our foreign policy on their apocalyptic fantasies. The scariest part is that they have people in positions of influence who believe the same $#@! they do. People like Bachmann and Santorum keep me awake at night.
    ...but when the trumpets blew again and the knights charged, the name they cried was "Stannis! Stannis! STANNIS!"

I've grown up a Christian most of my life, and explaining to others that we (the US) should in no base all our decisions around Israel is very hard to explain. I'm breaking through to my parents finally, but I almost fear talking to other Christians about the topic.

& Rand Paul endorsed Romney.

-amazing-

Quote Originally Posted by vita3 View Post
    & Rand Paul endorsed Romney.

-amazing-
    I expect in 4 years we will have a picture of Rand wearing a yamulke and kissing The Wall.
    "The journalist is one who separates the wheat from the chaff, and then prints the chaff." - Adlai Stevenson

“I tell you that virtue does not come from money: but from virtue comes money and all other good things to man, both to the individual and to the state.” - Socrates

I've grown up a Christian most of my life, and explaining to others that we (the US) should in no base all our decisions around Israel is very hard to explain. I'm breaking through to my parents finally, but I almost fear talking to other Christians about the topic.
    I'm with you. It's weird to be a Christian and talk about not being in support of Israel-firsting. I think there are more of us every day.
    "Unlike my opponents, I'm not running from my voting record. I'm not running from my public statements. I'm not running from my predictions. I'm running on them." -Ron Paul

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." - H.L. Mencken

I am a non-interventionist,anti-Fed, anti-drug war socially conservative Paul supporter(i.e. paleocon)

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    That brings back this 2012 Hit from Medeval Dark Age Crusader, Gary Bauer, who serves on the Executive Board of Christians United for Israel, a lobby group headed by John Hagee. Barbarian Bauer was one of the signers of the Statement of Principles of Project for the New American Century (PNAC) NEOCON war Drum PAC on June 3, 1997. He also serves on the board of the recently formed, right-wing Emergency Committee for Israel, Gary Bauer is a NUT.

http://www.rightweb.irc-online.org/profile/bauer_gary

Checkout this loon in a South Carolina Ad:

Last edited by HOLLYWOOD; 07-31-2012 at 10:10 AM.
    The American Dream, Wake Up People, This is our country! <===click

"All eyes are opened, or opening to the rights of man, let the annual return of this day(July 4th), forever refresh our recollections of these rights, and an undiminished devotion to them."
    Thomas Jefferson
    June 1826

Rock The World!
    USAF Veteran

I feel your pain. I have found it extremely difficult to reason with people who communicate so extensively through email forwards with all caps subject lines.
    ...but when the trumpets blew again and the knights charged, the name they cried was "Stannis! Stannis! STANNIS!"

Quote Originally Posted by HOLLYWOOD View Post
    That brings back this 2012 Hit from Medeval Dark Age Crusader, Gary Bauer, who serves on the Executive Board of Christians United for Israel, a lobby group headed by John Hagee. Barbarian Bauer was one of the signers of the Statement of Principles of Project for the New American Century (PNAC) NEOCON war Drum PAC on June 3, 1997. He also serves on the board of the recently formed, right-wing Emergency Committee for Israel, Gary Bauer is a NUT.

http://www.rightweb.irc-online.org/profile/bauer_gary

Checkout this loon in a South Carolina Ad:

The Emergency Committee for Israel? I think it's a little past time for a Emergency Committee for the United States.
    Last edited by Origanalist; 07-31-2012 at 09:11 PM.
    "The Patriarch"

This pandering has got to be about fund raising. Is there a dichotomy emerging? The idea that you can swing Florida by pandering to Israel is fiction. It appears that Israel pandering is more about fund raising with a small but growing loss of popular support.

http://www.quinnipiac.edu/institutes...ReleaseID=1781

Florida: Obama edges Romney 51- 45 percent;
    Ohio: Obama over Romney by a slim 50 - 44 percent;
    Pennsylvania: Obama tops Romney 53 - 42 percent.

Quote Originally Posted by liveandletlive View Post
    Hagee scares me. Christian Zionists scare me.
    Most have been victims of a massive disinformation campaign as well.
    They think it will somehow speed Christ's return. though there is no scriptural basis for that.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

__________________________________________________ ________________
    "A politician will do almost anything to keep their job, even become a patriot" - Hearst

"Preventive war was an invention of Hitler. Frankly, I would not even listen to anyone seriously that came and talked about such a thing" -Dwight D Eisenhower

Obama, Iran and preventive war

http://www.salon.com/2012/03/05/obam...war/singleton/

In order to forestall an Israeli attack, the President binds the U.S. to a conflict with Iran to stop Iranian nukes
    By Glenn Greenwald

President Barack Obama addresses the American Israel Public Affairs Committee (AIPAC)
    Policy Conference opening plenary session in Washington, Sunday, March 4, 2012.
    (Credit: AP Photo/Cliff Owen)
    (updated below – Update II)

President Obama yesterday joined virtually every U.S. political leader in both parties in making the obligatory, annual pilgrimage and oath-taking to AIPAC: a bizarre ritual if you think about it. During his speech, he repeatedly emphasized that he “has Israel’s back,” rightfully noting that his actions in office prove this (“At every crucial juncture – at every fork in the road – we have been there for Israel. Every single time”). One of his goals was commendable — to persuade the Israelis not to attack Iran right now – but in order to accomplish that, he definitively vowed, as McClatchy put it, that “he’d call for military action to prevent Iran from securing a nuclear weapon.” In other words, he categorically committed the U.S. to an offensive military attack on Iran in order to prevent that country from acquiring a nuclear weapon; as AP put it: “President Barack Obama said Sunday the United States will not hesitate to attack Iran with military force to prevent it from acquiring a nuclear weapon.”

Is that not the classic case of a “preventive” war (as opposed to a “preemptive” war), once unanimously scorned by progressives as “radical” and immoral when the Bush administration and its leading supporters formally adopted it as official national security doctrine in 2002? Back in 2010, Newsweek‘s Michael Hirsh documented the stark, fundamental similarities between the war theories formally adopted by both administrations in their national security strategies, but here we have the Bush administration’s most controversial war theory explicitly embraced: that the U.S. has the right not only to attack another country in order to preempt an imminent attack (pre-emptive war), but even to prevent some future, speculative threat (preventive war). Indeed, this was precisely the formulation George Bush invoked for years when asked about Iran. This theory of preventive war continues to be viewed around the world as patently illegal — Brazil’s Foreign Affairs Minister last week said of the “all-options-on-the-table” formulation for Iran: some of those options “are contrary to international law” — and before 2009, the notion of “preventive war” was universally scorned by progressives.
    Again, one can find justifications, even rational ones, for President Obama’s inflexible commitment of a military attack on Iran: particularly, that this vow is necessary to stop the Israelis from attacking now (though it certainly seems that the U.S. would have ample leverage to prevent an Israeli attack if it really wanted to without commiting itself to a future attack on Iran). And I’ve noted many times that I believe that the Obama administration — whether for political and/or strategic reasons — does seem genuinely to want to avoid a war with Iran, at least for now.
    But what this really shows, as was true for the run-up to the Iraq War, is how suffocatingly narrow the permissive debate has become. The so-called “gulf” between Israel and the U.S. — the two viable sides of the debate — consists of these views:

(1) Iran should be attacked when it develops the capacity to develop nuclear weapons (Israel) or

(2)
    Iran should be attacked only once it decides to actually develop a nuclear weapon (the U.S.). Those are the two permissible options, both grounded in the right and even duty to attack Iran even if they’re threatening to attack nobody — i.e., a preventive war. That it’s unjustified to attack Iran in the absence of an actual or imminent threat of attack by Iran, or that international law (as expressed by the U.N. Charter) bars the use of threats of military attack, or that Iran could be contained even if it acquired a nuclear weapon, has been removed from the realm of mainstream debate (meaning: the debate shaped by the two political parties). Obama yesterday:
    Iran’s leaders should understand that I do not have a policy of containment; I have a policy to prevent Iran from obtaining a nuclear weapon. And as I have made clear time and again during the course of my presidency, I will not hesitate to use force when it is necessary to defend the United States and its interests.
    Just as was true in 2002 and early 2003, everyone agrees that a preventive war would be justifiable and may be necessary, and the only permitted debate is whether it should happen now or a bit later (where should the “red lines” be?).
    Whatever else is true, by having President Obama issue these clear and inflexible threats against Iran to which the nation is now bound, the once-controversial notion of “preventive war” just became much more normalized and bipartisan. Witness the virtually complete lack of objections to President Obama’s threats from either party to see how true that is.
    Several other items of note:
    (1) I have a contribution to the New York Times this morning on the question of whether the GOP faces its “last gasp”;
    (2) Politico‘s Josh Gerstein has an excellent article on President Obama’s hideous record on transparency, including this quote from a long-time Washington lawyer: “Obama is the sixth administration that’s been in office since I’ve been doing Freedom of Information Act work. … It’s kind of shocking to me to say this, but of the six, this administration is the worst on FOIA issues. The worst. There’s just no question about it.” The obsequious “transparency groups” which gave Obama a transparency award in 2011 (one he revealingly accepted in secret) should feel about as proud of themselves as the 2009 Nobel Peace Prize committee;
    (3) The National Iranian American Council has a full-page ad in today’s Washington Post urging Obama away from a military confrontation with Iran, and notably not only relies on quotes from numerous top military officials, but also includes a statement signed by multiple military leaders;
    (4) Juan Cole has an excellent analysis of how the sanctions regime the U.S. is imposing on Iran in order to forestall an Israeli attack is harmful to U.S. national interests; and,
    (5) Attorney General Eric Holder is scheduled today to deliver a speech in which he will reportedly “explain how the U.S. can legally kill U.S. citizens on foreign soil.” Apparently, he will also, in the very same speech, trumpet how the U.S. Government has “successfully used civilian courts to convict and sentence terrorists.” Perhaps he’ll try to reconcile those two thoughts. One also wonders if his speech will contain a justification for this. I’ll likely write about Holder’s assassination-justifying speech later today.

UPDATE: Time reports on the reaction — the “overwhelmingly positive” reaction — to Obama’s speech in Israel:
    “Those disappointed by Obama’s speech yesterday, and it turns out there are such people, claim that he didn’t make a clear commitment to a military strike,” wrote Ben-Dror Yemini in the daily Ma’ariv. ”Come on, really. He couldn’t be clearer.”
    Yemini, a plain-spoken conservative regarded as the voice of the workaday Israeli, heard in Obama’s warnings to Iran’s ayatollahs the bass rumble of Israel’s right-wing political establishment. ”He didn’t say he would vote for the Likud. But aside from that, one should pay attention, he sounded almost like the Likud leader,” Yemini said. . . .
    The analysts were no less enthusiastic in Yedioth Ahronoth, the largest paid daily. ”Yesterday Obama gave Israel’s citizens a good reason to be friends of his,” wrote Sima Kadmon, under the headline: “Shalom, Friend.” “His speech was aimed directly at our nerve center, at our strongest existential fears. Obama promised us that the United States would not accept nuclear weapons; it simply would not permit their existence….It was a good speech for us, even an excellent one. We heard in it everything we wanted to hear—and heard that we have someone to rely upon.”
    I’m not sure that’s true — as I indicated, part of what Obama was doing was denying Netanyahu’s demands that the American “red line” be moved to where the Israeli “red line” is — but it is true that the U.S. categorically vowed to use its own military to prevent Iran from acquiring a nuclear weapon. Watch for Democratic operatives, pundits, cable news outlets and think tanks to herald all of this — Israelis celebrate that Obama sounded like the Likud leader and gave them everything they “wanted to hear” – as though it’s a good thing.
    Last edited by HOLLYWOOD; 08-04-2012 at 11:25 AM.
    The American Dream, Wake Up People, This is our country! <===click

"All eyes are opened, or opening to the rights of man, let the annual return of this day(July 4th), forever refresh our recollections of these rights, and an undiminished devotion to them."
    Thomas Jefferson
    June 1826

Rock The World!
    USAF Veteran

Romney is all but guaranteed to attack Iran if he wins. Americans thinking it is OK to attack another country just because their TV said they were bad people are the reason there is no hope for this nation. This nation will fall. The best we can hope for right now is to delay its fall, but I don't see it being stopped.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Why did Rand endorse this war-monger before the Republican convention that thousands of Ron Paul supporters have planned to go to?