View Poll Results: Gov shut over $5B Wall funding; which side will fold?

Voters
15. You may not vote on this poll
  • Pelosi will fold

2 13.33%
  • MAGA will fold

6 40.00%
  • No one will fold, no end in sight to gov shut

5 33.33%
  • Other/not sure

2 13.33%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Gov shut over $5B Wall funding; which side will fold?

Quote Originally Posted by enhanced_deficit View Post
    Media commentaries are claiming MAGA is folding again.

Published 11 hours ago

Lawmakers reach 'agreement in principle' in border security talks, with $1.3B for barrier

Sources tell Fox News the $1.3 billion can be used only for new construction that would cover approximately 55 miles of border territory in the Rio Grande Valley.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/law...3b-for-barrier
    The Shutdown is coming.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by enhanced_deficit View Post
    Media commentaries are claiming MAGA is folding again.

Published 11 hours ago

Lawmakers reach 'agreement in principle' in border security talks, with $1.3B for barrier

Sources tell Fox News the $1.3 billion can be used only for new construction that would cover approximately 55 miles of border territory in the Rio Grande Valley.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/law...3b-for-barrier
    I imagine he'll go ahead with this deal. He'll take the $1.3 and I heard he can appropriate another billion from else where. That will get the ball rolling. He'll bide his time until there is something the Dems want then negotiate. Either that or he will just declare an emergency and put the military on it.

Quote Originally Posted by EBounding View Post
    I think Trump will fold. Within the next 3 weeks, Trump will sign whatever spending to end the shut down and say he's going to use the military to build some sort of wall monument. But it'll be illegal and he'll be blocked from doing it. But he'll get big MAGA credit for trying. THE END

Dang. I thought he'd be a little more True Alpha Male and at least try declaring an emergency.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/trump-i...d=breakingnews

*Trump Is Expected to Sign Border-Security Deal -- Sources

*Deal Would Keep Government Open Past Friday

*Deal Allocates $1.38 Billion for 55 miles of Physical Barriers, Falling Short of Trump’s Wall Asks

(More to come)

Attacks like Hannity's 'garbage compromise' and memes like these do not help.

FOLDS LIKE A BEACH TENT

Dang. I thought he'd be a little more True Alpha Male and at least try declaring an emergency.

Good call.

It's bit surprising that quite a few of vocal MAGA supporters here lately have been predicting the opposite of what MAGA ends up doing.

6. Remove this section of ads by registering.

That's what they said before the last shutdown.

Anonymous sources are worthless.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    That's what they said before the last shutdown.

Anonymous sources are worthless.
    Just hours after Steny Hoyer said a vote on the border funding compromise bill had been set for Thursday night, Republican members of the 17-lawmaker compromise committee have told Fox that some internal squabbling has erupted over the text of the bill. Georgia Congressman Tom Graves said the bill is "leaking oil" right now. He's recommending that the text of the bill be allowed to sit for a few days in the name of transparency. Graves is undecided on the bill, but if he bolts, it could possibly kill the compromise. Meanwhile, after announcing that he would sign the bill, President Trump said he will instead wait to see the text so he can look for "land mines."
    President Trump says he is looking for "landmines” in the deal reached by lawmakers and will take a "serious" look at it: "I don't want to see a shutdown. A shutdown would be a terrible thing ... I don't want to see another one, there's no reason for it" https://t.co/MCIhKvXzHR pic.twitter.com/pJRNkEIwYu
    — ABC News Politics (@ABCPolitics) February 13, 2019
    Fox reporter Chad Pegram has more details below:
    Text of border security bill expected to be available later today. But Hse won’t consider the legislation until Thurs night. That's to accommodate mbrs to attend funerals. Dingell here in DC. Other mbrs will go to NC for funeral of late GOP NC Rep Walter Jones
    — Chad Pergram (@ChadPergram) February 13, 2019
    On border security bill, one source close to the process told Fox they are “struggling” to finish the text of the bill. Another conservative source told Fox that the bill “is leaking oil right now.”
    On border security deal, Fox is told there is some internal GOP bickering…as Republicans feel they misplayed their hand. They could have had as much as $1.6 billion for the wall last year…but that number has now dropped to $1.375 billion.
    Border security conferee & appropriator Rep. Tom Graves (R-GA) could be a weather vane as to how the border security bill may go. Graves is undecided now. But if he bolts, other conservatives could too. Pelosi needs help from Dems to pass the bill. Can't do it w/just Dem votes
    Increasing chatter on Capitol Hill now about the need for an interim spending bill. Some members simply won’t be willing to vote on legislation this fast..just getting it dropped in their laps.
    Pausing to do a stopgap bill could kill the entire border security pkg. If the conferees let the package sit out there too long, the legislation, much like houseguests and fish, will start to smell after three days. That could scuttle the plan.
    GOP GA Rep & border security conferee Tom Graves on letting the bill be available for a few days before voting:
    In the name of transparency, that’s not a bad idea
    Appropriators say there has been no direct action on a stopgap spending bill. They fear that scenario because they feel it would be the death knell for the border security package
    The upshot: Markets continued their torrid post-Christmas gains on Wednesday under the assumption that a shutdown had been averted. But investors may have reacted too soon.

More at: https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2019-...d-shutdown-cnn

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Oh wait, here we go!

https://www.wsj.com/articles/lawmake...d=breakingnews

Breaking News...

*McConnell: Trump Said He Will Sign Spending Deal and Also Declare National Emergency

*McConnell: Senate Will Begin Votes At 3:30 on Spending Bill

*McConnell: Will Support Declaration of National Emergency

(More to Come)

"Other" - the government will not shutdown. Instead, they will shut down national parks, and the media will refer to the event as "the government shutdown".

Gulag Chief:
    "Article 58-1a, twenty five years... What did you get it for?"
    Gulag Prisoner: "For nothing at all."
    Gulag Chief: "You're lying... The sentence for nothing at all is 10 years"

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123