Thread: Judge refuses to perform homosexual marriage

Judge refuses to perform homosexual marriage

From Drudge;

OREGON JUDGE REFUSES TO PERFORM SAME-SEX MARRIAGES

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories...09-05-03-09-33

Marion County Judge Vance Day is being investigated by a judicial fitness commission in part over his refusal to perform same-sex marriages on religious grounds, a spokesman for the judge said.

When a federal court ruling in May 2014 made same-sex marriage legal in Oregon, Day instructed his staff to refer same-sex couples looking to marry to other judges, spokesman Patrick Korten said Friday.

Last fall, he decided to stop performing weddings altogether, aside from one in March that had long been scheduled, Korten said.

"He made a decision nearly a year ago to stop doing weddings altogether, and the principal factor that he weighed was the pressure that one would face to perform a same-sex wedding, which he had a conflict with his religious beliefs," Korten said.

In an email, Day declined to comment and referred questions to Korten.

The issue of same-sex weddings is "the weightiest" of several allegations against Day that are being investigated by the Commission on Judicial Fitness and Disability, Korten said.

He declined to detail any of the allegations, saying he didn't want to defy the commission, which considers complaints confidential until it is ready to make them public.

The investigation of Day's conduct comes amid heightened national attention to the responsibilities of public officials who oppose same-sex marriage. Kim Davis, a county clerk in Kentucky, went to jail Thursday because of her refusal to issue marriage licenses to same-sex couples.

Last month, the Ohio Supreme Court's Board of Professional Conduct said judges can't refuse to marry same-sex couples on personal, moral or religious grounds.

Judges who stop performing all marriages to avoid marrying same-sex couples may be interpreted as biased and could be disqualified from any case where sexual orientation is an issue, the Ohio board ruled.

The investigation of Day came to light Thursday when the Oregon Government Ethics Commission - a separate entity from the judicial fitness commission - approved the judge's request to create a legal defense fund to pay his lawyers.

Day, a former chairman of the Oregon Republican Party, was appointed to the bench in 2011 by then-Gov. John Kitzhaber, a Democrat.

Day's move concerned Jeana Frazzini, co-director of the gay-rights group Basic Rights Oregon.

"Taking that kind of a step really calls into question how an LGBTQ person could expect to be treated in a court of law," Frazzini said. "It goes beyond marriage and gets to serious questions about judicial integrity."

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    This guy is on the wrong side of history, **** rights are the civil rights issue of our time. Next thing you know they will be forced to sit at the back of the bus and drink from separate water fountains.
    "The Patriarch"

Oregon never legalized gay marriage, the courts forced it on them. It's sort of like the situation in Kentucky but a little bit earlier.
    Stop believing stupid things

I think if it was about "religion" we would have seen judges refusing to allow most divorces, most divorces are for convenience, not for cheating or abandonment.

So, how many divorces are invalid in a biblical sense? 80%, 90%. Lot's of people committing adultery by biblical standards for shame...

Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This guy is on the wrong side of history, **** rights are the civil rights issue of our time. Next thing you know they will be forced to sit at the back of the bus and drink from separate water fountains.
    One persons civil rights will always interfere with another persons right to not be subjected to them.

People will not be homogenous no matter the law.

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    One persons civil rights will always interfere with another persons right to not be subjected to them.

People will not be homogenous no matter the law.
    Yer just a hater.
    "The Patriarch"

We must celebrate homosexuality.
    "The Patriarch"

Teach the children to most importantly.
    "The Patriarch"

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    Yer just a hater.

xxxxx
    Last edited by Voluntarist; 07-03-2018 at 08:18 PM.
    You have the right to remain silent. Anything you post to the internet can and will be used to humiliate you.

xxxxx
    Last edited by Voluntarist; 06-27-2016 at 05:27 PM.
    You have the right to remain silent. Anything you post to the internet can and will be used to humiliate you.

Quote Originally Posted by Voluntarist View Post
    Still, government, through its representatives/agents, has to treat people as though they are homogenous. And government representatives/agents that can't do so shouldn't be part of government. (which, btw, is not an endorsement that anyone should be part of government ... but we're stuck with it, so those in it shouldn't bring their prejudices with them)
    Could be that it's this issue of homosexual "marriage" that brings this exercise in liberty crashing down?

I'd hoped for decades it would be drugs that society rallied behind but apparently the brainwashing is too deeply ingrained..

From my perspective there's about equal numbers of Christians opposed to ***** as there are citizens opposed to stoners with some overlap but the Christian faction is more organized and much harder for governments proponents to put down...

Problem in the instance of ***** wielding government as a cludgeon is that government is embedded with Evangelical Christians that aren't going to be used in such a manner...

Yet these same Evangelicals are perfectly happy to be used as a cludgeon against stoners..

It's a mess and it's going to get messier.

I am digging your thread titles. Carry on.

Government marriage is not a religious institution and these fundy idiots need to get that through their brains because they will lose every time in the courts.

Quote Originally Posted by Slave Mentality View Post
    I am digging your thread titles. Carry on.
    i'm finding them a bit childish. I haven't called anyone a "****" since I was in junior high. it's not that i'm pro "pc" terms, but i'm not wild about coming to this forum and seeing a thread title about "**** marriage'
    Seattle Sounders 2016 MLS Cup Champions 2019 MLS Cup Champions 2022 CONCACAF Champions League - and the [un]official football club of RPF

just a libertarian - no caucus

Quote Originally Posted by surf View Post
    i'm finding them a bit childish. I haven't called anyone a "****" since I was in junior high. it's not that i'm pro "pc" terms, but i'm not wild about coming to this forum and seeing a thread title about "**** marriage'
    Would you feel better if he called it by its full name, homosexual marriage?
    "The Patriarch"

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by thoughtomator View Post
    Government marriage is not a religious institution and these fundy idiots need to get that through their brains because they will lose every time in the courts.
    This^^
    I seem to recall that judges only do the legal aspect of the marriage, and it's therefore more appropriate to call it a "civil union". Judge probably ought to look at it that way.
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

Now this is starting to become interesting. San Francisco defies Federal law in creating a sanctuary city for criminal illegal aliens; yet, a clerk of court defies federal law by refusing to provide marriage certs. to same sex couples and she ends up in jail with NO BOND.

It will take more defiance at all levels to just tell the Supremes to f'k off. They cannot make laws, as they did in this situation. Totally unconstitutional.

I wonder if he also made a decision to remove himself, based upon religious grounds, from all cases involving divorce.
    You presume to know what is in his mind on a religious level....how funny.
    "Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it; no constitution, no law, no court can even do much to help it."
    James Madison

"It does not take a majority to prevail ... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men." - Samuel Adams

Μολὼν λάβε
    Dum Spiro, Pugno
    Tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito

Quote Originally Posted by Dianne View Post
    Now this is starting to become interesting. San Francisco defies Federal law in creating a sanctuary city for criminal illegal aliens; yet, a clerk of court defies federal law by refusing to provide marriage certs. to same sex couples and she ends up in jail with NO BOND.

It will take more defiance at all levels to just tell the Supremes to f'k off. They cannot make laws, as they did in this situation. Totally unconstitutional.
    I agree.

You
    "Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it; no constitution, no law, no court can even do much to help it."
    James Madison

"It does not take a majority to prevail ... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men." - Samuel Adams

Μολὼν λάβε
    Dum Spiro, Pugno
    Tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito

xxxxx

xxxxx

xxxxx
    Last edited by Voluntarist; 06-27-2016 at 05:28 PM.

OREGON JUDGE REFUSES TO PERFORM SAME-SEX MARRIAGES

I heard the couple John Fitzpatrick and Patrick Fitzjohn are suing over this.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Looks like the PC crowd ravaged this one.

... or he could have simply left it as it was in the headline he quoted, rather than translating it to something designed to evoke an adolescent reaction.
    He could have. Makes no difference, it's the same thing.
    "The Patriarch"

Quote Originally Posted by Slave Mentality View Post
    Looks like the PC crowd ravaged this one.
    Can't get away from them. They're like zombies.
    "The Patriarch"

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    Could be that it's this issue of homosexual "marriage" that brings this exercise in liberty crashing down?

I'd hoped for decades it would be drugs that society rallied behind but apparently the brainwashing is too deeply ingrained..

From my perspective there's about equal numbers of Christians opposed to ***** as there are citizens opposed to stoners with some overlap but the Christian faction is more organized and much harder for governments proponents to put down...

Problem in the instance of ***** wielding government as a cludgeon is that government is embedded with Evangelical Christians that aren't going to be used in such a manner...

Yet these same Evangelicals are perfectly happy to be used as a cludgeon against stoners..

It's a mess and it's going to get messier.
    Yep.
    There is no spoon.

No sympathy for govt agents. If they won't follow the law then neither should anybody else.