Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Full size FWD electric pickup truck with 300 mile range and 15 minute FULL recharge time

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCarolinaLiberty View Post
    If anyone can do it, Jerry can.

I thought they named it after Jerry, the first guy to run out of gas.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    Correct!!
    I wonder if the original spelling might have been Gerry can; credit to the German's usage of it.
    Another term I grew up hearing a lot was Gerry rigged, which meant , a German improvisations,
    a pejorative term, but it seems if I'm right, that the revisionists have morphed it into
    the term Jury rigged, they are the same crowd I believe as the ones that think robbery and theft
    are one in the same.

4. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Quote Originally Posted by TheCount View Post
    ...I believe that when the government is capable of doing a thing, it will.
    Quote Originally Posted by Influenza View Post
    which one of yall fuckers wrote the "ron paul" racist news letters
    Quote Originally Posted by Dforkus View Post
    Zippy's posts are a great contribution.

Disrupt, Deny, Deflate. Read the RPF trolls' playbook here (post #3): http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...eptive-members

If everyone switches to electric vehicles , lets say hypothetically by 2025 what is
    going to be the clean, safe and responsibly power source to feed the grid, are
    Electric Vehicles also going to 'solve' the perceived problem with CO2 in
    the bargain?

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    I've yet to be excited by any electric vehicles, but this one...maybe.

I'll believe it when I see it.

Do the batteries last longer than 5 years?
    1776 > 1984

The FAILURE of the United States Government to operate and maintain an
    Honest Money System , which frees the ordinary man from the clutches of the money manipulators, is the single largest contributing factor to the World's current Economic Crisis.

The Elimination of Privacy is the Architecture of Genocide

Belief, Money, and Violence are the three ways all people are controlled

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Our central bank is not privately owned.

I don't care what my car runs on. As long as it looks good.

Quote Originally Posted by TheCount View Post
    ...I believe that when the government is capable of doing a thing, it will.
    Quote Originally Posted by Influenza View Post
    which one of yall fuckers wrote the "ron paul" racist news letters
    Quote Originally Posted by Dforkus View Post
    Zippy's posts are a great contribution.

Disrupt, Deny, Deflate. Read the RPF trolls' playbook here (post #3): http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...eptive-members

OK, not going in depth, but a quick search yields the following. The Tesla home SuperCharger is about like the commercial 15 min. chargers. It supplies 90Kw of electricity. A 90Kw generator is gonna cost you around $25k and weigh around 2000#'s.

Huh?

That's basically every diesel/electric railroad locomotive that has been built since the 1920s to today.

ICE direct to Electric or ICE - Battery - Electric.

A true hybrid car, running direct electric drive with an onboard diesel engine to charge the batteries as needed when they drain could produce 125 MPG economy.
    Obviously we weren't talking about a hybrid engine, if that was the case then why ask what the equivalent of a jerrycan is to the truck? if the discussion was about a hybrid then you just bring a jerrycan and fill up the gas and case closed. But think about this way, do you think Tesla seperate generator engine just to charge the battery in the rare times you run out of gas if they made a truck? the answer is "hell no".

You don't add in a seperate engine just for charging. Hybrid engine I can understand but not a seperate one. Btw, the gasoline engine in hybrid engines do not chargee the batteries, the just power the vehicle until the next charge.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCarolinaLiberty View Post
    If anyone can do it, Jerry can.

I have always called it a jerrycan. And yea, jerrican, jerrycan or jerry can are correct spellings for it

Look it up.

Huh?

That's basically every diesel/electric railroad locomotive that has been built since the 1920s to today.

ICE direct to Electric or ICE - Battery - Electric.

A true hybrid car, running direct electric drive with an onboard diesel engine to charge the batteries as needed when they drain could produce 125 MPG economy.
    Look at the website of the Atlis XT Electric Pickup truck and they are not using a hybrid engine, 100% electric engine. So yea, they would need to add a new engine to achieve this gas charging mechanism which again is stupid. You waste energy when you convert energy from gas to battery to use to power the car. If it has a gas generator in it, it would be far more efficient to use it to power the vehicle and not to charge the battery. The original point I was trying to make.

http://www.atlismotorvehicles.com/xt-truck

13. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by juleswin View Post
    Look at the website of the Atlis XT Electric Pickup truck and they are not using a hybrid engine, 100% electric engine. So yea, they would need to add a new engine to achieve this gas charging mechanism which again is stupid. You waste energy when you convert energy from gas to battery to use to power the car. If it has a gas generator in it, it would be far more efficient to use it to power the vehicle and not to charge the battery. The original point I was trying to make.

I've gotta say, if I had a crap ton of money, this looks pretty sweet. I'll also admit that I've been wrong. When electric vehicles first came out I said "That's great for getting around town and grocery shopping, but an electric vehicle will never work as a work truck."

That is such a horrible idea. No engineer worth his/her salt would dare come u with such a terrible idea. I can think of a spare battery that you can detach and charge up at some recharging station. But to carry around a working generator just for the few times you run out of gas is just stupid.

Jesus Christ.
    Well, let's see. We have an engine on board generating enough power to move the vehicle 300 miles in fifteen minutes. So let's sit on the side if the road with our thumb up our ass until it stores all that in the battery before we use any of it to move.

Yeah, pretty stupid.

That isn't what I was thinking of. I was thinking of being able to extend the range if you don't have access to electricity. One battery would only get you one charge, and I'm pretty sure the battery weighs as much as a generator.

It seems like if it is possible that you can hookup a generator and run it for 15 minutes, you could get several charges then fill up the generator with the jerry can and get several more without ever having access to electricity.

If that were the case, that would be amazing.
    You've been putting 400-500 miles worth of fuel in the tank in two minutes flat since you were 18 and you consider that amazing?

I presumed...
    No wonder you're in trouble again.

gen·er·a·tor
    /ˈjenəˌrādər/
    noun
    noun: generator; plural noun: generators

1. An actual engine that uses gas
    Really, dannno? So, your car's alternator isn't a generator until it's installed? A wind generator is misnamed? A hybrid can turn its motors into generators and recapture braking energy, but a straight electric can't because there's no gas engine around? A hydroelectric dam can't generate electricity unless you add gas?

Or is your definition of generator dead wrong?

An actual engine that uses gas is actually a gas engine. An actual diesel engine that uses diesel fuel is actually a diesel engine. A generator is a generator. An alternator is an AC generator. They could be turned with anything. I've generated electricity with a hand crank. I've also seen boat engines with no generator at all--not even a magneto. They got their spark from deep cycle batteries. So why are you trying to convince me that gas powered portable generators are the only kind of generators there is?

Btw, the gasoline engine in hybrid engines do not chargee the batteries, the just power the vehicle until the next charge.
    You can think of it that way, though the point is recapturing braking energy. That's where the efficiency is; brake pads waste a lot of momentum energy that hybrids can reuse. And there's more than one type. Some are standard engine-powered vehicles with motors and batteries added. Others are, as AF pointed out, like most locomotives. The generator attached to the engine drives the wheel motors. The generator and motors replace the transmission.

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    I'll also admit that I've been wrong. When electric vehicles first came out I said "That's great for getting around town and grocery shopping, but an electric vehicle will never work as a work truck."
    You weren't wrong. When you first had that thought, an electric truck had to have nearly three thousand pounds of lead-acid batteries to haul a ton of payload any distance at all.

New battery technology is making many things possible that were impossible before. But as Stratovarious pointed out, if your electricity comes from a coal, natural gas or nuclear plant, there is still pollution. And as Jules pointed out, the result of using an EV is more pollution because moving and converting that electricity isn't 100% efficient. It's as stupid as sitting on the side of the road with the engine running full throttle because the battery isn't fully charged yet.

That's the gorilla in the electric vehicle that the progressives are all trying to ignore. That, and the little detail that Damian pointed out. They've yet to invent the battery that holds up as well as the automatic transmission. And when it comes to the kind of kilowatt hours needed for a light truck, they've also yet to come up with a battery as affordable as a new automatic transmission.

Hybrids make good, economic sense. You have an engine just big enough to propel you down the highway, but not powerful enough to accelerate. And you invest the space, weight and money for just enough battery to capture braking energy and use that to accelerate. Battery technology is now good enough to make that pay. But straight electrics? Works for scooters, shopping carts and lazy golfers. Beyond that...
    Last edited by acptulsa; 01-13-2019 at 10:07 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    We believe our lying eyes...

Obviously we weren't talking about a hybrid engine, if that was the case then why ask what the equivalent of a jerrycan is to the truck? if the discussion was about a hybrid then you just bring a jerrycan and fill up the gas and case closed. But think about this way, do you think Tesla seperate generator engine just to charge the battery in the rare times you run out of gas if they made a truck? the answer is "hell no".
    You were saying the idea of carrying an onboard generator to charge the batteries as needed was a stupid engineering idea that nobody would touch.

I'm simply pointing out to you, that concept has been in use for almost 100 years now on every diesel/electric railroad locomotive in the world.

Hardly a "stupid" idea.

You don't add in a seperate engine just for charging. Hybrid engine I can understand but not a seperate one. Btw, the gasoline engine in hybrid engines do not chargee the batteries, the just power the vehicle until the next charge.
    Untrue.

The Honda Insight is a true hybrid, in that its prime movers are electric motors powered by an onboard battery bank that can charged from grid power or by the onboard ICE generator.

This was why it was able to achieve 80+ MPG.

Every other "hybrid" out there now is an ICE vehicle with electric propulsion backup.

No, this is incorrect and I think where you are making your mistake.

An ICE can greatly increase its efficiency by matching load to a particular engine's "powerband".

Powerband, without getting too technical, is the "sweet spot" in which the engine is working at its maximum efficiency producing maximum work. Its why you need a transmission with an ICE. The vast amount of loss of usable work in an ICE vehicle is due to the constant changes in load and rpm of the engine. This is why "city" driving results in lower MPGs.

Now, where that sweet spot lies is the result of a number of variables, from bore size to stroke, to theory of operation, displacement vs number of cylinders and so on.

A large, slow speed diesel operating at it's peak power curve, at a steady and fixed RPM and load, is the most efficient of all ICE, but too heavy to be practical in this application.

A medium speed small diesel, say a turbocharged, three cylinder, 1000cc engine, would be the perfect match to charge batteries on the fly in a true hybrid car.

Oh, and to settle the "Jerry Can" argument:

The proper spelling is "Jerry Can".

It was invented in Germany in the 1930s and used widely by German land forces during WWII to carry spare fuel.

US GIs referred to the Germans as "Jerrys".

Thus the can, which they liberated in great numbers from captured German troops after they found it to be extraordinarily handy, was dubbed a "Jerry Can".

ETA - It was also produced stateside after "reverse engineering".
    Last edited by Anti Federalist; 01-13-2019 at 10:21 AM.

I'm simply pointing out to you, that concept has been in use for almost 100 years now on every diesel/electric railroad locomotive in the world.
    Yes. Steam was king because no clutch could stand up to locomotive duty. In recent decades, diesel-hydraulics have been made dependable, and they are more efficient than diesel-electrics. But for many years, electricity was the only kind of working transmission that could handle the load.

Initially gas-electrics and diesel-electrics were produced because they worked. Electric locomotives were a proven technology, and adding a portable diesel powered generator was something they could pull off. Diesel-electrics were literally proven electric locomotives with the source of electricity on board.

Diesel-hydraulic (torque converter) locomotives have gotten bigger and better since then. But they haven't made major inroads on U.S. railroads because diesel-electrics can do a great trick. They recapture braking energy--such as when you have ten thousand tons shoving you down the side of a mountain--and converts that to wasted heat. It may not be efficient, but it's better than replacing all the brake shoes on every single car at the foot of the mountain. At eight shoes per car, and over a hundred cars, you're talking about a real pain in the ass.

Electric locomotives send that electricity they generate going downhill to a locomotive pulling a train uphill. They can do that, they have catenary wires. Without those, half a trainload of batteries would be required to save that power for re-use.
    Last edited by acptulsa; 01-13-2019 at 10:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by acptulsa View Post
    New battery technology is making many things possible that were impossible before. But as Stratovarious pointed out, if your electricity comes from a coal, natural gas or nuclear plant, there is still pollution. And as Jules pointed out, the result of using an EV is more pollution because moving and converting that electricity isn't 100% efficient. It's as stupid as sitting on the side of the road with the engine running full throttle because the battery isn't fully charged yet.
    I recall reading somewhere, and I wish I could find it again, where the maths had been done on a 100% electric Tesla to figure out what the equivalent ICE mileage would be, and it worked out to be 19 MPG, once you figured all the inefficiencies of the national electric grid, line losses and charging inefficiencies.
    Last edited by Anti Federalist; 01-13-2019 at 10:44 AM.

I recall reading somewhere, and I wish I could find it again, where the maths had been done a 100% electric Tesla to figure out what the equivalent ICE mileage would be, and it worked out 19 MPG, once you figured all the inefficiencies of the national electric grid, line losses and charging inefficiencies.
    Yeah, that sounds about right, though whoever did the math may have overlooked the efficiency from recapturing braking energy. Talk about an inconvenient truth.

You didn't read that in the mainstream media. Did you?

It's a racket. Nobody wins but Solyndra and Elon Musk. And nuclear power plants. And the weapons manufacturers that use the enriched uranium from their reactors. And the politicians they bribe.
    Last edited by acptulsa; 01-13-2019 at 10:45 AM.

22. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Yes. Steam was king because no clutch could stand up to locomotive duty. In recent decades, diesel-hydraulics have been made dependable, and they are more efficient than diesel-electrics. But for many years, electricity was the only kind of working transmission that could handle the load.

Initially gas-electrics and diesel-electrics were produced because they worked. Electric locomotives were a proven technology, and adding a portable diesel powered generator was something they could pull off. Diesel-electrics were literally proven electric locomotives with the source of electricity on board.

Diesel-hydraulic (torque converter) locomotives have gotten bigger and better since then. But they haven't made major inroads on U.S. railroads because diesel I electrics can do a great trick. They recapture braking energy--such as when you have ten thousand tons shoving you down the side of a mountain--and converts that to wasted heat. It may not be efficient, but it's better than replacing all the brake shoes on every single car at the foot of the mountain.

Electric locomotives send that electricity they generate going downhill to a locomotive pulling a train uphill. They can do that, they have catenary wires. Without those, half a trainload of batteries would be required.
    There have been some advances in that technology no doubt, but the vast bulk of non-electrified mainline service, is done with diesel generation of AC to DC electric.

Even hybrid locomotives, with on board batteries were built, almost 100 years ago.

The GE Tri-Power Box Cab

I'm only trying to point out that JulesWin is wrong when he asserts that this idea is "stupid".
    Last edited by Anti Federalist; 01-13-2019 at 10:43 AM.

Yeah, that sounds about right. Talk about an inconvenient truth.

You didn't read that in the mainstream media. Did you?

It's a racket. Nobody wins but Solyndra and Elon Musk. And nuclear power plants. And the weapons manufacturers that use the enriched uranium from their reactors. And the politicians they bribe.
    I'm almost certain it was a link in an Eric Peters article, but I'll be damned if I can find it again.
    Another mark of a tyrant is that he likes foreigners better than citizens, and lives with them and invites them to his table; for the one are enemies, but the Others enter into no rivalry with him. - Aristotle's Politics Book 5 Part 11

So what we really have is a vehicle with very , very limited range . A range limited to a few super charger stations and a million dollar battery with a two yr shelf life ? Ya , I will pass , I will just buy a a used , three or four yr old one owner , 4X4 F150 extended cab for 18K and drive it 12 years . Under 1700 a yr including four oil changes a yr and a new battery every 60 months or so and drive it for 4.65 a day plus 3.00 a day insurance. So the electric truck is a pretty boat anchor and they will make 100 a year.
    Last edited by oyarde; 01-13-2019 at 11:38 AM.
    Do something Danke

Even hybrid locomotives, with on board batteries were built, almost 100 years ago.

The GE Tri-Power Box Cab
    Ah, the one and only ALCO/Ingersoll Rand/GE oil/battery/electric. It really put the New York Central off the design when all those lead-acid batteries exploded.

I'm only trying to point out that JulesWin is wrong when he asserts that this idea is "stupid".
    That wasn't what he was talking about. He was talking about dannno sitting by the side of the highway running a thousand horse engine at full throttle until his batteries were full instead of getting his ass on down the road.

The only thing about the electrics that appeal to me is the simplicity, which I am always all about.

The number of wear, maintenance and failure points between an ICE drive and electric drive is almost too large to count.

Ah, the one and only ALCO/Ingersoll Rand/GE oil/battery/electric. It really put the New York Central off the design when all those lead-acid batteries exploded.
    Yeah, that one didn't work out well at all.

That wasn't what he was talking about. He was talking about dannno sitting by the side of the highway running a thousand horse engine at full throttle until his batteries were full instead of getting his ass on down the road.
    Oh, OK, I must have misread him then.

Neat article from 1940 that catalogues the New York Central's locomotive roster, still has three of the tri-powers on the list. Prolly cost a fortune, trying to get some of their investment back.

https://www.railarchive.net/nyccolle...ster_rrmag.pdf

Neat article from 1940 that catalogues the New York Central's locomotive roster, still has three of the tri-powers on the list. Prolly cost a fortune, trying to get some of their investment back.

https://www.railarchive.net/nyccolle...ster_rrmag.pdf
    That's right. The single experimental, which was returned to the builders, had a snout at each end.

And insufficient battery ventilation, too.

31. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    Nice . Will it be under 20K ?
    If we are talking grams of fine gold, then yes.

The days of $20k trucks in America have been over for 20 years and aren't coming back until the federal regulations on cars are abolished.
    There are no crimes against people.
    There are only crimes against the state.
    And the state will never, ever choose to hold accountable its agents, because a thing can not commit a crime against itself.

Quote Originally Posted by DamianTV View Post
    Do the batteries last longer than 5 years?
    I heard recently that Dyson is getting into the electric car market, and to that end has purchased a company that is pioneering solid state battery tech.
    The takeaway from that story is that if Dyson, a man who is known primarily for taking innovative tech and iterating it until it actually works as intended, is just now getting into the ring, it means that everyone else already in the ring is playing with stable tech.

Everything else about an electric car has been engineered to perfection... But not the cells. Mature electical storage tech still sucks. It either doesn't have the range or doesn't have the lifespan... People are still dumping trainloads of cash into finding the battery that does both, and they aren't even generally aware that cars are the absolute last place the market will want them, so even after they figure it out, it wilk be another 10-20 yrs before electric cars are the norm.

Tl;dr
    the answer is NO.
    There are no crimes against people.
    There are only crimes against the state.
    And the state will never, ever choose to hold accountable its agents, because a thing can not commit a crime against itself.

Quote Originally Posted by fisharmor View Post
    Everything else about an electric car has been engineered to perfection... But not the cells. Mature electical storage tech still sucks. It either doesn't have the range or doesn't have the lifespan... People are still dumping trainloads of cash into finding the battery that does both, and they aren't even generally aware that cars are the absolute last place the market will want them, so even after they figure it out, it wilk be another 10-20 yrs before electric cars are the norm.
    That's about the size of it. About all they've done so far is realize how much lead-acid battery technology sucks, and replace a handful of them with thousands of flashlight batteries.

And vehicles will indeed be about the last place the free market wants better batteries. But car battery tech is now driving development because we don't have a free market. The federal government has been trying to make personal vehicles unaffordable for common people for decades. Electric vehicle mandates will finish the job.

Got a bus pass?

And vehicles will indeed be about the last place the free market wants better batteries. But car battery tech is now driving development because we don't have a free market. The federal government has been trying to make personal vehicles unaffordable for common people for decades. Electric vehicle mandates will finish the job.
    And that, folks, is the bottom line and what this is all about.

Our rulers have hated, for 100 years now, that cars became what they are, tools of mobility and freedom for the masses and not left as elaborate toys for the wealthy and ruling classes.

This putsch against ICE vehicles is the final one...the last step to getting all herded up together into "green" supercities.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast