Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone wan't to chipin for my Root Canal?

Anyone wan't to chipin for my Root Canal?

I am self employed, and have no insurance. That part is my fault. Just went to the dentist today and found out I need a Root canal and a crown for one of my molars. They want me to come in on the 23rd with $2400 in cash to get the work done.
    Currently i'm with out a crown on my tooth and have to take penicillin for an infection in the root.

Every once in a while I see a down on his luck member here ask for help, and I try and chip in when I can. So if anyone wants to lend a fellow RPF'er a hand, that would be most excellent of you.

I set up a chipin
    here is the link.
    http://replicaprops.chipin.com/root-canal-and-crown

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Ugg, now my septic pump just gave out. This has been a bad week.

My wife just got that done a few weeks ago. $2,200. Zapped all the money from her HSA and the cash I was going to use to fix my teeth. Wish I could help ya. Got any PMs to sell? Sure those would go quick.

Get it pulled. Root canals leave a dead tooth in your mouth which is not good for your health. Many dentists won't tell you that because they make a lot of money doing root canals and crowns. An implant is much better than a root canal and won't hurt your health one bit.

Quote Originally Posted by RickyJ View Post
    Get it pulled. Root canals leave a dead tooth in your mouth which is not good for your health. Many dentists won't tell you that because they make a lot of money doing root canals and crowns. An implant is much better than a root canal and won't hurt your health one bit.
    We talked about it, and he said the tooth is secure in the jaw bone so pulling it was not required. Besides the price of putting in a fake tooth is probably the same considering it needs to be bolted into the bone.
    Ive been in so much pain for the last month, I just want to get it done.

Quote Originally Posted by robertwerden View Post
    Ugg, now my septic pump just gave out. This has been a bad week.
    You mean a sump pump ?

Quote Originally Posted by robertwerden View Post
    We talked about it, and he said the tooth is secure in the jaw bone so pulling it was not required. Besides the price of putting in a fake tooth is probably the same considering it needs to be bolted into the bone.
    Ive been in so much pain for the last month, I just want to get it done.
    Dental insurance is such a scam anyway....

If you have a dental college in the area, check with them. Here in Michigan, they only charge about half of what the dentists do. Not that that helps...

but if you have to, you can have the tooth pulled now and get the implant later. That will get you some time to raise money without having an aching jaw.

I had a root canal done a few years back....I didn't have insurance either.

I paid a total of $1200, or $300 for each root the tooth had. He also accepted a payment plan. My point being, $2400 sounds high...maybe shop around?

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.

its $100 to pull it . crowns rarely last anyway and are far too expensive .
    You are the Universe experiencing itself

If I wasn't going to the AirForce I would be seeking dental help this moment. $10 isn't a lot, but I like to help out those of us who need it. Check out the cost-saving ideas the other guys mentioned.

Get it done in Mexico. Dental rates are about 1/3 to 1/2 what they are in the US.

Quote Originally Posted by furface View Post
    Get it done in Mexico. Dental rates are about 1/3 to 1/2 what they are in the US.
    You get what you pay for!

My root canal was $1000. Credit cards are good for these types of expenses.

piece of twine. doorknob.

that's the way my pa taught me.
    Those Who Do Not Move, Do Not Notice Their Chains.

If you decide to just get an extraction ( probably around $100 ) , they probably will just mail the bill out to you , which should buy you a few weeks before you need to remit.

Dental insurance is such a scam anyway....
    This is something that I've been trying to verify. Last year I got a "copay plan" which was supposed set up reduced rates for the procedures. Well, they actually did for certain procedures, but the dentist I went to seemed to add on a bunch of other things that seemed unnecessary so the rates ended up being the same as the "going rate" in our area. I think there's a certain amount of collusion among dentists in my area in this respect. Do other people find the same thing?

Maybe going to more outlying areas for dental work is the thing to do. It's difficult though for something like a root canal or a crown because they take multiple days to complete.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by furface View Post
    This is something that I've been trying to verify. Last year I got a "copay plan" which was supposed set up reduced rates for the procedures. Well, they actually did for certain procedures, but the dentist I went to seemed to add on a bunch of other things that seemed unnecessary so the rates ended up being the same as the "going rate" in our area. I think there's a certain amount of collusion among dentists in my area in this respect. Do other people find the same thing?

Maybe going to more outlying areas for dental work is the thing to do. It's difficult though for something like a root canal or a crown because they take multiple days to complete.
    My plan covers cleaning , but my dentist does not accept that amount and bills me more , Speaking of which , I am overdue and need to make an appt later this month.

Ya the root canal is 1000, the new crown is 1000 and the other things bump it up to 2400. It is insane how much this stuff costs.

thanks for the donation, it is very appreciated. +REP

I feel your pain.

I had two root canals done on the same tooth. Neither one worked. Got it pulled last month and I've never felt better.

It only costs $100 to get a tooth pulled? I should start a chip in to get my teeth pulled...
    I am the spoon.

I feel for ya... I've had both septic problems and tooth issues. They're both a b1tch.

Gulag Chief:
    "Article 58-1a, twenty five years... What did you get it for?"
    Gulag Prisoner: "For nothing at all."
    Gulag Chief: "You're lying... The sentence for nothing at all is 10 years"

Quote Originally Posted by carmaphob View Post
    I feel your pain.

I had two root canals done on the same tooth. Neither one worked. Got it pulled last month and I've never felt better.
    I hope those came with a money back guarantee.

Quote Originally Posted by Romulus View Post
    I hope those came with a money back guarantee.
    Yeah right. Root canals are not 100% and they will tell you that.

I should have had it pulled in the first place. It would have only cost me $100 and I wouldn't have had to put up with all those tooth aches over a 15 year span.
    Last edited by carmaphob; 02-14-2012 at 06:08 PM.

No actually they never told me that!

If I get another, it's getting pulled.

I'm going to start widdling my wooden teeth now.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I had a root canal done and in the meantime the son took over the father's dental practice. He said one of the root canals his father did was failing, but refused to acknowledge that his father had done it a few years earlier. He wanted to charge me another $2,000, claiming that some other incompetent dentist had done it, so I refused. He also had a habit of playing Fox News on TV monitors in his office, so I decided it was time to leave.

Another 5 years passes and I finally go back to a dentist and this dentist mentions nothing about a failing root canal. Everything feels fine. Maybe these things work themselves out on their own eventually. I think that maybe growing gum tissue can stabilize a tooth or root canal that is structurally sound. Who knows.
    Last edited by furface; 02-14-2012 at 03:55 PM.

http://www.shop-progreso.com/dentists/mustre/index.html this is my dentist. Root canal and a crown will be about $300 or $400 he is awesome . Call first no appointment necessary and he is open Sundays and Holidays. This is the best time of year to go.

Shop around for a better dentist. As others have mentioned, it is possible to get that procedure done for much less.
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

Eagles' Wings

I'm a little surprised at the number of people who say to pull the tooth. I wholeheartedly agree.

Check out Ramiel Nagel for outstanding information about healing dental issues. It can be done with diet and suppls. www.curetoothdecay.com

Rami's diet is similar to www.healingnaturallybybee.com

Root canals seem to lead to a decay in overall health.

Quote Originally Posted by Louise View Post
    I'm a little surprised at the number of people who say to pull the tooth. I wholeheartedly agree.

Check out Ramiel Nagel for outstanding information about healing dental issues. It can be done with diet and suppls. www.curetoothdecay.com

Rami's diet is similar to www.healingnaturallybybee.com

Root canals seem to lead to a decay in overall health.
    Very interesting.
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

i had 4 root canals by the age of 25 . i am 34 now and 3 of those teeth are pulled . it was not worth the yrs of pain and the money spent . there are exceptions to this of course but dentists will always try and talk you into the root canal because it is there bread and butter .
    You are the Universe experiencing itself

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast