Thread: How Silicon Valley went from libertarian to liberal

Post How Silicon Valley went from libertarian to liberal

If you want to understand how Silicon Valley went from libertarian to liberal, here is an interesting article on the subject:

https://www.wired.com/story/political-education-silicon-valley/
    __________________________________________________ ________________
    "A politician will do almost anything to keep their job, even become a patriot" - Hearst

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Maybe Libertine, but I don’t ever recall it being Libertarian.

Now they're on their way from being liberal to full blown communist.
    "Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration is minding my own business."

Calvin Coolidge

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Collins View Post
    If you want to understand how Silicon Valley went from libertarian to liberal, here is an interesting article on the subject:

https://www.wired.com/story/political-education-silicon-valley/
    Eh. A very long article that could be summed up in two words: demographic shift.

‘What do we need to do to get more tech here,’ and I said, ‘You need a few more Indian restaurants.’ ” (Khanna knows his audience: His district is more than 50 percent Asian, many of South Asian ancestry.)
    His district became majority Indian, and they elected an Indian. Nothing more to it than that.

In Silicon Valley you can tell who lives in a house based upon political signs. Probably with 95% accuracy or more. Indians support Indian candidates, Chinese support Chinese candidates, Vietnamese support Vietnamese candidates, etc.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    Eh. A very long article that could be summed up in two words: demographic shift.

His district became majority Indian, and they elected an Indian. Nothing more to it than that.

In Silicon Valley you can tell who lives in a house based upon political signs. Probably with 95% accuracy or more. Indians support Indian candidates, Chinese support Chinese candidates, Vietnamese support Vietnamese candidates, etc.
    Thanks for summing that up. I lived in San Jose for about 5 months and I actually met several libertarians. I kind of miss it a bit... in a weird way. Santa Cruz is really beautiful.
    Please consider donating to the Mises Caucus today. We are TAKING OVER the LP.

We have big plans including creating a program to bring libertarians like Maj Toure and Tom Woods to college campuses.

We have several LP Mises Caucus Members who won elected office in 2020 including multiple City Council seats.

Your recurring donation is what helps us to set these ideas into motion.

Donate today at www.TakeHumanAction.com

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    Imagine my surprise.

I reckon not one out of ten of those foreign invader candidates are "constitutional, limited government" types.
    “Civilizations die from suicide, not by murder.” - Arnold Toynbee

Quote Originally Posted by Cutlerzzz View Post
    Maybe Libertine, but I don’t ever recall it being Libertarian.
    There were libertarians there but I wouldn't call the area libertarian.

Quote Originally Posted by trey4sports View Post
    Thanks for summing that up. I lived in San Jose for about 5 months and I actually met several libertarians. I kind of miss it a bit... in a weird way. Santa Cruz is really beautiful.
    That's my neck of the woods growing up. Had my fill though, so left for Texas in '96. One less libertarian in CA.
    “Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want and deserve to get it good and hard.”

H.L. Mencken

When I subscribed to Wired in the late 90s / early 00s, I would have considered a technolibertarian mag. Then it went conventional liberal and I unsubscribed. Around the time the cover went from a unique rough texture to the typical smooth glossy.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Like Hollywood entertainment, tech is a tool to allow them to propel their philosophy. Hollywood, political and now tech class are mostly all part of the same cult.

Quote Originally Posted by axiomata View Post
    When I subscribed to Wired in the late 90s / early 00s, I would have considered a technolibertarian mag. Then it went conventional liberal and I unsubscribed.
    Yep.... I kept subscribing because it was so cheap. But yeah they have turned into a progressive SJW rag. It's pathetic
    "A politician will do almost anything to keep their job, even become a patriot" - Hearst

Quote Originally Posted by axiomata View Post
    When I subscribed to Wired in the late 90s / early 00s, I would have considered a technolibertarian mag. Then it went conventional liberal and I unsubscribed. Around the time the cover went from a unique rough texture to the typical smooth glossy.
    I remember the day when Yahoo News was co-opted and taken over. It was like night and day. Originally, Yahoo had all kinds of news, very diverse, from around the world. Overnight it became leftist neoconservative propaganda. Probably when they hired an editor in chief and consolidated news in New York. Since then, they might as well be CNN or MSNBC.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Leftists always seem to find a way to leech off the successes of free market entrepreneurs.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    Leftists always seem to find a way to leech off the successes of free market entrepreneurs.
    Perfectly describes leftists in a nutshell.
    "Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration is minding my own business."

Calvin Coolidge

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Collins View Post
    Well, that was an extremely condensed version of the history of Silicon Valley. At least he does talk about government contracting playing a role in the origins of the valley. One thing he completely skipped over was the mainframe (and mini) computer industries (as opposed to home PCs). Silicon Valley and the computer industry as a whole did not jump from making missiles to making home computers. And he also skips over the development of the world wide web, which was also started in government. Video gaming is one part of the industry that was always geared towards commercial and home use, but it was not mentioned.

But his main point seems to be about lower taxes enabling venture capital. That certainly played a role in the eventual startup culture of Silicon Valley. Lower taxes don't hurt.