Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Georgia Straw Poll: Herman Cain squeaks past Ron Paul, Rick Perry a distant 3rd.

Georgia Straw Poll: Herman Cain squeaks past Ron Paul, Rick Perry a distant 3rd.

Cain 232
    Paul 229
    Perry 179
    Newt 162

I'll post the rest of the numbers when I hear them.
    Last edited by rp08orbust; 08-27-2011 at 01:05 PM.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Whenever it's really close we lose. (like SRLC)

...why is that?

Is he from Georgia?

Avalon and I estimated 225 votes for Ron Paul on the phone last night.

Neither of us predicted Herman Cain sending a bus from Atlanta.

GA is Cain's home state. No worries.
    Been a long time....

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy View Post
    Is he from Georgia?
    Yes, he had the homefield advantage. So winning by only 3, doesn't look too good for the "Cain Train."

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy View Post
    Is he from Georgia?
    Yes. As is Newt, who was the only candidate to speak at the straw poll. This would have to be a devastating result for him.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Predictable.. but 3 votes! What is it with these southern straw polls! We lose by the number of Paul supporters who were too hungover to attend!

Well in that case.. So how did ol' Newt do?

When is the next straw poll without any candidates with a home field advantage? So far it's Bachmann in Iowa and Cain in Georgia.

The California straw poll in Los Angeles is next? Saturday September 17th?

Good job GA and all who helped get the word out.

Quote Originally Posted by harikaried View Post
    When is the next straw poll without any candidates with a home field advantage? So far it's Bachmann in Iowa and Cain in Georgia.

The California straw poll in Los Angeles is next? Saturday September 17th?
    Yep.

Can anyone link or post the full results?

http://blogs.ajc.com/political-insid...op-straw-poll/

Georgia native and tea party favorite Herman Cain edged out libertarian Ron Paul at the GOP annual fish fry down in Perry on Saturday.

Former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney finished a surprisingly distant fifth, behind Texas Gov. Rick Perry and another Georgia favorite, former U.S. House speaker Newt Gingrich. Minnesota Congresswoman Michele Bachmann also had a weak showing.

Results were just phoned in by B.J. VanGundy, the party’s first vice president. Over 1100 tickets were sold, he said, and 890 votes were cast.

The totals:

– Herman Cain, 232 or 26 percent;

– Ron Paul, 229 or 25.7 percent;

– Rick Perry, 179 or 20 percent;

– Newt Gingrich, 162 or 18 percent;

– Mitt Romney, 51 or 6 percent;

– Michele Bachman, 29 or 3 percent;

– Rick Santorum, 4 or .4 percent

– Jon Huntsman, 3 or .3 percent;

– Thad McCotter, 1 or .1 percent;

– Buddy Roemer, 0;

– Gary Johnson, 0;

Second in the two polls, by a tiny margin in states where other candidates had the homefield advantage is very encouraging.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Lost by less than 1% yet again?

I bet the people who decided not to go at the last minute are kicking themselves.
    "Truth will win in the end. We just don't know when the end is. So we have to persevere." ― Carol Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Buchananite View Post

Georgia native and tea party favorite Herman Cain edged out libertarian Ron Paul at the GOP annual fish fry down in Perry on Saturday.

Former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney finished a surprisingly distant fifth, behind Texas Gov. Rick Perry and another Georgia favorite, former U.S. House speaker Newt Gingrich. Minnesota Congresswoman Michele Bachmann also had a weak showing.

Results were just phoned in by B.J. VanGundy, the party’s first vice president. Over 1100 tickets were sold, he said, and 890 votes were cast.

The totals:

– Herman Cain, 232 or 26 percent;

– Ron Paul, 229 or 25.7 percent;

– Rick Perry, 179 or 20 percent;

– Newt Gingrich, 162 or 18 percent;

– Mitt Romney, 51 or 6 percent;

– Michele Bachman, 29 or 3 percent;

– Rick Santorum, 4 or .4 percent

– Jon Huntsman, 3 or .3 percent;

– Thad McCotter, 1 or .1 percent;

– Buddy Roemer, 0;

– Gary Johnson, 0;
    Bachmann with 3%

Great result. Thank you rp08orbust and anyone else who helped out with this!

Amazing how in almost every article either Cain, Bachman, or Slick Rick are labeled as the "tea party favorite" over the man who actually started the movement.

Quote Originally Posted by rp08orbust View Post
    Yes. As is Newt, who was the only candidate to speak at the straw poll. This would have to be a devastating result for him.
    Newt knows he's done, he's just making sure he spends off any remaining funds before he drops out. He was on a 'campaign trip' in Hawaii last week I think.

addendum:
    I was fact checking my post and found this blurb:
    Gingrich's spokesman declined to comment to Hotsheet on the observation from Politico that the Hawaii campaign stop coincides with the Gingriches' eleventh wedding anniversary, which is tomorrow.
    http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-503544_1...67-503544.html
    Last edited by Razmear; 08-27-2011 at 01:14 PM. Reason: add info
    Been a long time....

I'm sure we all wish we could have that #1 spot. But, it is a good result and another strong showing for us. We are showing strength and consistency. We need to keep this up!

Notice how Ron Paul's support is nationwide?

And growing?

Whereas the others are much weaker outside their home turf?

And either shrinking or stagnant?

Does this mean we're winning?
    Ron Paul: He irritates more idiots in fewer words than any American politician ever.

NO MORE LIARS! Ron Paul 2012

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I've already brought the Perry and Bachmann facebook pages to a grinding halt with the results

Thank you to all that helped. WE WILL WIN!

Better to come second to Cain and beat Perry in the south, than if it were second to Perry. Very good, even though 3 votes stings a bit.

More answered prayers!

This is astoundingly great news from RINO/Dixiecrat central! RP supporters here were a blip on the GOP radar last election cycle, with statistically insignificant numbers at GOP events.

I'm uber-proud and honestly didn't think our state had it in us to achieve such a grand statistical tie against the local establishment and homestate candidates. The poor showings by Perry, Romney, & Bachmann also raised my eyebrows.

I'm honestly flabbergasted. What kind of awakening is happening here in the grassroots, without any real indicators coming from our continually disappointing elected representatives?

Please realize that this fish fry/straw poll was held in a small town in southern Georgia, away from any big metropolitan areas. Supporters really had to make an effort to get out to this event.

I can't wait to see how this plays out in the coming months. Yay, Georgia! Yay, Ron Paul!
    The bigger government gets, the smaller I wish it was.
    My new motto: More Love, Less Laws

Excuse me, but WHAT?!! Notice how they ordain Cain has the "tea party favorite" and Ron Paul as the "libertarian".

Shoddy journalism at its finest. Hey boys, are you suggesting the godfather of the tea party movement is not a tea party favorite?

Supporting Member
    Michigan

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LibertyEagle View Post
    Excuse me, but WHAT?!! Notice how they ordain Cain has the "tea party favorite" and Ron Paul as the "libertarian".

Shoddy journalism at its finest. Hey boys, are you suggesting the godfather of the tea party movement is not a tea party favorite?
    Maybe the journalist got Godfather Pizza confused with "The Godfather of the Tea Party Movement"?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast