Thread: What you have to lose? Trump uses campaign email to ask supporters to wear masks

Post What you have to lose? Trump uses campaign email to ask supporters to wear masks

Powerful follow up message on the heals of 'many say wearning masks is Patriotic' tweet by Prez Trump:

Trump uses campaign email to ask supporters to wear face masks

Trump added, "My feeling is, we have nothing to lose, and possibly everything to gain, including the next chapter to our country, and to keep things open whether it be schools or businesses."

By Caroline Kelly, CNN
    Mon August 3, 2020

(CNN)President Donald Trump on Monday sent a campaign email, typically used for soliciting donations, to make a different request of his supporters: consider wearing a mask.

"We are all in this together, and while I know there has been some confusion surrounding the usage of face masks, I think it's something we should all try to do when we are not able to be socially distanced from others," the email, sent by the Trump campaign and signed by the President, read.

The rare move comes after Trump avoided wearing a mask in public for months until he tweeted a photo of himself wearing one in a stark messaging pivot in July -- though footage later surfaced of Trump not wearing a mask later that day.

The shift to encouraging mask-wearing was primarily motivated by floundering poll numbers, a source familiar with the President's thinking told CNN last month, and came nearly three months after he publicly announced new mask recommendations from the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention -- and two months since he mocked his election rival Joe Biden for wearing one.
    In Monday's email, Trump highlighted mask wearing as a potential means of accelerating a return to normal life, lamenting the effects of the coronavirus using a stigmatizing and inaccurate term for the virus.

"I don't love wearing them either. Masks may be good, they may be just okay, or they may be great," the email continued. "They can possibly help us get back to our American way of life that so many of us rightfully cherished before we were so terribly impacted by the China Virus."

Trump added, "My feeling is, we have nothing to lose, and possibly everything to gain, including the next chapter to our country, and to keep things open whether it be schools or businesses."

https://www.cnn.com/2020/08/03/polit...ail/index.html

Related

Trump says wearing a face mask is ‘patriotic’ and plans to resume COVID-19 briefings

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Not sure if these efforts are being coordinated between the two governments but top public figures in US & UK seem to be accelerating masks push at same time. Did not see similar "sold out" reports about the mask FLOTUS used in her tweet few days ago but that might be due to US media's different focus.

Duchess of Cambridge floral mask prompts face covering to sell out

Kate’s first official outing in Amaia mask leads to spike in ‘ditsy print’ searches

The Duchess of Cambridge wears a face mask on an official visit to the charity Baby Basics in Sheffield. Photograph: Chris Jackson/PA

Hannah Marriott
    Published on Sun 9 Aug 2020

It is a truth universally acknowledged that anything the Duchess of Cambridge wears sells out. In the past week, the so-called “Kate effect” was put to public health use when she was photographed, for the first time, wearing a face mask.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...ia-ditsy-print

And that wraps up today on the All attack Trump for everything, all day channel. Tune in tomorrow for the next "scandal"!

Quote Originally Posted by RPtotheWH View Post
    And that wraps up today on the All attack Trump for everything, all day channel. Tune in tomorrow for the next "scandal"!
    Just ignore these threads and let them pass. You are right, a ton of energy is spent here attacking Trump. The same energy could be spent on giving people real insight into what is happening with the country, giving people inspiration, organizing people together to fight the evil we are currently facing. Instead it's spent hating one man and trying to convince everyone else to hate that one as passionately as they do. Doesn't seem like energy well spent and certainly not anything Dr. Paul ever taught us.

They want, you, me, and everyone here divided and not focusing our collective efforts together. But you probably already knew this.

As if I pay attention to any emails I get from Trump.
    "Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration is minding my own business."

Calvin Coolidge

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Globalist View Post
    As if I pay attention to any emails I get from Trump.
    Exactly.

One of the line-items stood out as I walked the survey to the burn pile - Do you support repealing and replacing Obamacare?

An Agorist Primer ~ Samuel Edward Konkin III (free PDF download)

The End of All Evil ~ Jeremy Locke (free PDF download)

Quote Originally Posted by PAF View Post
    Exactly.

One of the line-items stood out as I walked the survey to the burn pile - Do you support repealing and replacing Obamacare?
    He's working to boost some of Obamacare protections already, part of his Safety-First leadership initiatives:

Trump says executive order on pre-existing conditions would be a "signal" on GOP stance

https://www.axios.com/trump-affordable-care-act-e89924f9-9642-4e29-b166-c57bd51f65c0.html

Developing..

Do you support replacing NAFTA with USMCA?

If social distancing is not possible...still BS but the weak version.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.

In contrast, Biden-Harris have a different message on this issue:

Biden, Harris call for all states to mandate masks after first joint Covid-19 briefing

Biden did not say whether he would implement a national mask mandate if elected and, if so, how it would be enforced.

08/13/2020
    Joe Biden and his running mate Sen. Kamala Harris called on Thursday for every governor to mandate mask-wearing in public for at least the next three months, citing studies that say it would save more than 40,000 lives and speed the nation’s economic recovery.
    “Wearing a mask will give the life of a clerk in your local store or your letter carrier, your child's teacher, it will increase their prospects of not contracting the virus,” Biden said. “Even though it's uncomfortable, and we're not used to it, wearing a mask is going to get our kids back to school sooner and safer. Every American wearing a mask outdoors is going to get our businesses back and to full strength.”

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/0...riefing-395016

Un-Related

People balked at masks in 1918, too. Then the arrests started

Student Army Training Corps cadets at San Diego High School wearing masks in December 1918.
    (San Diego History Center)

We’re repeating many of the mistakes of the flu pandemic 100 years ago, and learning few of the lessons

By John Wilkens
    Aug. 15, 2020

In October of 1918, with a lethal influenza spreading in San Diego, the health board asked the City Council to pass a law requiring people to wear face masks in public.
    San Francisco had just adopted such a measure, the first in the country, as the death toll from the so-called Spanish Flu climbed. A half-dozen other cities — Seattle, Denver, Indianapolis, Pasadena, Oakland, Sacramento — soon followed.
    But the council here balked. Some members doubted masks would help. Others said they would interfere with “the fresh air and sunshine” so crucial to a healthy lifestyle. They worried citizens would be harassed by overzealous police officers.
    The council voted instead to make masks optional and ignored pleas to re-consider from the city’s health officer, who said the epidemic here — about 550 cases had been reported, including 20 deaths — could be corralled if everyone covered their faces.

What happened next may sound familiar to those watching the current COVID-19 pandemic: The number of cases kept rising, eventually sickening about 4,500 more people in San Diego (a city of 75,000 residents then) and killing an additional 350 over the next three months.
    How much difference early and widespread mask-wearing might have made is hard to gauge. The city eventually passed a mask ordinance, in early December, and police began arresting violators and hauling them into court. Hundreds eventually were fined $5.

But subsequent research, published in the Journal of the American Medical Association in 2007, showed that U.S. cities that adopted a variety of public-health measures in the initial stages of the 1918 pandemic, and kept them in place, had better outcomes. The report’s authors recommended that “non-pharmaceutical interventions” be considered in planning how to mitigate future outbreaks.
    Why that lesson failed to take hold in America this time is a question academics and public-health experts are exploring in earnest. Why didn’t more cities adopt social-distancing earlier? Why did some open too soon? Why do some people (about 14 percent, according to a recent Gallup poll) refuse to wear masks? Why does the United States, with 4 percent of the world’s population, have 25 percent of the novel coronavirus cases?
    “In 1918, the people fighting the flu pandemic really didn’t know what to do, because they’d had no experience with something like that,” said Joseph Gabriel, a historian of medicine at Florida State University. “Today, we actually do know what to do, and we’re not doing it.”

A flu cartoon published in The San Diego Union on Dec. 7, 1918.
    (The San Diego Union)

https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com...u-mask-tickets

Quote Originally Posted by Champ View Post
    They want, you, me, and everyone here divided and not focusing our collective efforts together. But you probably already knew this.
    ^this.

This is inherent problem with almost every growing political ideology but especially so with libertarians, you put 4 liberatrians in a room and there will be 5 opinions on any given topic.

Interesting:

Sweden’s disease expert says just wearing face masks could be ‘very dangerous’

By Jackie Salo
    August 19, 2020
    Sweden’s top infectious disease expert has resisted recommending face masks for the general population — arguing it’s “very dangerous” if people believe the coverings alone will stop the spread of the coronavirus.

Anders Tegnell, chief epidemiologist at Sweden’s Public Health Agency, has repeatedly expressed skepticism that face masks will control virus outbreaks, the Financial Times reported.
    “It is very dangerous to believe face masks would change the game when it comes to COVID-19,” said Tengell, who is considered the country’s equivalent of Dr. Anthony Fauci from the White House COVID-19 task force.

He noted that countries with widespread mask compliance, such as Belgium and Spain, were still seeing rising virus rates.
    “Face masks can be a complement to other things when other things are safely in place,” he said. “But to start with having face masks and then think you can crowd your buses or your shopping malls — that’s definitely a mistake.”

https://nypost.com/2020/08/19/sweden...ery-dangerous/