Thread: Trump offers to meet North Korean leader Kim Jong Un in DMZ

Trump offers to meet North Korean leader Kim Jong Un in DMZ

The duo recently exchanged another round of love letters. "I'm gonna be in town- you wanna hook up or something? Call me!"

President Trump on Friday said he would be willing to meet with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un in the demilitarized zone (DMZ) between North and South Korea after the Group of 20 summit that's taking place this weekend in Japan.

"After some very important meetings, including my meeting with President Xi of China, I will be leaving Japan for South Korea (with President Moon). While there, if Chairman Kim of North Korea sees this, I would meet him at the Border/DMZ just to shake his hand and say Hello(?)!" Trump tweeted.

“I’m gonna be there for a day. I understand that’s one of the places I’ll be visiting,” Trump said during an exclusive interview with The Hill on Monday.

Asked if he would meet Kim there if the North Korean leader offered to do so, the president said, “I might, yeah.”

The Hill delayed publishing news of the trip earlier in the week at the request of the White House, which cited security concerns about publicizing the president’s plans that far in advance.

Trump attempted to make a surprise visit to the DMZ in November 2017, but was forced to turn around due to bad weather that made it difficult for his helicopter to fly. Vice President Pence and other administration officials have visited the area before.
    The region, a heavily guarded border dividing the North and South, is occupied by thousands of troops from both sides and is littered with land mines. Former President Clinton once called it “the scariest place on earth.”

The DMZ was created after the 1953 armistice that unofficially ended the Korean War.

U.S. leaders have often visited the Joint Security Area, where North and South Korean soldiers stand face-to-face across the border. It has a series of blue buildings straddling the border that allow for diplomatic engagements between the North and South. Kim and South Korean President Moon Jae-in met there twice last year.

Trump considered meeting Kim there in 2018 before deciding to hold their first summit in Singapore.

The president’s visit this week comes amid renewed contact with the North Korean leader following their failed nuclear summit in Hanoi in late February.

Trump recently received what he called a “beautiful letter” from Kim containing birthday greetings. The president sent Kim a thank you note and letter in return.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Banned

Blog Entries
    Kim jung un is the most unfairly and outrageously lied about world leader alive today, trump a distant second.

Quote Originally Posted by UWDude View Post
    Kim jung un is the most unfairly and outrageously lied about world leader alive today, trump a distant second.
    i'll bite...

in what way?
    Please consider donating to the Mises Caucus today. We are TAKING OVER the LP.

We have big plans including creating a program to bring libertarians like Maj Toure and Tom Woods to college campuses.

We have several LP Mises Caucus Members who won elected office in 2020 including multiple City Council seats.

Your recurring donation is what helps us to set these ideas into motion.

Donate today at www.TakeHumanAction.com

Banned

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by trey4sports View Post
    i'll bite...

in what way?
    Trump hasn't been falsely accused of killing family members 3 times now in wildly unbelievable and salacious ways... ..only to have those family members show up alive a few days to months later, for starters.

Plus anti-North Korean propaganda has been full of $#@! since the beginning of the Korean War.
    Complete reversals of Truth, like the Bodo League Massacre and the sinking of the Cheonan.

Trump hasn't been falsely accused of killing family members 3 times now in wildly unbelievable and salacious ways... ..only to have those family members show up alive a few days to months later, for starters.

Plus anti-North Korean propaganda has been full of $#@! since the beginning of the Korean War.
    Complete reversals of Truth, like the Bodo League Massacre and the sinking of the Cheonan.
    Pretty sure his (half) brother is still dead. That is the only family member I can remember being claimed to have been killed. https://gizmodo.com/kim-jong-uns-hal...-vx-1835398109

Banned

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Pretty sure his (half) brother is still dead. That is the only family member I can remember being claimed to have been killed. https://gizmodo.com/kim-jong-uns-hal...-vx-1835398109
    That's because you don't know anything.

Oh, must be your first day on the internet. Try Google or Bing.

That's because you don't know anything.
    Link showing him still alive? Or list of other family members dead and not dead? (some officials in the government were rumored to be killed when they weren't).

You are kinda right. He did kill a few more relatives. But they too are still dead. https://www.cheatsheet.com/health-fi...-be-next.html/

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Banned

Blog Entries
    Link showing him still alive? Or list of other family members dead and not dead? (some officials in the government were rumored to be killed when they weren't).
    How about I quote one of your posts?
    http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...=1#post6808018

How about I quote one of your posts?
    http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...=1#post6808018
    Not seeing the relevance to Kim Jong Un family dead and then not dead. But if that is the best evidence to support your claim that they were dead and then not dead, I understand. You did your best- that is all anyone can ask.

Zerohedge loves to sensationalize things. All their economic news promises that things are crashing all around us. I don't know why people take them seriously. (unless they like being afraid).
    (The officials in that thread were not family members and serious media questioned the validity of the claims.)
    Last edited by Zippyjuan; 06-28-2019 at 08:12 PM.

Banned

Blog Entries
    Not seeing the relevance to Kim Jong Un family dead and then not dead. But if that is the best evidence to support your claim that they were dead and then not dead, I understand.
    I don't have time to play your stupid games.
    that was a month ago, and "you" already forgot about it.

How about you answer this question:
    http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...=1#post6817575

I know why you can't answer it. Because it never was your avatar, but you don't know if it ever was or was not.

Banned

Blog Entries
    Also note:
    ZippyJuan started this thread in World News & Affairs sub-forum, because he knows this is overall going to be seen as a positive.
    Anything Zippy would consider to be negative American foreign policy, He posts in the far more popular U.S. News & Politics sub-forum.
    @Zippyjuan

Ain't that right Zippy? You think you are one slickster, don't you?

Requesting to be moved to US News.
    Last edited by UWDude; 06-28-2019 at 09:35 PM.

Also note:
    ZippyJuan started this thread in World News & Affairs sub-forum, because he knows this is overall going to be seen as a positive.
    Anything Zippy would consider to be negative American foreign policy, He posts in the far more popular U.S. News & Politics sub-forum.
    @Zippyjuan

Ain't that right Zippy? You think you are one slickster, don't you?

Requesting to be moved to US News.
    I second that.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

FM director-general makes clear DPRK’s stand on negotiations with US

http://www.pyongyangtimes.com.kp/?bbs=30494

2019-06-28

Kwon Jong Gun, director-general of the Department of American Affairs of the DPRK Foreign Ministry, released the following statement on Thursday:

The United States is now talking much about the DPRK-US dialogue, but in reality, it is becoming more and more desperate in its hostile acts against the DPRK.

The DPRK-US dialogue would not open by itself though the US repeatedly talks about resumption of dialogue like a parrot without considering any realistic proposal that would fully conform with the interests of both sides.

As the Chairman of the State Affairs Commission has already declared in his historic policy speech, the US should come out to the table for the DPRK-US dialogue with a correct method of calculation and the time limit is until the end of this year.

Even though we are to think of holding a dialogue with the US, we need first to see a proper approach towards the negotiation on the part of the US. Negotiation should be conducted with a counterpart who has a good sense of communication, and it could also be possible only when the US comes up with a proper counterproposal.

In case the US intends to sit with folded arms like today, time might be enough. However, if the US is to move towards producing a result, time will not be enough.

The US would be well advised to bear in mind that our repeated warning is not merely an empty word.

I would also take this opportunity to say a word to the south Korean authorities who are trying to refurbish their image by giving a publicity as if they are "mediating" the DPRK-US relations.

The south Korean authorities are now stirring up public opinion as if a sort of dialogue is being held between the north and the south, in order to find their own place to stand while affecting to make their presence felt by taking a share in the process.

In the true sense of the word, parties to the DPRK-US dialogue are none other than the DPRK and the US, and in view of the origin of the DPRK-US hostility, the south Korean authorities have nothing to meddle in the dialogue.

As is globally known, the DPRK-US relations are moving forward on the basis of the personal relations between Comrade Chairman of the State Affairs Commission and the US President.

If we have anything to liaise with the US, it will be simply done through the liaison channel already under operation between the DPRK and the US, and the negotiation, if any, will be held face to face between the DPRK and the US. Therefore, there will be no such a happening where anything will go through the south Korean authorities.

The south Korean authorities are now giving a wide publicity as if the north and the south are having various forms of exchanges and closed-door meetings, but the reality is the contrary.

The south Korean authorities had better mind their own internal business.

I don't even see why they need to have any meetings anymore. Trump said he solved the nuclear problems with North Korea.

U.S. President Donald Trump will meet Sunday with North Korea's Kim Jong Un at the Demilitarized Zone separating the North and South, a day after he issued an unprecedented invitation and expressed willingness to cross the border for what would be a history-making photo op.

South Korean President Moon Jae-in announced that Kim accepted Trump's invitation to meet when the U.S. president visits the heavily fortified site at the Korean border village of Panmunjom.

Moon praised the two leaders for ''being so brave'' to hold the meeting and said, ''I hope President Trump will go down in history as the president who achieves peace on Korean Peninsula.''

Trump said he looked forward to meeting with Kim, but sought to tamp down expectations, predicting it would be ''very short,'' he said. ''Virtually a handshake, but that's OK. A handshake means a lot.''

Officials spent Sunday morning working out logistical and security details, Trump said during an earlier appearance with Moon.

More at: http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/nati...03_271476.html

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Banned

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    U.S. President Donald Trump will meet Sunday with North Korea's Kim Jong Un at the Demilitarized Zone separating the North and South, a day after he issued an unprecedented invitation and expressed willingness to cross the border for what would be a history-making photo op.

South Korean President Moon Jae-in announced that Kim accepted Trump's invitation to meet when the U.S. president visits the heavily fortified site at the Korean border village of Panmunjom.

Moon praised the two leaders for ''being so brave'' to hold the meeting and said, ''I hope President Trump will go down in history as the president who achieves peace on Korean Peninsula.''

Trump said he looked forward to meeting with Kim, but sought to tamp down expectations, predicting it would be ''very short,'' he said. ''Virtually a handshake, but that's OK. A handshake means a lot.''

Officials spent Sunday morning working out logistical and security details, Trump said during an earlier appearance with Moon.

More at: http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/nati...03_271476.html
    And the world will hold its breath. Will the black hand show again? Let us pray not.

Trump is meeting with Kim right now.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Donald Trump has become the first sitting US president to set foot in North Korea, after meeting Kim Jong-un in the area dividing the two Koreas.
    Mr Trump and the North Korean leader posed for handshakes before talking for nearly an hour in the heavily fortified demilitarised zone (DMZ).
    Both countries agreed to set up teams to resume stalled nuclear talks.

The encounter had initially been billed as a short greeting but Mr Trump and Mr Kim ended up talking for almost an hour in a building known as the Freedom House, on the South Korean side.

Speaking next to Mr Trump in a rare statement to the press, Mr Kim said the meeting was a symbol of their "excellent" relationship.

Calling their friendship "particularly great", Mr Trump - who once referred to Mr Kim as "little rocket man" - said it was a "great day for the world" and that he was "proud to step over the line" between the Koreas.

Negotiators from the two countries will meet in the next weeks to resume discussions about North Korea's nuclear programme, Mr Trump told reporters, saying he was "not looking for speed [but] looking to get it right."

Sanctions on North Korea, he added, would remain in place though he appeared to leave open the possibility of easing them as part of the talks. Mr Trump also said he had invited Mr Kim to visit Washington.

More at: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-48814975

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment