Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Marijuana legalization may hit 40 states. Now what?

Marijuana legalization may hit 40 states. Now what?

More than 40 U.S. states could allow some form of legal marijuana by the end of 2020, including deep red Mississippi and South Dakota — and they’re doing it with the help of some conservatives.

State lawmakers are teeing up their bills as legislative sessions kick off around the country, and advocates pushing ballot measures are racing to collect and certify signatures to meet deadlines for getting their questions to voters.

Should they succeed, every state could have marijuana laws on the books that deviate from federal law, but people could still be prosecuted if they drive across state lines with their weed, because the total federal ban on marijuana isn’t expected to budge any time soon. The changes could usher in even more confusion for law enforcement and escalate the pressure on Congress to act. Federal bills are crawling through Congress, with Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell firmly against legalization.

But at the least, hopes will be high that federal hurdles to researching the effects of pot and restrictions on banking in the cannabis sector will ease.

“We’re cautiously optimistic that we can win more marijuana reform ballot initiatives on one Election Day than on any previous Election Day,” said Matthew Schweich, deputy director of the Marijuana Policy Project. Schweich cited growing public support for the issue among both liberals and conservatives.
    More:

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/0...al-laws-100688

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Marijuana should be decriminalized as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Globalist View Post
    it is in ohio...and the BEAT GOES ON

cops do WHATEVER THEY WANT
    FLIP THOSE FLAGS, THE NATION IS IN DISTRESS!

why I should worship the state (who apparently is the only party that can possess guns without question).
    The state's only purpose is to kill and control. Why do you worship it? - Sola_Fide

Baptiste said.
    At which point will Americans realize that creating an unaccountable institution that is able to pass its liability on to tax-payers is immoral and attracts sociopaths?

Tomatoes are legal and you can even grow them and eat the ones you grow. You can purchase seeds for tomatoes and do with them as you wish.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Globalist View Post
    It's considered to be decriminalized in 15 states; you still have to pay a fine in those states and in some of them possession of small amounts is still a misdemeanor. Cultivating a single plant is even a felony in some of the decriminalized states.

Decriminalization is a way to keep criminal gangs in power while not punishing the drug users. Without legalization, legal cannabis sellers won't sell or cultivate.

Most of these states either have decriminalized cannabis possession or have taxed it so high that many drug users would rather just buy from the criminal gangs and avoid the tax.

Show me one state that has legalized cannabis and hasn't levied a sales tax higher than what citizens pay for common items at Wal-Mart.

Quote Originally Posted by revgen View Post
    Decriminalization is a way to keep criminal gangs in power while not punishing the drug users. Without legalization, legal cannabis sellers won't sell or cultivate.

Most of these states either have decriminalized cannabis possession or have taxed it so high that many drug users would rather just buy from the criminal gangs and avoid the tax.

Show me one state that has legalized cannabis and hasn't levied a sales tax higher than what citizens pay for common items at Wal-Mart.
    Bull$#@!.. Often repeated,,but still complete Bull$#@!..

Prices even after Tax are so much lower than any Street Prices since the 70s.

And one State is Washington.. They actually LOWERED the tax on Cannabis after the first year.. still 37% tax..

Show me a Black Market Dealer that has nice 70% Crumble at $8 a gram.

There are more than a Half dozen stores nearby,, that compete for business.

My favorite.. (uncompensated endorsement)
    https://potguide.com/washington/mari...w/420-holiday/
    https://www.allbud.com/dispensaries/...ew/420-holiday

Last edited by pcosmar; 01-20-2020 at 03:15 PM.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

Quote Originally Posted by pcosmar View Post
    Bull$#@!.. Often repeated,,but still complete Bull$#@!..

Prices even after Tax are so much lower than any Street Prices since the 70s.

And one State is Washington.. They actually LOWERED the tax on Cannabis after the first year.. still 37% tax..

Show me a Black Market Dealer that has nice 70% Crumble at $8 a gram.

There are more than a Half dozen stores nearby,, that compete for business.

My favorite.. (uncompensated endorsement)
    https://www.allbud.com/dispensaries/...ew/420-holiday

That's good news for Washington residents.

It's not so good for those living in California.

Are High Taxes and Regulations Crippling the Adult Use Marijuana Market in California?

The high taxes and mountains of regulations that recreational cannabis businesses in California face is a subject I’ve covered a couple of times before. It has now been 3 full months since adult use sales became legal in the state, and in that short time there has been a lot of noise made about how much higher the state of CA has made legal marijuana prices for shops that are legally licensed.

I say the “shops that are legally licensed” because by most estimates, the number of unlicensed shops littered throughout the state dwarfs the number of licensed businesses. Those shops don’t face the regulatory scrutiny or pay the taxes that licensed shops do. Add into the mix all of the illegal dealers that operate completely outside the regulatory framework the state has set up for both medical and recreational marijuana and you can easily see the disadvantage the licensed operators face, from growers to sellers.

Reason TV recently took a look at this problem, analyzing a legal and licensed cannabis product from seed to sale in CA. The entire video – “California’s Legal Weed Is So Heavily Taxed and Regulated That the Black Market Might Survive” – can be seen below.
    https://www.marijuanatimes.org/are-h...in-california/

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Yeah well,,California has more problems than that.. but I still call foul..

I hate tax,,but that has been the Bribe that has made retail sales possible.

And the numbers thrown around indicate a Thriving Business.. I am buying product both in Oregon and Washington cheaper than I could prior to Legalization..

before moving the Cheapest I saw was $60 Quarter.. I buy the same or BETTER at $10 to $20..

Show me different. I think it is major Butt-hurt from those that refused to invest in the market.

Because there are no Dealers selling that cheap. or stocking the Variety.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

It's all about Freedom

The medical market in CA is limping along, I am definitely paying almost half of what I used to pay in the black market, and the old medical market before it was legalized for that matter.

But there are still plenty of issues, it is tough to find a non-medical legal store in most places.
    Last edited by dannno; 01-20-2020 at 03:59 PM.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    The medical market in CA is limping along, I am definitely paying almost half of what I used to pay in the black market, and the old medical market before it was legalized for that matter.

But there are still plenty of issues, it is tough to find a non-medical legal store in most places.
    Local Politics in some areas,,inbred political machines everywhere get in the way.

But there is no black market dealer anywhere ever,,, that could have the selection available in any one of several stores around.

I used to transport to the Midwest.. I think I am familiar with the underground market.
    Ron Paul 2004

It's all about Freedom

Black Market always survives.

End of Story.

...more arrests & seizures?
    FLIP THOSE FLAGS, THE NATION IS IN DISTRESS!

why I should worship the state (who apparently is the only party that can possess guns without question).
    The state's only purpose is to kill and control. Why do you worship it? - Sola_Fide

Baptiste said.
    At which point will Americans realize that creating an unaccountable institution that is able to pass its liability on to tax-payers is immoral and attracts sociopaths?

Quote Originally Posted by jkr View Post
    ...more arrests & seizures?
    What I can't believe is that they are still at it with the propaganda..

New research shows marijuana and heart problems could be linked

New research shows that smoking pot could have some of the same cardiovascular risks as smoking tobacco

https://www.wfmynews2.com/article/ne...c-e3aeeceec93b
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Especially with vaping, a lot of people won't want to go black market. All those vaping deaths you heard about a few months ago were from black market cartridges with synthetic marijuana.

Quote Originally Posted by Grandmastersexsay View Post
    Especially with vaping, a lot of people won't want to go black market. All those vaping deaths you heard about a few months ago were from black market cartridges with synthetic marijuana.
    cartridges used vitamin e as a thinner.
    “[T]he enshrinement of constitutional rights necessarily takes certain policy choices off the table.” (Heller, 554 U.S., at ___, 128 S.Ct., at 2822.)

How long before "going liberal" replaces "going postal"?

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by mrsat_98 View Post
    cartridges used vitamin e as a thinner.
    That isn't what was killing people. There was the vitamin E issue that caused some lung irritation in some people. The synthetic marijuana is what was killing people. Bad stuff.

That isn't what was killing people. There was the vitamin E issue that caused some lung irritation in some people. The synthetic marijuana is what was killing people. Bad stuff.
    Pretty sure they were saying it was lipoid pneumonia that was caused by the vitamin E acetate.

The thing is, though, there are 8 different ways to make vitamin E acetate. One of the ways to make it is using petroleum, and apparently that stuff is really bad to vape.

So it could be that some vapes that contained vitamin E acetate were ok, or at least not nearly as bad, as some of the ones that were using the wrong type.

I don't know what you mean by synthetic marijauna, besides that K9 stuff they used to sell a lot like 10 years or so ago.

Yeah well,,California has more problems than that.. but I still call foul..

I hate tax,,but that has been the Bribe that has made retail sales possible.

And the numbers thrown around indicate a Thriving Business.. I am buying product both in Oregon and Washington cheaper than I could prior to Legalization..

before moving the Cheapest I saw was $60 Quarter.. I buy the same or BETTER at $10 to $20..

Show me different. I think it is major Butt-hurt from those that refused to invest in the market.

Supply outpacing demand.
    If the prices are so good, why do so many purchase from the black market?

"We’re the only state to go recreational and see a year-over-year reduction in legal sales," UCBA president Jerred Kiloh said."

“Despite the state’s committed efforts to bring cannabis businesses fully into the regulated commercial market,” the report said, “as much as 80% of the cannabis market in California remains illicit.”

Quote Originally Posted by tebowlives View Post
    Supply outpacing demand.
    If the prices are so good, why do so many purchase from the black market?

"We’re the only state to go recreational and see a year-over-year reduction in legal sales," UCBA president Jerred Kiloh said."

“Despite the state’s committed efforts to bring cannabis businesses fully into the regulated commercial market,” the report said, “as much as 80% of the cannabis market in California remains illicit.”
    I think it's a mixed bag and depends on the area. If it's more convenient to go to a dealer, people will do so. As an example however, having been to Canada a few times last year and living in Amsterdam... Prices in Canada are about half from Amsterdam. Amsterdam coffeeshops are supplied by illegal grows and the quality is not regulated. That's according to expectations. However, if you have a government levying extreme taxes, then yes, people will go back to the black market.
    "I am a bird"

I don't know what you mean by synthetic marijauna, besides that K9 stuff they used to sell a lot like 10 years or so ago.
    Do you mean K2? Yes, that's what they are using. There are plenty of reports on it. Here is one.

https://thehill.com/policy/healthcar...juana-analysis

I call BS. 10-20 dollars for a quarter??? A gram costs that much. And the following prices, are pre tax. Select locales in California are facing combined state, local, excise, and wholesale tax rates of as high as 45%. Plus prices are rising.

from aug 2019
    "Overall you can expect to pay an average of around $16 a gram or $283 an ounce in California. That’s slightly higher than what you would have paid at this time last year, when the average for a gram was $14.
    Since recreational cannabis became legal on January 1, 2018, cannabis prices have inched up in California. That’s largely because there’s now a 15% excise tax on recreational marijuana. And that doesn’t include local government taxes."

Here are recreational dispensaries currently open in San Francisco:

City Store Name Average Price Per Gram
    San Francisco The Apothecarium — Castro $17
    San Francisco The Apothecarium — SoMa $17
    San Francisco The Barbary Coast $16
    San Francisco Grass Roots $15
    San Francisco The Green Cross SF N/A
    San Francisco Harvest Off Mission $14
    San Francisco Harvest Off Geary $14
    San Francisco Medithrive $18.50
    San Francisco Purple Star MD $16
    San Francisco Relief Herbal Cooperative $15
    San Francisco Sffogg $17
    San Francisco Shambhala Healing $18.50

https://marijuanarates.com/california-marijuana-prices/

I get $5 grams,, $10 1/8 commonly.. (I do hunt deals)

Paying $8 for a gram of 70% Crumble and that is after the 37% don't Phuck with me tax..

Now it is possible that some squatter is growing with no overhead,,,and can beat the price of a Store..
    When you can find him and when he has some and you get whatever crap he has to sell.

But there is no way some Fly by night dealer is going to have any decent selection.. You get what they got.

In both Oregon and Washington there were Private labs testing organic Produce for Pesticides or other contaminants..

It is On the Label,, Pesticides used if any.. and tested Content. (% thc,cbd,)

California has Multiple Problems,,, Excessively High Rent is likely more a factor than the tax.

edit..
    Menu for the Freedom Market,, (a multi-store Chain)

https://www.leafly.com/dispensary-info/freedom-market
    Last edited by pcosmar; 01-21-2020 at 08:50 PM.
    Ron Paul 2004

It's all about Freedom

Do you mean K2? Yes, that's what they are using. There are plenty of reports on it. Here is one.

https://thehill.com/policy/healthcar...juana-analysis
    Hmm, doesn't seem to connect it to lipoid pneumonia tho.. that was supposedly caused by the vitamin e which is a lipoid.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I call BS. 10-20 dollars for a quarter??? A gram costs that much. And the following prices, are pre tax. Select locales in California are facing combined state, local, excise, and wholesale tax rates of as high as 45%. Plus prices are rising.

from aug 2019
    "Overall you can expect to pay an average of around $16 a gram or $283 an ounce in California. That’s slightly higher than what you would have paid at this time last year, when the average for a gram was $14.
    Since recreational cannabis became legal on January 1, 2018, cannabis prices have inched up in California. That’s largely because there’s now a 15% excise tax on recreational marijuana. And that doesn’t include local government taxes."

San Francisco Sffogg $17

He's right.

I can buy a $20 gram, but I can also buy an ounce for $100-$120 in CA from some medical dispesnaries. That comes out to about $4/gram. It isn't quite as good as the $20 gram on average, but I have had some fairly spectacular $100-$120 ounces from the medical market.

Great for my business plan, I just started a small security firm in Colorado specializing in marijuana security. Have one contract definite and 2 pending, and haven't even had the LLC filing returned yet...

I'll be the now 3rd state in this thread to vouch on prices...grow up. The prices aren't that different here in Colorado between stores and the street.

Recreational flower is $75-100/oz out the door all day long, medical I've seen as low as $40/oz tested and certified not have used any poisons during the process. The underground growers are not subject to these rules, nor to they give a $#@! if you end up smoking banned pesticides and fungicides.

Concentrates are as low as $10/gram here.

Pre rolled 1 gram wax infused joints are $5. Regular joints are $3.75.

Edibles are a little pricey to me, but that's probably because they don't do jack $#@! to me.

I also don't have to wait for Darnell to get off his bar back job at 1am to get a bag anymore, now I just have to make it to my store after 8am and before 11 pm, and not worry about going to jail on the way home.
    Last edited by CoastieInColorado; 01-22-2020 at 09:32 AM.

He's right.

I can buy a $20 gram, but I can also buy an ounce for $100-$120 in CA from some medical dispesnaries. That comes out to about $4/gram. It isn't quite as good as the $20 gram on average, but I have had some fairly spectacular $100-$120 ounces from the medical market.
    No he's not. a 10-20 a quarter would make an ounce 40-80 and that's without the normal discount given when one buys an ounce. I don't see a dispensary advertise 80 an ounce much less 40. It's no where near the norm.
    Last edited by tebowlives; 01-22-2020 at 09:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by CoastieInColorado View Post
    Great for my business plan, I just started a small security firm in Colorado specializing in marijuana security. Have one contract definite and 2 pending, and haven't even had the LLC filing returned yet...

I'll be the now 3rd state in this thread to vouch on prices...grow up. The prices aren't that different here in Colorado between stores and the street.

Recreational flower is $75-100/oz out the door all day long, medical I've seen as low as $40/oz tested and certified not have used any poisons during the process. The underground growers are not subject to these rules, nor to they give a $#@! if you end up smoking banned pesticides and fungicides.

Concentrates are as low as $10/gram here.

Pre rolled 1 gram wax infused joints are $5. Regular joints are $3.75.

Edibles are a little pricey to me, but that's probably because they don't do jack $#@! to me.

I also don't have to wait for Darnell to get off his bar back job at 1am to get a bag anymore, now I just have to make it to my store after 8am and before 11 pm, and not worry about going to jail on the way home.
    Recreational flower? That's another term used for weak weed. lol
    Medical as low as $40 an ounce? LMAO Yea and I've seen a Super Bowl ticket go for $40 too. I had the buddy most of us had. He said he could get great deals on weed except when we asked him, he couldn't get it.

Anyone can do a simple google search and see the prices and no where do I see $40 an ounce. Could someone charge that much as a special? Sure but to act like that's the norm is a joke. I see shake advertised for close to that little ~60-80 and ounce. Good luck with that.
    Last edited by tebowlives; 01-22-2020 at 09:58 AM.

Recreational flower? That's another term used for weak weed. lol
    Medical as low as $40 an ounce? LMAO Yea and I've seen a Super Bowl ticket go for $40 too. I had the buddy most of us had. He said he could get great deals on weed except when we asked him, he couldn't get it.

Anyone can do a simple google search and see the prices and no where do I see $40 an ounce. Could someone charge that much as a special? Sure but to act like that's the norm is a joke. I see shake advertised for close to that little ~60-80 and ounce. Good luck with that.
    https://weedmaps.com/dispensaries/dr...D%5B%5D=flower

That's med prices, non member. I know for a fact he does $40-50 member med ounces- he's one of my clients. Everywhere does $100 rec ounces out the door, sometimes cheaper.

If you knew anything about, well ,anything, you'd know there's absolutely no difference whatsoever between rec and med, and that these THC percentages mean $#@!...

Blue tag/yellow tag. One's cheaper on taxes and start up costs. And that's it.

And, our recreational outdoor(lowest quality possible)"weak weed" tested on the lower end 18% (lemon sour diesel), and one of the strains was 32%, I can't remember which one right this second, but here's two of our tests...

I don't deal with my "buddies" out here, it's comical you mock as if I'm trying to impress you or anyone else here with what the grows I'm affiliated are capable of, and the prices out here and I look forward to seeing the results of your tested super strong outdoor "recreational" marijuana that you buddies grow, no doubt.......lol
    Last edited by CoastieInColorado; 01-22-2020 at 05:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CoastieInColorado View Post
    https://weedmaps.com/dispensaries/dr...D%5B%5D=flower

That's med prices, non member. I know for a fact he does $40-50 member med ounces- he's one of my clients. Everywhere does $100 rec ounces out the door, sometimes cheaper.

If you knew anything about, well ,anything, you'd know there's absolutely no difference whatsoever between rec and med, and that these THC percentages mean $#@!...

Blue tag/yellow tag. One's cheaper on taxes and start up costs. And that's it.

And, our recreational outdoor(lowest quality possible)"weak weed" tested on the lower end 18% (lemon sour diesel), and one of the strains was 32%, I can't remember which one right this second, but here's two of our tests...

I don't deal with my "buddies" out here, it's comical you mock as if I'm trying to impress you or anyone else here with what the grows I'm affiliated are capable of, and the prices out here and I look forward to seeing the results of your tested super strong outdoor "recreational" marijuana that you buddies grow, no doubt.......lol
    All you've done is run your mouth and have provided no proof. Me, me, me I, I ,I. You've already made up that weed prices are 40-80 an ounce. Why believe anything else you say?

Again I've done a simple google search and the prices you state are not available. That you try and make it to be the norm is laughable. I've already provided a link that proved your statements incorrect. They are nowhere near the norm and to say otherwise after all the available proof is dishonest. The cheap prices are for shake. Why sure that's medical. Why it's all medical.

Lets try this again and see if you ignore my post. Lets see if you deflect.
    Again

from aug 2019

San Francisco Sffogg $17

Last edited by tebowlives; 01-22-2020 at 08:07 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast