Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Trump's military parade expected to cost a cool $100 million

US President Donald Trump on Friday said he would attend a November celebration in Paris marking the end of World War I, hours after a military parade planned for the same time in Washington was postponed over soaring costs.Trump said he had in fact canceled that event, blaming local politicians for charging a "ridiculously high" price and vowing to "attend the big parade already scheduled at Andrews Air Force Base on a different date, & go to the Paris parade, celebrating the end of the War, on November 11th."

"The local politicians who run Washington, D.C. (poorly) know a windfall when they see it," Trump said Friday.
    "When asked to give us a price for holding a great celebratory military parade, they wanted a number so ridiculously high that I cancelled it."
    "Never let someone hold you up!" he added.

More at: https://www.yahoo.com/news/trump-say...004334345.html
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    US President Donald Trump on Friday said he would attend a November celebration in Paris marking the end of World War I, hours after a military parade planned for the same time in Washington was postponed over soaring costs.Trump said he had in fact canceled that event, blaming local politicians for charging a "ridiculously high" price and vowing to "attend the big parade already scheduled at Andrews Air Force Base on a different date, & go to the Paris parade, celebrating the end of the War, on November 11th."

"The local politicians who run Washington, D.C. (poorly) know a windfall when they see it," Trump said Friday.
    "When asked to give us a price for holding a great celebratory military parade, they wanted a number so ridiculously high that I cancelled it."
    "Never let someone hold you up!" he added.

More at: https://www.yahoo.com/news/trump-say...004334345.html
    What would you say is a reasonable price for a military parade, Swordsmyth?

20 million?
    “The nationalist not only does not disapprove of atrocities committed by his own side, but he has a remarkable capacity for not even hearing about them.” --George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by AuH20 View Post
    In terms of a full spectrum candidate, Rand is leaps and bounds above Trump. I'm not disputing that.
    Who else in public life has called for a pre-emptive strike on North Korea?--Donald Trump

Quote Originally Posted by kcchiefs6465 View Post

20 million?
    I lack the necessary information but I would think you could do a pretty good parade for less than that.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by kcchiefs6465 View Post

20 million?
    https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...st/1017161002/

DC Mayor Muriel Bowser says District's parade cost estimates lower than Trump's claims

WASHINGTON – President Donald Trump blamed the Washington, D.C., government Friday for his decision to cancel a proposed military parade – though Washington officials denied his claim and many federal agencies also raised concerns about the cost and logistics.

Washington Mayor Muriel Bowser said Friday via Twitter that the District's cost estimate was only $21.6 million, closer to the administration's $12 million projection from February. On Thursday, Pentagon officials told CNN the actual costs would be $92 million, or $80 million more than the original estimate.

"The local politicians who run Washington, D.C. (poorly) know a windfall when they see it," Trump tweeted. "When asked to give us a price for holding a great celebratory military parade, they wanted a number so ridiculously high that I cancelled it. Never let someone hold you up!"

Trump also announced he would attend a smaller parade already scheduled for Joint Base Andrews, as well as a Nov. 11 parade in Paris to mark the 100th anniversary of the end of World War I.

"Maybe we will do something next year in D.C. when the cost comes WAY DOWN," Trump tweeted. "Now we can buy some more jet fighters!"

Bowser said the proposed parade carried significant concerns for taxpayers, and she mocked Trump for his complaints.

"Yup, I’m Muriel Bowser, mayor of Washington DC, the local politician who finally got thru to the reality star in the White House with the realities ($21.6M) of parades/events/demonstrations in Trump America (sad)," she said in a sub-tweet.

6. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Right. Yet posted without comment.

Let me ask you then, Zippy.

What is a reasonable cost of a military parade?
    “The nationalist not only does not disapprove of atrocities committed by his own side, but he has a remarkable capacity for not even hearing about them.” --George Orwell

In terms of a full spectrum candidate, Rand is leaps and bounds above Trump. I'm not disputing that.
    Who else in public life has called for a pre-emptive strike on North Korea?--Donald Trump

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Rand Paul back in February when the parade idea was getting attention:

If there is no clear and obvious victory...

Why do a parade? As veterans suffer...

Quote Originally Posted by Aratus View Post
    Why do a parade? As veterans suffer...
    The quick and simple answer is that they do not care about veterans and their suffering.

Also, it is not their money.

White House budget director Mick Mulvaney said Sunday that cost wasn’t the only factor in the cancelation of the military parade President Donald Trump wanted in Washington later this year.
    “If the parade had been canceled for purely fiscal reasons, I imagine I would have been in the room when that decision was made and I wasn’t, so my guess is there were other contributing factors,” Mulvaney said on “Fox News Sunday.”

“I like the mayor ― she seems like a nice lady ― but face it, this is a city that voted probably, I don’t know, 70 [or] 80 percent against the president,” he said. “So to think that maybe the city council of Washington, D.C., is not trying to help the president accomplish what he wants to accomplish shouldn’t be news to anybody.”
    Mulvaney underestimated how badly Trump lost the District of Columbia in the 2016 election ― Hillary Clinton carried it with about 91 percent of the vote.
    Representatives for the White House and Washington’s city council did not immediately respond to requests for comment.

More at: https://www.yahoo.com/news/mick-mulv...162648657.html

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

On 11/11 of 1918 a treaty was signed that ended World War 1.
    On 11/11 of 1938 violence sadly erupted all over the Third Reich.
    Until very recently large public memorials to our WW2 veterans
    and soldiers existed only at the state level, rather than in D.C
    due to the way the Nazis had a fetish about parades, uniforms,
    conformity and control. The New Left is indulging in hyperbole
    when thinking DJT is perhaps an esoteric ideological "clone" of
    the Nazi superstate dictator, however the acts of violence that
    this despot triggered hold an odium even to this very hour. The
    Treaty of Versailles has a legacy that is like a two-edged sword.

Lightbulb Boots on the ground in Washington D.C.

We would save a lot of Million$ by bringing the troops home, cutting off all foreign aid, and doubling the size of the parade.

#winning
    Last edited by RonZeplin; 08-19-2018 at 10:26 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    You only show up to attack Trump when he is wrong
    Make America the Land of the Free & the Home of the Brave again

15. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by RonZeplin View Post
    We would save a lot of Million$ by bringing the troops home, cutting off all foreign aid, and doubling the size of the parade.

#winning
    Rand has said this and hopefully Trump will listen.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    Blarg, blarg, blarg.

This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

"We" can't afford a parade.

http://www.usdebtclock.org/
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123