Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bundy Trial ends In Mistrial!

Bundy Trial ends In Mistrial!

Light, cast into the shadows, forced the hand of Judge Navarro to side with the defense for the first time in the Bunkerville Trials!

Mistrial declared in Bundy trial over withheld evidence

A judge declared a mistrial Wednesday morning in the Bunkerville standoff case involving rancher Cliven Bundy and other defendants, finding that the federal government improperly withheld evidence.

A new trial for Bundy, his sons Ammon and Ryan, and co-defendant Ryan Payne, on charges arising from the 2014 standoff with federal agents was set for early next year.

U.S. District Judge Gloria Navarro said that video surveillance, maps and FBI interview information was willfully withheld by the prosecution in violation of due process required by the U.S. Constitution.

Considered collectively, she said, the evidence that was withheld was favorable to the defendants and its untimely disclosure was prejudicial in that it “undermined the confidence of the outcome of the trial,” Navarro ruled.

Case law says that illegal suppression of evidence occurs when the government fails to turn over information that was available not only to the prosecution, but to federal investigative agencies, Navarro said. Thus information and reports obtained and created by the FBI and Bureau of Land Management were available to prosecutors and should have been made available to the defense, she said.

Since the start of trial in October, the defense has received 3,300 pages of discovery that was produced past deadline.
    Had the evidence been provided in a timely manner to the defense, attorneys for Bundy would have asked different questions of the jury, exercised their peremptory challenges differently and made stronger arguments during their opening statements, she said.

Navarro said she wanted to be clear that her order did not mean that the evidence was in fact exculpatory or that the defendants were not guilty.
    “That’s not my technical position, and it’s not a factual decision to be made by this court,” Navarro said. “The defense has a right to information so it can provide it to the jury so the jury can decide.”

The new trial, which must begin 70 days after an ordered mistrial, is set to begin Feb. 15.

After Navarro’s ruling, Ryan Bundy stood and requested amended release conditions for himself and his fellow defendants in light of the mistrial. Navarro said he would have to make his request to the pretrial office at a later time.

Moments after the ruling, a livestock semitrailer with “Ladybug Ranch” plastered on the back drove past the courthouse, blaring its horn.
    https://www.reviewjournal.com/news/b...held-evidence/

Hey, AUSA Myhre...

Last edited by phill4paul; 12-20-2017 at 03:26 PM.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    New trial in Feb 2018... $#@!ty luck
    There are only two things we should fight for. One is the defense of our homes and the other is the Bill of Rights. War for any other reason is simply a racket.
    -Major General Smedley Butler, USMC,
    Two-Time Congressional Medal of Honor Winner
    Author of, War is a Racket!

It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours.
    - Diogenes of Sinope

Quote Originally Posted by jllundqu View Post
    New trial in Feb 2018... $#@!ty luck
    That is just when it is scheduled. Has to be scheduled within 70 days of end of this trial. I have my doubts whether it will go forward.

Thought this thread was gonna be about Ted Bundy.

Disappointed.
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Donald Trump / Crenshaw 2024!!!!

My pronouns are he/him/his

God bless. How many times are these $#@!s going to try this case?
    “The nationalist not only does not disapprove of atrocities committed by his own side, but he has a remarkable capacity for not even hearing about them.” --George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by AuH20 View Post
    In terms of a full spectrum candidate, Rand is leaps and bounds above Trump. I'm not disputing that.
    Who else in public life has called for a pre-emptive strike on North Korea?--Donald Trump

Quote Originally Posted by TheTexan View Post
    Thought this thread was gonna be about Ted Bundy.

Disappointed.

Your buddy got the Chair.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

Government Withheld Exculpatory Evidence:

five key pieces of information that prosecutors did not disclose: records about surveillance and snipers at the Bundy Ranch; unredacted FBI logs about activity at the ranch in the days around the standoff; threat assessments about the Bundys dating to 2012; and internal affairs reports about the BLM.
    "Let it not be said that we did nothing." - Dr. Ron Paul. "Stand up for what you believe in, even if you are standing alone." - Sophie Magdalena Scholl
    "War is the health of the State." - Randolph Bourne "Freedom is the answer. ... Now, what's the question?" - Ernie Hancock.

Quote Originally Posted by Danke View Post
    Your buddy got the Chair.
    I was thinking of Al Bundy.

But I guess Ted is slightly more famous.
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Donald Trump / Crenshaw 2024!!!!

My pronouns are he/him/his

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by AZJoe View Post
    Government Withheld Exculpatory Evidence:

five key pieces of information that prosecutors did not disclose: records about surveillance and snipers at the Bundy Ranch; unredacted FBI logs about activity at the ranch in the days around the standoff; threat assessments about the Bundys dating to 2012; and internal affairs reports about the BLM.
    Navarro has been a bitch through these trials. Prejudiced as hell. Ammon asked for a release from house detention and his father in light of the revelations of the threat assessment. She told him he would have to take it up with a post trial judge. So the bitch stole Christmas. Because Cliven won't leave prison until everyone leaves.

The new trial, which must begin 70 days after an ordered mistrial, is set to begin Feb. 15.
    Doin' right ain't got no end.

Quote Originally Posted by sparebulb View Post
    Doin' right ain't got no end.

I predict if it goes again AUSA Myher won't be lead. He's 0-3. With a full unfettered disclosure, and the Brady revelations, he's gone. He's reached the pinnacle of his GS rating. Though I'm sure there is a lucrative partnership in a firm awaiting him.

Account Restricted. Admin to review account standing

Trump should pardon Bundy in light of these recent revelations. Stone needs to keep bothering him.

Quote Originally Posted by AuH20 View Post
    Trump should pardon Bundy in light of these recent revelations. Stone needs to keep bothering him.
    You have to be convicted to get a pardon, but, whatever......

The Mistrial Comes After a BLM WhistleBlower Exposed Willful Withholding of Evidence:

The memo comes from Larry Wooten, who had been the lead case agent and investigator for the U.S. Bureau of Land Management … Wooten also testified before a federal grand jury that returned indictments against the Bundys. …

he was removed from the investigation last February after he complained to the U.S. Attorney’s Office …

Then Wooten sent a whistleblower email to the U.S. Department of Justice, alleging a “widespread pattern of bad judgment, lack of discipline, incredible bias, unprofessionalism and misconduct, as well as likely policy, ethical and legal violations among senior and supervisory staff” at the Bureau …

supervisory agents with the bureau repeatedly mocked the defendants in an “amateurish carnival atmosphere” that resembled something out of middle school, displayed “clear prejudice” against the Bundys, their supporters and Mormons, and prominently displayed degrading altered booking photos of Cliven Bundy and other defendants …

The memo described “heavy handedness” by government officers as they prepared to impound Cliven Bundy’s cattle. … officers “bragged about roughing up Dave Bundy, grinding his face into the ground and Dave Bundy having little bits of gravel stuck in his face.”

Wooten contends that supervisory agents failed to turn over required discovery evidence to the prosecution team that could help the defense or be used to question the credibility of a witness, as required by law.
    "Let it not be said that we did nothing." - Dr. Ron Paul. "Stand up for what you believe in, even if you are standing alone." - Sophie Magdalena Scholl
    "War is the health of the State." - Randolph Bourne "Freedom is the answer. ... Now, what's the question?" - Ernie Hancock.

More BLM Corruption from the Free Thought Project:

Additionally, lead agents on the case “instigated” monitoring of jail phone calls without the consent of the U.S. Attorney’s Office or the FBI – essentially going rogue – until Nevada’s acting U.S. attorney Steven Myhre, who is leading the prosecution, put an end to the illicit surveillance.

The memo by Wooten accused special agent-in-charge of the Bunkerville/Gold Butte operation for the BLM, Dan Love, of intentionally ignoring U.S. Attorney’s Office directives and his BLM superiors “in order to command the most intrusive, oppressive, large-scale and militaristic trespass cattle impound possible.”

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    You have to be convicted to get a pardon, but, whatever......
    Ford pardoned Nixon without a conviction.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

"I believe there is no jury in this country that will convict us," Ammon Bundy said. "We have something most powerful, and that's the truth."

I do hope that is true.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    Can they sue?
    They've spent 677+ days in jail. What do you think?

Well, I'm no legal expert but I would say compensation is in order.

If it were in Springfield, Oregon, they would be charged $60 per day for room and board.

That would be $40,620 per man.

Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    Well, I'm no legal expert but I would say compensation is in order.
    The government is going to have to consider the pay out to the gambit of a new trial. That, to me, is the deciding factor at this point. That, and loss of face.

I won't consider it over until the Cattle Rustling Mercenaries are disarmed and arrested and charged.. Just as Cliven had asked of Law enforcement from the beginning.

and identities of the perpetrators are known.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

AG Sessions orders examination of Bundy case after mistrial over prosecution bungling

By Valerie Richardson – The Washington Times – Thursday, December 21, 2017

Attorney General Jeff Sessions stepped into the Bundy prosecution after Wednesday’s mistrial, ordering a third-party examination of the case in light of the latest government snafu.

“The attorney general takes this issue very seriously and has personally directed that an expert in the [Justice Department’s] discovery obligations be deployed to examine the case and advise as to the next steps,” said Ian D. Prior, the department’s principal deputy director of public affairs, in a late Wednesday statement.

The decision to intervene came after Chief U.S. District Court Judge Gloria Navarro declared a mistrial over the government’s “willful failure to disclose information” to the defense, saying it would have been “impossible” for the four co-defendants to receive a fair trial.
    https://www.oathkeepers.org/ag-sessi...tion-bungling/

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Has he awakened from his sleeping sickness? Or is this just for show?
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    My guess is he wants to replace Myhre with a competent prosecutor before the retrial.

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    I'm sure that he is responding to the perception that the prosecution is losing.......not that they are evil, illegal, and corrupt.

I'm sure he's there to get the prosecution back on track.

The Department of Justice (DOJ) has opened a probe into federal prosecutors of the recent trial of Nevada rancher Cliven Bundy …

After the prosecutions numerous missteps and “willful” withholding of evidence that would aid the Bundy’s defense, the judge ruled a mistrial Wednesday …

Attorney General Jeff Sessions “personally directed that an expert in the department’s discovery obligations be deployed to examine the case and advise as to next steps,” DOJ deputy director of public affairs Ian Prior told The Oregonian.

“This is every prosecutor’s nightmare,” retired federal prosecutor Kent Robinson said.

Weeks before … a memo written by a BLM agent assigned to investigate the agency’s actions during the 2014 raid on the Bundy ranch was released. The memo contained serious allegations of misconduct and likely illegal activities by BLM officials and prosecutors, led by acting Nevada U.S. Attorney Steven Myhre, throughout the raid and trial of Cliven Bundy.

Myhre had removed the agent responsible for the memo, Larry Wooten, from his position investigating the BLM in February, confiscating all his records and data. Wooten wrote his 18 page memo from memory and leaked it the DOJ.

...Oh, wrong thread, Peg!

Hmmm... Is it possible for Nevada to sue these federal agencies for obstructing the justice of one or more of its citizens, and conspiracy?
    The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding one’s self in the ranks of the insane.” — Marcus Aurelius

They’re not buying it. CNN, you dumb bastards!” — President Trump 2020

Consilio et Animis de Oppresso Liber

Why do people feel a mistrial is a win?

If, "After the prosecutions numerous missteps and “willful” withholding of evidence that would aid the Bundy’s defense, the judge ruled a mistrial Wednesday …" is true, a win would have been to proceed with the trial and win it because of the aforementioned. Instead, one team shows up for the super bowl with its star players and several get injured so the game is stopped and rescheduled for a future date.

The prosecutors screw up and a mistrial is declared and new trial set. The defense screw up and they would be found in contempt or whatever and incarcerated.

Why is this a win?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast