Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: NRA Caves On "Bump Fire Stocks," Says They Should Be "Subject To Additional Regulations"

Quote Originally Posted by jllundqu View Post
    We can agree to disagree. I don't think just anyone should be able to have Stinger Missiles, F16 Fighter Jets, Battleships, Nukes, or any of the other advanced weapons of war. You and I disagree on where the line is drawn. I state those things above to demonstrate the principle. I think there is a court case that spell it out somewhere, hat tip to anyone that can find it, but the 2nd amendment applies to the standard modern infantry rifle, in this case an M4/M16 platform semi-automatic rifle with single/3-round burst options.
    No, there is nothing written down, but it is assumed that since all the sections of the Bill of Rights protect individual rights, then that would be same.

There is no prohibition from buying F16s, tanks or even funding a battleship, if you so desired and had the funds.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    No, there is nothing written down, but it is assumed that since all the sections of the Bill of Rights protect individual rights, then that would be same.

There is no prohibition from buying F16s, tanks or even funding a battleship, if you so desired and had the funds.
    Once upon a time merchant ships were equipped just like warships, before the shipping magnates shifted the costs for their security problems onto the government navies.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

4. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Everything government gets involved in it $#@!s up.

We can agree to disagree. I don't think just anyone should be able to have Stinger Missiles, F16 Fighter Jets, Battleships, Nukes, or any of the other advanced weapons of war. You and I disagree on where the line is drawn. I state those things above to demonstrate the principle. I think there is a court case that spell it out somewhere, hat tip to anyone that can find it, but the 2nd amendment applies to the standard modern infantry rifle, in this case an M4/M16 platform semi-automatic rifle with single/3-round burst options.
    There is a marked difference between "arms" and "ordinance." And the second amendment specifically cites "arms." This term was meant to include all that which the militia of the time was required to bear. Knives, swords, rifles and pistols. As time has changed so have the weapons used by the standing military. I believe that individuals, who should be the rightful militia and defenders of this nation, should have the ability to affect the same weapons as a modern U.S. Army Fire Team. These are the weapons that would allow for the overthrow of tyranny or the suppression of riots and insurrection. This is what the founders had in mind.
    Last edited by phill4paul; 10-05-2017 at 05:58 PM.

According to the Natural Law, which is codified in the Constitution by the 2nd & 9th Amendments of the Bill of Rights, individuals can own any firearms, including rocket launchers, and explosives, including nuclear bombs, BUT property owners can only lawfully own an explosive with a blast radius small enough to only destroy their own property. If you own a bomb that has a blast radius large enough destroy my property as well, then that device is a threat to my life, liberty and property. I (and your other neighbors) have a Right to disarm and neutralize that threat.

There’s your line.
    Last edited by Gumba of Liberty; 10-05-2017 at 06:12 PM.

Who cares? No professional shooter or soldier wants fully automatic fire. Hell in Vietnam they originally deployed M16s that were fully automatic. They found that they wasted so many rounds and didn't hit $#@! that they transitioned to 3 round burst.

I am fine if they get rid of 'bump stocks'.
    You should care because banning bump stocks will not stop someone from going full auto and full auto is scary to the gun grabbers. Eventually the push will be to ban anything that can be made full auto.
    9/11 Thermate experiments

Winston Churchhill on why the U.S. should have stayed OUT of World War I

"I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

"We as a country have lost faith and confidence in freedom." -- Ron Paul

"It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.

Are three round burst M16s allowed under current law without a special license? I don't know so I'm asking.

"I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

"It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    There is a marked difference between "arms" and "ordinance." And the second amendment specifically cites "arms." This term was meant to include all that which the militia of the time was required to bear. Knives, swords, rifles and pistols. As time has changed so have the weapons used by the standing military. I believe that individuals, who should be the rightful militia and defenders of this nation, should have the ability to affect the same weapons as a modern U.S. Army Fire Team. These are the weapons that would allow for the overthrow of tyranny or the suppression of riots and insurrection. This is what the founders had in mind.
    Yup.

Every American should be able to arm themselves with the equivalent of the weapons of a US Army fire team. That is select fire carbines, automatic machine guns and grenade launchers.
    The thought of this and that they may be used for nefarious purposes doesn't scare me a wit. Fear erodes liberty and the responsibility that comes with it.
    Nukes all around! Need a B2 for that?

Quote Originally Posted by jmdrake View Post
    Are three round burst M16s allowed under current law without a special license? I don't know so I'm asking.
    NO they are not, we must change that.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

13. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    No they are not legal without stamp.

There is a trigger available that shoots twice with every trigger pull that they have not attempted to ban yet though.

It has to do with how the gun functions (which is why the laws are absurd in the first place as it doesn't take long for someone to invent a way around their bull$#@! laws).

ETA: To wit, bump fire stocks.
    “The nationalist not only does not disapprove of atrocities committed by his own side, but he has a remarkable capacity for not even hearing about them.” --George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by AuH20 View Post
    In terms of a full spectrum candidate, Rand is leaps and bounds above Trump. I'm not disputing that.
    Who else in public life has called for a pre-emptive strike on North Korea?--Donald Trump

Every American should be able to arm themselves with the equivalent of the weapons of a US Army fire team. That is select fire carbines, automatic machine guns and grenade launchers.
    The thought of this and that they may be used for nefarious purposes doesn't scare me a wit. Fear erodes liberty and the responsibility that comes with it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Zippy, please post evidence that fire teams are given B2's and nukes.

Who cares? No professional shooter or soldier wants fully automatic fire. Hell in Vietnam they originally deployed M16s that were fully automatic. They found that they wasted so many rounds and didn't hit $#@! that they transitioned to 3 round burst.

No professional shooter would need it as it's purpose does not serve their need and every soldier would like it as another tool in their shed. There are two specific purposes for fully automatic fire. It is used as suppression fire to allow team mates to advance on a target. Whether to use an explosive or to allow a more advantageous shot. It is used in the face of overwhelming numbers in the event of a riot.
    They should not deny bump stocks anymore than the should regulate all full auto rifles.

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    NO they are not, we must change that.
    Quote Originally Posted by kcchiefs6465 View Post
    No they are not legal without stamp.

There is a trigger available that shoots twice with every trigger pull that they have not attempted to ban yet though.

It has to do with how the gun functions (which is why the laws are absurd in the first place as it doesn't take long for someone to invent a way around their bull$#@! laws).

ETA: To wit, bump fire stocks.
    Thanks! So that clarifies it. We are already beyond the government banning weapons that are typical infantry issue. And to answer @jllundqu, the case he was wondering about was the Heller case which upheld a ban on sawed off shotguns specifically because they are not what is a typical soldier uses.

What the $#@! are you talking about? Did you really not read what I wrote before responding?

Thanks! So that clarifies it. We are already beyond the government banning weapons that are typical infantry issue. And to answer @jllundqu, the case he was wondering about was the Heller case which upheld a ban on sawed off shotguns specifically because they are not what is a typical soldier uses.
    Never mind that they are great for urban combat.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

What the $#@! are you talking about? Did you really not read what I wrote before responding?
    You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to phill4paul again.

And no. He didn't read it.

Proggressive Godfathers FDR/Truman didn't take issue with atomizing hundreds of thousands of civilians going about their lives in cities of 0 strategic value - and it still took an army of conventional weapons, some which FDR had supplied the Soviets, to bring down the government. AND they still couldn't stop the Japanese Army from resisting British, Dutch, and American re-colonization of Asia.

The Bomb is a madman's weapon - a weapon of State-sponsored mass murder - nothing a popular rebellion would have any strategic use for. Don't be a tool.

22. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Personally I don't care too much about bump stocks either, but I do care about unilateral surrender on guns while getting nothing in return.

I won't "agree to disagree" with someone that stands against my rights.

You guys shouldn't either.

My rights are not open for a $#@!ing discussion and no... no I will not be interested in hearing your arguments or in compromise.

Just thought I'd drop this off in here... aimed at no one particular.

Quote Originally Posted by Raginfridus View Post
    Of course they did. About when did the NRA flip to propaganda for fake-o Neocons, instead of a watchdog for the second amendment?
    At least since 1934 when they helped write the National Firearms Act.
    __________________________________________________ ________________
    "A politician will do almost anything to keep their job, even become a patriot" - Hearst

Thumbs down

Why do you hate the 2nd Amendment?
    __________________________________________________ ________________
    "A politician will do almost anything to keep their job, even become a patriot" - Hearst

Quote Originally Posted by Raginfridus View Post
    Of course they did. About when did the NRA flip to propaganda for fake-o Neocons, instead of a watchdog for the second amendment?

Thats one I've been looking into for a couple years...
    They've actually never been Constitutionalists. They were set up to teach Yankee kids how to shoot after the war because southerners had whipped their butts when it came to marksmanship.
    Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    It's a balance between appeasing his supporters, appeasing the deep state and reaching his own goals.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Collins View Post
    At least since 1934 when they helped write the National Firearms Act.
    Good to know.

In the wake of the deadly Las Vegas shooting, three House Republicans have sent a letter to the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF) asking for the agency to reevaluate the legality of bump stocks or devices used to increase the discharge rate of a firearm. About a dozen of these devices were found in the hotel room of the Las Vegas shooter.
    The letter, penned by Reps. Adam Kinzinger, R-Illinois, with co-leaders Mike Gallagher, R-Wisconsin, and Martha McSally, R-Arizona, said: "Now is not a time to politicize a tragedy or bring politics into our grieving, but it is a time to reflect on what has happened and how we can work constructively on what can be done to curb the impact of these evil, deranged attackers."
    "The ATF must re-evaluate these devices, and it is my hope that they conclude these mechanisms violate the spirit, if not the letter, of the law. In the meantime, my colleagues and I will consider legislative options, because these fully-automatic simulator devices have no place in civil society," the letter added.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/house-g...ocks-legality/

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

This man wants to talk to you about guns!

31. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    No question we disagree.

SCOTUS decisions are not a valid point of reference. They are a political body, no doubt about it.

These are the same group of guys who said that slavery was legal under our constitution...

Civilians, the militia, should have access to all weapons, including nukes and heavy artillery.

Keep in mind, our military is run by civilians.

Theres no reason why similar protocols couldnt be put in place for the use of heavy weapons under the control of Constitutional state militias.

Its funny to me when people argue that somehow government is more responsible or trustworthy.

Historically, governments have been responsible for countless more deaths, destruction, wars, genocides and mass exterminations than any group of civilians or individuals.
    Last edited by unknown; 10-06-2017 at 01:57 AM.
    "An idea whose time has come cannot be stopped by any army or any government" - Ron Paul.

"To learn who rules over you simply find out who you arent allowed to criticize."

Don't need a weather man to know which way the wind blows

The prime directive of the NRA is not to support the right to keep and bear arms. It is essentially a trade organization for gun manufacturers. They are its primary source of funding. When they support that right, they do so because it benefits their primary funders, and when they oppose that right, they do so because it benefits their primary funders.

In the present case, I'm sure that if we looked into the details we's see how that applied. Perhaps major gun manufacturers who sell fully automatic weapons that are heavily regulated, and that people can't buy without the requisite federal tax, don't like having to compete with little individual proprietorships set up in garages putting out cheap pieces of plastic that many consumers will buy rather than jumping through the hoops to get fully automatic weapons.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast