Thread: Yes, modern music really does suck

Exclamation Yes, modern music really does suck

“Civilizations die from suicide, not by murder.” - Arnold Toynbee

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    There's been some good songs in recent years

It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Donald Trump / Crenshaw 2024!!!!

My pronouns are he/him/his

I liked Picture.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

Norah Jones is pretty awesome IMO

The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.

Lindsey Stirling is good:

Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

I never listen to the radio. At work, I'm more likely to stream Pandora.

Also, while I agree with this guy at the end that amazing music is still produced by more independent bands, I'm not sure if the outlook for them is totally bleak. No doubt, it has been hard, but some of these modern bands are adapting and trying to bypass the big Record Labels.

Sadly, I think he is right about many uses of electronics reducing Timbre. I have listened to different versions of music by KRAFTWERK and I think their goal was to create electronic music with great depth. I think a few modern bands like Ladytron or Apparat Organ Quartet have tried to take inspiration from this.

Once in a while, a sympathetic movie producer or director can try promoting different acts through their film scores. I think the first Matrix was able to do this and more recently Daft Punk in TRON: Legacy or M83 in OBLIVION.

I think Emancipator is an interesting take on modern electronics. It is some drum machine with some mixups for variety plus including a violinist who provides the Hooks. The also tour as a bigger group Emancipator Ensemble.

Last edited by VIDEODROME; 08-05-2018 at 09:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TheTexan View Post
    There's been some good songs in recent years

Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

Popular music sucks, that's not news.. go to a music festival. We are living Jim Morrison's dream.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Quote Originally Posted by Danke View Post

I don't think the genius of these artists will be fully appreciated until after they are dead. Like Van Gogh, or Monet.
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Donald Trump / Crenshaw 2024!!!!

My pronouns are he/him/his

It's doesn't help that the older musicians keep pushing themselves while overdosing on drugs.

I've totally abandoned the race-to-the-bottom-of-the-degeneracy-barrel culture that dominates the West. Tired of trying to pick out a signal from the overwhelming static of worthless noise.

Enter Japan. They're on another level over there and have left the West in the dust.

This is the intro to a very popular Japanese anime. Also of note is how much further advanced their illustration and animation techniques are (and their storytelling skills are similarly superior).

Personally I love it so much that I've been learning Japanese to understand it better, which has proven to be a fun task on its own.
    Last edited by thoughtomator; 08-06-2018 at 01:36 AM.

I have a few problems with this video, for one music is very subjective and I think he considers music evolution and streamlining to be a negative thing. So what people over the years have recognized what they like in their music and doubled down on it?

Also one point it says that we are being played similar sounding music all the time and the hooks come in sooner and sooner and that is order to fall in the with it sooner and sooner and then on a different part of the video complains how we rarely fall in love with music on first listening.

Eh, there's plenty of good music nowadays. It just takes effort to find it.
    Also I'm a huge fan of reissue labels like Finders Keepers and Light in the Attic who dig up long lost albums from the past.
    Last edited by milgram; 08-06-2018 at 04:28 PM.

I keep seeing modern and music and can't help but think of Modern English. I saw them last summer.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    Technology and production changes aside, he is talking about corporate pop music. Complex or groundbreaking music is the exception in that world, not the rule. The example of the Beatles later albums (Sgt. Peppers in particular) being high quality work is interesting. The only reason that albums like that could be created by them and supported by the industry is the fact that they gained massive popularity earlier on as bubblegum pop music.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Kids these days. Back when I was a kid, we had REAL music. (Can be quoted by every generation).

Kids these days. Back when I was a kid, we had REAL music. (Can be quoted by every generation).

https://www.theverge.com/2018/2/12/1...lt-taste-music

Our musical tastes peak as teens, says study

A New York Times analysis of Spotify data has found that the songs we listen to during our teen years set our musical taste as adults.

For men, the most important period for forming musical taste is between the ages of 13 to 16. Men were, on average, aged 14 when their favorite song was released. For women, the most important period is between 11 and 14, with 13 being the most likely age for when their favorite song came out. It also found that childhood influences were stronger for women than men and the key years for shaping taste were tied to the end of puberty.

The NYT analyzed every Billboard chart-topping song released between 1960 and 2000. Citing Radiohead’s “Creep” as an example, the NYT found the song is the 164th most popular song among 38-year-old men. These men would have been around 14 years old at the time the song was released in 1993, making that selection consistent with the analysis. “Creep” isn’t even in the top 300 songs for those born 10 years earlier or 10 years later. Meanwhile, “Just Like Heaven” by The Cure was released in 1987 and is popular with women aged 41, who would have been 11 at the time of the song’s release.

The data patterns certainly ring true for me. My favorite songs are Stereophonics’ “Dakota” and the Arctic Monkeys’ “505,” and both came out during my teenage years. I still also listen to Green Day and Linkin Park, which I constantly listened to during high school. (Don’t judge me). It’s also interesting to note that music women and men listened to in their early 20s were found to be only half as influential in deciding adult taste as the songs listened to during teenage years.

Most importantly though, the NYT reports that if you’re looking for some popular tunes to listen to on Valentine’s Day, (which is just two days away), it recommends Beyoncé’s “Crazy in Love” for 30-year-olds, Van Halen’s “When It’s Love” for 45-year-olds, and Marvin Gaye’s “Let’s Get It On” for those in their swingin’ 60s.
    A couple other studies I have seen says that adult men's taste in music tends to be what they were listening to in their early 20's- closest to age 23. Another said we tend to no longer pay attention to new music once we hit 30's.

https://www.wnyc.org/story/music-dis...33-says-study/

Study: New Music Discovery Stops at Age 33

Nowadays, 30 is the new 20. But in the music world, once you hit age 33, it's all over—time to pack-up those earbuds and go home.

That's according to an informal online study that compiled data from U.S. Spotify users and The Echo Nest, a music data and intelligence firm. After analyzing playlists and listening data, the study found that people stop discovering new music at age 33. Discovering Pearl Jam at 35-years-old or falling in love with some James Taylor tracks doesn't count—this study is focusing on new music you'd currently find on the Billboard charts.

“Two factors drive this transition away from popular music. First, listeners discover less-familiar music genres that they didn’t hear on FM radio as early teens, from artists with a lower popularity rank. Second, listeners are returning to the music that was popular when they were coming of age—but which has since phased out of popularity,” the study says.

So what's the key Takeaway? "For the average listener, by their mid-30s, their tastes have matured, and they are who they’re going to be," the study argues.
    Last edited by Zippyjuan; 08-06-2018 at 03:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    Technology and production changes aside, he is talking about corporate pop music. Complex or groundbreaking music is the exception in that world, not the rule. The example of the Beatles later albums (Sgt. Peppers in particular) being high quality work is interesting. The only reason that albums like that could be created by them and supported by the industry is the fact that they gained massive popularity earlier on as bubblegum pop music.
    ^^^^^^^ yeah, most radio aired music seems pretty blah.

... the real music is where you find it.

Don't need a weather man to know which way the wind blows

Quote Originally Posted by shakey1 View Post
    ^^^^^^^ yeah, most radio aired music seems pretty blah.

... the real music is where you find it.
    How to play percussive guitar (and ruin your top):

"Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    Never really been a Beatles fan. I like a few of their songs but IMO, they're not really that great.

Theres good music everywhere. You just need to know how to find it.
    "Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration is minding my own business."

Calvin Coolidge

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post

Our musical tastes peak as teens, says study
    Good to know. the high schoolers on our swim team, always brought a loud speaker and played music in the tent while waiting to swim every weekend. I never once heard them play any music post 2005. The vast majority was from 60's, 70's and 80's. guess our local kids just have better taste.

///
    “Civilizations die from suicide, not by murder.” - Arnold Toynbee

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.