Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Would you like the receipt?

Question Would you like the receipt?

The most often asked question I hear these days when shopping is "Would you like the receipt?" Is this a valid reason to be concerned about the economy?

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    No. The cost of thermal printers and thermal paper is extremely low. More likely employees just got tired of picking them up off the floors and out of the parking lots.

I generally say no. Receipts are actually pretty toxic.

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

Awareness is the Root of Liberation Revolution is Action upon Revelation

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.

...the familiar ritual of institutional self-absolution...
    ...for protecting them, by mock trial, from punishment...

I only keep one if I can deduct it from my taxes .

I'm hearing more "Do you have an email address" or "would you like to give us your email address"...

My response is typically, "Can I really trust you guys with that? Are you going to send me spam?" Then I smile, take my sh!t, and I go LOL. Same with warranty cards that ask me my demographics. So if I'm poor, hispanic, and 68, do I only get a 2 month warranty? What do my demographics have anything do with your ability to stand by your product?

As if my business isn't enough? Fk off, Jack Welch wannabe's... you know who you are. /rant

Gulag Chief:
    "Article 58-1a, twenty five years... What did you get it for?"
    Gulag Prisoner: "For nothing at all."
    Gulag Chief: "You're lying... The sentence for nothing at all is 10 years"

I don't want the receipt. I hear it mostly at food places, or grocery stores, where I've already paid cash and am not likely to return something. If I had an issue with a grocery item, the manager knows me and will generally be fine with swapping whatever it is out... but that doesn't happen often.

I know that I ask over the phone if someone wants a copy of their receipt, but that's largely because I would have to mail it to them, and even though the receipt masks their card number, some people hate that.
    Genuine, willful, aggressive ignorance is the one sure way to tick me off. I wish I could say you were trolling. I know better, and it's just sad.

Actually I think most business owners require the offer of the receipt for theft protection. There are places that will post if you are not offered/given a receipt your meal is free. Guess this stops employees from making the sale and not ringing it up.

Now asking for emails is a different story all together. Even when I pay cash they ask for Phone number/ email. they claim its for seeing where their customers are from but we all know its really to send you spam/junk mail.
    "Nobody wins in a Dairy Challenge" ~ Kenny Rogers, RIP

"When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken, or cease to be honest." ~ anonymous

“The fate of all mankind I see
    Is in the hands of fools” ~ King Crimson

Quote Originally Posted by sam1952 View Post
    Actually I think most business owners require the offer of the receipt for theft protection. There are places that will post if you are not offered/given a receipt your meal is free. Guess this stops employees from making the sale and not ringing it up.

Now asking for emails is a different story all together. Even when I pay cash they ask for Phone number/ email. they claim its for seeing where their customers are from but we all know its really to send you spam/junk mail.
    YOUR receipt prints out and is given to you. The register keeps a "copy" (whether electronic or on a twin roll of tape inside the machine) that generally cannot be accessed by the person working the register.
    Genuine, willful, aggressive ignorance is the one sure way to tick me off. I wish I could say you were trolling. I know better, and it's just sad.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by MelissaWV View Post
    YOUR receipt prints out and is given to you. The register keeps a "copy" (whether electronic or on a twin roll of tape inside the machine) that generally cannot be accessed by the person working the register.
    Can it be voided?

Nah, just give me the donut.

(kudos if you know the reference.)
    "And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works." - Bastiat

"It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." - Voltaire

Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    Can it be voided?
    Yes, but that appears as another transaction underneath. I was addressing the idea that receipt printouts are there to ensure the employees don't take things without ringing them up.

My husband wants the receipt if it's for a donut at Krispy Kreme.
    #NashvilleStrong

“I’m a doctor. That’s a baby.”~~~Dr. Manny Sethi

Actually was I was getting at was when you buy something the clerk will take your money, give you change but never ring it up on the register. Requiring giving a receipt stops this practice. It's a pretty common problem in a bar. All the bartender has to do is keep track of the number of a particular brand of beer. You pay, she brings the change, keep track of how many bottles she sold and at the end of the night take that cash out of the register and she balances. Same principle in the donut shop.

"Nah, just give me the donut.

(kudos if you know the reference.) "

Yeah I got the reference, no need for paper in this transaction, lol

"When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken, or cease to be honest." ~ anonymous

If I had an issue with a grocery item, the manager knows me and will generally be fine with swapping whatever it is out... .
    The IRS requires the original receipt.

Quote Originally Posted by angelatc View Post
    That is why I keep any related to farm and business expenses , I am writing those off . by spring 2017 , now that I am retired I may get to the point where I can show I am under the income limit , then I may no longer bother with it .

Actually was I was getting at was when you buy something the clerk will take your money, give you change but never ring it up on the register. Requiring giving a receipt stops this practice.
    I worked at a convenience store that did that. It was easy to get around because the clerks would ask the customer ahead of time if he wanted a receipt.

The rule was you either had to ask the customer if he wanted the receipt, or just lay it on the counter/put it in the bag. You could then let the receipts pile up, not ring up a customer, and lay the wrong receipt on the counter. You also had regular customers, so the clerks could remember who wanted their receipt. Most did not.

One time, this guy left the store and came back in. He tried to game the rule that said a customer not getting a receipt before exiting received $5.00. He claimed I did not give him a receipt, but I left it on the counter. This prick argued with me about it. Said he was going to follow-up with it, but I doubt he did that since he was some redneck f*ck.

I remember a guy who worked there who always pretended to be a straight arrow, but I'm sure he loaded up on money. Also, the manager would come in and grab a pack of cigarettes off the shelf. He never rang it up, but always told me he would ring it up later. Yeah, sure. I talked with an employee after I left, asking about that manager. I'll never forget her saying, "Tim got fired. HE'S A THIEF!" The funny thing was that SHE was also a thief. Then, there was that very slightly plump girl who also worked there, who was probably a thief too. She was dumb as rocks, but had a pretty face; and I regretted later not going out with her and trying to get a hand job or something. Ah, the memories.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCount View Post
    ...I believe that when the government is capable of doing a thing, it will.
    Quote Originally Posted by Influenza View Post
    which one of yall fuckers wrote the "ron paul" racist news letters
    Quote Originally Posted by Dforkus View Post
    Zippy's posts are a great contribution.

Disrupt, Deny, Deflate. Read the RPF trolls' playbook here (post #3): http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...eptive-members

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Actually was I was getting at was when you buy something the clerk will take your money, give you change but never ring it up on the register. Requiring giving a receipt stops this practice. It's a pretty common problem in a bar. All the bartender has to do is keep track of the number of a particular brand of beer. You pay, she brings the change, keep track of how many bottles she sold and at the end of the night take that cash out of the register and she balances. Same principle in the donut shop.

"Nah, just give me the donut.

(kudos if you know the reference.) "

Yeah I got the reference, no need for paper in this transaction, lol
    And what I was pointing out is that the twin will register all sales. If you are missing 25 bottles of a given beer, and only 10 show up, there's a problem. Items missing = items on your receipt, which usually is on a point of sale system where you have to log in or swipe. Hell, there are taps that measure out the amount dispensed per drink linked to the point of sale system now. That's not to say you can't get in buddybuddy with the manager and have them swipe in repeated overrides for you (Oops I spilled a drink; I need to redo that order).

Quote Originally Posted by angelatc View Post
    I don't generally report my groceries to the IRS.

I wish I could claim mine as a business expense .

I mean , hell , I really need all of that ice cream to get my work done .

Old, but goodie line you hear at the store:

Cashier: Would you like a bag with that?

Grubby Customer (referring to his old lady): No, I got one in the car.

Disrupt, Deny, Deflate. Read the RPF trolls' playbook here (post #3): http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...eptive-members

Quote Originally Posted by brushfire View Post
    I'm hearing more "Do you have an email address" or "would you like to give us your email address"...

My response is typically, "Can I really trust you guys with that? Are you going to send me spam?" Then I smile, take my sh!t, and I go LOL. Same with warranty cards that ask me my demographics. So if I'm poor, hispanic, and 68, do I only get a 2 month warranty? What do my demographics have anything do with your ability to stand by your product?

As if my business isn't enough? Fk off, Jack Welch wannabe's... you know who you are. /rant

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCarolinaLiberty View Post
    Old, but goodie line you hear at the store:

Cashier: Would you like a bag with that?

Grubby Customer (referring to his old lady): No, I got one in the car.
    My husband loves that joke.

This is his favorite. He tells it to everyone and NO ONE LAUGHS. It's awful and dirty, read at your own risk. He says it's a classic but I've never heard anyone tell it but him.

How do you stop a dog from humping your leg?

Pick it up and suck it's dick. O_o
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

Not you - the merchant issuing a refund must prove the item was originally purchased, that's why merchants make you bring back the receipt before they give you cash back.

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    I mean , hell , I really need all of that ice cream to get my work done .
    Dammit. You went and put ice cream in my head.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post

This is his favorite. He tells it to everyone and NO ONE LAUGHS. It's awful and dirty, read at your own risk. He says it's a classic but I've never heard anyone tell it but him.

How do you stop a dog from humping your leg?

Pick it up and suck it's dick. O_o

Hmmm; I didn't laugh either. And I love the raunchy joke.

And what I was pointing out is that the twin will register all sales. If you are missing 25 bottles of a given beer, and only 10 show up, there's a problem. Items missing = items on your receipt, which usually is on a point of sale system where you have to log in or swipe. Hell, there are taps that measure out the amount dispensed per drink linked to the point of sale system now. That's not to say you can't get in buddybuddy with the manager and have them swipe in repeated overrides for you (Oops I spilled a drink; I need to redo that order).
    Of course you are correct, in a sense. The corporate establishment will have inventories established for bottles, how many glasses out of a keg and automatic pourers on their liquor. They spend the money and track everything. However there are many places that are not so sophisticated they don't inventory the way they should. Don't keep track of glasses out of a keg and free pour their liquor. Were not talking about stealing thousands of dollars a day. More then likely "supplementing" their pay with an extra 30/40 bucks.

As for receipts it doesn't matter how many copies there are. if it's not rung up there is no receipt.

Am guessing free pour far out numbers automatic pour establishments, try tracking that. Of course there are number of drinks vs how many bottles have been used but if someone is stealing they need to stay within the margin of error.

Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    The most often asked question I hear these days when shopping is "Would you like the receipt?" Is this a valid reason to be concerned about the economy?
    Always take a receipt so you do not get falsely accused of shop lifting on the way out by store security or some cop. Some Targets, Walmarts and Costco's you can't leave without having your bags searched and compared to the receipt anyway.
    * See my visitor message area for caveats related to my posting history here.
    * Also, I have effectively retired from all social media including posting here and are basically opting out of anything to do with national politics or this country on federal or state level and rather focusing locally. I may stop by from time to time to discuss philosophy on a general level related to Libertarian schools of thought and application in the real world.

Naaa we don't need any paper records of anything. In an all digital world, I assure you everything will be a utopian paradise! You'll see! You won't need receipts since you won't own anything any way.

"Let it not be said that we did nothing."-Ron Paul

"We have set them on the hobby-horse of an idea about the absorption of individuality by the symbolic unit of COLLECTIVISM. They have never yet and they never will have the sense to reflect that this hobby-horse is a manifest violation of the most important law of nature, which has established from the very creation of the world one unit unlike another and precisely for the purpose of instituting individuality."- A Quote From Some Old Book

Quote Originally Posted by kahless View Post
    Always take a receipt so you do not get falsely accused of shop lifting on the way out by store security or some cop. Some Targets, Walmarts and Costco's you can't leave without having your bags searched and compared to the receipt anyway.
    Yeah , I do not even go in places that do that .

I cannot get gas at the Sams Club because they do not take cash .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast