Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Why so many protectionists here?

Quote Originally Posted by AuH20 View Post
    When the U.S. finally transforms into a bland, polyglot World destination, that will be when it finally ceases to exist. The U.S. was unique during it's founding because it violently rejected the fraudulent contemporary world belief systems reigning at the time. Now we have people asking us to return to that same archaic thinking that our fore bearers escaped from.
    Are you genuinely proposing that free trade is the prevailing, archaic system, and that protectionism is somehow new thinking?
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    Pinochet is the model
    Liberty preserving authoritarianism.
    Enforced internal open borders was one of the worst elements of the Constitution.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Account Restricted. Admin to review account standing

Quote Originally Posted by TheCount View Post
    Are you genuinely proposing that free trade is the prevailing, archaic system, and that protectionism is somehow new thinking?
    I don't think what we have now is free trade. It's dominated trade with massive currency imbalances.

4. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I would ask if you're genuinely asking a question, but I know better. Maybe he's referring to pre-War of 1812, but I guess he can clarify.

Perhaps instead of just always laying into people the way you always do, how about you ALSO present YOUR view? What are your views on protectionism?
    ...I believe that when the government is capable of doing a thing, it will.
    Quote Originally Posted by Influenza View Post
    which one of yall fuckers wrote the "ron paul" racist news letters
    Quote Originally Posted by Dforkus View Post
    Zippy's posts are a great contribution.

Disrupt, Deny, Deflate. Read the RPF trolls' playbook here (post #3): http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...eptive-members

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCarolinaLiberty View Post
    I would ask if you're genuinely asking a question, but I know better. Maybe he's referring to pre-War of 1812, but I guess he can clarify.

Perhaps instead of just always laying into people the way you always do, how about you ALSO present YOUR view? What are your views on protectionism?
    @TheCount DID present his view- it is just dressed in sarcasm.

We are presently drenched in protectionism which WAS the "fraudulent contemporary world belief systems reigning at the time".

Real freedom was the FF original intent.
    There is no spoon.

Quote Originally Posted by AuH20 View Post
    I don't think what we have now is free trade. It's dominated trade with massive currency imbalances.
    That wasn't my question.

Protectionism is the historical norm since the dawn of national governments.

Homogenous societies are also the historical norm.

What you're suggesting - that protectionism and ethnonationalism is some new manner of thinking - is the opposite of reality.
    Pinochet is the model
    Enforced internal open borders was one of the worst elements of the Constitution.

Quote Originally Posted by EBounding View Post
    I think the argument is that H-1B's are basically a corporate subsidy since the "temporary" foreign workers are supposed to be paid the prevailing wage, but the foreign workers end up accepting wages that are much less. The firm who can get these government approved workers gets the market advantage. It goes along with the argument that you can't have open borders without any sort of welfare state.
    Sure that's the argument. But so far nobody has provided any evidence to support the claim that H1B workers are accepting significantly lower salaries than their U.S. born counterparts.
    9/11 Thermate experiments

Winston Churchhill on why the U.S. should have stayed OUT of World War I

"I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

"We as a country have lost faith and confidence in freedom." -- Ron Paul

"It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.

Quote Originally Posted by EBounding View Post
    I think the argument is that H-1B's are basically a corporate subsidy since the "temporary" foreign workers are supposed to be paid the prevailing wage, but the foreign workers end up accepting wages that are much less. The firm who can get these government approved workers gets the market advantage. It goes along with the argument that you can't have open borders without any sort of welfare state.
    My point is not so much whether you're a protectionist or not. It's whether you're consistent about it. If you are against H1Bs(services), you should also be against free trade in goods, like cars, televisions, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Ender View Post
    @TheCount DID present his view- it is just dressed in sarcasm.

No, he presented agitation dressed as inquiry. He rarely to never presents his views.

Disrupt, Deny, Deflate. Read the RPF trolls' playbook here (post #3): http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...eptive-members

That wasn't my question.

And that wasn't my question.

Quote Originally Posted by jmdrake View Post
    Sure that's the argument. But so far nobody has provided any evidence to support the claim that H1B workers are accepting significantly lower salaries than their U.S. born counterparts.
    What exactly do you need the evidence for?

13. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    What exactly do you need the evidence for?
    For the proposition that H1B workers in general are accepting significantly lower salaries than their U.S. born counterparts....duh! You are more intelligent than you are pretending to be.

Here's evidence in the opposite direction.

https://techcrunch.com/2015/03/29/ho...-1b-employees/

"I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

"It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.

Here's another question. Supposedly the argument in favor of banning foreign workers is that it drives down wages from oversupply. Does that mean you are also in favor of licensing requirements for doctors? That limits the supply and drives up the wages for doctors. Is that also good for the economy?

For the proposition that H1B workers in general are accepting significantly lower salaries than their U.S. born counterparts....duh! You are more intelligent than you are pretending to be.

That article very well may have cherry-picked from the raw data.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Just read the article and I didn't find any evidence from reading it that the H1B employees were paying more than their native counterparts. All the article did was compare the pay of H1B employees among other tech companies that used H1B workers.

I think a better way to judge the costs is how much it costs the companies to hire the H1B workers when compared to native workers.

Quote Originally Posted by juleswin View Post
    Just read the article and I didn't find any evidence from reading it that the H1B employees were paying more than their native counterparts. All the article did was compare the pay of H1B employees among other tech companies that used H1B workers.
    Who said H1B employees were paying more than their native counterparts? That sentence makes no sense in the context. I'm assuming you meant to say "I didn't find any evidence from reading it that the H1B employees were being paid more than their native counterparts." But even then, that's not the argument I was making. I'm making the argument that the H1B salaries are comparable to the native born salaries, not that they are more than the native born salaries.

Now to make the comparison, here are the mean salaries overall for software engineers at the same companies.

https://blog.step.com/2016/04/08/an-...tech-salaries/

Note there is no real difference. That's my point.

I think a better way to judge the costs is how much it costs the companies to hire the H1B workers when compared to native workers.
    Fine. Provide the data then. The burden of proof is on the protectionists. (Not saying you are one).

That article very well may have cherry-picked from the raw data.
    It may have. But so far in all of these threads nobody on your side has provided any data at all.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCarolinaLiberty View Post
    No, he presented agitation dressed as inquiry. He rarely to never presents his views.
    Helps to understand sarcasm, NCL. It's one of the reasons I enjoy @TheCount so much.
    There is no spoon.

It may have. But so far in all of these threads nobody on your side has provided any data at all.
    Google, Apple, Intel and Adobe Paying $324m Lawsuit Over Salary Conspiracy http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/google-appl...laries-1446002

22. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Who said H1B employees were paying more than their native counterparts? That sentence makes no sense in the context. I'm assuming you meant to say "I didn't find any evidence from reading it that the H1B employees were being paid more than their native counterparts." But even then, that's not the argument I was making. I'm making the argument that the H1B salaries are comparable to the native born salaries, not that they are more than the native born salaries.

Now to make the comparison, here are the mean salaries overall for software engineers at the same companies.

https://blog.step.com/2016/04/08/an-...tech-salaries/

Note there is no real difference. That's my point.

Fine. Provide the data then. The burden of proof is on the protectionists. (Not saying you are one).
    Paid instead of paying. Butt it seams like you figured our without my welp what I was tying to say

But still the first link you posted only compared H1B salaries with each other. No mention of native workers and the second link you posted, separated the workers out into different levels. From 1 - 4 and with levels 3 and 4 median income vastly exceeding what the H1B workers were getting. The second one still doesn't prove any point cos they are not using the same units.

Google, Apple, Intel and Adobe Paying $324m Lawsuit Over Salary Conspiracy http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/google-appl...laries-1446002
    Huge fail on your part. Nothing in the article about H1B. I would gladly take the salary that other people are suing Google, Apple, Intel and others over for being "too low."

Quote Originally Posted by juleswin View Post
    Paid instead of paying. Butt it seams like you figured our without my welp what I was tying to say

But still the first link you posted only compared H1B salaries with each other. No mention of native workers and the second link you posted, separated the workers out into different levels. From 1 - 4 and with levels 3 and 4 median income vastly exceeding what the H1B workers were getting. The second one still doesn't prove any point cos they are not using the same units.
    Again, the burden is on those making the claim that the H1B workers are being woefully underpaid.

Okay. The question in the OP needs to change to "Why are so many protectionists using phony arguments to advance their agenda?" Seriously WTF?
    These people have no basic understanding of universal human rights -as enunciated by Thomas Jefferson- or of what the free market actually is. They're only interested in using the state to control and dominate others, to force them to become like them, act like them, and think like them. They're Progressives in every way.

That's not about immigrants, it was basically price fixing for the price of labor.
    Pinochet is the model

Quote Originally Posted by Madison320 View Post
    I agree. I'm starting to think the real problem isn't the illegals, it's their legal children. Illegals can't get (that much) welfare and can't vote. What if we changed the law to say you have to have a legal parent to be legal yourself. And then let the illegals stay as long as they don't commit crimes.
    Actually , the way the law reads now , to me would be one parent a citizen and yeah that would be an improvement .
    Do something Danke

Again, the burden is on those making the claim that the H1B workers are being woefully underpaid.
    I agree with your position but I don't think it matters whether H1Bs make wages go up or down. I think you're giving the protectionists a chance to dodge the more critical points. It's a basic free market question. Should businesses have the right to shop for labor, the same as the rest of us shop for goods?

Also I'd like to hear if the protectionists favor licensing for doctors. That limits supply and drives up wages for doctors.

I agree. I'm starting to think the real problem isn't the illegals, it's their legal children. Illegals can't get (that much) welfare and can't vote. What if we changed the law to say you have to have a legal parent to be legal yourself. And then let the illegals stay as long as they don't commit crimes.
    That might seem intuitive, but it's not the case. Children of immigrants make way more than their immigrant parents and end up paying more into the system than they take out. They also have political stances that are indistinguishable from natives 1 or 2 generations in, including a disproportionate tendency to self-identify as "libertarian."

How many trumpies have you heard reference all the Latinos who believe in tighter immigration control? Ignoring the irony for a moment, there's no lack of "right-wing" immigrant descendants.
    Partisan politics, misleading or emotional bill titles, and 4D chess theories are manifestations of the same lie—that the text of the Constitution, the text of legislation, and plain facts do not matter; what matters is what you want to believe. From this comes hypocrisy. And where hypocrisy thrives, virtue recedes. Without virtue, liberty dies. - Justin Amash, March 2018

31. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by undergroundrr View Post
    That might seem intuitive, but it's not the case. Children of immigrants make way more than their immigrant parents and end up paying more into the system than they take out. They also have political stances that are indistinguishable from natives 1 or 2 generations in, including a disproportionate tendency to self-identify as "libertarian."

How many trumpies have you heard reference all the Latinos who believe in tighter immigration control? Ignoring the irony for a moment, there's no lack of "right-wing" immigrant descendants.
    That's hard for me to believe. My guess would be that latinos are by far the highest percentage of illegal immigrant. And they vote overwhelmingly for democrats.

That's hard for me to believe. My guess would be that latinos are by far the highest percentage of illegal immigrant. And they vote overwhelmingly for democrats.
    I know and I don't blame you. A lot of the claims made by anti-immigrationists seem to make "logical sense" until you actually look at the data.

https://fee.org/articles/hispanics-a...her-americans/
    https://panampost.com/editor/2016/08...an-candidates/
    http://reason.com/blog/2014/09/08/hispanic-libertarians
    https://townhall.com/columnists/rach...arian-n1887818

And by the way, Hispanics are third behind Chinese and Indians in immigration to the US. Hispanic immigration has been declining, presumably because the economic opportunities aren't as attractive as they once were. And that's despite having an unapologetic welfare-statist in office for 8 years. They really do come here to work hard and make money.

"Hispanics, more so than the general public, believe in the efficacy of hard work. Three-in-four (75%) Hispanics say most people can get ahead if they work hard. By contrast, just 58% of the general public say the same."
    Partisan politics, misleading or emotional bill titles, and 4D chess theories are manifestations of the same lie—that the text of the Constitution, the text of legislation, and plain facts do not matter; what matters is what you want to believe. From this comes hypocrisy. And where hypocrisy thrives, virtue recedes. Without virtue, liberty dies. - Justin Amash, March 2018

I agree with your position but I don't think it matters whether H1Bs make wages go up or down. I think you're giving the protectionists a chance to dodge the more critical points. It's a basic free market question. Should businesses have the right to shop for labor, the same as the rest of us shop for goods?

Also I'd like to hear if the protectionists favor licensing for doctors. That limits supply and drives up wages for doctors.
    I see your point and it is a good one. That said the biggest selling point for me on the free market was the realization that it actually tends to produce the most wealth and that I can personally benefit. Selfish outlook? Maybe. And further the reality is that business will shop for labor regardless of the H1B situation. Businesses can always offshore most IT jobs if it's just about wages. But all of the data I've seen so far suggests that it's not just about wages.

Quote Originally Posted by undergroundrr View Post
    I know and I don't blame you. A lot of the claims made by anti-immigrationists seem to make "logical sense" until you actually look at the data.

https://fee.org/articles/hispanics-a...her-americans/
    https://panampost.com/editor/2016/08...an-candidates/
    http://reason.com/blog/2014/09/08/hispanic-libertarians
    https://townhall.com/columnists/rach...arian-n1887818

And by the way, Hispanics are third behind Chinese and Indians in immigration to the US. Hispanic immigration has been declining, presumably because the economic opportunities aren't as attractive as they once were. And that's despite having an unapologetic welfare-statist in office for 8 years. They really do come here to work hard and make money.

"Hispanics, more so than the general public, believe in the efficacy of hard work. Three-in-four (75%) Hispanics say most people can get ahead if they work hard. By contrast, just 58% of the general public say the same."
    Hmmmmm....I wasn't aware of that statistic.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast