Thread: Help me find an upper for my AR

Help me find an upper for my AR

I am looking for a somewhat unusual upper. Someone has to make one but I can't find it. Someone here may know more than I do.

First off, I have an old school civilian Colt Sporter HBAR Match. The forward take down pin is overlarge. I know an adapter is made. I may end up machining one for stability.

I am looking for a 16" barrel AR upper, but with a handgrip that ends the "standard" distance from the end, not a 14.5" grip on a 16" barrel.

I want to set my old Colt up as a knife fighter. Steel reinforced fill stock. (If possible) Reinforced bayonet lug attachment. I want to set it up as a superb melee weapon in it's own right, and THEN put a ruggedized CQB optic on it.

My first obstacle is finding a 16" barrel upper that holds a bayonet correctly. :-/
    http://glenbradley.net/share/aleksan...nitsyn_4-t.gif “And how we burned in the camps later, thinking: What would things have been like if every Security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain whether he would return alive and had to say good-bye to his family? Or if, during periods of mass arrests, as for example in Leningrad, when they arrested a quarter of the entire city, people had not simply sat there in their lairs, paling with terror at every bang of the downstairs door and at every step on the staircase, but had understood they had nothing left to lose and had boldly set up in the downstairs hall an ambush of half a dozen people with axes, hammers, pokers, or whatever else was at hand?... The Organs would very quickly have suffered a shortage of officers and transport and, notwithstanding all of Stalin's thirst, the cursed machine would have ground to a halt! If...if...We didn't love freedom enough. And even more – we had no awareness of the real situation.... We purely and simply deserved everything that happened afterward.” ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    @Pericles I think you may know more about this than anyone here.

ANd no, I am not looking for an "extender." No contraptions. It needs to a right melee weapon, not a flappy contraption of levers and pickets.

Ideally I would get the most rugged 9.5" free-float grip I can get, and cut juust enough (half inch) of a notch in the bottom to fit snug around the bayonet assembly (and if possible fix without welding). Of course it won't be free-floating anymore. This is not a 500yd rifle, the idea is to make the bayonet solid. I might even machine a forward bayonet rest to stabilize it even further.

Triple R products lug extension - extend the butt lug
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mMsLDwX4jqg

tacticoool - sleeve your barrel
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQNfIFyVlK4

full size grip and hang it on flash arrestor
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yvM5AtDXw2I
    Last edited by presence; 11-10-2016 at 08:27 AM.

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

Awareness is the Root of Liberation Revolution is Action upon Revelation

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.

...the familiar ritual of institutional self-absolution...
    ...for protecting them, by mock trial, from punishment...

Can't you just get the parts separately?

Places that may have what you want at one time may not at another. But I would search for them at slickguns.com.

Quote Originally Posted by presence View Post
    Triple R products lug extension - extend the butt lug
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mMsLDwX4jqg
    I will not use an adapter. I will go without the bayonet before I will use an adapter. It is something to lose when you need it, and it is something else to break.

tacticoool - sleeve your barrel
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQNfIFyVlK4

full size grip and hang it on flash arrestor
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yvM5AtDXw2I
    I was looking at putting the strongest 15" quad-rail I could find and pairing it with this

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2...bayonet-mount/

only the sleeve would go up to an inch before the muzzle, and the 'fake barrel' set even with the compensator?
    Last edited by GunnyFreedom; 11-10-2016 at 08:46 AM.

No, the Geissele barrel should protrude past the end of the compensator by 3/4 of an inch right? so even if I don't have a bayonet fixed I can whack someone in the face with the Geissele barrel and leave the rifle barrel untouched.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by GunnyFreedom View Post
    ANd no, I am not looking for an "extender." No contraptions. It needs to a right melee weapon, not a flappy contraption of levers and pickets.
    Dissipator,, but am not sure about colt pin holes..

bottom is a dissie.

would be on my wish list
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

@Pericles I think you may know more about this than anyone here.
    The issue is that on a 16 inch barrel the end of the barrel is too far forward of the FSB for a bayonet. The solution is to get a 14.5 inch barrel, have retro rifle works add a .2 inch barrel extension ( or flash hider rear end is about the same length) and permanently attach a standard flash hider to give an ATF required 16.1 inch total length. Result looks like this:

In a similar approach, PSA and Brownells have 14.7 inch barrels with permanent standard flash hiders which do the same thing, but I kept the weapon I have all Colt (Except for the lower).

There are only 3 lengths of gas system, which will determine where the FSB is on the barrel.
    Last edited by Pericles; 11-10-2016 at 02:58 PM.
    Out of every one hundred men they send us, ten should not even be here. Eighty will do nothing but serve as targets for the enemy. Nine are real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, upon them depends our success in battle. But one, ah the one, he is a real warrior, and he will bring the others back from battle alive.

Duty is the most sublime word in the English language. Do your duty in all things. You can not do more than your duty. You should never wish to do less than your duty.

Quote Originally Posted by Pericles View Post
    The issue is that on a 16 inch barrel the end of the barrel is too far forward of the FSB for a bayonet. The solution is to get a 14.5 inch barrel, have retro rifle works add a .2 inch barrel extension ( or flash hider rear end is about the same length) and permanently attach a standard flash hider to give an ATF required 16.1 inch total length. Result looks like this:

As you know, that's not a solution. I would first of all rather have the 16" barrel in any case, and extensions to make a short barrel pretend at length are even worse. But you still end up with the end of the suppressor some 3/4 down the length of the bayonet.

I am not excited at the prospect of mounting a bayonet onto a rail. That does not feel very secure to me, but at least I would have some control over where it set in relation to the barrel.

In a similar approach, PSA and Brownells have 14.7 inch barrels with permanent standard flash hiders which do the same thing, but I kept the weapon I have all Colt (Except for the lower).

There are only 3 lengths of gas system, which will determine where the FSB is on the barrel.
    Then maybe I need to use a mid length gas system and mount a bayonet stud onto the barrel independent of the gas check?

What I do like about the Gisselle is it could give me a surface forward of the barrel to use as a club. But in order for any of that to be practical, I'd need to find an exceptionally strong free-float sleeve to attach it to.

Reported.

Geissele
    how much does that thing weigh? how much does a

strongest 15" quad-rail
    weigh?

You're building a sword. It would seem to me you should consider balance as greatly as you consider strength.

Its really important to be able to quickly recover from swinging your weapon in melee; the closer your gun can approach to "katana" the better you'll fare in close combat.

what about having the butt extender welded on?
    Last edited by presence; 11-11-2016 at 08:33 AM.

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

AR15EXT004 permanent <<<< has good weld on potential

AR15EXT001 quick release

DPMS MFR #: BL-LUG-L Part:ARR-044

Last edited by presence; 11-11-2016 at 09:10 AM.

As you know, that's not a solution. I would first of all rather have the 16" barrel in any case, and extensions to make a short barrel pretend at length are even worse. But you still end up with the end of the suppressor some 3/4 down the length of the bayonet.

I am not excited at the prospect of mounting a bayonet onto a rail. That does not feel very secure to me, but at least I would have some control over where it set in relation to the barrel.

Then maybe I need to use a mid length gas system and mount a bayonet stud onto the barrel independent of the gas check?
    What you are hoping to find is a 16 inch barrel with a mid length gas system. I don't know if such a beast exists. If you knew somebody competent - it would be barrel blank, hope he gets the gas port dimensions right - and you might get close You will end up with a weapon that is nowhere near a military grade bit of equipment.

Having said that, Colt is supposed to be hitting the civilian market with some mid length stuff that might get close to what you want.
    Out of every one hundred men they send us, ten should not even be here. Eighty will do nothing but serve as targets for the enemy. Nine are real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, upon them depends our success in battle. But one, ah the one, he is a real warrior, and he will bring the others back from battle alive.

Duty is the most sublime word in the English language. Do your duty in all things. You can not do more than your duty. You should never wish to do less than your duty.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    What you are hoping to find is a 16 inch barrel with a mid length gas system. I don't know if such a beast exists. If you knew somebody competent - it would be barrel blank, hope he gets the gas port dimensions right - and you might get close You will end up with a weapon that is nowhere near a military grade bit of equipment.

Having said that, Colt is supposed to be hitting the civilian market with some mid length stuff that might get close to what you want.
    Palmetto State Armory makes dozens of variations of 16 inch mid length gas barreled uppers. You can get one from the cheapest chromoly all the way up to an FN stamp premium double chrome-lined cold hammer-forged Barrel. Their mid-length are my favorites so far, shoot great, with very little recoil.

Why not have something custom built and put it on the stock location?

old stock MN M91 can be had for $30, bring that to local metal shop, chop chop tack tack weld weld... hocus pocus custom coolness

Quote Originally Posted by presence View Post
    Why not have something custom built and put it on the stock location?

old stock MN M91 can be had for $30, bring that to local metal shop, chop chop tack tack weld weld... hocus pocus custom coolness

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IPQM4h-UZtc

Quote Originally Posted by fedupinmo View Post
    dat swing

lolol

I agree. You are looking at custom work there. Maybe having someone cut up/trim mid-length parts for free float handguards. I have no idea why you have to have it carbine length when a mid-length is ideal and is good for mounting a bayonet. I mean one of the things you are confusing me with is you are going to not have it for long range precision use, but still go with a free float barrel. Lots of awkward decisions that can be avoided by simply moving up to a mid-length and non-free float which is something I have for the same reason you want it.

You clearly know what you want... but the question is "why this particular set up?" It doesn't really exist. Bayonets initially were for long rifles to act as a spear. So that's why you will see bayonet lugs mostly on rifle length and mid-length It would be like me going AR pistol for CQC but still asking for free float and mount a bayonet. I mean it can be done, but I'm going to drop a lot of money for custom work and make the people doing that work wonder what the $#@! I am doing. You don't get carbines if you want to mount bayonets.
    For the Republic! For the Cause!
    The Truth About Central Banking and Business Cycles
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YaxIPPMR3fI#t=186

I am looking for a somewhat unusual upper.

My first obstacle is finding a 16" barrel upper that holds a bayonet correctly. :-/
    Me too/
    But Might I make another suggestion. after thinking about your whole proposition.

In close quarters combat there is nothing better than a shotgun.

Set up a Combat Shotgun w/bayonet and save the rifle for open area and distance.

Last edited by pcosmar; 12-04-2016 at 10:05 PM.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

I am looking for a somewhat unusual upper. Someone has to make one but I can't find it. Someone here may know more than I do.

First off, I have an old school civilian Colt Sporter HBAR Match. The forward take down pin is overlarge. I know an adapter is made. I may end up machining one for stability.

I am looking for a 16" barrel AR upper, but with a handgrip that ends the "standard" distance from the end, not a 14.5" grip on a 16" barrel.

I want to set my old Colt up as a knife fighter. Steel reinforced fill stock. (If possible) Reinforced bayonet lug attachment. I want to set it up as a superb melee weapon in it's own right, and THEN put a ruggedized CQB optic on it.

Have you checker with POF? Perhaps the best ARs on the planet.

Also, if you want a melee weapon, why not build an AR pistol and put a SIG arm-brace on it? I have a very fine 80% lower as a pistol with the brace and an upper in 338 Spectre. It's lobbing a 250 gr. slug downrange at 1200fps. It is VERY effectively suppressed and hits like a freight train with superb accuracy and precision. It is ideal for enclosed operations and CQB. Under 100 yards you do not need particularly flat shooting. You need punch, and 338 Spectre hits worlds harder than 5.56.
    freedomisobvious.blogspot.com

There is only one correct way: freedom. All other solutions are non-solutions.

It appears that artificial intelligence is at least slightly superior to natural stupidity.

Our words make us the ghosts that we are.

Convincing the world he didn't exist was the Devil's second greatest trick; the first was convincing us that God didn't exist.

Ideally I would get the most rugged 9.5" free-float grip I can get, and cut juust enough (half inch) of a notch in the bottom to fit snug around the bayonet assembly (and if possible fix without welding). Of course it won't be free-floating anymore. This is not a 500yd rifle, the idea is to make the bayonet solid. I might even machine a forward bayonet rest to stabilize it even further.
    As for bayonet mount, why not use a standard front sight/gas block, lop off the sight, drill and tap two holes, cut a piece of Picatinny rail and mount it to the block. This allows you to mount a folding front sight while retaining the bayonet lug.

As for short forearms, take a long one and lop it. If the anodizing is important, take it to an anodizer and have the bright metal made black.
    freedomisobvious.blogspot.com

There is only one correct way: freedom. All other solutions are non-solutions.

It appears that artificial intelligence is at least slightly superior to natural stupidity.

Our words make us the ghosts that we are.

Convincing the world he didn't exist was the Devil's second greatest trick; the first was convincing us that God didn't exist.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.