Page 32 of 32 FirstFirst ... 22303132

Thread: The Journey towards Love

How mistaken are those people who seek happiness outside of themselves, in foreign lands and journeys, in riches and glory, in great possessions and pleasures, in diversions and vain things, which have a bitter end! In the same thing to construct the tower of happiness outside of ourselves as it is to build a house in a place that is consistently shaken by earthquakes. Happiness is found within ourselves and blessed is the man who has understood this. Happiness is a pure heart, for such a heart becomes the throne of God. Thus, says Christ of those who have pure hearts: "I will visit them, and will walk in them, and I will be a God to them, and they will be my people." (II Cor. 6:16) What can be lacking to them? Nothing, nothing at all! For they have the greatest good in their hearts: God Himself!

- St. Nektarios of Aegina
    +
    'These things I command you, that you love one another.' - Jesus Christ

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    The soul that loves God has its rest in God and in God alone. In all the paths that men walk in in the world, they do not attain peace until they draw nigh to hope in God.

- St. Isaac the Syrian
    +

Truth is not a thought, not a word, not a relationship between things, not a law. Truth is a Person. It is a Being which exceeds all beings and gives life to all. If you seek truth with love and for the sake of love, she will reveal the light of His face to you inasmuch as you are able to bear it without being burned.

- St.Nicholas of Serbia
    +

God loves us more than a father, mother, friend, or any else could love, and even more than we are able to love ourselves.

- St. John Chrysostom
    +

As it is impossible to verbally describe the sweetness of honey to one who has never tasted honey, so the goodness of God cannot be clearly communicated by way of teaching if we ourselves are not able to penetrate into the goodness of the Lord by our own experience.

- St. Basil the Great
    +

Many rich and powerful men would pay dearly to see the Lord or His Most Pure Mother, but God does not appear in riches, but in the humble heart... Every one of the poorest men can be humble and come to know God. It need neither money nor reputation to come to know God, but only humility.

- St. Silouan the Athonite
    +

8. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    No matter how much we may study, it is not possible to come to know God unless we live according to His commandments, for God is not known by science, but by the Holy Spirit. Many philosophers and learned men came to the belief that God exists, but they did not know God. It is one thing to believe that God exists and another to know Him. If someone has come to know God by the Holy Spirit, his soul will burn with love for God day and night, and his soul cannot be bound to any earthly thing.

- St. Silouan the Athonite
    +

Quote Originally Posted by TER View Post
    As it is impossible to verbally describe the sweetness of honey to one who has never tasted honey, so the goodness of God cannot be clearly communicated by way of teaching if we ourselves are not able to penetrate into the goodness of the Lord by our own experience.

- St. Basil the Great
    Is this from one of the homilies? If so, please cite it-I'd like to read the whole thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

Quote Originally Posted by heavenlyboy34 View Post
    Is this from one of the homilies? If so, please cite it-I'd like to read the whole thing.
    It’s hidden in this page, about 60% of the way down. This was the best source I could find on the internet.

It’s from his commentary on Psalm 29

http://ia802605.us.archive.org/22/it...29mbp_djvu.txt
    +

I'm gonna throw in my beloved Augustine:

"So, what does love look like? It has the hands to help others. It has the feet to hasten to the poor and needy. It has eyes to see misery and want. It has the ears to hear the sighs and sorrows of men."

Greetings my friends.

I wish you all well and ask for your forgiveness. May the Lord forgive us.

A blessed Pascha (Easter) to those who celebrated on Sunday and Kali Anastasi to those who will be celebrating this approaching Sunday.

Christ is Risen and has overcome the world! Have strength and courage and faith.
    +

Page 32 of 32 FirstFirst ... 22303132