Thread: ESPN 30 For 30 Small Potatoes: Who Killed the USFL?

ESPN 30 For 30 Small Potatoes: Who Killed the USFL?

I imagine seeing this posted on the 2016 presidential election forum, you all know the answer to the question. But watching the stakeholders, owner, reporters, players talk about it makes it a little bit more illuminating.

The relevant part starts at 35:50 to 41 mins mark. This should give a little insight on why he fails at so many of his business. He has too much of greed and a little bit of patience.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by juleswin View Post
    The relevant part starts at 35:50 to 41 mins mark.
    Well. I don't know. Doesn't seem legitimate to me for owners of the teams (who were already basically broke) to arbitrarily claim victim status if they knowingly and wilfully made a business decision that didn't succeed.

Bad business is bad business. Is what it is.
    Last edited by Natural Citizen; 07-31-2016 at 10:37 AM.

Chester Copperpot

OH NOES.. TRUMP IS A BAD GUY.. I BETTER NOT VOTE FOR HIM...

HAHAH

TRUMP GETS MY VOTE SO F OFF

There are dozens, if not hundreds of threads on here showing that Hildabeast is a corrupt, murdering, lying, stealing, cheating, anti-American, treasonous, criminal bitch, intent on plunging the world into war, potentially killing many millions of people, and this is all you can find on Trump?

Quote Originally Posted by Natural Citizen View Post
    Well. I don't know. Doesn't seem legitimate to me for owners of the teams (who were already basically broke) to arbitrarily claim victim status if they knowingly and wilfully made a business decision that didn't succeed.

Bad business is bad business. Is what it is.
    You are missing the point, you see there were two business titans that were influential in the league that all the owners listened to. One guy, the rational person said lets be a little patient and grow the league as a spring football league until we are big and strong enough to challenge the mighty NFL. Trump the irrational, greedy and impatient guys said, go after the NFL now, don't wait any longer, don't take your time to grow and just go for broke now just after 3 years in existence. Yes some of the owner were running out of money but that is growing pains most business go though.

But by challenging the NFL when they weren't strong enough to challenge the NFL, they lost everything. That is on Donald and the league essentially folded because he got his way.

Quote Originally Posted by openfire View Post
    There are dozens, if not hundreds of threads on here showing that Hildabeast is a corrupt, murdering, lying, stealing, cheating, anti-American, treasonous, criminal bitch, intent on plunging the world into war, potentially killing many millions of people, and this is all you can find on Trump?

Please don't compare Morpheus with Trump.... I think I'll be sick....
    There is no spoon.

You are missing the point, you see there were two business titans that were influential in the league that all the owners listened to. One guy, the rational person said lets be a little patient and grow the league as a spring football league until we are big and strong enough to challenge the mighty NFL. Trump the irrational, greedy and impatient guys said, go after the NFL now, don't wait any longer, don't take your time to grow and just go for broke now just after 3 years in existence. Yes some of the owner were running out of money but that is growing pains most business go though.

But by challenging the NFL when they weren't strong enough to challenge the NFL, they lost everything. That is on Donald and the league essentially folded because he got his way.
    There really is no point. It was bad business. And people wilfully participated in bad business. Anecdotal evidence and personal feelings are irrelevant. I'm sorry, jules. No one is entitled to have their feelings addressed by others. In fact, their feelings and any fear that may be projected as a result is ultimately unimportant. Especially given that these here in the video are just hard feelings over their own bad business practices.

Though, it is a given that if one wilfully plays with a tiger that one might likely get eaten. Especially if one is much smaller than the tiger with no legitimate means of defense. Heck, everyone knows that. That's why I dont mess around wit tigers. Consent is out the window with tigers. Heh.
    Last edited by Natural Citizen; 07-31-2016 at 11:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Natural Citizen View Post
    There really is no point. It was bad business. And people wilfully participated in bad business. Anecdotal evidence and personal feelings are irrelevant. I'm sorry, jules. No one is entitled to have their feelings addressed by others. In fact, their feelings and any fear that may be projected as a result is ultimately unimportant. Especially given that they're just hard feelings over their own bad business practices.
    A new business is always a crap-shoot.

BUT- when people are being lead by someone who is supposed to be a incredible, successful, business tycoon & he leads them astray with no responsibility, they might be a little ticked.

Just sayin'.
    There is no spoon.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Chester Copperpot

Its called taking a chance - RISK.. and thats what you do in business....

Quote Originally Posted by Ender View Post
    A new business is always a crap-shoot.

BUT- when people are being lead by someone who is supposed to be a incredible, successful, business tycoon & he leads them astray with no responsibility, they might be a little ticked.

Just sayin'.
    Sure. Absolutely.

Staff - Admin
    Houston, TX

Blog Entries
    I've seen this. To put @juleswin: point another way, the USFL wasn't rich but they were a viable business, if they played the right moves they could have grown. It is hard to know if there is more to the story, but it looks like Trump made a high risk all-or-nothing gamble and lost, the outcome seemed predictable. From his view, he didn't want to be a part of a small-time league with small-time money (low benefit for time investment)- that's a reasonable position but it's a head scratcher why he didn't just sell out for a better return.

Quote Originally Posted by openfire View Post
    and this is all you can find on Trump?
    No, there is certainly a lot more, this is just one simple thread, not some aggregate of issues. No need to try to spin it.
    This site has a specific purpose defined in our Mission Statement.

Members must read and follow our Community Guidelines.

I strive to respond to all queries; please excuse late and out-of-sequence responses.

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan View Post
    I've seen this. To put @juleswin: point another way, the USFL wasn't rich but they were a viable business, if they played the right moves they could have grown. It is hard to know if there is more to the story, but it looks like Trump made a high risk all-or-nothing gamble and lost, the outcome seemed predictable. From his view, he didn't want to be a part of a small-time league with small-time money (low benefit for time investment)- that's a reasonable position but it's a head scratcher why he didn't just sell out for a better return.
    Here is a particularly good read. A lot of good backdrop that describes the root situation.

Domo: Is Donald Trump the USFL's fall guy?- http://articles.philly.com/2016-07-1...ald-trump-usfl

Quote Originally Posted by Chester Copperpot View Post
    Its called taking a chance - RISK.. and thats what you do in business....
    I know that, but there is also something called measured risk and pipe dreams. I can risk all my paycheque and invest them on the lottery tickets and may win or decided to get a major in some needed profession and slowly and safely build up my wealth. Both are risks but one is more sensible than the other.

Don't get me wrong, had Trump succeed, he would have been hailed by everyone as the business genius. He would be seen as the person who took on the NFL and won but since his strategy let to the shutdown of the league, he takes the blame for it. That is how the world works.