Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A new system of government

Another point in favor of this system is that the Steward who has control of the laws has lots of other things to do to make his reputation and keep him busy as opposed to a legislature that has nothing better to do than to make more laws.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    Another point in favor of this system is that the Steward who has control of the laws has lots of other things to do to make his reputation and keep him busy as opposed to a legislature that has nothing better to do than to make more laws.
    "The Patriarch"

4. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    My system would have allowed his removal.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by brushfire View Post
    Why not start with a bill of rights, and a constitutional amendment process. Then make all other laws expire, requiring them to be re-passed, every 5 years. Kinda like they do with the debt ceiling. That way law makers will be constantly busy re-passing sh!t that has expired - sticking with the heart of what matters.

The accumulating mess of laws we have now is unsustainable from a liberty standpoint.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Cross-posted from another thread for full context:

Quote Originally Posted by Occam's Banana View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    “What we can’t do is fail to pass something,” adding, “The urgency of this is not lost on any of us.”
    No Turtle, you can fail to pass something. And there is no urgency.

This “do something, even if it doesn’t work or is unconstitutional” mentality has to go.
    Lawmakers gonna make laws. It's what they do. That is, after all, the entire reason for their existence in the first place.

Legislatures and liberty cannot coexist. Inevitably, the latter will increasingly yield to the former.
    And yet anarchy always gives way to government.

We are doomed to the cycle and all we can do is try to lengthen the good parts and shorten the bad parts.
    Anarchy hasn't got anything to do with it. If, as you say, anarchy always gives way to government, and if a government to which anarchy has given way institutes a legislature, then any liberty extant under that government is surely doomed (and sooner than it otherwise might have been).

A minarchic society that burdens itself with a legislature (a group of people whose express and continuing purpose is to create new and more rules - i.e., to legislate) will not and cannot remain minarchic. Such a state does not fluctuate in "cycles" around liberty, but maintains a persistent trajectory away from it. It may move along that trajectory with more or less velocity at any given time, and there may even be brief spasms of retrograde; but it always, on net, moves away ...
    Occasionally new laws will be needed and occasionally old laws will need to be altered.
    Yes, certainly.

But I do agree that having people whose only job is to pass laws is problematic.

I have proposed a system in which the person with the power to enact laws has a lot of other things to do to make their reputation and keep them busy, perhaps you would like to comment on it in the thread for it:

A new system of government
    The fundamental problem - or one of the fundamental problems - is that vesting the power to conjure ex nihilo additions, emendations or annulments to the law exclusively in the hands of one person or several is injurious to liberty and will eventually be fatal to it. Over the long term, it will serve only to "institutionalize" an excellent means of eroding such liberty as may yet exist, rather than safeguard liberty against such erosion.

Rather, such additions, emendations or annulments as may be salubrious should be allowed to evolve organically in the application of established customary "old and good" law (born from out of tradition and precedent), not in the ad hoc creation of arbitrary[1] statutory "new and unproven" law (born from out of nowhere, as it were).

[1] By "arbitrary" I mean "due to the predilections or desires of one or more particular persons" rather than "randomly, or seemingly without cause or reason." There are always causes and reasons (though often not good ones) for such laws, and they are never random ...
    Last edited by Occam's Banana; 08-09-2019 at 11:33 PM. Reason: a excellent --> an excellent
    The Bastiat Collection · FREE PDF · FREE EPUB · PAPER
    Frédéric Bastiat (1801-1850)

• "When law and morality are in contradiction to each other, the citizen finds himself in the cruel alternative of either losing his moral sense, or of losing his respect for the law."
      -- The Law (p. 54)
    • "Government is that great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else."
      -- Government (p. 99)
    • "[W]ar is always begun in the interest of the few, and at the expense of the many."
      -- Economic Sophisms - Second Series (p. 312)
    • "There are two principles that can never be reconciled - Liberty and Constraint."
      -- Harmonies of Political Economy - Book One (p. 447)

· tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito ·

From another thread: http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...r%92-in-Senate

Yes, certainly.

The fundamental problem - or one of the fundamental problems - is that vesting the power to conjure ex nihilo additions, emendations or annulments to the law exclusively in the hands of one person or several is injurious to liberty and will eventually be fatal to it. Over the long term, it will serve only to "institutionalize" a excellent means of eroding such liberty as may yet exist, rather than safeguard against such erosion.

Rather, such additions, emendations or annulments as may be salubrious should be allowed to evolve organically in the application of established customary "old and good" law (born from out of tradition and precedent), not in the ad hoc creation of arbitrary[1] statutory "new and unproven" law (born from out of nowhere, as it were).

[1] By "arbitrary" I mean "due to the predilections or desires of one or more particular persons" rather than "randomly, or seemingly without cause or reason." There are always causes and reasons (though often not good ones) for such laws, and they are never random ...
    The more people you have involved the easier it is for them to blame everyone else and the harder it is to replace them and undo what they did.

Everybody hates Congress but continues to reelect their Congresscritters because it is "all the fault of the other members of Congress"

I also like the idea suggested by brushfire to require all laws not in the Constitution to expire periodically so that they can be killed through neglect and so the Steward is occupied with maintaining them.

Do you have a system you would recommend?

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    Ya I'm all for government transparency.

I don't care that much if some guy had sex with a 17 year old on Epstein's island.

I DO care a LOT if they had sex with very young children and were doing Satanic ceremonies with children.

But as for the first guy, if he is making tyrannical laws in government or he is some corporate leader, financer, banker, media mogul or entertainer and they are doing the bidding of the deep state to further erode our liberties.. and he is doing so because he is being blackmailed over having sex with a 17 year old, then that's important to get out in the open.. I don't even think he needs to go to jail, they just need to have everything out in the open to significantly weaken the blackmailing operation which is impacting all of us.

Blackmail can lead to bodies on the floor. The Clinton's have a long trail behind them. As for the commander-in-chief have we seen any float to the surface yet?

Re: Transparency, I went into a chain hair cutting place and next to the glowing "open" sign directly positioned across from the register were two signs that could only be read from the inside but which could easily be flipped at a moments notice. One red, "Hair Stylist Wanted" the other read "Associate Wanted". Imagine if our government workers and representatives were constantly reminded that they are only "temp" employees.

We're being governed ruled by a geriatric Alzheimer patient/puppet whose strings are being pulled by an elitist oligarchy who believe they can manage the world... imagine the utter maniacal, sociopathic hubris!

I've been working on it for years but I'm always interested in ways to improve it, if you have any ideas let me know.

I working shared document of some kind? I'd love to read it.

We're being governed ruled by a geriatric Alzheimer patient/puppet whose strings are being pulled by an elitist oligarchy who believe they can manage the world... imagine the utter maniacal, sociopathic hubris!

Quote Originally Posted by Pauls' Revere View Post
    It's mostly in my head right now, this thread is the most I've ever put down in electrons or words so far.

I plan on writing up a Constitution for it some time and I'll add it to this thread when I do.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

It's mostly in my head right now, this thread is the most I've ever put down in electrons or words so far.

I plan on writing up a Constitution for it some time and I'll add it to this thread when I do.
    If you do. Might I suggest numbering each line and sentance, (tedious I know) but as you post it here we can use those points as reference so others can refer to them for input. Just an idea.

13. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    If you do. Might I suggest numbering each line and sentance, (tedious I know) but as you post it here we can use those points as reference so others can refer to them for input. Just an idea.
    I'll keep that in mind.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

I would also keep in mind this quote. "That which governs best, governs least"

I would also keep in mind this quote. "That which governs best, governs least"
    Absolutely!

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

I'll keep that in mind.
    I admire your ambition.

MODERATOR'S, Is this something we can do here on this site?

@H_H

Do you have any thoughts?

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

@ThePaleoLibertarian

What do you think of this?

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Amendment I

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances.

Whoever, under color of any law, statute, ordinance, regulation, or custom, willfully subjects any person in any State, Territory, Commonwealth, Possession, or District to the deprivation of any rights, privileges, or immunities secured or protected by the Constitution or laws of the United States, or to different punishments, pains, or penalties, on account of such person being an alien, or by reason of his color, or race, than are prescribed for the punishment of citizens, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than one year, or both;  and if bodily injury results from the acts committed in violation of this section or if such acts include the use, attempted use, or threatened use of a dangerous weapon, explosives, or fire, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than ten years, or both;  and if death results from the acts committed in violation of this section or if such acts include kidnapping or an attempt to kidnap, aggravated sexual abuse, or an attempt to commit aggravated sexual abuse, or an attempt to kill, shall be fined under this title, or imprisoned for any term of years or for life, or both, or may be sentenced to death.

If two or more persons conspire to injure, oppress, threaten, or intimidate any person in any State, Territory, Commonwealth, Possession, or District in the free exercise or enjoyment of any right or privilege secured to him by the Constitution or laws of the United States, or because of his having so exercised the same; or

If two or more persons go in disguise on the highway, or on the premises of another, with intent to prevent or hinder his free exercise or enjoyment of any right or privilege so secured- They shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than ten years, or both; and if death results from the acts committed in violation of this section or if such acts include kidnapping or an attempt to kidnap, aggravated sexual abuse or an attempt to commit aggravated sexual abuse, or an attempt to kill, they shall be fined under this title or imprisoned for any term of years or for life, or both, or may be sentenced to death.

Amendment II

A well-regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

Whoever, under color of any law, statute, ordinance, regulation, or custom, willfully subjects any person in any State, Territory, Commonwealth, Possession, or District to the deprivation of any rights, privileges, or immunities secured or protected by the Constitution or laws of the United States, or to different punishments, pains, or penalties, on account of such person being an alien, or by reason of his color, or race, than are prescribed for the punishment of citizens, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than one year, or both;  and if bodily injury results from the acts committed in violation of this section or if such acts include the use, attempted use, or threatened use of a dangerous weapon, explosives, or fire, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than ten years, or both;  and if death results from the acts committed in violation of this section or if such acts include kidnapping or an attempt to kidnap, aggravated sexual abuse, or an attempt to commit aggravated sexual abuse, or an attempt to kill, shall be fined under this title, or imprisoned for any term of years or for life, or both, or may be sentenced to death.

If two or more persons conspire to injure, oppress, threaten, or intimidate any person in any State, Territory, Commonwealth, Possession, or District in the free exercise or enjoyment of any right or privilege secured to him by the Constitution or laws of the United States, or because of his having so exercised the same; or

If two or more persons go in disguise on the highway, or on the premises of another, with intent to prevent or hinder his free exercise or enjoyment of any right or privilege so secured- They shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than ten years, or both; and if death results from the acts committed in violation of this section or if such acts include kidnapping or an attempt to kidnap, aggravated sexual abuse or an attempt to commit aggravated sexual abuse, or an attempt to kill, they shall be fined under this title or imprisoned for any term of years or for life, or both, or may be sentenced to death.

Amendment III

No soldier shall be quartered in any house without the consent of the owner.

Amendment IV

The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.

Amendment V

No person shall be held to answer for a capital, or otherwise infamous crime, unless on a presentment or indictment of a grand jury, except in cases arising in the land or naval forces, or in the militia, when in actual service in time of war or public danger; nor shall any person be subject for the same offense to be twice put in jeopardy of life or limb; nor shall be compelled in any criminal case to be a witness against himself, nor be deprived of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor shall private property be taken for public use.

Amendment VI

In all criminal prosecutions, the accused shall enjoy the right to a speedy and public trial, by an impartial jury of the state and district wherein the crime shall have been committed, which district shall have been previously ascertained by law, and to be informed of the nature and cause of the accusation; to be confronted with the witnesses against him; to have compulsory process for obtaining witnesses in his favor, and to have the assistance of counsel for his defense.

Amendment VII

In suits at common law, where the value in controversy shall exceed twenty dollars, the right of trial by jury shall be preserved, and no fact tried by a jury, shall be otherwise reexamined in any court of the United States, than according to the rules of the common law.

Amendment VIII

Excessive bail shall not be required, nor excessive fines imposed, nor cruel and unusual punishments inflicted.

Amendment IX

The enumeration in the Constitution, of certain rights, shall not be construed to deny or disparage others retained by the people.

Amendment X

The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the states, are reserved to the states respectively, or to the people.

An Agorist Primer ~ Samuel Edward Konkin III (free PDF download)

The End of All Evil ~ Jeremy Locke (free PDF download)

22. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Why not a directly elected relegating body. Imagine if we elected our own Supreme Justices?

Why not a directly elected relegating body. Imagine if we elected our own Supreme Justices?
    Relegating?
    Do you mean regulating?

I have to think about a directly elected SCOTUS, I don't believe that elected judges are any better than appointed ones and it dilutes the power of the executive so that he has someone else to blame if the people don't like what happens, that's why I want him to be able to remove them with the same system used for him to pick them.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Relegating?
    Do you mean regulating?

I have to think about a directly elected SCOTUS, I don't believe that elected judges are any better than appointed ones and it dilutes the power of the executive so that he has someone else to blame if the people don't like what happens, that's why I want him to be able to remove them with the same system used for him to pick them.
    LOL your right regulating,...one to many beers tonight. So, removed by the same system that installed them? I think a serious look at the justice sustem under the constitution needs to be reviewed. Scary in some sense, due process and all. I agree with due process regardless if I believe they may be guilty or not we MUST have due process.

Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    Boot the $#@!er!

LOL your right regulating,...one to many beers tonight. So, removed by the same system that installed them?
    Yes, the executive should be able to remove them with the advice and consent of the Senate.
    I think we discussed some alternative methods of removing them in addition to that before.

One of the failings of the Constitution is that it has too many checks and balances like lifetime appointed Justices, it makes reform difficult and slows down corruption so that the frog is boiled over the course of generations and doesn't jump out of the pot.
    The left wanted to be where we are now a generation or two ago and if they had been allowed to try for it there would have been an uprising and a mass rejection of the left, instead people thought they must not really be that bad because they were limited and continued associating with them until we got a generation that was removed from the past enough to embrace their madness.
    My system is designed to have a few checks and balances to allow for peaceful political revolution but in a way our current system is worse than not having any at all and resorting to "a little revolution now and then".

I think a serious look at the justice sustem under the constitution needs to be reviewed. Scary in some sense, due process and all. I agree with due process regardless if I believe they may be guilty or not we MUST have due process.
    Due process is the essence of justice.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Yes, the executive should be able to remove them with the advice and consent of the Senate.
    I think we discussed some alternative methods of removing them in addition to that before.

One of the failings of the Constitution is that it has too many checks and balances like lifetime appointed Justices, it makes reform difficult and slows down corruption so that the frog is boiled over the course of generations and doesn't jump out of the pot.
    The left wanted to be where we are now a generation or two ago and if they had been allowed to try for it there would have been an uprising and a mass rejection of the left, instead people thought they must not really be that bad because they were limited and continued associating with them until we got a generation that was removed from the past enough to embrace their madness.
    My system is designed to have a few checks and balances to allow for peaceful political revolution but in a way our current system is worse than not having any at all and resorting to "a little revolution now and then".

Due process is the essence of justice.
    Your advocating for a more "reactive" system. One where it stays in touch and reflects accordingly to the situation at hand. That's well and good, but some things are tried and true. i.e. due process. Question: How reactive should this be? idk, just asking, but tech moves very fast so if we use that then heck its going to move at light speed.

As far as removal and appointment I think two separate systems might work. One to appoint and one to remove. otherwise I could appoint a judge and if I don't like the vote or judgement then remove them as well. That's tyranny, at a basic level. Checks and balances are troublesome but given human nature and ALL its flaws, both good and bad, not sure if there is a better system. Perhaps there is, and if I find it I will share.

Your advocating for a more "reactive" system. One where it stays in touch and reflects accordingly to the situation at hand. That's well and good, but some things are tried and true. i.e. due process. Question: How reactive should this be? idk, just asking, but tech moves very fast so if we use that then heck its going to move at light speed.
    I like the direct limits like the Bill of Rights that have a higher bar set to change them with a Constitutional amendment and some small checks and balances that allow a peaceful change of government like those in the system I proposed but almost anything else is bad in my opinion.

As far as removal and appointment I think two separate systems might work. One to appoint and one to remove. otherwise I could appoint a judge and if I don't like the vote or judgement then remove them as well. That's tyranny, at a basic level.
    It's not tyranny unless the person removing the judge does so to violate the rights of the citizens and keeping the judge in place is tyranny if he ruled against the rights of the citizens.
    And I did require the advice and consent of the Senate so it isn't just one tyrant not liking a ruling and throwing out the judge, you would need one or more political parties to agree and compose a majority in the Senate.

Checks and balances are troublesome but given human nature and ALL its flaws, both good and bad, not sure if there is a better system. Perhaps there is, and if I find it I will share.
    Some checks and balances are required but we have too many right now.
    I'm always open to better ideas if you find some.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

I like the direct limits like the Bill of Rights that have a higher bar set to change them with a Constitutional amendment and some small checks and balances that allow a peaceful change of government like those in the system I proposed but almost anything else is bad in my opinion.

It's not tyranny unless the person removing the judge does so to violate the rights of the citizens and keeping the judge in place is tyranny if he ruled against the rights of the citizens.
    And I did require the advice and consent of the Senate so it isn't just one tyrant not liking a ruling and throwing out the judge, you would need one or more political parties to agree and compose a majority in the Senate.

Some checks and balances are required but we have too many right now.
    I'm always open to better ideas if you find some.

Interesting, geez I need to review the constitutional amendment process. Why have deviated from that so much? Why is it all shoved through the courts ( ninth circuit) for example. Perhaps if the process was "forced" to go through the constitutional amendment process it might be better. I think parties and activist try to (and in some cases succeed) by pass this because it is burdensome? Maybe if "that" was reformed accordingly? But doing so is another can of worms. But I think if you start there, with the constitutional amendment process it may help?

31. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Interesting, geez I need to review the constitutional amendment process. Why have deviated from that so much? Why is it all shoved through the courts ( ninth circuit) for example. Perhaps if the process was "forced" to go through the constitutional amendment process it might be better. I think parties and activist try to (and in some cases succeed) by pass this because it is burdensome? Maybe if "that" was reformed accordingly? But doing so is another can of worms. But I think if you start there, with the constitutional amendment process it may help?
    I like how hard it is to change the Constitution by amendment, I might consider allowing other methods but they should all be as hard. (allowing a national referendum that requires a 75% supermajority to replace the vote in Congress for example)
    The courts shouldn't be a coequal branch of government, they should be servants of the other branches, the problem is that the courts are allowed to modify the Constitution through interpretation (impossible to avoid) but they are not able to be easily held to account for rogue decisions not that the other methods of altering the Constitution are too difficult, if the judges could be removed by the Steward and the Senate they would be much more reluctant to try and legislate from the bench.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12