Thread: L. Neil Smith dead at 75

L. Neil Smith dead at 75

L. Neil Smith - Died Yesterday - We Mourn
    https://www.freedomsphoenix.com/News...y-we-mourn.htm
    Mike Dugger (28 August 2021)

I'm greatly saddened to hear of the passing of L. Neil Smith, the estimable science fiction author and lifelong lover of liberty. Neil was probably one of the most ardent and tireless advocates of the individual right to keep and bear arms in my lifetime. A literal brother-in-arms to all of us who believe in the supremacy of the individual, rather than the State. A man who greatly and positively influenced a generation or more of libertarians.

I extend my condolences to his wife, Cathy, who is Neil's equal in her love and pursuit of individual freedom, and as strong-willed therein as any of the heroines in Neil's novels. And to his daughter, Rylla, who exemplifies the qualities of both her parents in her own delightful and unique way.

I expect most of Neil's fans and friends were introduced to him through reading his many science fiction titles. My initial introduction to Neil was through his essays that floated, first around BBS systems in the 1980s, then through the fledgling internet of the 1990s, and ultimately published as Lever Action in 2001 by Vin Suprynowicz's Mountain Media. Those essays were a no-holds-barred advocacy of asserting and defending the rights of the individual, with a pronounced emphasis on gun rights; as were his science fiction novels which I came to read and appreciate somewhat later. Indeed, I think one of my first personal contacts with Neil was him thanking me for a revue I'd written of Pallas for The Arizona Libertarian. It wouldn't be our last, as we became good friends and political allies thereafter. He was the real deal and I am blessed to have had him as a true libertarian mentor.

Visit Neil's wikipedia page, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/L._Neil_Smith, for a brief biography and a list of his novels.

(Bob Anderson and Ernest Hancock were doing a Podcast when we heard the news and share his impact on us all while we battle the Forces of Evil he described we would have to face... very timely for what is happening all around us now)

001-0828220232-2021-08-28-Bob-Anderson-and-Ernest-Hancock.mp3
    The Bastiat Collection · FREE PDF · FREE EPUB · PAPER
    Frédéric Bastiat (1801-1850)

• "When law and morality are in contradiction to each other, the citizen finds himself in the cruel alternative of either losing his moral sense, or of losing his respect for the law."
      -- The Law (p. 54)
    • "Government is that great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else."
      -- Government (p. 99)
    • "[W]ar is always begun in the interest of the few, and at the expense of the many."
      -- Economic Sophisms - Second Series (p. 312)
    • "There are two principles that can never be reconciled - Liberty and Constraint."
      -- Harmonies of Political Economy - Book One (p. 447)

· tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito ·

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I've got a signed copy of Lever Action.

RIP brother.
    Another mark of a tyrant is that he likes foreigners better than citizens, and lives with them and invites them to his table; for the one are enemies, but the Others enter into no rivalry with him. - Aristotle's Politics Book 5 Part 11

It was his novels that ultimately convinced me that statelessness could actually work in real life. And, while I strongly disagreed with some of the changes he adopted wrt his philosophy in later years, L.Neil was a stalwart defender of liberty in general and gun rights in particular his entire life. Thd world is worse off for having lost him.
    Chris

"Government ... does not exist of necessity, but rather by virtue of a tragic, almost comical combination of klutzy, opportunistic terrorism against sitting ducks whom it pretends to shelter, plus our childish phobia of responsibility, praying to be exempted from the hard reality of life on life's terms." Wolf DeVoon

"...Make America Great Again. I'm interested in making American FREE again. Then the greatness will come automatically."Ron Paul

I figured this thread could use some of el Neil's greatest hits. This is a good one to start with:

Why Did it Have to be ... Guns?
    by L. Neil Smith

Over the past 30 years, I've been paid to write almost two million words, every one of which, sooner or later, came back to the issue of guns and gun-ownership. Naturally, I've thought about the issue a lot, and it has always determined the way I vote.

People accuse me of being a single-issue writer, a single- issue thinker, and a single- issue voter, but it isn't true. What I've chosen, in a world where there's never enough time and energy, is to focus on the one political issue which most clearly and unmistakably demonstrates what any politician -- or political philosophy -- is made of, right down to the creamy liquid center.

Make no mistake: all politicians -- even those ostensibly on the side of guns and gun ownership -- hate the issue and anyone, like me, who insists on bringing it up. They hate it because it's an X-ray machine. It's a Vulcan mind-meld. It's the ultimate test to which any politician -- or political philosophy -- can be put.

If a politician isn't perfectly comfortable with the idea of his average constituent, any man, woman, or responsible child, walking into a hardware store and paying cash -- for any rifle, shotgun, handgun, machinegun, anything -- without producing ID or signing one scrap of paper, he isn't your friend no matter what he tells you.

If he isn't genuinely enthusiastic about his average constituent stuffing that weapon into a purse or pocket or tucking it under a coat and walking home without asking anybody's permission, he's a four-flusher, no matter what he claims.

What his attitude -- toward your ownership and use of weapons -- conveys is his real attitude about you. And if he doesn't trust you, then why in the name of John Moses Browning should you trust him?

If he doesn't want you to have the means of defending your life, do you want him in a position to control it?

If he makes excuses about obeying a law he's sworn to uphold and defend -- the highest law of the land, the Bill of Rights -- do you want to entrust him with anything?

If he ignores you, sneers at you, complains about you, or defames you, if he calls you names only he thinks are evil -- like "Constitutionalist" -- when you insist that he account for himself, hasn't he betrayed his oath, isn't he unfit to hold office, and doesn't he really belong in jail?

Sure, these are all leading questions. They're the questions that led me to the issue of guns and gun ownership as the clearest and most unmistakable demonstration of what any given politician -- or political philosophy -- is really made of.

He may lecture you about the dangerous weirdos out there who shouldn't have a gun -- but what does that have to do with you? Why in the name of John Moses Browning should you be made to suffer for the misdeeds of others? Didn't you lay aside the infantile notion of group punishment when you left public school -- or the military? Isn't it an essentially European notion, anyway -- Prussian, maybe -- and certainly not what America was supposed to be all about?

And if there are dangerous weirdos out there, does it make sense to deprive you of the means of protecting yourself from them? Forget about those other people, those dangerous weirdos, this is about you, and it has been, all along.

Try it yourself: if a politician won't trust you, why should you trust him? If he's a man -- and you're not -- what does his lack of trust tell you about his real attitude toward women? If "he" happens to be a woman, what makes her so perverse that she's eager to render her fellow women helpless on the mean and seedy streets her policies helped create? Should you believe her when she says she wants to help you by imposing some infantile group health care program on you at the point of the kind of gun she doesn't want you to have?

On the other hand -- or the other party -- should you believe anything politicians say who claim they stand for freedom, but drag their feet and make excuses about repealing limits on your right to own and carry weapons? What does this tell you about their real motives for ignoring voters and ramming through one infantile group trade agreement after another with other countries?

Makes voting simpler, doesn't it? You don't have to study every issue -- health care, international trade -- all you have to do is use this X-ray machine, this Vulcan mind-meld, to get beyond their empty words and find out how politicians really feel. About you. And that, of course, is why they hate it.

And that's why I'm accused of being a single-issue writer, thinker, and voter.

But it isn't true, is it?

Permission to redistribute this article is herewith granted by the author -- provided that it is reproduced unedited, in its entirety, and appropriate credit given.
    https://lneilsmith.org/whyguns.html
    Chris

"Government ... does not exist of necessity, but rather by virtue of a tragic, almost comical combination of klutzy, opportunistic terrorism against sitting ducks whom it pretends to shelter, plus our childish phobia of responsibility, praying to be exempted from the hard reality of life on life's terms." Wolf DeVoon

"...Make America Great Again. I'm interested in making American FREE again. Then the greatness will come automatically."Ron Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Occam's Banana View Post
    L. Neil Smith - Died Yesterday - We Mourn
    https://www.freedomsphoenix.com/News...y-we-mourn.htm
    Mike Dugger (28 August 2021)

I'm greatly saddened to hear of the passing of L. Neil Smith, the estimable science fiction author and lifelong lover of liberty. Neil was probably one of the most ardent and tireless advocates of the individual right to keep and bear arms in my lifetime. A literal brother-in-arms to all of us who believe in the supremacy of the individual, rather than the State. A man who greatly and positively influenced a generation or more of libertarians.

I extend my condolences to his wife, Cathy, who is Neil's equal in her love and pursuit of individual freedom, and as strong-willed therein as any of the heroines in Neil's novels. And to his daughter, Rylla, who exemplifies the qualities of both her parents in her own delightful and unique way.

I expect most of Neil's fans and friends were introduced to him through reading his many science fiction titles. My initial introduction to Neil was through his essays that floated, first around BBS systems in the 1980s, then through the fledgling internet of the 1990s, and ultimately published as Lever Action in 2001 by Vin Suprynowicz's Mountain Media. Those essays were a no-holds-barred advocacy of asserting and defending the rights of the individual, with a pronounced emphasis on gun rights; as were his science fiction novels which I came to read and appreciate somewhat later. Indeed, I think one of my first personal contacts with Neil was him thanking me for a revue I'd written of Pallas for The Arizona Libertarian. It wouldn't be our last, as we became good friends and political allies thereafter. He was the real deal and I am blessed to have had him as a true libertarian mentor.

Visit Neil's wikipedia page, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/L._Neil_Smith, for a brief biography and a list of his novels.

(Bob Anderson and Ernest Hancock were doing a Podcast when we heard the news and share his impact on us all while we battle the Forces of Evil he described we would have to face... very timely for what is happening all around us now)

001-0828220232-2021-08-28-Bob-Anderson-and-Ernest-Hancock.mp3
    Had never heard of him but thank you for posting. If there were 1 thing you'd recommend I read (or hear) by him, what would it be?

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    I've got a signed copy of Lever Action.

RIP brother.
    The cover art cracks me up

RIP
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Donald Trump / Crenshaw 2024!!!!

My pronouns are he/him/his

Quote Originally Posted by CCTelander View Post
    I figured this thread could use some of el Neil's greatest hits. This is a good one to start with:

https://lneilsmith.org/whyguns.html
    I suppose if you're gonna choose one thing to dedicate your life's work to...

2nd amendment is a good one
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Another one from the 90s, again on gun rights, and the all too common Republican betrayals of them:

It's the Bill of Rights, Stupid
    Especially the Second Amendment

by L. Neil Smith

Texas congressman Dick Armey is talking up some pretty good ideas -- for a Republican.

According to a recent announcement, he wants to cut federal income taxes to a flat rate of 17 percent -- which is too much, but what do you expect? He would allow generous exemptions: $10,000 for individuals, $14,000 for single parents, $20,000 for couples, and so on, meaning that most people would wind up paying that 17 percent on merely a fraction of their income. The best news is that he would replace the hated Form 1040 with a postcard, and eliminate tax-withholding altogether, something that would be extremely good for this country.

But what is he going to do about Kay Bailey Hutchison?

Hutchison, you may recall, is the lady that conservatives were aflutter over, who humiliated the Democrats by taking Lloyd Bentsen's Senate seat away from them when he descended to the Clinton cabinet, and who survived what amounted to an assassination attempt -- assault-lawyers at thirty paces -- on the part of Governor Ann "Ma" Richards, more or less by staring the old crone squarely in the eye and saying, "Let she who is without graft cast the first aspersion."

Great stuff.

But when push came to shove, what kind of conservative, what kind of Republican, what kind of Senator did Kay turn out to be? No better than Ma Richards, really, who earned the contempt of everyone with an educated concern for the Bill of Rights by vetoing a liberalized concealed-carry statute passed overwhelmingly by her legislature. Bailey's first significant act as a United States Senator was to join one-too-many of her fellow Republicans in voting the Brady Bill -- primarily intended to reduce handgun purchases by women -- into law. Ironically, the old pre-Waco Bentsen would probably have voted against it.

And that, of course, set the stage for Republicans to join the Clinton Gang in its blatantly illegal attempt -- the Feinstein Amendment -- to outlaw that very class of weapons most clearly meant to be protected by the Second Amendment.

Now what, I hear you asking, does Hutchison's dimwitted betrayal of the Constitution have to do with Armey's good-hearted, high-minded effort to help Americans keep more of their income? Simply this: conservatives frequently -- and erroneously -- assume that a free economy is the same thing as a free country. Let no one doubt my fervent desire for an economy less constrained than any Republican can imagine, but what good is money if you don't have any rights?

Let me put it another way: the Bill of Rights is basically the only thing that keeps America from becoming the world's largest banana republic -- and there are plenty of banana republics that don't have any income tax at all.

Or let me put it still another way, seeing as how Armey's proposal isn't good-hearted or high-minded at all, but just a stab -- and a commendable one -- at taking advantage of Bill and Hillary's loopy policies of governmental greed and implacable hatred for individual achievement: most observers on both sides of the ideological fence were quick to cite George Bush's broken promise about taxes as a factor in his 1992 defeat; few of them noticed -- or wanted to discuss publicly -- the fact that he lost by a margin remarkably similar to the number of gun-owning single-issue voters he had offended on several occasions.

All along, it was the Bill of Rights, stupid -- especially the Second Amendment.

Ancient Rome had some odd institutions, among them the phenomenon of wealthy slaves. I don't want to be part of that particular classical revival, do you? Tell you what, Dick, make me an offer I really can't refuse. Before you volunteer again to let me keep more of what was mine to begin with anyway, why not try enforcing the highest law of the land, the Bill of Rights? Each and every article. Lock up -- that's right, arrest, indict, try, and imprison -- those among your colleagues, Republican or Democrat, who attempt to vote my liberties away.

I might take you seriously if you do that.

You may not remember, but it's what you promised to do when you took office.

Until then, I will continue to vote Libertarian -- and work as hard as I can at persuading others to do the same -- even if in practical terms it means seeing one slimy, repulsive, liberal Democrat after another elected to office. To put that another way, it may be necessary to destroy the GOP in order to save it.

And it's preferable to supporting a party that consistently demonstrates treacherous disregard for certain basic civilities -- as embodied in the first ten Amendments to the Constitution -- to which we all supposedly agreed, so long ago.

L. Neil Smith is the award-winning author of 19 books including The Probability Broach, The Crystal Empire, Henry Martyn, The Lando Calrissian Adventures, Pallas, and (forthcoming) Bretta Martyn and Lever Action. An NRA Life Member and founder of the Libertarian Second Amendment Caucus, he has been active in the Libertarian movement for 34 years and is its most prolific and widely-published living novelist.

Permission to redistribute this article is herewith granted by the author - provided that it is reproduced unedited, in its entirety, and appropriate credit given.
    https://lneilsmith.org/billofri.html
    Chris

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    "Choose your allies carefully: it's highly unlikely that you'll ever be held morally, legally, or historically accountable for the actions of your enemies." - L. Neil Smith
    Chris

"Choose your allies carefully: it's highly unlikely that you'll ever be held morally, legally, or historically accountable for the actions of your enemies." - L. Neil Smith
    Well, keep in mind also, that you will only be "held accountable" if you lose. And the more allies you have, the better your odds of winning.
    - Kim Kardashian

"Conservatives are accustomed to being called fascists and are well prepared to defend themselves on that ground. Liberals are used to being called socialists. Those labels can be switched, however, and remain valid and instructive. It also catches them completely unprepared." -L. Neil Smith
    Chris

Hmmmm...

The Manchurian Lobbyist
    by L. Neil Smith

Gil Russell, Agent
    The Meredith Scott Literary Agency
    523 Third Avenue, New York, NY 10023
    Dear Gil:

After writing 18 SF novels in 15 years, it's time for a change. How about a thriller that'll keep you up and turning pages all night?

In the background, DoD has become no more than a welfare system for redundant engineers and foundering corporations. The military is only good for beating up on Third World losers, and can't tell an airliner from an enemy fighter-bomber. Against foes foreign and domestic, the only bulwark of America's unique historical institutions is an armed citizenry, growing restive under an unbearable burden of taxes and increasingly vocal about it.

My first characters are left-politicos led by a senile, obsessive -- but totally fictional -- Senator from Ohio and his colleague, a semi-convicted murderer from Massachussetts. They form a bipartisan cabal with the President, an ancient preppie bright enough to see that he's the Jimmy Carter of the GOP and determined to become its Lyndon Johnson if he has to destroy the republic in order to save it. They scheme to strip Americans of the hardware politicians always find so discouraging and turn people back into the loot-producing serfs Alexander Hamilton intended them to be.

They enlist the nation's top gun control advocates, which look like any wine-and-cheese liberal pressure group. In fact they're memberless fronts originally created by a Nixonian Odessa of ex-CIA types determined to drag Dick -- or his political ideas -- out of cryogenics where he stored himself two decades ago and prop him up in the Oval Office for one last hurrah. The spooks control the so-called mental health industry, grim gulags where the light of the Constitution never shines and real-life mad scientists pump helpless captives full of memory-cauterizing voltage and identity-dissolving chemicals, producing customized high tech zombies, sent home on disability payments to watch daytime TV and gobble Twinkies with inhuman patience until they're needed.

Now periodically we get enough of the gore that electronic fear-merchants splash across our living room carpets every night, or fed up with intrusive, incessant nagging labeled "public service messages". Some of us appear to have absorbed the fact that the Bill of Rights means what it says and that the state's latest moral substitute for war is being waged against freedom itself. It's then that one of these zombies gets a call with key-words buried in it, "You have miles to go and promises to keep, Orville-Bob...", takes up his saturdaynightspecial or his evilassaultrifle (depending how he's been programmed), while the senators, spooks, and fear-merchants warm up the public relations machinery.

The zombie finds a Campfire Girls convention and blows away as many photogenic victims as possible, then eats his front sight and yanks the trigger one more time. Psycho-vultures descend on the community and the media make a big deal of his history of mental illness without mentioning the 20,000 laws already on the books which forbid him to own guns. Instead, they blame tens of millions of innocent gun owners (the killer isn't available for a post-bloodbath interview, but his neighbors all say he was very quiet) give 51% of their time to the front-groups who built the killer in the first place and 51% to the spinless, dull-witted, militantly moderate President and the senators from Ohio and Massachussetts who "spontaneously" produce a 1500-page bill depriving us not only of guns, but of kitchen knives, keyrings, and fingernails.

Not one reporter asks why liberal Democrats are in bed with Nixon's CIA.

Anyone who tries to point out that this spectacular and convenient mass-Osterizing happened the very week the legislature began deliberating gun laws, and that similar "coincidences" have occurred in three states over the last six months, is kept off the air at all costs. Maybe he'll get locked up and become the next trigger-zombie.

The new bill violates 153 Constitutional provisions and includes a death penalty for even thinking about Dan'l Boone's flintlock, but gets befuddled blessings from the President. TV keeps the pressure on: lavishing thousands of praise-filled air-hours on the "courageous" senators who wrote it, they simultaneously condemn it as too moderate, a sellout to the gun lobby.

Now for a plot-twist: the rich, powerful, multimillion-member group created to defend the principle of armed citizenry to the death (and take whatever heat ol' Prez won't accept as his part of the deal) inexplicably finds itself weak, poor, and inclined to compromise -- although the media characterize it as unyielding. Its official spokesmen help by shaving their heads to enchance an already amazing resemblance to Nikita Khruschev. We don't find out until the next-to-last chapter that it's as stuffed with ex-Nixonites as the so-called liberal gun control organizations.

I haven't figured out how the conspiracy gets exposed, but I gotta have a happy ending. Maybe, although they don't know it, the spooks were conditioned to kill themselves like zombies, to give the President credible deniability. The senators are convicted under a little known statute for violating their oath of office and sent to a high-walled place with bars -- where the regular tenants treat them the same way they've been treating Senate pages for years.

Maybe I should update it to include a President who really is a clone of Jimmy Carter and his wife, a reincarnation of Joan Crawford.

The media -- this is where I'm having trouble. My first thought was, once the plot was exposed, they changed their ways when they realized that their First Amendment rights weren't any more secure than the Second Amendment rights of the gun owners they persecute. But I can hear you saying right now that no editor will go for that.

This is a novel, after all. It has to be believable.

L. Neil Smith

L. Neil Smith is the award-winning author of 19 books including The Probability Broach, The Crystal Empire, Henry Martyn, The Lando Calrissian Adventures, Pallas, and (forthcoming) Bretta Martyn and Lever Action. An NRA Life Member and founder of the Libertarian Second Amendment Caucus, he has been active in the Libertarian movement for 34 years and is its most prolific and widely-published living novelist.

Permission to redistribute this article is herewith granted by the author -- provided that it is reproduced unedited, in its entirety, and appropriate credit given.
    https://lneilsmith.org/manchulo.html
    Chris

Not one reporter asks why liberal Democrats are in bed with [the] CIA.
    Now, that's just ridiculous! The idea that Democrats, with the full cooperation of journalists, would ever support or be supported by the CIA is completely nonsensical. It strains suspension of disbelief far past its breaking point.

This L. Neil Smith guy is obviously just some kind of unhinged, wackadoo crackpot.
    Last edited by Occam's Banana; 09-25-2021 at 05:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Occam's Banana View Post
    Now, that's just ridiculous! The idea that Democrats, with the full cooperation of journalists, would ever support or be supported by the CIA is completely nonsensical. It strains suspension of disbelief far past its breaking point.

This L. Neil Smith guy is obviously just some kind of unhinged, wackadoo crackpot.

A crazy man for sure. But they'll let almost anyone in around here, so ...
    Chris

"If you can avoid it, never play on the other guy's field, by the other guy's rules, or with the other guy's ball. He didn't design his system to give you the advantage. Remember that organisms defending their own territory are twice as effective as an intruding attacker." - L. Neil Smith

But DO vote harder this next election cycle.
    Last edited by CCTelander; 09-26-2021 at 02:32 PM.
    Chris

"If you're not a little bit uncomfortable with your position, it isn't radical enough. How can you be too principled? Take the most extreme position you can -- you're claiming territory you won't have to fight for later, mostly against your 'allies'." - L. Neil Smith
    Chris

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    "The shortest path to victory is a straight line. He who remains most consistent wins." - L. Neil Smith
    Chris