Thread: Smart home device alerts New Mexico authorities to alleged assault

Smart home device alerts New Mexico authorities to alleged assault

http://abcnews.go.com/US/smart-home-...ry?id=48470912

By MORGAN WINSOR Jul 6, 2017

A smart home device alerted authorities to an alleged assault at a residence in New Mexico earlier this week.

Eduardo Barros was house-sitting with his girlfriend and her daughter Sunday night at a residence in Tijeras, some 15 miles east of Albuquerque. The couple got into an argument and the altercation became physical, according to the Bernalillo County Sheriff Department's spokesperson, Deputy Felicia Romero.

Barros allegedly wielded a firearm and threatened to kill his girlfriend, asking her: "Did you call the sheriffs?" A smart speaker, which was hooked up to a surround sound system inside the home, recognized that as a voice command and called 911, Romero said.

The sheriff's department said deputies arrived on scene and were able to remove the woman and her daughter from the residence. The woman sustained injuries from the altercation but was not taken to a hospital. Her daughter was unharmed, according to Romero.

A crisis negotiation team, as well as a SWAT team, were deployed to the home and were able to take Barros into custody after an hours-long stand-off, Romero said.

Authorities said the smart device potentially played a life-saving role in the incident.

“The unexpected use of this new technology to contact emergency services has possibly helped save a life. This amazing technology definitely helped save a mother and her child from a very violent situation," Bernalillo County Sheriff Manuel Gonzales III said in a statement to ABC News.

According to court documents obtained by ABC News, Barros is facing charges of possession of a firearm or destructive device by a felon, aggravated battery against a household member, aggravated assault against a household member and false imprisonment.

Barros appeared Wednesday in the Bernalillo County Metropolitan Court in Albuquerque, where a judge determined there was probable cause for his arrest, according to court spokeswoman Camille Baca.

Prosecutors also filed a motion for preventative detention, and Barros will be held without bond until a hearing date is set for him to appear in the Second Judicial District Court in Albuquerque, Baca said.

Barros is being represented by a public defender and has not yet entered a plea, the court said.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Google Home Ends A Domestic Dispute By Calling The Police

https://yro.slashdot.org/story/17/07...ing-the-police

According to ABC News, officers were called to a home outside Albuquerque, New Mexico this week when a Google Home called 911 and the operator heard a confrontation in the background. Police say that Eduardo Barros was house-sitting at the residence with his girlfriend and their daughter. Barros allegedly pulled a gun on his girlfriend when they got into an argument and asked her: "Did you call the sheriffs?" Google Home apparently heard "call the sheriffs," and proceeded to call the sheriffs. A SWAT team arrived at the home and after negotiating for hours, they were able to take Barros into custody... "The unexpected use of this new technology to contact emergency services has possibly helped save a life," Bernalillo County Sheriff Manuel Gonzales III said in a statement.

"It's easy to imagine police getting tired of being called to citizen's homes every time they watch the latest episode of Law and Order," quips Gizmodo. But they also call the incident "a clear reminder that smart home devices are always listening."
    This is exactly what happens when you buy tech designed to spy on you.
    1776 > 1984

The FAILURE of the United States Government to operate and maintain an
    Honest Money System , which frees the ordinary man from the clutches of the money manipulators, is the single largest contributing factor to the World's current Economic Crisis.

The Elimination of Privacy is the Architecture of Genocide

Belief, Money, and Violence are the three ways all people are controlled

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Our central bank is not privately owned.

Quote Originally Posted by DamianTV View Post
    https://yro.slashdot.org/story/17/07...ing-the-police

This is exactly what happens when you buy tech designed to spy on you.
    Bu ut if your not doing anything wrong.
    “[T]he enshrinement of constitutional rights necessarily takes certain policy choices off the table.” (Heller, 554 U.S., at ___, 128 S.Ct., at 2822.)

How long before "going liberal" replaces "going postal"?

Don't need a weather man to know which way the wind blows

And there's no stopping this, other than going to ground and fully off grid, which of course puts you right on the radar of the powers that be.

The $#@!ing futurists (god damn them) will keep pushing this crap through the "Internet of Things" until there will be no avoiding it.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    And there's no stopping this, other than going to ground and fully off grid, which of course puts you right on the radar of the powers that be.

The $#@!ing futurists (god damn them) will keep pushing this crap through the "Internet of Things" until there will be no avoiding it.
    Conspiracy theorist: 9-1-1 was an inside job.
    Google/Alexis/Siri: Calling 9-1-1.
    Conspiracy theorist: No. I was talking about the attack on 9-1-1 being an inside job. Don't call 9-1-1.
    Google/Alexis/Siri: So you are looking for job placement with the local police in your area. I'll dial that number.
    Conspiracy Theorist: No, don't call the local police! I don't want a job. I was saying that the terror attacks were an inside job.
    Google/Alexis/Siri: It seems you have information regarding a possible terror attack. Now connecting you to the FBI terrorist taskforce hotline.
    Conspiracy Theorist: No damnit! Do not call the FBI!
    Google/Alexis/Siri: I'm detected elevated levels of panic in your voice recognition. You must need assistance. Calling 9-1-1.

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    Conspiracy theorist: 9-1-1 was an inside job.
    Google/Alexis/Siri: Calling 9-1-1.
    Conspiracy theorist: No. I was talking about the attack on 9-1-1 being an inside job. Don't call 9-1-1.
    Google/Alexis/Siri: So you are looking for job placement with the local police in your area. I'll dial that number.
    Conspiracy Theorist: No, don't call the local police! I don't want a job. I was saying that the terror attacks were an inside job.
    Google/Alexis/Siri: It seems you have information regarding a possible terror attack. Now connecting you to the FBI terrorist taskforce hotline.
    Conspiracy Theorist: No damnit! Do not call the FBI!
    Google/Alexis/Siri: I'm detected elevated levels of panic in your voice recognition. You must need assistance. Calling 9-1-1.
    If you or I had told people, say thirty years ago, that the public will willfully, readily and with their own money, put themselves under Big Brother surveillance far beyond what government would ever hope to attempt, I wonder if anybody would have believed us?

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    If you or I had told people, say thirty years ago, that the public will willfully, readily and with their own money, put themselves under Big Brother surveillance far beyond what government would ever hope to attempt, I wonder if anybody would have believed us?
    I don't think either of us have too good a track record of convincing boobus of anything. And the Panopticon is only going to exponentially expand at this point. About all I can do now is pray for a solar EMP.

No such devices will be allowed in my house, devices with some other use (like a SMART Fridge) will have their uplink removed.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    No such devices will be allowed in my house, devices with some other use (like a SMART Fridge) will have their uplink removed.
    Would you like to visit your crazy grandpa? He removed uplinks from all of his devices. He thinks somebody is spying on him. Can you imagine this?

Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    Would you like to visit your crazy grandpa? He removed uplinks from all of his devices. He thinks somebody is spying on him. Can you imagine this?
    By the time I am a Grandpa it will probably be a capital offense to remove a device's uplinks, so my descendants will have to visit me at the cemetery.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by mrsat_98 View Post
    Bu ut if your not doing anything wrong.
    The difference between Right and Wrong is Subjective. So what happens when Alexa calls the cops for having a cigarette in front of your children?
    1776 > 1984

Honest Money System , which frees the ordinary man from the clutches of the money manipulators, is the single largest contributing factor to the World's current Economic Crisis.

The difference between Right and Wrong is Subjective. So what happens when Alexa calls the cops for having a cigarette in front of your children?
    Or yelling at your tv? Or scratching your balls?

Or yelling at your tv? Or scratching your balls?
    Depends on who you ask that would get offended by that. For some, if I am at home on a Sunday morning, Im doing something wrong. To many people, if Im not out working, Im doing something wrong. To a health insurance provider, if I am not eating healthy enough or taking prescriptions, I am doing something wrong. Insurance companies will have no problem paying out the ass for data like that. To govt, if I talk about any sort of imbalance in the system, Im doing something wrong. And yes, there will be those who think I am doing something wrong if I am yelling at the tv or scratching my balls.

All data can be used against you, and it wont always be in a court of law.
    1776 > 1984

I don't suppose it would be a good uidea to listen to rap chanting PHUCK THE POLICE
    “[T]he enshrinement of constitutional rights necessarily takes certain policy choices off the table.” (Heller, 554 U.S., at ___, 128 S.Ct., at 2822.)

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by mrsat_98 View Post
    I don't suppose it would be a good uidea to listen to rap chanting PHUCK THE POLICE
    I heard that George Clooney once slapped a Phuck The Police on the back of Brad Pitt's car, and Brad had some explaining to do when the boys in blue pulled his cop hating ass over!

But oddly, you do make a valid point. Even your MUSIC is subject to approval. The problem is there are ALWAYS people who are looking to start a fight, like cops.
    1776 > 1984

All data can be used against you, and it wont always be in a court of law.
    Judge: Pacemaker data can be used in Middletown arson trial

http://www.journal-news.com/news/jud...wpT2Jmy9ltHQP/

MIDDLETOWN—

In what is believed to be the first case of its kind to use data from a beating heart as evidence, a Butler County judge ruled Tuesday that evidence from a pacemaker used to get a Middletown man indicted for arson can be presented at trial.

Ross Compton, 59, was indicted in January on felony charges of aggravated arson and insurance fraud for allegedly starting a fire in September 2016 at his Court Donegal house. The blaze caused nearly $400,000 in damages.

MORE: Data from man’s pacemaker led to arson charges

Middletown detectives said Compton gave statements that were “inconsistent” with evidence collected at the scene.

Compton, who has an artificial heart implant that uses an external pump, told police he was asleep when the fire started. When he awoke and saw the fire, he told police he packed some belongings in a suitcase and bags, broke out the glass of his bedroom window with a cane, and threw the bags and suitcase outside before taking them to his car.

Police then obtained a search warrant for all of the electronic data stored in Compton’s cardiac pacing device, according to court records.

Data from man’s pacemaker led to arson charges http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...-arson-charges

Data from man’s pacemaker led to arson charges http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...-arson-charges
    Way to steal from AF, Ed. Just like you,

Way to steal from AF, Ed. Just like you,

You so witty. You so . Love you long time.

I thought it was what you wanted me to do to you.

You, would.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    So which one of you is the cop, in this PHUCK THE POLICE discussion.