Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Jesse Benton, Dimitri Kesari, and John Tate have been convicted

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Hillary Clinton could hand out those big 4 foot checks in exchange for endorsements on national TV every day of the week and there would never be an indictment or prosecution. She could also take huge bribes in exchange for favors. Oh wait, everyone knows about that already.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Collins View Post
    A court of law has determined he is innocent. When it comes to breaking the law, that is all that matters.
    http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...rruption-trial

What say you now @Matt Collins.

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    My first thought was double-jeopardy, but I assume they found some way around that. Where there's a will, there's a way.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Here are the details to the story:

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/sto...tate/83968234/

If a court of law found them guilty then under the law they are guilty.
    __________________________________________________ ________________
    "A politician will do almost anything to keep their job, even become a patriot" - Hearst

If a court of law found them guilty then under the law they are guilty.
    Guess they were extra motivated to hunt down political corruption...

The trial was a rare second try for the federal government to convict the operatives after an earlier prosecution last year ended with mixed results. A grand jury indicted the three operatives on several charges that were first announced on Aug. 5, including conspiracy, causing false records, causing false campaign expenditure reports and false statements scheme.

But U.S. District Judge John Jarvey dismissed the charges entirely against Tate and all but one charge against Benton ahead of a trial that began in October.

The dismissals, which left the door open for new prosecutions using different evidence, came after Jarvey found prosecutors wrongly used evidence gathered in FBI interviews with Benton and Tate to secure indictments from the grand jury. Both operatives participated in the interviews after signing so-called proffer agreements that bar prosecutors from using their statements as evidence against them in a wide variety of charges, according to the Associated Press.

Benton was acquitted at the first trial of a single count of lying to FBI agents.
    Interesting. So dismissing the charges before a trial that would probably result in a loss for the prosecution allows them to regroup and try it again.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    Hillary Clinton could hand out those big 4 foot checks in exchange for endorsements on national TV every day of the week and there would never be an indictment or prosecution. She could also take huge bribes in exchange for favors. Oh wait, everyone knows about that already.
    I never did care for the "she did it, so I should be able to get away with it too" defense. Maybe Hillary's judgment day is yet to come. I hope it does, but if not, that still doesn't excuse Jesse Benton.

Quote Originally Posted by cajuncocoa View Post
    I never did care for the "she did it, so I should be able to get away with it too" defense. Maybe Hillary's judgment day is yet to come. I hope it does, but if not, that still doesn't excuse Jesse Benton.
    Not meant as a defense at all. More a statement about unequal enforcement of the law.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Wonder if Ron ever knew about this.

Quote Originally Posted by younglibertarian View Post
    I doubt it. This was handled at the RonPaul, Inc. level. I don't think he payed much attention to the day to day operation.

They should have invited Sorenson to give a 1hr speech for the staffers at a heavily discounted rate. Or that would be illegal too?

Quote Originally Posted by younglibertarian View Post
    From 2014.

On the stand, Mr. Paul seemed barely to know who Mr. Sorenson was. He recalled being annoyed by the suddenness of a news conference called for Mr. Sorenson to endorse him in December 2011, days before the Iowa caucuses.

He denied any knowledge of payments made for the endorsement. Asked by the defense if he felt victimized by former aides, Mr. Paul, a lifelong critic of federal overreach, grew animated. “I blame the government,” he said. “How can I be a victim of my staff?”

Mr. Paul said he took a dim view of all political endorsements, recalling a 1996 race for Congress, when Newt Gingrich, then speaker of the House, lined up endorsements for a rival in the Republican primary. Mr. Paul said his sole endorsement was by the baseball pitcher Nolan Ryan — and he won.
    http://www.nytimes.com/politics/firs...-former-aides/

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    Not meant as a defense at all. More a statement about unequal enforcement of the law.
    Indeed. if this were Hillary who was facing these charges, they would still be "investigating" the matter years later, with no wrap up in sight.
    -----Peace & Freedom, John Clifton-----
    Blog: https://electclifton.wordpress.com/2...back-backlash/

Yeah they probably shouldn't have done it, but you do realize that? ....

1 - this law is unconstitutional. The Constitution does not give the federal government the authority to regulate campaigns

2- this is purely politically motivated. The case against Jesse was already thrown out previously, but they decided to try again.
    "A politician will do almost anything to keep their job, even become a patriot" - Hearst

1 - this law is unconstitutional. The Constitution does not give the federal government the authority to regulate campaigns

2- this is purely politically motivated. The case against Jesse was already thrown out previously, but they decided to try again.
    When is the sentencing? Do you know?
    ================
    Open Borders: A Libertarian Reappraisal or why only dumbasses and cultural marxists are for it.

Cultural Marxism: The Corruption of America

The Property Basis of Rights

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Endorsements tend to be overrated. Reagan was barely endorsed by anyone early on. Well many people tried to warn the campaign about problems.

You're probably right.

But the good news is that we hopefully won't have to ever worry about Benton's slimy paws touching another campaign of Rand's. Don't you agree?

Quote Originally Posted by New York For Paul View Post
    Endorsements tend to be overrated. Reagan was barely endorsed by anyone early on. Well many people tried to warn the campaign about problems.
    Yeah, well that was $73k worth of overrated donated by thin pockets.

Constitution? What's that?
    Freedom Report

Twitter Page

"I am convinced that there are more threats to American liberty within the 10 mile radius of my office on Capitol Hill than there are on the rest of the globe." -- Ron Paul

Yeah they probably shouldn't have done it
    Oh, what a bold, courageous denouncement of corruption, Mr. Collins. What a strong stand you have against corruption and deceit. Remind me to make you head of the Ethics Committee.

You picked the wrong friends, Collins. You picked the wrong friends. These guys were, and are, bad news. They're slimy. You knew that. Everybody knew that. Everybody who ever worked with them knew that. And you are very much tarnished by your association with and defense of them.

Quote Originally Posted by cajuncocoa View Post
    THANK you!
    Our greatest happiness does not depend on the condition of life in which chance has placed us, but is always the result of a good conscience, good health, occupation, and freedom in all just pursuits.
    --Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by helmuth_hubener View Post
    Oh, what a bold, courageous denouncement of corruption, Mr. Collins. What a strong stand you have against corruption and deceit. Remind me to make you head of the Ethics Committee.

You picked the wrong friends, Collins. You picked the wrong friends. These guys were, and are, bad news. They're slimy. You knew that. Everybody knew that. Everybody who ever worked with them knew that. And you are very much tarnished by your association with and defense of them.
    No, I had no idea about any of this until it was public actually. In fact they were very adamant about following FEC rules and not deviating from them. As I said they shouldn't have done this, but the law they were convicted under is unconstitutional.

Just another day in AmeriKa...
    Another mark of a tyrant is that he likes foreigners better than citizens, and lives with them and invites them to his table; for the one are enemies, but the Others enter into no rivalry with him. - Aristotle's Politics Book 5 Part 11

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by helmuth_hubener View Post

Oh, I'm sure the way he's wandering around Ron Paul Forums lobbing bricks at Ron Paul for giving Republicans lukewarm endorsements is also taking the shine off...
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    We believe our lying eyes...

If a court of law found them guilty then under the law they are guilty
    Bull$#@!. Courts of law routinely find innocent people guilty. http://www.innocenceproject.org/cases/
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

Quote Originally Posted by heavenlyboy34 View Post
    Bull$#@!. Courts of law routinely find innocent people guilty. http://www.innocenceproject.org/cases/
    No, read what I wrote. I said that they are guilty under the law. The law now considers them guilty whether they perpetrated the act or not.

Well, if Benton gets any prison time, I just hope Collins is allowed to have conjugal visits.

Leave it to the professionals, they said.

You grassroots kooks are making us look bad, they said.

Endorsements are meaningless, shut up and sit down, they said.

No, read what I wrote. I said that they are guilty under the law. The law now considers them guilty whether they perpetrated the act or not.
    Pffft...the law is an ass.

And what law?

I would bet a month's pay that no law was broken, a law in the sense that a bill was presented to Congress, voted on and approved, sent to the Senate, voted and approved and then signed by a President.

No, what I bet they are going to jail for is noncompliance with a government fatwa, a dictate decreed by the FEC.

Issued in a dictatorship
    Last edited by Anti Federalist; 05-07-2016 at 03:54 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast